Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How do you like Zuck?

• Total voters

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Wait, what? One of the reasons people bought smartphones was Facebook. Simply put, without Facebook, the iPhone would be just a small niche product. Facebook made people of all ages and backgrounds want to have an internet connection. like it or not, Facebook has changed people's lifes as much as -if not more than- Google or Apple.
FaceBook had zero influence in me buying a phone smart or otherwise. I bought my 1st gen iPhone because I wanted the phone. :)
The success of the iPhone and Android enabled FaceBook. And far less influence on people's lives than either Google or Apple…

Maybe I am in the minority (again) but nope, FB was never the reason I wanted a smartphone.
Agree.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
FaceBook had zero influence in me buying a phone smart or otherwise. I bought my 1st gen iPhone because I wanted the phone. :)
The success of the iPhone and Android enabled FaceBook. And far less influence on people's lives than either Google or Apple…

Agree.

Facebook was not the reason I acquired a smart phone (the iPhone SE); rather, I bought the phone because I wanted the phone.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
Wait, what? One of the reasons people bought smartphones was Facebook. Simply put, without Facebook, the iPhone would be just a small niche product. Facebook made people of all ages and backgrounds want to have an internet connection. like it or not, Facebook has changed people's lifes as much as -if not more than- Google or Apple.
I know none that had their life changed by FB. Never heard of that before.
But I'm sure there are some FB fans. So, good for them, whomever they are ;)

Steve Jobs however changed my life. The products was an extension of that inspiring brilliant genius mind.
Exactly!
Never even heard of FB when I bought my
iPhone 4 :p

Reactions: arkitect

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
…what?

I thought the farthest-out thing I'd read today would be in the thread Possible further evidence of surface water erosion on Moon. It's hard to imagine a world in which the iPhone (and Android alternatives) wouldn't be a smashing success. They were iPods (which were already selling like crazy) that made phone calls! Add to that the capacitive input and large gorgeous screen, and I think the realization of ubiquitous pocket computing was inevitable.

Plus, Facebook only had a janky mobile site when the iPhone launched. It wouldn't be until iOS 2 that they released an app… to mixed reviews.

EDIT: This post was updated. @arkitect and @Scepticalscribe, feel free to take back your tiny thumbs-ups.
Credit where credit is due, Facebook was instrumental in the Egyptian Revolution of 2011. It both allowed for the dissemination of information (especially video of police brutality) and provided a platform for protestors to organize.

The term "Facebook" can be found 23 times on the Wikipedia article—that I totally didn't have to skim to write this—about the revolution.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
…what?

I thought the farthest-out thing I'd read today would be in the thread Possible further evidence of surface water erosion on Moon. It's hard to imagine a world in which the iPhone (and Android alternatives) wouldn't be a smashing success. They were iPods (which were already selling like crazy) that made phone calls! Add to that the capacitive input and large gorgeous screen, and I think the realization of ubiquitous pocket computing was inevitable.

Plus, Facebook only had a janky mobile site when the iPhone launched. It wouldn't be until iOS 2 that they released an app… to mixed reviews.

EDIT: This post was updated. @arkitect and @Scepticalscribe, feel free to take back your tiny thumbs-ups.

Credit where credit is due, Facebook was instrumental in the Egyptian Revolution of 2011. It both allowed for the dissemination of information (especially video of police brutality) and provided a platform for protestors to organize.

The term "Facebook" can be found 23 times on the Wikipedia article—that I totally didn't have to skim to write this—about the revolution.

Nah, I'll leave my thumbs up where it is.

After all, you mentioned my very favourite thread (outside of some of the more deranged political stuff), the thread about "possible further evidence of surface water erosion on the Moon".

Re the revolution in Egypt, I grant you the influence of FB, (although KSA blames al-Jazeera) and some of the most repressive societies in the world are home to many citizens who - in public at least - are locked behind compound walls, but who, in private, have a very active Facebook life, profile, and presence.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
On my 5th or 6th iPhone and never been on Facebook. Never created an account, never will.
I’m not really the social media type and I’m far to security conscious to start revealing stuff I’d rather keep private thanks.

