Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How do you like Zuck?

• Total voters

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
And oddly enough, the OP isn't the only newbie whose sole message is in this thread. It must be interesting to frequent an Apple-based tech forum long enough to learn the layout, finally find one post/topic that impels you to create an account, and then to never (as of yet) post again.

It struck me as an unusually subtle form of spam.

Maybe just too shy to post in the newbie thread: Hi, I'm Mark and I'm finally getting interested in data privacy so I thought I'd drop in here and find out what I can about each of you. Oh wait, what I meant was I'd drop in here and find out if there's a road back for me or I'm pretty much toast for having proclaimed privacy completely optional years ago.

Alternatively, the guy is a political aide trying to scarf up some "likeability" data on Zuckerberg, ahead of the next time ol' Zuck is hauled up in front of a Congressional committee. If "everyone" hates him, how dangerous can it be for a congress critter to really whale on the dude for political points back home, even if the critter doesn't have a clue about how Facebook works or what exactly Zuckerberg had to do with the last tweak some engineer made to an algo in Facebook that exposed a zillion users' contacts to the cosmos "by mistake" for just long enough for a forewarned entity to grab it.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I admire him for building an empire and making money, That said I can't stand him because he's a pompous ass.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Thread won't be really be complete unless hieveryone weighs in. I'd be curious to know if the hi might not at least admire the FB founder for having made a lotta dough and getting some really nice stuff (nice house, wife, security guards, whatever)... or Zuck might even finally rack up a little love in the OP's poll.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Thread won't be really be complete unless hieveryone weighs in. I'd be curious to know if the hi might not at least admire the FB founder for having made a lotta dough and getting some really nice stuff (nice house, wife, security guards, whatever)... or Zuck might even finally rack up a little love in the OP's poll.

You are absolutely right: We have been using the wrong metric with which to measure this all along.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I'm tempted to grab some of Hi's comment history and run it through a Markov-esque generator (pt-voicebox) to approximate his most likely comment à la this guest feedback I so generously provided for a photo contest.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
I'm tempted to grab some of Hi's comment history and run it through a Markov-esque generator (pt-voicebox) to approximate his most likely comment à la this guest feedback I so generously provided for a photo contest.

do-it-chancellor-palpatine-21420158.png

CZcfj1

Reactions: AngerDanger

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Thread won't be really be complete unless hieveryone weighs in…

You are absolutely right: We have been using the wrong metric with which to measure this all along.

Alright, I finally got pt-voicebox working again; apparently, strings are encoded differently in newer versions of Python, and the older version I was trying to use instead wasn't… interacting with PIP and Six correctly… or something. I'm an incompetent designer, not an incompetent computational linguist! But after reinstalling a few packages several times over and changing my local aliases, things seem to actually run again. The really hard part was collecting data for pt-voicebox to use to predict Hieverone's most likely comment.

I now have over seven thousand words (copied and pasted rather than grabbed procedurally) of some really… varied posts. I quickly realized that if you disregard the PRSI forum, potential data (random forum posts of his) tend to be really mundane and focused on troubleshooting and aesthetic preference. Once you start looking at his PRSI contributions, you really wanna focus on original threads; that's where things get interesting. In these posts, I encountered a jarring combination of childish oversimplification, greed, naïveté, a lack of self-awareness, and… alleged financial prowess. I have to admit, this combination impelled every patriotic bone in my body to try and get the OP into public office, but rationality prevailed.

I now have all of that living in my computer, and I'm afraid of what I created…

Anyway, enough waffling; here's the final product.
Why does everyone hate Zuck? The same problems as Trump; political influence. People have to be simpletons or whatever. If you believe someone who makes more money than you, you want to be heartless, meister. The iPhone is successful like Zuck; the rich and powerful people all have time to get married, watches, and rich, but greed is good. Although the narcisist works hard, he isn't really like yourself theres crime that average joes mostly lose and actually never change. Women are people.

There are a couple signs that this isn't authentic. The length exceeding two sentences is one, but the last sentence just damning.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I'm ambivalent. On one side, I really hate Facebook and by extension, it's creator. OTOH, I find it hard to hate anyone so strikingly similar to Lt. Cmd Data.:oops:
There were hundreds of meme comparing the two back when the Senate grilled Zuck.
1523463418_Meme1.jpg
The Zuckerberg is a robot jokes now make sense to me. Don't watch Star Trek, but the chappy on the right is a robot (that much I know) and does look remarkably similar to the young jackass on the left.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Once you start looking at his PRSI contributions, you really wanna focus on original threads; that's where things get interesting. In these posts, I encountered a jarring combination of childish oversimplification, greed, naïveté, a lack of self-awareness, and… alleged financial prowess. I have to admit, this combination impelled every patriotic bone in my body to try and get the OP into public office, but rationality prevailed.

I now have all of that living in my computer, and I'm afraid of what I created…

:D I thought I was nuts even screen-grabbing a few of his offerings once in awhile for a private collection of wonderments. You are brave. :D

That simulated post from what you gathered seems pretty on the money actually. :rolleyes: And yeah we already have someone in high office with a stellar collection of those attributes. I'm hoping that has been our one-off experiment as a nation in seeing how that translates from private sector antics to "public service" but only time will tell.

smallcoffee

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2014
North America
Wait yourself…

I bought my first smartphone in May 2009 because I wanted a smartphone. It wasn't an iPhone and I wasn't on Facebook at the time. I simply wanted to be able to email and browse the internet outside of my home.

Facebook didn't even come into the picture for me until November 2009 and that was driven solely by a friend pleading for me to join - not because I wanted Facebook on my phone. And when I did get it I dealt with it on my laptop. I didn't integrate it into my phone until 2011.

Maybe I am in the minority (again) but nope, FB was never the reason I wanted a smartphone.

Yea... Facebook was just a cool app to have if you had a Facebook account.

Basically, people don't like Zuckerberg because his product is the equivalent of mental cigarettes.

Reactions: eyoungren
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.