Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DanB91

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2007
i used to play CoD and CoD:UO alot on my iBook, but since i got my PS3 and 360 i really dont do it anymore. i do have a pc that i use occasionally, only for gaming (pentium 4 1.4ghz 512 MB RAM, X1300 Pro 256mb). but i hate windows sooo much that i just dont use it that much. ( its just that im so used to mac os x i just hate switching to windows). and now that Gears of War (my favorite game) is coming to Mac, i'd like to see what else is in store for mac gaming this year. infact i hope to have a stevenote about games this year!

flappo

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2003
in the cubicles
i played cod 2 and doom 3 on my tricked out mac pro , thought it was fairly impressive

then played a few games on a ps3 and realised what a total waste of dough it is playing games on a mac pro

:)

the ps3 WIPES the floor with the mac , really destroyed it 100%

haha

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
I'm recycling

I've purchase a macbook 3 weeks ago, and have started to play games on it. Since I know the macbook doesn't have the graphics chip to play any of the most recent games, I have been trying to convert my older pc games to play on the mac.

So far I've been able to convert Doom, Doom 2, Final Doom, Quake 1,2,3 to native osx intel programs. I was able to download a port, and simply drag the needed game files from the pc disc to the folder with the osx version, and they play great. (I never completed quake 1 or 2, since my newer computer ran to fast, and the older one didn't have a graphics chip back then.)

I was able to get PC unreal tournament and Return to Castle Wolfenstein working under parallels, UT worked with both software rendering and also with the OpenGL hardware mode,with full screen parallels mode, and ROTC worked fine out of the box under parallels.

I have been unsuccessful playing Command and Conquer, as I can't get it to stop crashing under parallels during startup.

If I ever expand the hard drive, I will try bootcamp, I think many more programs will run that way. I still have hope for more parallels games to run, but I have way more older games PC games than hard drive space.

Oh, and since I already own the games, the cost is right!

I have a PS2 I bought 2 years ago for gaming at home, and an aging pc that works for older games too.

benpatient

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2003
I don't have to upgrade my Xbox360 everytime a new, better game comes out.

Nope, just have to update to a new 360 with proper cooling hardware and a decent power supply!

/likes the 360, just taking an easy shot

contoursvt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
No, it just shows how insanely bad the cooling is. You can only go as high as 100% cpu usage and EVEN if the flash player was at 100%, those numbers are very VERY unacceptable. This notebook was not made to be running heavy loads for long.

Those temperatures has nothing to do with the gaming capabilities of the Macs, it just shows how insanely bad your flash plug-in is. :rolleyes:

CANEHDN

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Eagle Mountain, UT
I don't like computer games at all. I find no purpose and no sense of enjoyment in them whatsoever -- to me they are boring and a waste of time. I'd rather be out walking the dog, jogging, or spending time taking my small son to the playground. Computer games just don't compare to visceral real world experiences to me.

But sitting on forums answering pointless questions is ok?

NickD

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2007
Colorado
I'm more of a console person, like many others here. I do still play the occasional game of WC3 on my Mac though.

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
Never really been that interested in consoles... I admit, the latest offerings are quite nice, but the format they come in when I play them around my friend's houses is less than spectacular. For example, a friend who owns an Xbox 360, who plays it on an old 15" TV... Pretty pointless if you ask me.

So instead, I use my dual booting Mac for games. I don't play many; MMOs take up enough of my time and are sufficiently entertaining.

I've been playing a lot of Starcraft recently though, I can't stop myself! :eek:

Sure, I might buy a PS3 or Xbox if I had the spare cash for a nice HDTV to go with it, but I've never really liked the controllers much :p

azizane

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2006
i used to be a console guy myself about four years ago but i stopped playing game (well only played winning eleven occasionally with friends) and last year i got a macbook pro.

i started playing games again but this time on the mac, i played COD, COD:UO, COD 2, CC F4F and Quake 4. after a while i got bored with them so i said why not try bootcamp?

Now, I'm playing PC games on my mac and couldn't be happier! if it wasn't for my mac i don't think i would have played games again, so no more consoles for me.