Reactions: Mac'nCheese

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
It's his face and its punchability. No one likes the idea of a smug little nerd billionaire who has access to everyone's information (that they provided voluntarily, mind you, but anyway...)

Elon Musk is pretty hated too, but he's actually a known douchebag.

Reactions: Mac'nCheese

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
It's his face and its punchability. No one likes the idea of a smug little nerd billionaire who has access to everyone's information (that they provided voluntarily, mind you, but anyway...)

Elon Musk is pretty hated too, but he's actually a known douchebag.

Not just the punchability of his visage (tempting though that may be).

Rather, it is the smugness, the lack of ethical considerations, the greed, the arrogance of stating that "privacy is no longer a social norm" (says who?) and the complete abrogation of responsibility for the (negative) effects of what he has set in motion, as though being a tech genius somehow absolves you from having to think about consequences.

Last edited:

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Here is what Zuckerberg thinks of Facebook's users (this quote dates back to when Facebook was Harvard-only):

Zuck: Yeah so if you ever need info about anyone at Harvard
Zuck: Just ask
Zuck: I have over 4,000 emails, pictures, addresses, SNS
[Redacted Friend's Name]: What? How'd you manage that one?
Zuck: People just submitted it.
Zuck: I don't know why.
Zuck: They "trust me"
Zuck: Dumb f**ks

Confirmed by The New Yorker. Emphasis is mine.

rafark

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2017

Agree.

Facebook was not the reason I acquired a smart phone (the iPhone SE); rather, I bought the phone because I wanted the phone.

Steve Jobs however changed my life. The products was an extension of that inspiring brilliant genius mind.
Exactly!
Never even heard of FB when I bought my
iPhone 4 :p

…what?

When I said that people bought smartphones because of Facebook I didn't mean "techy" people like most from this forum. I meant regular people, who didn't own or care for computers. Before this decade, most families would be just fine with 1 computer.

How many "regular" people owned a 1st or 2nd gen iPhone? That's right, very few, most were Apple fans or techy people. non-techy people had no reason -or interest- in buying such a expensive device. It was mostly a niche product. Because an iPhone with no apps is a pretty -but useless- piece of metal and glass. Without Facebook people had sms and regular calls to comunicate, and a computer for the rest (amazon, schoolwork , etc). There was no real reason for each member of the family to have a $500-800+ device.

Now I'm not saying Facebook is the only app or online service, but it is the one with the most registered users. If you look at the number of Facebook and smartphone users worldwide, you'll notice they are tightly related: 2.2b and 2.1b respectively.

Google (search) and Facebook + smartphones are the components that made the internet of today.

In fact people here hate Facebook so much because it changed the course of an election. That hardly makes it a product "no one has heard of."

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
When I said that people bought smartphones because of Facebook I didn't mean "techy" people like most from this forum. I meant regular people, who didn't own or care for computers. Before this decade, most families would be just fine with 1 computer.

How many "regular" people owned a 1st or 2nd gen iPhone? That's right, very few, most were Apple fans or techy people. non-techy people had no reason -or interest- in buying such a expensive device. It was mostly a niche product. Because an iPhone with no apps is a pretty -but useless- piece of metal and glass. Without Facebook people had sms and regular calls to comunicate, and a computer for the rest (amazon, schoolwork , etc). There was no real reason for each member of the family to have a $500-800+ device.

Now I'm not saying Facebook is the only app or online service, but it is the one with the most registered users. If you look at the number of Facebook and smartphone users worldwide, you'll notice they are tightly related: 2.2b and 2.1b respectively.

Google (search) and Facebook + smartphones are the components that made the internet of today.

In fact people here hate Facebook so much because it changed the course of an election. That hardly makes it a product "no one has heard of."

