Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hexley

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
From a business point of view I think the Mac mini hasn't changed as the demand is good enough to maintain the 2014 model but is not potentially great enough justify an updated redesign. Prices of 2014 parts have dropped down so much that margins has improved over time.

In the past Apple did something similar to this with a 13-inch non-Retina legacy MacBook Pro that they sold from 2012-2016.

Bhphotovideo has the $499 Mac mini for $399. This proves that Apple has a more than 20% margin if you buy it direct from Apple.com. I would hazard a guess that they're making as much as 50% margin on it if bought from Apple.com at $499.

At $399 makes the 2014 Mac mini Core i5 (4th Gen) very competitive vs SFF PCs (Small Form Factor) & NUCs (Next Unit of Computing) priced below $276. Although at that price you would need to add an OS, 500GB 5400RPM spindle drive and 4GB of RAM making it hit $399 like the Mac mini.

Those who bought the Mac mini when it first came out in 2014 for $499 & at Bhphotovideo when it was offered at $399 are the luckiest as the hardware wasn't that old for the price point.

I would hope Apple decides to reprice the 2014 Mac mini to say $299 before 2019 to keep it relevant. Unless they change their minds and update it to 2018 hardware.

Remember, the Mac mini was marketed as the device for switchers to try a Mac.

Last edited:
Reactions: George Dawes

Hexley

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
Because they are jerks who would rather mine the phone market until it is dry of cash than have a stable, diverse business model.
Computer upgrading cycle has lengthened to 6 years. Smartphone upgrading cycle is 21 months. Go where the money is...

Reactions: s15119 and Abraxa

for this

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2014
Now I won't be very surprised if Apple announces tomorrow it is discontinued. But if it is not, perhaps the Mac Pro is the reason. Updating the mini with TB3 and other goodies could make the current Mac Pro, the only other headless Mac, even more awkward. Updating it with very small increment also might not worth the effort and could make mini's fans even more angry. So they may be waiting for the next Mac Pro to come out first.

Reactions: Abraxa

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
Computer upgrading cycle has lengthened to 6 years. Smartphone upgrading cycle is 21 months. Go where the money is...
So if you were due to upgrade in 2015, it’s now 9 years for you.

That’s why you are SUPPOSED to update more frequently, because not everyone is on the same cycle.

Last edited:

nagual

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2012
I used to have minis for so many years. I like them for media/server duty. My last mini I sold last year in anticipation of revamped one ... still waiting. I wonder if I replace it with one of the MacBook or MacBook Pros with CalDigit TS3 Plus dock. I think that would work as good or even better, because if I go away on a trip I can take it with me.

Hexley

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
So if you were due to upgrade in 2015, it’s now 9 years for you.

That’s why you are SUPPOSED to update more frequently, because not everyone is on the same cycle.
What I mentioned is a average upgrade cycle.

You change your gear base on what you current requirements or affordability.

I have a 2012 iMac.

It's 5 years and 3 months old.

I am replacing the dead 1TB spindle drive with a 1TB SSD as I intend to keep it until February 2023.

For my needs it is more than enough.

Hopefully Apple will offer a 2023 iMac using a 2023 iPhone chip with an SSD that can read/write at more than 5GB/s.

By then I expect it to rival the performance of the 2023 Core i9.

[doublepost=1526910318][/doublepost]
Now I won't be very surprised if Apple announces tomorrow it is discontinued. But if it is not, perhaps the Mac Pro is the reason. Updating the mini with TB3 and other goodies could make the current Mac Pro, the only other headless Mac, even more awkward. Updating it with very small increment also might not worth the effort and could make mini's fans even more angry. So they may be waiting for the next Mac Pro to come out first.
I would be surprised if anyone is still buying. You're better off buying the iMac Pro that was released in December 2017.

Last edited:

EmlynDewar

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2011
Chengdu, China
They haven't updated it, as they like to have a miserable 500gb spinner in a product still to laugh at the customers. They couldn't get away with this in anything with a 1000 pound price tag though, so the Mac Mini remains.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Because Apple can't innovate anymore. They're just riding on the iPhone cash cow. Just look at the stuff they've been crapping out and calling macOS recently.
It doesn't take much innovation to stick some modern year-2018 parts into the same old chassis. I think something as simple as that would satisfy plenty of people.

