Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iapplelove

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
Or is it just me maybe? I’m noticing especially trying to text quickly, ios 13 is quickly replacing my words with words I have never used and in some cases never even heard of.
Most of the time it will quickly replace a word ( even if spelled correctly) with another word that doesn’t even make sense in the context of the sentence.

Its actually getting frustrating now, especially trying to quickly respond to messages. A simple text now seems to take much longer. And even composing this thread it just changed the word “text” to test. I had to go back and change it.

Do not remember auto correct being this bad before the update. Just venting I guess, not really a fan of ios 13 as of yet.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I have to bump this. Autocorrect is awful in iOS 13. I’ll be tying something, realize I made a mistake, hit the delete key to fix a partial misspell but autocorrect doesn’t look at the whole word, just from the point where I deleted and then tries to correct that. Very annoying. I’ve also noticed with voice translation I can see on the screen that it’s capture what I said correctly but when I go back to the keyboard it replaces the accurate translation with something else. This happened to me prior to iOS 13 as well but it seems more prominent now.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I have to bump this again. Auto correct sucks so bad it isn’t even funny. And often times when I use voice dictation it will properly capture my words in real time on the screen but the minute I stop and go back to the keyboard it replaces the correct words with something else. Whatever they’ve done with auto correct in iOS 13 they need to undo. iOS 12 was much better.

Blue Hawk

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2017
Germany
It’s very annoying. In any language the correction is changing previous words into something else which doesn’t make sense. Swiping doesn’t work well anytime too

Reactions: Jay Bishop

iapplelove

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
I have to bump this again. Auto correct sucks so bad it isn’t even funny. And often times when I use voice dictation it will properly capture my words in real time on the screen but the minute I stop and go back to the keyboard it replaces the correct words with something else. Whatever they’ve done with auto correct in iOS 13 they need to undo. iOS 12 was much better.

Thanks, glad I’m not the only one experiencing horrible auto correct with iOS 13.

iapplelove

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
My phone is changing „Tom“ into „Atom“. Makes „is“ into „IS“. „Doesn’t“ is „didn’t“ and „didn’t“ is „doesn’t.

I think the iOS 13 auto correct hates us.

I get the IS all the time. Horrible. Sometimes it even gets it right at first, then instantly changes it.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
Yes. Typing on an iOS device is now a catastrophe. A complete comedy of unpredictable errors. Very often, double space even deletes the last letter of a word before adding the full-stop (period). There are so many laughable issues with the keyboard that I’m not even able to describe half of them.

Even just typing this short message has been a disaster. It was easier to type accurately on a 3.5” iPhone in 2007 than it is on a 10.5” tablet in 2019. There is something seriously broken here. I’m a huge Apple fan but there’s just no getting way from this.

TETENAL

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2014
I don’t. I have reseted the dictionary but didn’t help.
I'm sure you don't, and I didn't want to imply you do. But I assume Apple is doing machine learning on the collective text input of all users (with their differential privacy and stuff). That must be where the is->IS substitution comes from.

iapplelove

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
I'm sure you don't, and I didn't want to imply you do. But I assume Apple is doing machine learning on the collective text input of all users (with their differential privacy and stuff). That must be where the is->IS substitution comes from.

Maybe it’s me, I’m a little slow. But I don’t get the accusation ?

TETENAL

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2014
Maybe it’s me, I’m a little slow. But I don’t get the accusation ?
There was no accusation, just the observation that enough people have been texting about the Islamic State for Apple's machine learning algorithms to pick it up apparently.

iapplelove

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
There was no accusation, just the observation that enough people have been texting about the Islamic State for Apple's machine learning algorithms to pick it up apparently.

well in a way that is an accusation no? I mean I never even knew that IS stood for that. Any time I typed IS, it was on accident. Every time. So yeah a little bit of an assumption
[automerge]1574792373[/automerge]
I am baffled by the fact that iOS STILL can't figure out that I want to type my son's name 'Christian' and not Christmas. Didn't I hear something about 'machine learning?' Apparently not.

And NO ONE I know has EVER wanted to type 'ducking.' Not even once.

:(

lmao that happens all the ducking time

Reactions: orbital~debris

iapplelove

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
No, I never intended to imply that you have been texting about the IS.

Apple's machine learning algorithms learn from everybody's text input [1]. Enough other people have been texting about the IS, so Apple's algorithms picked it up.

Got it. I always thought most of the auto correct was based on my usage, but obviosuly now it’s a much larger combination.

ValerieA

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2019
By reading this, maybe I just got lucky. I've had no problem in iOS 13 with auto-correct, be it typing or swiping. I had trouble with iOS 12 though. Odd that it seems everybody is having issues, maybe my vocabulary isn't as expansive (or I don't use it enough) as most of you so the words it would need to auto-correct would be simple to know what I meant (ie car or cat)

Der Keyser

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2016
IOS autocorrect has allways been like that for me. Tried to activate it with every mew release since IOS5, but the experience is just HORRIBLE. Maybe it’s because some texts is in english others are in danish - heck, some are even a bit mixed as danish is missing quite a lot of words that are better explained using the english expression.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.