Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UKBeast

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 21, 2010
Turkey
Lets list on topic the points why we do not like or like android and discuss through.

I do not like android because,

1. Fragmented

2. On ios i know how long my device will be supported and there is an outstanding company behind it, but for android you depend on the manufacturer.

3. Apple devices have longer lifetime in terms build quality and software, for example you can still install iOS6 to an old iphone 3gs but on android side you may have to upgrade your your phone at all.

4. Android is ugly designed, it is not consistent every time on every phone it is looking different.

5. I do not like android because i do not like google, since google have started pushing pressure on its users to sign up google plus stupidity to overcome Facebook i migrated from gmail to iCloud. Google is on the wrong way, it was good in the past when they were only doing search engine thing. And android is tied up with google and his cloned services from apple.

6. I do not like android because i do not believe in customization. I think customization in a deeper sense is a waste of time, at the end of the day your output is the same you just do not need to make shortcuts, change how the home screen looks, change the theme and so on. You are wasting your time to super customize the system to make it work like you want it to but it is a never ending story since there is always more and more. When you update your device then you have got re customize it, when you buy a new device then you have got to re customize it. Plus, with every phone you hold on your hand you expect to get the same personal user experience. But, with using my device efficiently with default settings for every upgrade and every new iphone or ipad i am getting the same efficiency.

7. Most android phones are coming in bad build plastic quality thus reducing the life time while iphone is solid, sustainable.

8. On android your decision mechanism is confused, because there are hundreds of variants of android os installed on hundreds of different phones and only a few of them is doing the job properly. There is only one iphone and one ipad they are super good so you know what you will get with it, with apple when i need to buy mobile device i do not need to search for reviews over internet and try demos from friends of mine to find the best one.

9. I do not want adroid because i am into apple eco system. I have got a macbook pro running mountain lion which is best os ever, I have got an apple tv, an ipad so there are all %100 compatible.

10. I like ios over android because from bottom to top design is consistent with the device. For example, the geometry, ratio, colors they use on ios is relevant to the design of the hardware. On android, the os and device are not looking they are designed for each other.

To sum up,

Apple is consistent, a piece of art, durable, longer life time, stable, efficient, very easy like idiot proof, visually perfect, giving the maximum with minimum, future proof, elegant.

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
"+1" as they say in Google/Android-land!

Great summary, indeed.

To sum up,

Apple is consistent, a piece of art, durable, longer life time, stable, efficient, very easy like idiot proof, visually perfect, giving the maximum with minimum, future proof, elegant.

UKBeast

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 21, 2010
Turkey
Android is just software. It's not android's fault that manufacturer choose to enclose it in plastic

But that does not change the fact that many android running devices have cost minimized poor build quality. Whether it is androids fault or not, this what you get at the end of the day.

Last edited:

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
But that does not change the fact that many android running devices have cost minimized poor build quality. Whether it is androids fault or not, this what you get at the end of the day.

Right.. so by your logic its Microsofts fault that PCs have less sleek, plastic shells vs Apple. :rolleyes:

UKBeast

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 21, 2010
Turkey
Right.. so by your logic its Microsofts fault that PCs have less sleek, plastic shells vs Apple. :rolleyes:

it is not his fault but it will not change my mind on pc.whats important for me is what i get besides they could develop a model like apple like they are trying with surface now.

hardware and software completes each other.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
it is not his fault but it will not change my mind on pc.whats important for me is what i get besides they could develop a model like apple like they are trying with surface now.

hardware and software completes each other.

im not arguing that its not wise to manufacture the hardware and software...

maybe you should change your post to android PHONES if your problem is plastic phones, because android is the software

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
People talk about how android is fragmented which is true. But you mention how iphones are supported longer. Also true, but apple also holds features from earlier iphones in new software updates. For example the iphone 4 will get IOS6 but not turn by turn navigation. new ipad get siri but the ipad 2 does not.:confused::confused:

Jagardn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
I have a Macbook Pro, a Macbook Air, and iPhone 4s, and a Nexus 7 tablet.