-::ubermann::-

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2006
an Xbox360+HDTV kicks most PC asses in graphics
but have you tried playing a FPS on a console? they suck! PC are a lot better, in RTS also

torchwood04

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2007
I was able to get PC unreal tournament and Return to Castle Wolfenstein working under parallels, UT worked with both software rendering and also with the OpenGL hardware mode,with full screen parallels mode, and ROTC worked fine out of the box under parallels.
Have you ever tried the Mac OS X version (preview 3) of Unreal Tournament? I run it on my Intel Mac mini, and it runs great.

I used this http://www.veloffdesigns.com/utmac/index.asp
to convert my PC CD version to the mac version, but by the way, you need to get the data files from the installed UT folder, not from the CD like the site says.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
2 applicable answers. 1) I don't play a lot of games because if I play a game once I can't NOT play a lot of games. i.e. I get very addicted to video games and if I start playing I won't get anything else done. 2) When I do play games I always play old console emulator games, so the games I play don't show up on sales charts.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
i used to play CoD and CoD:UO alot on my iBook, but since i got my PS3 and 360 i really dont do it anymore. i do have a pc that i use occasionally, only for gaming (pentium 4 1.4ghz 512 MB RAM, X1300 Pro 256mb). but i hate windows sooo much that i just dont use it that much. ( its just that im so used to mac os x i just hate switching to windows). and now that Gears of War (my favorite game) is coming to Mac, i'd like to see what else is in store for mac gaming this year. infact i hope to have a stevenote about games this year!

Well, I have an excuse. My Mac is 10 years old. I've got a PowerMac 8600/250. with 160 MB of RAM. That's right, 250 MHz PPC processor (pre-G-anything), 4 GB Ultra-SCSI (10 MB/sec transfer rate). Damn thing even has a Zip Drive in it! The upside is I was able to add video cards to it over the years 'cause I have 4 PCI slots onboard. When I got GLQuake, Quake 2 and Unreal, the 8 MB Power3D Voodoo card was enough to muscle through it. For a long while I was really loving accelerated Descent and Descent II, Shadow Warrior with its voodoo patch, FutureCop: LAPD and GL Doom.

Then, the newer 32-bit color games came along (Quake 3 Arena, and Descent III among others), and all of a sudden that Voodoo card wasn't cutting the mustard (single digit frame rates and all. So, I got a twofer - an ATI Radeon 7300 (32MB) card, and the Creative Labs Soundblaster LIVE! card for Mac when it came out. Boy were newer games purty on that 7300 (still are). Elite Force, Deus Ex, UT, QIIIA with its shiny and reflective surfaces, all had new life, but it didn't really make them more than barely playable. Especially Deus Ex which was my favorite of the bunch, especially in EAX sound.

All this time, OS X was making its appearance, and growing in acceptance as replacement for my venerable OS 9. All this time, fewer and fewer games were written for my older system software or older hardware. Before too long, I found myself further and further BELOW the system requirements of the games I wanted to play.

So, I considered my options - a new Mac, a processor upgrade via daughtercard, yet another video card upgrade. None of which were fitting into my budget. The processor upgrade cost was the hardest to justify. $400 to $700 for 10 fps extra? (I was pulling 12-20 as it was in QIIIA). Nah, a new Mac would be more reasonable. I find it hard to waste money.

So, then I decided at some point a few years back that I'd set a goal, a benchmark, if you will. I'd buy a new Mac when it was 10 times as fast as my current one. I played around with different standards by which to measure that, but eventually settled on sheer clock speed. 2.5 GHz was my new target.

Then I waited. And waited, and waited some more. Motorola and IBM PPCs seemed stuck at 500 MHz forever, then 1 GHz forever. Sigh. What the hell was up? The technoloy plateaus were killing me.

Then, came the news of the Intel switch. Well, maybe this would be the silver lining to my cloud. Intel chips has traditionally had higher clock speeds than PPCs. But I also knew two things. That even though higher clock speed is sometimes trumped by a superior architecture (RISC vs. CISC), I knew tat Apple's benchmarks were often skewed and reflected "Steve-O's Reality Distortion Field" (TM) as much as anything real.

So, then I waited. And read reviews. And, following the best tech purchase advice ever, I waited for revision 2.

Which brings us to now.

And you see the clock speeds on the mid-range Mac Pro dontcha? :)

Think it might have my name on it?

Jack Flash

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2007
Too many PC/Mac games are first person shooters and strategy games... genres I'm not particularly interested in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.