Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I thought it’d be corrected with the latest updates of iOS 13, like 13.3 or even 13.4, but no luck.

Do you know if the auto-correct feature and keyboard suggestions work locally? Or does it connect with Apple’s servers?

However, on iOS 12 it is still rock solid.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Just wanted to post in agreement that I am having all these same issues. Also many of my friends are too. What did they do to iOS 13 to cause this? I've never had so much trouble typing on my iOS device since I've owned one. I hope Apple fixes this in iOS 14.
I've had issues with auto correct and predictive text since the very first version of iPad OS 13 up to and including 13.4.1. I've given up sending bug reports and just chalk it up to iOS 13 having too many little issues to correct. Everything else works great for me but inserting words chosen from predictive text has been awful and fails all the time. I just type everything out and ignore the text bar now

Reactions: jhall8

chov523

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2020
Lol literally just made an account on here so I could chime in. I've been having the exact same issues with my iPhone -- voice dictation, autocorrect, swipe to text... it's all been incredibly garbage for the past few months (I guess it must have started with iOS 13 for me). I've struggled to find any other forums / sites that talk about the issue. Glad to hear I'm not the only one.

armandxp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Orlando, FL
I agree with everyone on here. Autocorrections seem to have gotten worse, predictive text, dictation. I type extremely fast and used to never have as many errors that I have of late. My typing style hasn't changed? I can't wait to hear iOS features next month. Hoping this update will be an extremely stable, helpful update.

Reactions: iapplelove

n-cholas

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2009
4DE13147-FED7-4A78-A525-E41E9EC610F8.jpeg

It’s just so bad!

ride2x4

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2020
Same issue! However re-toggling all switches in keyboard settings seems to have fixed the issue. Or it just seems to me. Will test it during the day.

mackiemesser97

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2020
Same frustrations here. There would be very easy fixes (if only someone with a brain would work on this!!)...

And these are my two biggest complaints:

- why Autocorrect me a second time when I take the time to correct the (wrong) Autocorrect!?!

- why Autocorrect a name when I am responding to someone's message with a certain spelling - and this someone signed his message with his (unusual) name and its correct spelling..? There should be some AI involved!

(By the way, when I quickly want to respond to a message and look at the suggested words, why in God's name does it not suggest the name of the person I am responding to when I start the sentence "Good morning, dear...."?!? Also, "greetings from..." never considers where I am when I look at suggested words/cities. In my case, it suggests sometimes "München", though I have never been there and am based in Vienna.)

Sigh. #wishStevewouldstillbearoundtoreaddirectmessages

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I know this is the iOS 13 subforum but, has anyone tried the iOS 14 keyboard corrector? Does it still suck on iOS 14? Thank you.

iapplelove

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
Auto correct still sucks. Siri still sucks. I can dictate the same exact sentence to google, even faster and it nails it every time.

Maybe I should just switch from Apple? Seems like services are the bread and butter these days, and I’m not into any of their offerings.

Jay Bishop

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2021
Or is it just me maybe? I’m noticing especially trying to text quickly, ios 13 is quickly replacing my words with words I have never used and in some cases never even heard of.
Most of the time it will quickly replace a word ( even if spelled correctly) with another word that doesn’t even make sense in the context of the sentence.

Its actually getting frustrating now, especially trying to quickly respond to messages. A simple text now seems to take much longer. And even composing this thread it just changed the word “text” to test. I had to go back and change it.

Do not remember auto correct being this bad before the update. Just venting I guess, not really a fan of ios 13 as of yet.
B...S... Neural engine Artificial Intelligence is for voice and face recognition, dumbasses should start with better language recognition, context-sensitive corrections with a graduated series of interventions (say, only spelling to within one letter to cover simple typos, a list of common user-typo corrections to override the trigger happy whole-word substitution which occurs when you hit send, and an array of predictive interventionism, from soft to hard, it would be waaaay more useful! And what's with the center-justified list of languages that pop up when I want to switch languages, every day I type in four different alphabets, weekly in five, allow me to list them as I wish, take friccin Emoji's off the list, prevent mishit keyboard switchovers, how many times have I found myself aghast at the autocorrect when I notice the iPhone has subreptitiously switched to German on me!!! And the languages are not even alphabetically sorted, OMG, nor is their order user-attributable, English, Emoji, German, Spanish, French...??? WTF? And who makes a quick reference list center-justified? There is no clean line of sight to recognize the word from the first letter or two, as they are completely out of axis! OMG. It is the most tone-deaf application of technology I have seen in a very long time. Just crazy dumb, and from Apple? Who are these people? Pimpled teenage video game enthusiasts? Egad. Yeah, corporately induced to switch from Android to Apple. Argh. Hello user-unfriendliness, hello Father knows best, hello shut-up and bear it...

Last edited:
Reactions: Pezimak

Jay Bishop

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2021
well in a way that is an accusation no? I mean I never even knew that IS stood for that. Any time I typed IS, it was on accident. Every time. So yeah a little bit of an assumption
[automerge]1574792373[/automerge]

lmao that happens all the ducking time
The word accusation comes back repeatedly but it is never stated what anyone accused anyone else of.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ruggy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2017
I'm so tired of autocorrect and voice to text
What is is with this thing?
You check everything carefully, correct the few mistakes, press send and only then does it turn it into complete garbage.
Sometimes it's hilarious, sometimes embarrassing and sometimes you can't even make out what it was that you said in the first place.
It's not even that the recognition is actually that bad it's when it sends it to the server that it mangles it.
Good luck with apple car and voice commands.
Rant over.

JoeMac2492

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2021
This is what makes me NOT want to update my Apple software. EVER. Zero user testing and quality control. Just a bunch of smart-assed design engineers and computer scientists diddling themselves with “cool new changes.“ I handled customer satisfaction for a large Silicon Valley chip company for more than 20 years. Among my responsibilities: trying to get engineers to test their designs before rollout to customers. Never did happen in all that time. Arrogant SOBs.

Sbeav

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2021
Auto correct still sucks. Siri still sucks. I can dictate the same exact sentence to google, even faster and it nails it every time.

Maybe I should just switch from Apple? Seems like services are the bread and butter these days, and I’m not into any of their offerings.
I never used apple until the iPhone 12 and could kick myself over and over for it...I use my old Android at home since there are so MANY features that are available and it's ease of use outmatches iPhone...it is so frustrating that I'm not allowed to do certain functions, autocorrect is a joke(it doesn't even recognize common words), split screen function isn't available on certain apps, on and on...for it being such a "superior" phone, it has a long way to go to catch up to the quality and capabilities that cheaper androids have had for years now. Very disappointed..won't be staying with Apple when I upgrade.

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
Here we are in iOS 15 and absolutely nothing has changed with the God awful auto correct. I really find it shocking Apple thinks it's solution is acceptable after all these years. One day it'll get it right, maybe...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.