I prefer iOS because of the integration with my Macs. I was a Linux guy for years until I switched to OSX.
If I were still running Linux as my desktop operating system, I would probably be an Android user exclusively.
I think Jelly Bean is a great OS, for my personal needs, iOS just works better for me on my phone. I like my Nexus 7 and enjoy using it, it is a great device. The only reason I bought it was because Apple doesn't have a 7" tablet. Even if apple does release a 7 inch iPad I will probably keep the Nexus 7.

I really don't get it why people fight over operating systems, all kinds of name calling over stupid crap. Android works better for some people and iOS works better for other people.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
"1. Fragmented"

Like how every iOS version has -at least- two versions?

"2. On ios i know how long my device will be supported and there is an outstanding company behind it, but for android you depend on the manufacturer."

True, that is a complaint about Android device manufacturers, though.

"3. Apple devices have longer lifetime in terms build quality and software, for example you can still install iOS6 to an old iphone 3gs but on android side you may have to upgrade your your phone at all."

Once again, this isn't something caused by the software.

"4. Android is ugly designed, it is not consistent every time on every phone it is looking different."

So it's Google's fault that people make skins for Android?

"5. I do not like android because i do not like google, since google have started pushing pressure on its users to sign up google plus stupidity to overcome Facebook i migrated from gmail to iCloud. Google is on the wrong way, it was good in the past when they were only doing search engine thing. And android is tied up with google and his cloned services from apple."

I agree, they cloned so many services from Android. Like... the Apple Social Network, the Apple Email, the Apple Maps. Oh wait, Apple is just now making their own maps, Ping was a bust, and Gmail has been around for a while. You can say that Android might have had a lot of copy from Apple, but the services they throw on there? No.

"6. I do not like android because i do not believe in customization. I think customization in a deeper sense is a waste of time, at the end of the day your output is the same you just do not need to make shortcuts, change how the home screen looks, change the theme and so on. You are wasting your time to super customize the system to make it work like you want it to but it is a never ending story since there is always more and more. When you update your device then you have got re customize it, when you buy a new device then you have got to re customize it. Plus, with every phone you hold on your hand you expect to get the same personal user experience. But, with using my device efficiently with default settings for every upgrade and every new iphone or ipad i am getting the same efficiency."

You don't have to customize an Android phone.

"7. Most android phones are coming in bad build plastic quality thus reducing the life time while iphone is solid, sustainable."

Some people enjoy plastic, but this isn't an OS problem anyway.

"8. On android your decision mechanism is confused, because there are hundreds of variants of android os installed on hundreds of different phones and only a few of them is doing the job properly. There is only one iphone and one ipad they are super good so you know what you will get with it, with apple when i need to buy mobile device i do not need to search for reviews over internet and try demos from friends of mine to find the best one."

So... you hate having choice?

"9. I do not want adroid because i am into apple eco system. I have got a macbook pro running mountain lion which is best os ever, I have got an apple tv, an ipad so there are all %100 compatible."

That's an actual good reason for you to stick with iOS.

"10. I like ios over android because from bottom to top design is consistent with the device. For example, the geometry, ratio, colors they use on ios is relevant to the design of the hardware. On android, the os and device are not looking they are designed for each other."

Once again, this seems to be a dislike of the phones and saying it is the fault of the OS.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Why I prefer Android over iOS and WP7 as my primary smartphone platform:

1. Choice of hardware.
There is an Android handset for every budget. There is an Android hardware for almost every need. One of my personal all time favourite handsets is my ZTE Blade. Bought in 2010 for the low price of £99 on a "pay as you go" (prepaid) plan, it's been unlocked for free, it originally ran Android 2.1 and currently has a few Android 4.1.1 ROMs for it.

2. The community.
XDA Developers, MoDaCo, AOKP, TeamEOS, CyanogenMod. All keeping older hardware alive when manufacturers have all but abandoned them. The community never cease to surprise an Android enthusiast by adding features and functionality to the platform beyond its original scope. For example, CyanogenMod has supported "quiet hours" for a few years now which is a feature of iOS6 via "Do not Disturb".

