Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Android fragmentation is not as bad as it seems, the main problem is with the OEMs who don't know how to develop a stable product to begin with. I'll give you an example with the Kindle Fire... Amazon ships a broken audio codec with it. It isn't noticeable until you start playing games that do use it, versus just plain audio (or whatever). So when you play a game like SQUIDS, for example, you can play it, but then you can't hear the beautiful soundtrack because the driver is broken. My Samsung phone has graphic issues, particularly with Microsoft's Kinectimals, again due to broken drivers in the shipped ROM.

This is all fixed on supported nightly/stable AOKP/CyanogenMod ROMs, so it's not hardware related at all.

Another thing is that the people making these motherboards are also pushing out newer drivers everyday and obviously that would really help to keep a device stable, yet none of us on stock are getting that benefit.

Apple's fragmentation is not really that bad either, it's just the fact that we have an ecosystem that depends on people upgrading and the fact that people are unwilling to. How many of us had third-generation iPods for four years, iPod Videos until 2010, and our 2G iPhones until iPhone 4?

TG1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
I like Android because I can do just about everything that I want to do that I need a jailbreak on my iPhone to do.

SBSettings - > Toggles on Android
BiteSMS - > Handcent / GoSMS
Themes/Tweaks (Winterboard, Barrel, Activator, etc) - > Any Android launcher (Go, Apex, Nova, etc)

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
4. Android is ugly designed, it is not consistent every time on every phone it is looking different.

Whilst we're all having civil discussion, I would like to say that this reason to "hate" android really confuses me.

Say you bought HTC's latest HTC One X with its Sense UI. Every single day you use that phone it'll be the same UI, same aesthetic and same behaviour. It's your phone after all and you use it daily.

Why at that point does it cause any detriment to your phone that the Samsung Galaxy S III (that you aren't using) looks different, the LG Optimus has it's own thing and the Motorola Razr Maxx has its own style?

I could only ever see the different OEM skins causing issues if you:
  • Swapped to a completely different model every day - not likely.
  • Had your phone randomly boot up into a different launcher set up each day you use it.

Can someone please explain why the fact that a different handset you aren't using and don't own makes the platform suffer because "every time on every phone it is looking different"? It just doesn't make sense at all to me. :confused:

Thanks.

------

ChazUK: Once again, I admire your post. VERY well spoken, detailed and logical vs emotional :D

This basically sums up why I like Android. It doesn't mean I'll never have an iPhone, just that right now I am really enjoying my Galaxy Note for more or less the reasons given here. And I agree completely that the competition is great, because it results in more choices for the consumer. :cool:

Thanks to you both. I'd be lost today if we saw a big player like Apple, Google or Microsoft bought down in the market today. I'll even be happy if RIM can pull a rabbit out of a hat and outdo everyone again. :D

Things can only get better with strong competitors!

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
I like Android because I can do just about everything that I want to do that I need a jailbreak on my iPhone to do.

SBSettings - > Toggles on Android
BiteSMS - > Handcent / GoSMS
Themes/Tweaks (Winterboard, Barrel, Activator, etc) - > Any Android launcher (Go, Apex, Nova, etc)

I have all 3 you mention on the iPhones and fail to see where their better? SBS - basically a copy of Androids toggles, you pull down notifications in both and all the main things you need are right there, though with Android you get more customization for which toggles are there depending on Rom you use. I love SBS, but fail to see how that's better???

BiteSMS -> ChompSMS on Android made by the same devs as "BiteSMS" ;) . I don't use any of them now though (like Go and handcent) as I prefer the simple and fast messaging of the stock ICS app now (though may have to do with the custom Rom I'm on).

Having used Winterboard/Barrel/Activator etc for years and still have on my iPhones, how are they better? Barrel has some of the same effects that are on GoLauncherEX but then your still missing all the other features of it along with the slick App drawer (mines set for vertical 3d scrolling). And as much as I love the theming, even using custom ones from modmyi that most don't even know of, don't see what's better there vs what can be done on Android?? Same for Activator.

Just curious... ?

UKBeast

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 21, 2010
Turkey
Lets list on topic the points why we do not like or like android and discuss through.

