Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Then, why doesn't Apple sell its computer division to HP or something?
If Apple only sold the iPhone there would not be an ecosystem and that is one of the major selling points. Thats why Apple makes so much money, when you have an eco system like Apples the actual parts of the ecosystem don't need to be all that great, they just need to work well together.

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
If Apple only sold the iPhone there would not be an ecosystem and that is one of the major selling points. Thats why Apple makes so much money, when you have an eco system like Apples the actual parts of the ecosystem don't need to be all that great, they just need to work well together.

If the Mac is important to this "ecosystem", why doesn't Apple bother to keep its Mac products up to date?

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
If the Mac is important to this "ecosystem", why doesn't Apple bother to keep its Mac products up to date?

I would argue that, rather than being 'important' to the Apple ecosystem, the computer is a 'necessary evil'. IMO Cook and company want to eliminate computers from the equation - at least as far as the non-professional is concerned, but at the present time, there is just too much that still cannot be done on a tablet... but I firmly believe that it's their goal...
[doublepost=1528112166][/doublepost]
I think we‘ll see a redesigned Mini someday. No fans, pure SSD, completely closed chassis - affordable price point. Anyone with me?

Possibly, but I doubt that it will happen... and it's highly doubtful that we'll ever see anything from app at an "affordable price point"... that ship has sailed.
[doublepost=1528112295][/doublepost]
But this one doesn‘t run macOS and thus can‘t be really used as a server or personal computer. Even more so, if there exists a „similar“ product, why not use the same principles for a full headless computer?

IMO, a device like that would be welcomed by the customer, but it would cannibalize other offerings in the computer line... and that is bad for Apple and their shareholders.

Reactions: George Dawes

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
There is also the rumored low cost MacBook, which is expected to replace the MacBook Air later this year. https://www.macrumors.com/2018/05/29/pegatron-to-make-arm-based-apple-macbook/

"Pegatron is likely to land orders from Apple to produce an ARM-based MacBook model, codenamed Star with a series number N84, according to industry sources."

We're seeing things like AMD GPUs being integrated into Intel CPUs and RAM being soldered directly on the motherboards (MacBooks, Mac mini, low-end iMac) or even integrated into the CPU itself (package on package) if the ARM transition rumours turn out to be true.

So if Apple really wanted the most bang for their buck, they would design a single motherboard for both this new low-cost MacBook and the new Mac mini (whatever their actual names will be) and could also be used inside the iMac. The new Mac Pro could have multiple slots for motherboards, making upgrades easier and spreadable over time. Buy a one-motherboard Mac Pro to begin with, then add another one a year later.

The MacBook/Mac mini/iMac/Mac Pro would have separate boards for their ports and other connections, the Mac mini would convert the GPU lines to an HDMI port, the iMac would convert the same lines to its internal display, etc.

If they could make it technician-accessible, they could make more profits by selling more upgrades to a lot more users every year across all lines all at the same time, lower their own shipping costs, lower their inventory space requirements, lower the environmental impact of upgrading your computer, etc. This solution is so obvious and efficient, I don't know why Tim isn't pushing for this idea.

Maybe it's why we're seeing delays all over the place and rumors of a "modular Mac Pro". It would also explain weird placeholder computers like the iMac Pro which makes no sense for pro users.
[doublepost=1528115520][/doublepost]
IMO, a device like that would be welcomed by the customer, but it would cannibalize other offerings in the computer line... and that is bad for Apple and their shareholders.
I'm tired of hearing this "cannibalize other offerings" argument because it removes things like needs and price from the argument.
  • People who want a headless computer will never buy an iMac.
  • People who need power will not buy a Mac mini.
  • People who need to be mobile also won't buy a Mac mini.
  • While we're on the subject, real pro users don't want an iMac Pro or even a trashcan Mac Pro, they want an actual Mac Pro like the old Mac Pro tower.
  • People who cannot afford an iMac will buy a Mac mini. Or a non-Apple computer, which is the worst kind of cannibalization because instead of Apple making less profits, they make no profit at all. And then those people don't buy an iPhone, don't buy an iPad and don't subscribe to Apple services. That's even less profit.
The top guns at Apple may have enough money to buy whatever they want every time they want something, the rest of us only buy what we can afford.
[doublepost=1528116040][/doublepost]
Steve Jobs used to run Apple with a commitment to excellence and a brutal rejection of "good enough".

So, has Apple become "it doesn't need to be all that great" under Tim Cook's modus operandi?

edit: all this merging of posts makes it hard for people to upvote comments because you rarely agree with all the points of merged posts.