3. Cross Platfrom support.
Being backed by Google Services, I am able to access almost all aspects of my digital data on all the platforms I use. Google syncs my Mail, Contacts and Calendars with WP7, iOS, Android and even my Palm Pre. My music uploaded to Google Music is accessable on WP7 (Gooroovster app), iOS (gMusic) and Android. I can also access all of my music on any internet connected OS X, Windows, Linux computer and (obviously) on my Chromebook.

4. Third party application hook-in/integration.
Yuo can share directly from one application to other third party applications (see below). You can also set default third party applications over the integrated ones. Want to use Opera, Firefox, Dolphin or Chrome as your default browser? Just set it as the default.
wm_2012-07-17-14.41_thumb.jpg

4. Seeing the platform grow.
I started using Android since 1.5 and the way it has improved in aesthetics and performance over the years has been great. The platform has evolved a lot in a short time-scale and whilst this breakneck speed of releases has left OEMs struggling to keep up, my choice to buy GSM Nexus handsets has let me enjoy the improvements faster than others ever will.
Matias Duarte has also added some flair, slowly unifying the platform from Gingerbread into a fluid, modern looking UI which is starting to take advantage of some intuitive gestures.

5. Customisation.
My phone is configured just as I like it, the same as my Linux installs on my Desktop. Whilst customisation may confuse some or is simply not for others, I find it invaluable (I also love WP7's "Live Tile" system fir quick access to information).

Do I think the platform is perfect? No. It has issues with OEMs seemingly making up excuses not to support phones (HTC Desire Gingerbread, Galaxy S Android 4.0, HTC Desire Android 4.0 updates as examples).
The fast pace of releases has left other OEMS stumbling to keep up with their updates.
Not all apps and developers will take full advantage of some of the most powerful handsets whilst catering to the lower end of the market as they want wider target audiences.
Piracy on the platform could be the ultimate demise of the platform. I'm more than willing to support developers but there are plenty of others out there that simply won't and pirate everything they can (not that other platforms are immune to this either).

The biggest thing for me is freedom. I can not and will not put all of my data into an ecosystem which tries to lock me into one hardware/software subset. Apple do offer some fantastic services but their inability to play nice with other platforms makes me personally wary. The vendor lock-in works wonders for some that simply want to stick with Apple but as a desktop Linux user, that will never wash with me.

I'm really pleased we all have the choices we have these days with three (iOS, Android and WP7/8) great platforms that will fit just about anyone's needs. I hope that it continues this way for a long time.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
Lets list on topic the points why we do not like or like android and discuss through.

I do not like android because,

1. Fragmented
Played out, iOS is even fragmented in certain ways. The new Android OS's have basically negated fragmentation except here and there, no biggie IMO, never even experienced Android fragmentation myself even with all the apps I have, but if that worries you that's your prerogative.

2. On ios i know how long my device will be supported and there is an outstanding company behind it, but for android you depend on the manufacturer. Sorta true but more so fault of combination of manufacturer/carrier. Their making changes though, at least Samsung/AT&T to have timelier and consistent updates.

3. Apple devices have longer lifetime in terms build quality and software, for example you can still install iOS6 to an old iphone 3gs but on android side you may have to upgrade your your phone at all.Like the poster above, think your confusing what Android is (phone vs software). Updated iOS is sorta pointless as well since features are left out for previous phones and they never run as smooth, case in point my 3GS runs crappy on iOS5 as well as plenty of others from the plethora of complaints Apple has had regarding that. Run's better downgraded back to iOS4, both it and my 4 have worse battery life on iOS5. 3GS has almost no WiFi (again Apple got a ton of complaints) on iOS5 but works fine on iOS4 good luck explaining that, Apple even acknowledged there's a big problem regarding that but they don't know what causes it/how to fix it and why it effects certain users and not others (their only explanation is phones manufactured through certain dates, but they still have no fix). Far as lifetime, well nobody really knows, neither OSs have been around long relatively speaking. You have to to understand too that even older versions of Android years ago have features that Apple is just getting around to, so for many they already have what they need and updating doesn't mean much, though updates bring newer features no doubt, but these would also still be features Apple still doesn't have for example on an "outdated Android OS".