I do not like android because,

1. Fragmented
Played out, iOS is even fragmented in certain ways. The new Android OS's have basically negated fragmentation except here and there, no biggie IMO, never even experienced Android fragmentation myself even with all the apps I have, but if that worries you that's your prerogative.

2. On ios i know how long my device will be supported and there is an outstanding company behind it, but for android you depend on the manufacturer. Sorta true but more so fault of combination of manufacturer/carrier. Their making changes though, at least Samsung/AT&T to have timelier and consistent updates.

3. Apple devices have longer lifetime in terms build quality and software, for example you can still install iOS6 to an old iphone 3gs but on android side you may have to upgrade your your phone at all.Like the poster above, think your confusing what Android is (phone vs software). Updated iOS is sorta pointless as well since features are left out for previous phones and they never run as smooth, case in point my 3GS runs crappy on iOS5 as well as plenty of others from the plethora of complaints Apple has had regarding that. Run's better downgraded back to iOS4, both it and my 4 have worse battery life on iOS5. 3GS has almost no WiFi (again Apple got a ton of complaints) on iOS5 but works fine on iOS4 good luck explaining that, Apple even acknowledged there's a big problem regarding that but they don't know what causes it/how to fix it and why it effects certain users and not others (their only explanation is phones manufactured through certain dates, but they still have no fix). Far as lifetime, well nobody really knows, neither OSs have been around long relatively speaking. You have to to understand too that even older versions of Android years ago have features that Apple is just getting around to, so for many they already have what they need and updating doesn't mean much, though updates bring newer features no doubt, but these would also still be features Apple still doesn't have for example on an "outdated Android OS".

4. Android is ugly designed, it is not consistent every time on every phone it is looking different.
Again your confusing manufacturer skins, guess what, you can go right into the market and download various launchers and themes and icons for free and fast, and give your phone a completely different look and even different UI interaction. Same reason why iOS was so boring and blah to me, and jailbreaking it gave me what I wanted along with better looking icons etc (which you can do stock on Android)... but to you jailbreaking is pointless as well since it's "customizing"... so that's just your opinion. Hell if someone wanted to they can even theme Android to look just like iOS right down to the 5 year old same icons, so much for being ugly lol.

5. I do not like android because i do not like google, since google have started pushing pressure on its users to sign up google plus stupidity to overcome Facebook i migrated from gmail to iCloud. Google is on the wrong way, it was good in the past when they were only doing search engine thing. And android is tied up with google and his cloned services from apple.Uhhh you do realize Apple copied quite a few things, not the other way around? Though all companies "borrow" from one another, business 101 right there. Googles wrong? You don't want Google+ then click no, thats it, I didn't care to join + either so I said no and never got notified again. That's a big deal to you?? Googles services online were around before Apples if you recall ;) , same ones Apple used and did a "borrowed" version of.

6. I do not like android because i do not believe in customization. I think customization in a deeper sense is a waste of time, at the end of the day your output is the same you just do not need to make shortcuts, change how the home screen looks, change the theme and so on. You are wasting your time to super customize the system to make it work like you want it to but it is a never ending story since there is always more and more. When you update your device then you have got re customize it, when you buy a new device then you have got to re customize it. Plus, with every phone you hold on your hand you expect to get the same personal user experience. But, with using my device efficiently with default settings for every upgrade and every new iphone or ipad i am getting the same efficiency.And who says your forced to customize? iOS and Android work the same right down to the basics, you want to make a call on both you click the phone icon, want to message you click the message icon, want to browse you click the browser icon etc etc. The difference is iOS is like Androids application menu, so you have everything spread out on iOS everywhere including apps you don't want to appear. With Android you could do the same if you wanted that for whatever reason, or you can choose which apps you want and where you want those apps on whatever homescreen. Want only a phone and message icon, you can do that. And keep everything else hidden in the application menu (same reason people jailbreak their phones and only keep a few things show with everything hidden in a "menu"). That's the main difference, you don't have to customize or tweak, Android just gives you that option stock if so choose to do so.

