Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Those programs can cause more issues than they help. Really in modern computers. Those cleaners aren't very useful. I don't feel they've ever been necessary on Macs. (except Conflict Catcher in the classic days)

I don't know what Clean My Mac offers. The most I'd use it for is to turn off startup items you don't want. Although those aren't usually a huge hog like they can get to be in Windows.

I used to use cleaners a lot in Windows when working on people's computers. Since Windows 10. I've felt that's largely unnecessary. Even before that. I just used them to quickly navigate the built in processes. As it consolidated tasks like uninstalling programs and flipping startup items on/off. In the XP days and earlier. Utilities were much more useful.

KeesMacPro

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2019
How does it slow it down?
Generally a Mac OS takes care of its own very well without any manual/3rd party app interference.
Since the introduction of SIP and even more with the latest generation APFS it's vitually impossible to "mess up the system" (unless you consciously do some extra steps to work around the system's protection).
In other words , if there's a need to clean up , it's most likely a user files issue, which can be avoided by keeping the user data clean and organized.
Mac OS is a very clearly structured operating system , so with some basic knowledge and common sense there's no need at all to install any "clean-up" software IMHO.

TBH I never installed it, and I'm sure I never will , but as stated by others chances are very likely the app "cleans" too much so causes other issues.
Perhaps the app runs in the background causing slow down , I dont know....

Over more than 2 decades of Mac OS usage, I've installed and tested several other apps for cleaning and organizing, but sometimes an app literally cleans too much and causes other inconveniences.
In other words, keep your Mac clean and organized while using it and all is and will be good.

theramajor

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2019
Wisconsin
I believe most folks distrust Clean My Mac because the app has a tendency to "clean" too much and that can causes problems.

My personal opinion and advice is to stay away from that app.
I see what you mean. Namely the 'enable Time Machine snapshots thinning' feature in CMM which erases the local Time Machine backups.

Apps downloaded form the app store can easily be removed by dragging them into the trash can. 3rd party apps leave install files and folders in the Home directory that remain even after dragging them into the trash can.

KeesMacPro

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2019
Apps downloaded form the app store can easily be removed by dragging them into the trash can. 3rd party apps leave install files and folders in the Home directory that remain even after dragging them into the trash can.
Apps dont install anything in the Home folder( at least they shouldnt ), but in System and/or Library, in most cases necessary to even make the app function correctly.
This applies to apps downloaded from the App Store and 3rd party.
Normally this is no problem at all, but in rare occasions this may cause issues.
If there's good support by the app developer, info about how and where to delete all files is provided (if you cant find them yourself).

To get rid of all old/unnecessary files after a long time of accumulation, the best way IMO is to erase the drive completely, do a clean install and recover all data and settings with Migration Assistant from a backup.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Apps downloaded form the app store can easily be removed by dragging them into the trash can.
The better way to uninstall apps from the App Store is to open LaunchPad, hold down the option key, and click the small X.

Reactions: KeesMacPro

theramajor

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2019
Wisconsin
The better way to uninstall apps from the App Store is to open LaunchPad, hold down the option key, and click the small X.

True but all the remaining files and folders from apps outside the app store still remain on the hard disk.

KeesMacPro

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2019
True but all the remaining files and folders from apps outside the app store still remain on the hard disk.
I wouldnt be so sure about "apps from the App Store" not leaving any traces after moving them to the trash.

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned: this thread is going in circles....

Alameda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
Maybe it deletes caches, which temporarily frees up loads of disk space, but the cache’s get rebuilt, which slows the Mac down, especially if it has to download content to do so.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Curious OP, what did the people in that community say when you asked them this question?

theramajor

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2019
Wisconsin
Curious OP, what did the people in that community say when you asked them this question?
When someone has a question about their Mac being slow the senior guys on the forum will ask for something like an EtreCheck report. Anytime somebody posts a report with any type of adblocker, virus scanner or cleaner they'll tell you to remove them and say they slow down a Mac.

That may be true to some extent but what they don't tell you is all the files and folders left by 3rd party apps that don't get removed when you just "drag and drop" into the trash can.

Theres around +20 folders within /Library and ~/Library where leftover files remain. I created a macro to review all these leftover files at once before tossing them in the trash.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
When someone has a question about their Mac being slow the senior guys on the forum will ask for something like an EtreCheck report. Anytime somebody posts a report with any type of adblocker, virus scanner or cleaner they'll tell you to remove them and say they slow down a Mac.

That may be true to some extent but what they don't tell you is all the files and folders left by 3rd party apps that don't get removed when you just "drag and drop" into the trash can.

Theres around +20 folders within /Library and ~/Library where leftover files remain. I created a macro to review all these leftover files at once before tossing them in the trash.

I asked you what their reasoning would be and I take it from your answer you didn’t really ask for specifics from “them”. I don’t have much sympathy for generation statements from anyone if they cannot back it up with specifics. The Apple support folks are mostly just private individuals posting on Apple’s pages.

A bunch of not needed files or folders are in my opinion unlikely to affect a Mac much other than fill the storage.

On an unrelated note, that’s one cool looking avatar cat, is that a Nebelung breed? (Sorry for the OT)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.