George Dawes

Suspended
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
In the old days you could forgive Apple for their limited R&D , now w/ timmy in charge it's simply unforgivable

I struggle to work out exactly what they spend the dosh on !?

How hard is it to upgrade the mini ??

Maybe they don't want to ....

Reactions: tubeexperience

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
I got your point. You want everyone to shorten their upgrade cycle to what you think is correct.
You were touting the LONG upgrade cycle of PCs, yet excuse Apple from leaving out a large % of people, because of Apple’s pathetic update cycle.

No one cares about how Apple's cycle matched yours. Mac Mini threads reach 500 pages because of Apple NOT coming anywhere close to theirs.

Last edited:

Hexley

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
You were touting the LONG upgrade cycle of PCs, yet excuse Apple from leaving out a large % of people with THEIR pathetic update cycle.

No one cares about how Apple's cycle matched yours. Mac Mini threads reach 500 pages because of Apple NOT coming anywhere close to theirs.
Such hostility... why not just buy some other 2017/2018 Mac instead?

Mac mini was supposed to get new comers to the the Mac. It was not produced to keep you on the Mac mini forever.

[doublepost=1527056748][/doublepost]
It is less about if you bought your Mac Mini in 2014 and waiting for an updated model. It is more about somone in 2018 buying a new Mac Mini.
Hence my idea that Apple is unwilling to update the Mac mini to 2018 hardware then slash prices to $299 to make it competitive in relation to 2018 hardware at that performance level.

Reactions: BornAgainMac

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Mac mini was supposed to get new comers to the the Mac. It was not produced to keep you on the Mac mini forever.
The MacBook Air has taken that role for the most part, and turned the Mac mini into more of a niche product with usefulness to a smaller group of people who still need or prefer inexpensive desktop computers. That's probably why Apple shows little interest in maintaining it.

Reactions: Hexley and Boyd01

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
Such hostility... why not just buy some other 2017/2018 Mac instead?

The only hostility is towards purposefully evasive examples and twisted logic to excuse the lapse of customer needs.

You would have a point, if the 2012 Mac mini didn’t exist.

EightyTwenty

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2015
Hence my idea that Apple is unwilling to update the Mac mini to 2018 hardware then slash prices to $299 to make it competitive in relation to 2018 hardware at that performance level.

Why would Apple slash the price of an upgraded Mini? If they are selling outdated junk today for $499, they aren’t going to sell an updated mini with current parts for less. And nowhere close to $299, that’s for sure.

Reactions: Boyd01

Hexley

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
Why would Apple slash the price of an upgraded Mini? If they are selling outdated junk today for $499, they aren’t going to sell an updated mini with current parts for less. And nowhere close to $299, that’s for sure.
If they're unwilling to update the Mac mini for 2018 then slash the price of the 2014 Mac mini. :*

You're so cute for not being able to understand.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
You (and I) don't like the fact that the Mini hasn't been updated, and we think $299 would be a more reasonable price. But that's what we think and not what Apple thinks. Apple doesn't care what we think and they don't care about the Mini. So they won't even take the time to consider what the price should be or whether to discontinue it.

Hexley

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
You (and I) don't like the fact that the Mini hasn't been updated, and we think $299 would be a more reasonable price. But that's what we think and not what Apple thinks. Apple doesn't care what we think and they don't care about the Mini. So they won't even take the time to consider what the price should be or whether to discontinue it.
A base model 2014 Mac mini MGEM2LL/A for $299 or even $199 would be a dream come true. :)

Please make this happen during WWDC 2018!

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
I would speculate that the Mac mini isn’t going to be updated until after the new modular Mac Pro.

Think about it. Modular. Not expandable. Modular.

Look at the mini.

Now stack another mini on top.

Now make them work together.

What just happened??? Yep, there you go.

Want more CPU and graphics power, buy another box and plug it in. More cpu cores and more GPU cores and support for more displays. More connectivity, more everything.

Call it a cluster. Call it modular computing.

The new modular Mac Pro may simply be a stack of modules that work together.

Want a mini??? Get just the base unit.

Reactions: Peter K. and Sorrel
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.