4. Android is ugly designed, it is not consistent every time on every phone it is looking different.
Again your confusing manufacturer skins, guess what, you can go right into the market and download various launchers and themes and icons for free and fast, and give your phone a completely different look and even different UI interaction. Same reason why iOS was so boring and blah to me, and jailbreaking it gave me what I wanted along with better looking icons etc (which you can do stock on Android)... but to you jailbreaking is pointless as well since it's "customizing"... so that's just your opinion. Hell if someone wanted to they can even theme Android to look just like iOS right down to the 5 year old same icons, so much for being ugly lol.

5. I do not like android because i do not like google, since google have started pushing pressure on its users to sign up google plus stupidity to overcome Facebook i migrated from gmail to iCloud. Google is on the wrong way, it was good in the past when they were only doing search engine thing. And android is tied up with google and his cloned services from apple.Uhhh you do realize Apple copied quite a few things, not the other way around? Though all companies "borrow" from one another, business 101 right there. Googles wrong? You don't want Google+ then click no, thats it, I didn't care to join + either so I said no and never got notified again. That's a big deal to you?? Googles services online were around before Apples if you recall ;) , same ones Apple used and did a "borrowed" version of.

6. I do not like android because i do not believe in customization. I think customization in a deeper sense is a waste of time, at the end of the day your output is the same you just do not need to make shortcuts, change how the home screen looks, change the theme and so on. You are wasting your time to super customize the system to make it work like you want it to but it is a never ending story since there is always more and more. When you update your device then you have got re customize it, when you buy a new device then you have got to re customize it. Plus, with every phone you hold on your hand you expect to get the same personal user experience. But, with using my device efficiently with default settings for every upgrade and every new iphone or ipad i am getting the same efficiency.And who says your forced to customize? iOS and Android work the same right down to the basics, you want to make a call on both you click the phone icon, want to message you click the message icon, want to browse you click the browser icon etc etc. The difference is iOS is like Androids application menu, so you have everything spread out on iOS everywhere including apps you don't want to appear. With Android you could do the same if you wanted that for whatever reason, or you can choose which apps you want and where you want those apps on whatever homescreen. Want only a phone and message icon, you can do that. And keep everything else hidden in the application menu (same reason people jailbreak their phones and only keep a few things show with everything hidden in a "menu"). That's the main difference, you don't have to customize or tweak, Android just gives you that option stock if so choose to do so.

Then if you wanted you could get into rooting and flashing Rom's which is fairly easy, but nobody is forcing you to do so. The way my GSII is setup rocks plain and simple, and don't have the need to keep customizing it. If somebody wanted to tweak their phone daily then that's their choice, samething for jailbroken iPhone users... you have ones who customize and leave as is, and then others who tweak or change stuff daily.... their choice. What you consider wasting time, others find incredible use for tweaking for personal use and business. Now why would I waste time even on my iPhones to jailbreak, well to add simple things Apple still won't implement, fix things they do half assed (folders is just one of many examples) and what you find elegant and nice (stock iOS) myself and others find boring and bland hence custom themes and icons

7. Most android phones are coming in bad build plastic quality thus reducing the life time while iphone is solid, sustainable.Sure the feel of the iphones metal and glass is cool, but that doesn't have an effect on durability like you believe so. It feels great but also makes the iphone extremely fragile even from a small fall. I've dropped my GSII hard a few times by accident, that "bad plastic" is far more durable to abuse and use, and the phone is nice and light and comfy to hold. I've replaced countless iphones for employee's to where I mandated a case had to be used or they'd be responsible (which negates the metal and glass build so... so much for that), other employee's have Android or BB (few windows users as well) and not one replacement due to so called "build quality or durability".