Yeah, still nope

rafark

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2017
I don't expect everyone here to change their minds, it is well known all of you here hate it to death. ;)

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
He's a reptile

Attachments

• the-babylon-bee-zuckerberg-loses-contact-lens-during-senate-hearing-32173165.png
    the-babylon-bee-zuckerberg-loses-contact-lens-during-senate-hearing-32173165.png
    135.8 KB · Views: 258

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I think it's strange (but a sign of the times we live in) that the thread title asks "why everyone hates Zuck" but then opens with a poll asking whether we actually do hate him or (gasp) instead love him... with a few more choices also offered up at only one or the other end of the spectrum.

Really not everything is so binary as we seem to make it even in some of our non-political forum threads. So... I too figure there should be an "I'm indifferent" or "I have mixed feelings about him" option in the polll.

It's important also to note that there is or should be a difference between how one feels about Zuckerberg vs. about "his" product, which product at this point is definitely not just the product that he personally would choose to have out there. After all, he's been more or less forced to alter it in dozens of ways, and often fairly soon after rolling out his company's idea of a next iteration of the application.

Still it's clear that the account owners' personal data and related social profiles are the actual products of Facebook. That, I do really dislike, and not just about Facebook. I did have a Facebook account briefly in 2010 when privacy "options" were proliferating... but defaults then trended to sharing everything with everyone. I saw that and bailed.

Lack of privacy has become the way of our entire internet experience. The whole planet is being drawn into an always-on, always-monitored circumstance, one step, one app, one wireless gizmo at a time. I don't blame Zuckerberg for that. We are who permit it, one tradeoff at a time. In Europe there are some better online privacy options now but in the USA it would seem we're largely still considered fair game for those who would profit from social media data mining. /rant :rolleyes:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I think it's strange (but a sign of the times we live in) that the thread title asks "why everyone hates Zuck" but then opens with a poll asking whether we actually do hate him or (gasp) instead love him... with a few more choices also offered up at only one or the other end of the spectrum.

Really not everything is so binary as we seem to make it even in some of our non-political forum threads. So... I too figure there should be an "I'm indifferent" or "I have mixed feelings about him" option in the polll.

It's important also to note that there is or should be a difference between how one feels about Zuckerberg vs. about "his" product, which product at this point is definitely not just the product that he personally would choose to have out there. After all, he's been more or less forced to alter it in dozens of ways, and often fairly soon after rolling out his company's idea of a next iteration of the application.

Still it's clear that the account owners' personal data and related social profiles are the actual products of Facebook. That, I do really dislike, and not just about Facebook. I did have a Facebook account briefly in 2010 when privacy "options" were proliferating... but defaults then trended to sharing everything with everyone. I saw that and bailed.

Lack of privacy has become the way of our entire internet experience. The whole planet is being drawn into an always-on, always-monitored circumstance, one step, one app, one wireless gizmo at a time. I don't blame Zuckerberg for that. We are who permit it, one tradeoff at a time. In Europe there are some better online privacy options now but in the USA it would seem we're largely still considered fair game for those who would profit from social media data mining. /rant :rolleyes:

Agree that these binary choices (and the attitudes and wider culture that gives rise to it) are very limiting and miss the point entirely about mixed feelings and nuance as they cannot measure it (and will use that to deny that it exists).

Last edited:
Reactions: LizKat and arkitect

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
…as though being a tech genius somehow absolves you from having to think about consequences.
Oh, but it does.

Money insulates you from consequences. It makes you above the law and allows you to do whatever you wish without fear of reprisal.

No matter how much anyone tells you the rich are not above the law, the reality says different.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Personally, I find it somewhat curious that the OP, firstly, joined this forum solely to ask this question (this is his first post), and secondly, hasn't made a return visit to the strange thread (complete with limited binary voting options) that he has started.

Last edited:

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Money insulates you from consequences. It makes you above the law and allows you to do whatever you wish without fear of reprisal.

No matter how much anyone tells you the rich are not above the law, the reality says different.

With the Panama Papers, we saw hard proof that the rich and powerful around the world lived in a separate non-taxable, non-accountable economic system above that which the rest of us use. The Panama Papers were supposed to change the world.