Last edited:

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
[doublepost=1528115520][/doublepost]
I'm tired of hearing this "cannibalize other offerings" argument because it removes things like needs and price from the argument.
  • People who want a headless computer will never buy an iMac.
  • People who need power will not buy a Mac mini.
  • People who need to be mobile also won't buy a Mac mini.
  • While we're on the subject, real pro users don't want an iMac Pro or even a trashcan Mac Pro, they want an actual Mac Pro like the old Mac Pro tower.
  • People who cannot afford an iMac will buy a Mac mini. Or a non-Apple computer, which is the worst kind of cannibalization because instead of Apple making less profits, they make no profit at all. And then those people don't buy an iPhone, don't buy an iPad and don't subscribe to Apple services. That's even less profit.
The top guns at Apple may have enough money to buy whatever they want every time they want something, the rest of us only buy what we can afford.

It's also entirely possible that Apple just doesn't care (anymore). It's been 4 years since they've done anything with the Mini... selling that low-spec'd machine at what I consider an exorbitant price is proof to me that Apple doesn't care about the person you described above... if they did, things would be different.

Charging over $1000 for a cell phone is all the proof that I need that Apple's only concern is profit. Profit is not bad, but it can't be the only thing that drives a company.

Last edited:

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
To be honest, I don't see any bright future for the Mac mini.

The Apple computer line is now concentrating on these products:
- Macbook
- iMac
- Pro machine(s): Macbook Pro, iMac Pro, maybe the modular Mac Pro*

* It is interesting, that Apple will eventually really release a (modular) upgraded Mac Pro.
Because it seemed that, the desktop line of computers (except the iMac series) will be totally canceled.

Fozziebear40

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2008
Newton-le-Willows, England
You really expected that from a software and developer conference? Really?

...this is a SOFTWARE conference for developers... sort of makes sense, really.

To quote MacRumors "Oftentimes, new hardware, such as refreshed Macs, debuts at the event...".

The subject at hand is "Why hasn't Apple updated the Mac mini since 2014" not the software development conference.

Oh by the way, this time last year, the WWDC 2017...

Apple’s annual developer conference felt especially like a show for consumers this year, with announcements of seven laptop updates, a new iMac Pro desktop computer, a new iPad, and a new home smart speaker called the HomePod. But Apple also had something for developers...

Go figure! :rolleyes:

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
To quote MacRumors "Oftentimes, new hardware, such as refreshed Macs, debuts at the event...".

The subject at hand is "Why hasn't Apple updated the Mac mini since 2014" not the software development conference.

Oh by the way, this time last year, the WWDC 2017...

Apple’s annual developer conference felt especially like a show for consumers this year, with announcements of seven laptop updates, a new iMac Pro desktop computer, a new iPad, and a new home smart speaker called the HomePod. But Apple also had something for developers...

Go figure! :rolleyes:

And this year's software developers conference brought no new hardware. Go figure.

The_Interloper

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
And this year's software developers conference brought no new hardware. Go figure.
Yet just last year at WWDC they announced the iPad Pro 10.5, updated iMacs, updated Macbook/Air/Pro, HomePod...oh, and a little thing called the iMac Pro.

https://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/apple/wwdc-2017-3522648/

So, yeah, no hardware precedent there.

Also, what the hell are devs supposed to develop on right now? The Mac Mini is 4 years old, the Mac Pro is 5 years old this year, the MacBook Pro has a dodgy keyboard and no F keys...it's a complete joke. Instead of banging on about Animojis, they could have at least thrown devs and pros a bone by updating where things stand with the fabled believe-it-when-I-see-it modular Mac Pro and in-house display.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Just saying that it seemed illogical to me to expect hardware... and it didn't happen... no reason to get your panties in a bunch... hardware will come when hardware comes... I'm out.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
But Animoji's now have tongue detection! :p

I don't know why anyone expected a new Mini, there were certainly no rumors about that. And there are no rumors that would suggest there will ever be a new Mini. :(

ShizPadoo

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2018
You might have to worry about 6 years from now, but not 6 months (although I suppose they could introduce an ARM computer that is incompatible with all current Macs). Anyway, this is Apple's support policy for old computers. Note this is specifically for hardware support though, and software typically has even longer compatibility. Also note that when calculating the age of your computer, Apple uses the date when it was discontinued, and not the date when it was introduced or your purchase date. Since the 2014 Mini is still in production, it should be supported at least until 2023, probably longer.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201624

"Owners of iPhone, iPad, iPod, or Mac products may obtain service and parts from Apple or Apple service providers for 5 years after the product is no longer manufactured—or longer where required by law"

I see that in the Mojave article it states that Macs as old as the 2012 and the 2010 Pro will be able to use Mojave, so panic over. Purchase more-or-less confirmed. I think I will bump the HDD to SSD on the mid-spec to help save any moving parts dying. But yeah, I can see they get quite a long period of software support.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.