8. On android your decision mechanism is confused, because there are hundreds of variants of android os installed on hundreds of different phones and only a few of them is doing the job properly. There is only one iphone and one ipad they are super good so you know what you will get with it, with apple when i need to buy mobile device i do not need to search for reviews over internet and try demos from friends of mine to find the best one.
Doesn't seem to bother me, stick to the high end phones and your fine. If you get "confused" and go for the cheap sets well.... the thing is there's "choice", you may have gotten confused but obviously there are a ton of others judging from Android device sales #s that like having choice. Nothing wrong with that.

9. I do not want adroid because i am into apple eco system. I have got a macbook pro running mountain lion which is best os ever, I have got an apple tv, an ipad so there are all %100 compatible.
Well if your tied in to Apple then there's nothing wrong with that and your choice. I've had iPhones since they came out, and tons of Apple products, yet don't feel constrained to "Apples eco system" and don't care to be either, heck my GSII syncs and works fine with my Macs. Apple tv etc doesn't matter much to me since for example I have a custom home theater setup with my PC that blows away what I could do with my Apple TV which I barely used anyway, sold it and my iMac. But if you like using Apples products only and their Eco-system then no problem with that, again it's your choice and opinion.

10. I like ios over android because from bottom to top design is consistent with the device. For example, the geometry, ratio, colors they use on ios is relevant to the design of the hardware. On android, the os and device are not looking they are designed for each other.

To sum up,

Apple is consistent, a piece of art, durable, longer life time, stable, efficient, very easy like idiot proof, visually perfect, giving the maximum with minimum, future proof, elegant.Well like your opinion mines the opposite, and very reason I jailbreak my iPhones to get away from Apples "look" if you may. Like the poster above though I think your still confusing the phones yet still blaming the OS, not Androids fault others put skins and different UI over it or put the OS in various sized and shaped phones (choice).

Apple likes to keep things simple which is fine for many users and I have nothing against, I wouldn't own iPhones if I did. I just prefer Android now. You like car X I like car B, you like meat X I like meat B, you like doing X I like doing B.

Can't go wrong either way :cool:

Last edited:

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
Hey Surferman,

Like many people, the word Android is used to synonymously mean both a phone running the Android OS (regardless of manufacturer), as well as describing the OS.
There are so many names of phones between all the carriers and manufacturers, no one can remember them all. :D it is just easier to say Android.

I like Android because I like Android. :cool it is too cool to be confused with iOS.

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
Build Quality? How is apple build quality good? Half the time the home button doesn't work after a few months and if you drop your phone on the floor, it will shatter no matter what angle it falls on the floor. I haven't seen other manufacturers wrap the entire phone in easily shattered materials.

Rennir

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2012
If you want to be taken seriously, then don't make the OP so openly biased :p I find it hard to believe that a person who is trying to be objective can't find one good thing about Android.

About the build quality though, you have to define that word. I find HTC build quality to be good; and once I get over the completely illogical idea that weight of a device correlates to build quality, Samsung phones are pretty good too. Motorola Razr is nice too :cool:

Jb07

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2011
Dallas
Why did you even make this thread? This isn't a blog. Sorry you don't like Android, but I don't see any reason to make another thread.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
OP: Well stated for your reasons. I am not sure why you felt the need to make a post on it, but I am always up for reasons to spout off my opinions (forum addict).

ChazUK: Once again, I admire your post. VERY well spoken, detailed and logical vs emotional :D

As for me, being a noob to Android as well as a Apple fan, although the kool aid is wearing off a bit.

I can say this (completely unbiased btw) as far as practical functionality of the phone there is little to no difference on how my SSGS3 performs compared to my former iP4. Smooth, no lag, no stutters, does what I want/need it to and a bit more. The only thing I found unenjoyable was figuring out how to make it play nice with my existing Itunes, contacts etc.

I AM enjoying looking at my screen (how I choose to craft it, not how it is dictated to me), this is a nice change of pace. I am enjoying some of the simple functionalities that Android allows compared to iphone. ie: brightness slider widget, pull down notification that details nicely everything that is going on with my device. I like seeing my notifications on my home screen if I missed it somehow. I also know this is a Samsung thing, but I really LOVE not having to tap my damn screen every 10 seconds just to keep the device awake! Apple would never allow or do something like that.

