Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
The current solution (credit cards) do the job perfectly.
The infrastructure for credit cards is in place.

NFC is kidna the opposite of passbook. While passbook leverages existing infrastructure, NFC requires significant capital investment.

Not really significant ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FeliCa

Connected to your POS via USB cost each around $25 ... You can get the reader on Amazon

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
NFC is everywhere here (as PayPass), and I have a PayPass enabled VISA debit card. When *it works* it's more convenient. No PIN for purchases under $100. Wave and go.

When it doesn't (which is about half the time), it's hold and wait. Try again. Again. Give up and insert card and type PIN anyway. *sigh*

For a phone it would have to offer the same amount of convenience: No PIN, no apps to open. Setup would have to connect to your bank account. I'm only seeing headaches for Apple in the implementation and setup of this to make it as seamless as the PayPass enabled cards are meant to be (see above hassles).

It's great in theory and might work in the future. Right now? Not worth it.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
When it doesn't (which is about half the time), it's hold and wait. Try again. Again. Give up and insert card and type PIN anyway. *sigh*

This is what it sounds like for most people. Thus, it's a no brainer that Apple didn't bother with it. It doesn't work.

I have now formulated my response to anyone that says "But it doesn't even have NFC."

Good talk.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I guess security is an issue especially using it as a wallet. I dont think time is right and is something that will gradually get popular, once issues are ironed out fully.

This.

I simply do not trust it. It has been hacked on a number of android devices, and it doesn't do anything I can't do without it.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
NFC is rapidly expanding outside the US. I use it virtually every day.

It's more secure than swipe it credit card systems according to the major credit card companies. So much so they are offering incentives for merchants to add NFC terminals.

Though the Android implementation of NFC for device control - not for payment processing - was compromised easily, that's an Android problem, not an NFC problem, and has nothing to do with using NFC for payments.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I was talking about this with a friend yesterday. He was annoyed that the iPhone 5 didn't have NFC. I pointed out that there aren't a whole lot of places around here that even support it. Then I asked him how he felt about handing the gas station attendant his phone so he could pay for his gas.* He said, "Oh....I guess it wouldn't be that useful."

*Back story: In Oregon, due to stupid laws, we still have full service gas stations.

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
NFC is probably the single most issue that highlights the geographical split between users/advocates and non-users/skeptics.

US = "what's the point/nowhere uses the tech/I don't trust it anyway"

EU/RoW = "use it occasionally/regularly/so convenient/why not in iPhone?"

Seems a shame that Apple are unwilling (for they could have dropped a chip in there without issue) to enable a technology that is in relatively widespread use outside of the US for payments, travel etc.

Catering to the lowest common denominator when that happens to be the US, but the opposite when it's LTE. Annoying to say the least.

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
Google aren't exactly your goto guy's with data security so handing bank detail's to them seems a wee bit too much.

Also killer app's like NFC for use on TFL instead of Oyster hasn't happened because it's too slow. It's all a bit ... meh ... what if your phone is stolen and your stranded with no means of payment?

I don't think it's had the traction to take off properly.

thepro8

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2009
I'm going to get nerdy for a sec...the NFC chip in Android phones can do 3 protocals, ISO14443, ISO18092, and ISO16693. People use ISO14443 or iso16693, the contactless protocalls all the time and don't know it. Ever have to use a company badge to get into work or a building, use an tap and pay credit care, use a tap and pay credit card, a bus or train pass that is a tap and go, a student ID where you tap to get into your cafeteria???? All contactless use cases that are around and deployed today.

walie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2010
It appears that none of you people have been to Japan

Also, you can use NFC for more things beyond paying for stuff

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
for they could have dropped a chip in there without issue
Based on how compact the phone is, I'm going to say easier said than done. Maybe there's no more room?