But almost nothing happened at all. In fact, we've largely forgotten. "Wait for it to blow over" is an effective strategy--just let the news cycle to shift to Kim Kardashian's butt or the latest royal wedding.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
With the Panama Papers, we saw hard proof that the rich and powerful around the world lived in a separate non-taxable, non-accountable economic system above that which the rest of us use. The Panama Papers were supposed to change the world.

But almost nothing happened at all. In fact, we've largely forgotten. "Wait for it to blow over" is an effective strategy--just let the news cycle to shift to Kim Kardashian's butt or the latest royal wedding.
Yep. And this class of society is global now. The have the ability and capacity to wall themselves off from disaster, maintain their own security/armies, mint their own money and move where they wish. They are a government unto themselves.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Personally, I find it somewhat curious that the OP, firstly, joined this forum solely to ask this question (this is his first post), and secondly, hasn't made a return visit to the strange thread (complete with limited binary voting options) that he has started.

:D "Mark, we hardly knew ye..." :D

Either Zuckerberg tried to check in anonymously as an entrepreneur from India (per the OP's profile) or else whoever it is has been called away on some perhaps more JamesBond-worthy enterprise.

Or... some entrepreneur from India figures he has an app as good as FB ready to roll out, and he just wants to find out how it is that Zuckerberg became quite disliked and/or quite admired, and he wants to avoid some of the pitfalls and pratfalls to which he thinks Zuckerberg's personality or behavior may have contributed.

Weird how he put a poll and and tags into his very first post. Not your average newbie.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Made for another thread but seems relevant here. Mark Zuckerberg trying to comprehend what Facebook would be like permitting users to delete their accounts and without data-mining:

PYdmazM.gif

he just wants to find out how it is that Zuckerberg became quite disliked and/or quite admired, and he wants to avoid some of the pitfalls and pratfalls to which he thinks Zuckerberg's personality or behavior may have contributed.
The OP is now tossing out all of their pastel t-shirts, booking elocution classes, and reading up on the history of privacy and human rights.

Last edited:

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Panem et circenses.

There is a depressing and somewhat unsettling truth to your post, alas.
And politicians — the people we vote into office supposedly to look after our interests — have all smelt the money, and boy do they like what they smell. Like an addict they are willing to throw us all overboard as long as they get to keep their snouts in the trough. A trough kept well supplied by the Murdochs, Trumps, Zuckermanns and a whole menagerie of oligarchs.

100%.
People's short attention spans as they suck at the udder of social media.
Remember when we laughed at simpleton Homer Simpson? He now lives among us. He is everyman. Ooooh! Look! Donuts. Oooh! Look! Butterflies! Ooooh! Loook! New iPhones! and so it goes… meanwhile the world is going to hell in several unsustainably sourced handbaskets.
I'm old enough to look back in anger and disgust and dismay. So much of history is repeating itself.

These are not good times.

Reactions: eyoungren

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I don't expect everyone here to change their minds, it is well known all of you here hate it to death. ;)
Alternatively, it could be that you didn't provide a compelling enough argument to change anybody's mind; no point raised against you was rebutted, and the basis of your argument seems to be that we're "techy" people and unable to empathize with "regular" people.

When the iPhone was released, I was 10–11 and living in rural New England. We had dialup. Well, we would have dialup. After seeing ads for the iPhone on TV, I wanted that thing.

Anecdotal, sure, but think of what the iPhone was. Apple's best selling product, the iPod, with a ****ing phone! Average people were interested in this.

There were already massively successful smartphones: Blackberries. Although coveted in enterprise, these things seemed daunting (to me, anyway) with their jam-packed keyboard and d-pad navigation. The iPhone was a Blackberry for regular people… with a built in iPod. Its success was not down to one social media site.

You can either continue to ignore the responses you've gotten, assuming we all just hate Facebook, or you can take what we've said at face value. In any case, I gotta go respond to a notification from Facebook Messenger. ;)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.