I like how Android SHOWS you what permissions etc are needed before you choose to download an app.

Don't get me wrong Apple puts out a good product, but I have to admit I was getting tired of the baby steps when it comes down to them releasing "new" hardware in which they recycle their old hardware, in small increments and tout the device as the newest and greatest thing ever.

I am not keen on the design of my new phone, but it sure as hell is light, slick and streamlined for such a large and powerful device. Call it plastic, but polycarbonate is quite strong and resilient. People who choose to just call it plastic for spite are people who have their minds closed. I have a friend who has the 3GS and I think that phone feels better in the hand than my iP4 EVER did.

As far as what I don't like about Android:

Yes, some apps aren't designed well for either my country or device. I miss PvZ...

I wonder when I will get the next OS, but I also made sure I loved how my phone CURRENTLY works before I bought it.

Ease of back up and restore compared to Apple is no where near as good and easy.

reefoid

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2011
UK
You don't believe in being able to customise the OS so it works how you want it to?

How could that POSSIBLY be a bad thing? :confused:

Agreed, always makes me laugh when people say customisation is a bad thing. Bet your bottom dollar that those people are quite happy to customise their PC/Mac/laptop desktops to suit their needs (wallpapers/docks/shortcuts/widgets, etc) but for some bizarre reason they deem it to be a bad thing on a phone. Weird.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
Agreed, always makes me laugh when people say customisation is a bad thing. Bet your bottom dollar that those people are quite happy to customise their PC/Mac/laptop desktops to suit their needs (wallpapers/docks/shortcuts/widgets, etc) but for some bizarre reason they deem it to be a bad thing on a phone. Weird.

Even funnier, if you think about it, if they move ONE folder that Apple has set on the default settings, they are customizing it.

If they create ONE folder to move other things into, they are customizing it.

If they set ONE preference for their phone's behaviour, they are customizing it.

If they set ONE wallpaper other than what is default, or one ringtone etc.

Customization is still customization, the only difference between Android and Apple is the volume of it available and the desire to use it.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
If you want to be taken seriously, then don't make the OP so openly biased :p I find it hard to believe that a person who is trying to be objective can't find one good thing about Android...

I was also a little surprised that the title contained "do and don't like" and the post was purely "don't like". ;)

Why I prefer Android over iOS and WP7 as my primary smartphone platform:

<snip>

I'm really pleased we all have the choices we have these days with three (iOS, Android and WP7/8) great platforms that will fit just about anyone's needs. I hope that it continues this way for a long time.

This basically sums up why I like Android. It doesn't mean I'll never have an iPhone, just that right now I am really enjoying my Galaxy Note for more or less the reasons given here. And I agree completely that the competition is great, because it results in more choices for the consumer. :cool:

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
People talk about how android is fragmented which is true.

This 'fragmentation' issue is usually thrown about by people who have never actually used Android and in reality really doesn't result in many negative consequences for the end user. Over the 5 Android devices I have owned it's rarely been an issue. On the odd occasions where an app hasn't worked on my device there's almost always another equally good app which does the same thing and does work. That or the dev releases a bug fix.

People like the OP might then throw out the fragmentation issue and how it's harder on developers. Sure, Android devices come with a variety of screen resolutions, CPUs, graphics capabilities, RAM and operating system versions.

If this is such an issue, then why is it that developers of desktop applications on OS X, Windows, Linux and pretty much every other operating system for the last three decades have been able to make applications just fine even though the fragmentation of hardware and OS found on desktop systems far exceeds that of all the variations found in the Android world??

Honestly, the fragmentation "issue" is generally speaking a load of bollocks bandied about by people like the OP who are just mindlessly regurgitating propaganda created by people with the same agenda as themselves in an effort to justify their own closed-minded opinions...

What is the OP doing here? Why did they create this thread?

:mad:

Last edited:

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I have seen the word "fragmented" on many occasion. I ask this question because I don't know the answer and TBH, suspect, I am not the only one, but, what does fragmented mean when used with Android and Apple please?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.