Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
It seems the case here is that Apple wanted to back the superior technology (BT-LE), but the world went with NFC anyway making it ubiquitous. IF Apple relents on this it would be that, and specifically China, forcing its hand.

The one remaining wildcard here is are they willing to sacrifice space and battery for an extra radio, especially one considered an inferior technology in Apple’s eyes? It’d be a bit like putting a floppy disk in an iMac when they released the gumdrop colours.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
It took Apple to jumpstart and popularize WiFi, even though it was clear that Apple was not the inventor or creator of WiFi standard.

I see the same pattern with NFC. Apple played no hand in developing NFC. But in the end, it might just be Apple's acceptance of NFC that will give NFC the steroid boost it needs to become a universal standard that EVERYBODY will be using a few years from now.

While many Android devices already have NFC built-in, very few users actually have any inclination to use the technology. Apple may change all that and make NFC a mainstream technology for everyone (even tech illiterates).

A brief history of Wi-Fi (and Apple's role)

Five Technologies in the mainstream, thanks to Apple

HISTORY: First Laptop with WiFi - The Apple iBook

The Innovation Journey of Wi-Fi: The Road to Global Success

The secret success of Steve Jobs: Wi-Fi and wireless internet

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
I couldn't care less about NFC and really don't care about the thumbprint scanner either. I won't use it. I don't want my prints on file with App,e. It's bad enough that the government has them.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I couldn't care less about NFC and really don't care about the thumbprint scanner either. I won't use it. I don't want my prints on file with App,e. It's bad enough that the government has them.
Yeah, because that's how it works.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco

Care to opine on potato chips? Me personally, I like and use them.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia

You are aware that Apple does not store your thumbprint on their servers, right? Or that they can never see it?

Neither will they store your credit card information, or your purchase data.

----------

It seems the case here is that Apple wanted to back the superior technology (BT-LE), but the world went with NFC anyway making it ubiquitous. IF Apple relents on this it would be that, and specifically China, forcing its hand.

The one remaining wildcard here is are they willing to sacrifice space and battery for an extra radio, especially one considered an inferior technology in Apple’s eyes? It’d be a bit like putting a floppy disk in an iMac when they released the gumdrop colours.

Pretty much stand by what I said here. I believe Apple waited this long wanting to create a BT-LE based payment system, but the ubiquitousness of existing NFC infrastructure forced their hand.

At least now they can build upon that for a few years and then make vendors switch to a BT-LE based solution in the future that doesn't require waving your devices around other devices.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I read somewhere on MacRumors that here in the UK for NFC payments we're limited to £5 or less transactions. (Apparently moving up to £10 soon)

I was a big fan of NFC, really wanted it....but after reading that it made me think...why?

We're limited and I don't know anywhere that supports it, certainly here in my County (Lincolnshire).

But! It still would have been pretty cool to have just added in. And eventually it'll get better and that limited raised a lot, or even removed.

The uk banks actually set the limit at £20.

Retailer list....

Aldi
AMT Coffee
Banardos
Boots
Caffe Nero
Chop'd
Coffee Republic
Co-op Pharmacy
Costa Coffee
Costcutter
Cruush
David Lloyd
Eat
Gourmet Burger Kitchen
Greggs
Ikea
J D Weatherspoon
Little Chef
London Buses
M6 Toll
Marks and Spencer
McDonalds
Nandos
National Trust
Paul's Bakers
Paypoint
Post Office
Pret
Spar
Stagecoach
Starbucks
Subway
Superdrug
Timpsons
Waitrose
Wasabi
West Cornwall Pasty
WH Smith
Wilkinsons

That's was correct upto December 2013

The issue for big retailers like tesco etc is most transactions are larger than £20 so adding the tech isn't any use to them but with apple's security layer in place the limit for apple pay payments would be lifted.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
It took Apple to jumpstart and popularize WiFi, even though it was clear that Apple was not the inventor or creator of WiFi standard.

I see the same pattern with NFC. Apple played no hand in developing NFC. But in the end, it might just be Apple's acceptance of NFC that will give NFC the steroid boost it needs to become a universal standard that EVERYBODY will be using a few years from now.

While many Android devices already have NFC built-in, very few users actually have any inclination to use the technology. Apple may change all that and make NFC a mainstream technology for everyone (even tech illiterates).

A brief history of Wi-Fi (and Apple's role)

Five Technologies in the mainstream, thanks to Apple

HISTORY: First Laptop with WiFi - The Apple iBook

The Innovation Journey of Wi-Fi: The Road to Global Success

The secret success of Steve Jobs: Wi-Fi and wireless internet

Don't flatter Apple. People wanted Wifi because it made it possible to use a laptop online, anywhere in the house. I remember adding a Wireless "B" PCMCIA card to my dell, circa 2001, and by that point it was easy to get everything I needed from Tiger Direct (remember them?)

This had nothing to do with Apple, who had less than a 3% market share.

NFC is already ubiquitous. Higher end Android and Windows Phones have had it for years and it's been used for file transfer, bluetooth pairing, and more. Heck, it's already in laptops and credit cards too.

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
You are aware that Apple does not store your thumbprint on their servers, right? Or that they can never see it?

Neither will they store your credit card information, or your purchase data.

That is what they claim. I have no faith in that however.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Don't flatter Apple. People wanted Wifi because it made it possible to use a laptop online, anywhere in the house. I remember adding a Wireless "B" PCMCIA card to my dell, circa 2001, and by that point it was easy to get everything I needed from Tiger Direct (remember them?)

This had nothing to do with Apple, who had less than a 3% market share.

NFC is already ubiquitous. Higher end Android and Windows Phones have had it for years and it's been used for file transfer, bluetooth pairing, and more. Heck, it's already in laptops and credit cards too.

It might not have ben available... From tiger direct.... Is the entire point.

Tiger direct didn't do ****.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
That is what they claim. I have no faith in that however.

I am honestly not sure why an average citizen would care if Apple/the government had their fingerprints.

Just honestly wondering, I couldn't care less about Apple or the government having my fingerprints (used touch ID on my 5s, will again on my 6).

AlanShutko

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008

There's another factor in play in the US. Few point-of-sale terminals support NFC. Some stores have rolled it out but most retailers haven't wanted to update their terminals. It's been a chicken and egg problem: most retailers won't support it because not many people have NFC, and not many people are pushing for NFC because most retailers won't support it.

This next year will be different,because there's now a mandate for all retailers to support chip and pin cards in the US by October 2015. That means that all the old point-of-sale terminals will need to be replaced anyway.

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
I am honestly not sure why an average citizen would care if Apple/the government had their fingerprints.

Just honestly wondering, I couldn't care less about Apple or the government having my fingerprints (used touch ID on my 5s, will again on my 6).

That's your right. It's my right to not trust it.

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
You might want to check on your tinfoil hat. I think it might be on a bit too tight and restricting blood flow. :cool:

Tinfoil hat is just fine. Read the news. Look at what the NSA is doing and how companies are just forking over customer info whenever the government asks for it. I'll keep my tinfoil hat on and you can keep your blinders on.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Tinfoil hat is just fine. Read the news. Look at what the NSA is doing and how companies are just forking over customer info whenever the government asks for it. I'll keep my tinfoil hat on and you can keep your blinders on.

They can’t fork over information they don’t have. :rolleyes:

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
It's not irrational. There are still too many opportunities for issues to arise. The benefits do not outweigh the risks for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.