It appears that none of you people have been to Japan

I think it's a safe assumption that most of us haven't :)

That aside, perhaps I should make a new post about this, but what are the individual sales numbers of the most popular, current, Android phones compared to the iPhone 4S? I'd like to take this point into stating that Android OS may be the most popular. But the iPhone is the most popular single phone.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Basically, Apple doesn't want to popularise and build up the NFC infrastructure, only to allow other phones to hop on with chips of their own. NFC's not something they can patent after all.

if apple does end up pioneering some new payment ecosystem, you can be sure that it will be limited to apple devices alone.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Basically, Apple doesn't want to popularise and build up the NFC infrastructure, only to allow other phones to hop on with chips of their own. NFC's not something they can patent after all.

if apple does end up pioneering some new payment ecosystem, you can be sure that it will be limited to apple devices alone.

I'll agree that there's little incentive for Apple to include NFC, but not for your reasoning. They have bluetooth and GPS on their phones don't they? If anything it saves Apple trouble with not having to facilitate building an infrastructure for NFC devices considering it's already underway.

portishead

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2007
los angeles
NFC has been a payment option for years. I've had a fob for my Mastercard (http://www.mastercard.us/paypass.html#/home/) for five years or so, and never used it. The big problem is that there have been very few retail places which had the equipment to use it.

That's NFC? I've had the paypass for years, and I used it a couple times at first for the novelty, but then it was more of a hassle so I don't even use it anymore. It only works in a handful of stores. Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to do this instead of busting out my credit card every time. But I'm not mad at apple for including it. I'm not even convinced iPhone 6 would have it 2 years from now. I've had the paypass for like 5 years, and I've only seen a few stores add it since then.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011

Apple holds 26 NFC patents. Apparently they see some value in it.

An Apple only payment system is ludicrous. Getting millions of merchants to adopt your one-off payment system is not their charter.

Apple can easily make millions in revenue by simply tying your NFC payment system to iTunes and taking a fraction of a percentage in sales $ directly from the credit card processing companies. These companies are already offering merchants a 1/2 percentage point fee reduction to switch to NFC - which is more secure than swiping a credit card in a reader. If Apple can pick up 1/2 a percent for all sales thru iTunes, they will have huge incentives to roll out NFC.

Redjericho

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
And even better, 5 years from now when NFC is popular and Apple adds it, they will get knocked hard for using it only when it became popular.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
Apple will be forced to add a payment method other than scanning barcodes soon. If they don't go with NFC, we will see a division in technology that will be just like CDMA vs GSM or VHS vs Betamax.... The stronger technology may not win, and consumers will be the ones who suffer.

Oakmhcky21

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2011
Only place I have ever seen NFC used was in Japan, nearly all gas station/ convenient stores had it back in 08/09

$M.H$

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2014
The jelly beam in android devices is EXTREMLY FAST IN SENDING FILES
I sent over 120 photos from samsung note 3
( Full HD photos - tacked by note 3 cam )
To a Samsung galaxy s 4

IT TAKES LESS THAN 60 SEC !!

Well the AirDrop is very slow ( my opinion )
And needs an internet connection and Bluetooth
:(

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Just wondering, what are everyone's thoughts about NFC now?
https://www.macrumors.com/2014/05/12/apple-integrating-nfc-iphone-6/

2 years later... Apple may be incorporating it. lol

Fine with 2D barcodes.

My Airline boarding passes, local Regal cinema tickets from Fandango, and my Starbucks card, Kroger card. All location aware. They are even fun to use.

It also feels more secure, points only where you place it, unlike RFID that radiates in all directions.

I would like to see it spread further. No reason a 'chip and PIN' type authentication couldn't be used to put credit card details in a 2D barcode. That only appears after TouchID, and also requires a PIN. Or even iBeacon.

Between 2D Barcodes and BLE. RFID is just crowding the space.

----------

To a Samsung galaxy s 4

Airdrop does not need an internet connection.

Last edited:

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
To a Samsung galaxy s 4

It does not need an internet connection. It's slower than NFC but I have been able to send 80 photos and a few videos (from my iPhone 5) in about seconds., which is much faster than sending it through emails or iMessage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.