Then if you wanted you could get into rooting and flashing Rom's which is fairly easy, but nobody is forcing you to do so. The way my GSII is setup rocks plain and simple, and don't have the need to keep customizing it. If somebody wanted to tweak their phone daily then that's their choice, samething for jailbroken iPhone users... you have ones who customize and leave as is, and then others who tweak or change stuff daily.... their choice. What you consider wasting time, others find incredible use for tweaking for personal use and business. Now why would I waste time even on my iPhones to jailbreak, well to add simple things Apple still won't implement, fix things they do half assed (folders is just one of many examples) and what you find elegant and nice (stock iOS) myself and others find boring and bland hence custom themes and icons

7. Most android phones are coming in bad build plastic quality thus reducing the life time while iphone is solid, sustainable.Sure the feel of the iphones metal and glass is cool, but that doesn't have an effect on durability like you believe so. It feels great but also makes the iphone extremely fragile even from a small fall. I've dropped my GSII hard a few times by accident, that "bad plastic" is far more durable to abuse and use, and the phone is nice and light and comfy to hold. I've replaced countless iphones for employee's to where I mandated a case had to be used or they'd be responsible (which negates the metal and glass build so... so much for that), other employee's have Android or BB (few windows users as well) and not one replacement due to so called "build quality or durability".

8. On android your decision mechanism is confused, because there are hundreds of variants of android os installed on hundreds of different phones and only a few of them is doing the job properly. There is only one iphone and one ipad they are super good so you know what you will get with it, with apple when i need to buy mobile device i do not need to search for reviews over internet and try demos from friends of mine to find the best one.
Doesn't seem to bother me, stick to the high end phones and your fine. If you get "confused" and go for the cheap sets well.... the thing is there's "choice", you may have gotten confused but obviously there are a ton of others judging from Android device sales #s that like having choice. Nothing wrong with that.

9. I do not want adroid because i am into apple eco system. I have got a macbook pro running mountain lion which is best os ever, I have got an apple tv, an ipad so there are all %100 compatible.
Well if your tied in to Apple then there's nothing wrong with that and your choice. I've had iPhones since they came out, and tons of Apple products, yet don't feel constrained to "Apples eco system" and don't care to be either, heck my GSII syncs and works fine with my Macs. Apple tv etc doesn't matter much to me since for example I have a custom home theater setup with my PC that blows away what I could do with my Apple TV which I barely used anyway, sold it and my iMac. But if you like using Apples products only and their Eco-system then no problem with that, again it's your choice and opinion.

10. I like ios over android because from bottom to top design is consistent with the device. For example, the geometry, ratio, colors they use on ios is relevant to the design of the hardware. On android, the os and device are not looking they are designed for each other.

To sum up,

Apple is consistent, a piece of art, durable, longer life time, stable, efficient, very easy like idiot proof, visually perfect, giving the maximum with minimum, future proof, elegant.Well like your opinion mines the opposite, and very reason I jailbreak my iPhones to get away from Apples "look" if you may. Like the poster above though I think your still confusing the phones yet still blaming the OS, not Androids fault others put skins and different UI over it or put the OS in various sized and shaped phones (choice).

Apple likes to keep things simple which is fine for many users and I have nothing against, I wouldn't own iPhones if I did. I just prefer Android now. You like car X I like car B, you like meat X I like meat B, you like doing X I like doing B.

Can't go wrong either way :cool:

I do not think that separating the os and the device, when you want to valuate it, is logical on the consumer side. For users, the experience is not only in the hands of the os but also in the hand of the hardware. Without an os, hardware is nothing like without hardware os is nothing. They complete each other so if one has a false it effects the other, we should not think it individually separately. An android device is an android device no matter it is samsung or htc or whatever is..

Main difference of android to ios is customizability and open free characteristics. I jailbreaked my device in the past did not need to keep it jailbreaked, the extras I got with jailbreak was not useful for me besides it was turning my device to an alien it was not looking like the device i bought. I do not think creating shortcuts, changing the theme, ui is productive and at the end of the day the difference is negligible. Because even if you use it at factory settings you can still do what you need to do. If you want to browse the net you do it, if you want to listen music then you listen it, if you want to watch something then the app is on there. iOS is already coming optimized.

So customization and free development is not an advantage for me.

And also as i said before, android is tied with google, no matter how you refuse to sign up for google plus services you have to be part of it at the end to get benefits.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
I do not think that separating the os and the device, when you want to valuate it, is logical on the consumer side. For users, the experience is not only in the hands of the os but also in the hand of the hardware. Without an os, hardware is nothing like without hardware os is nothing. They complete each other so if one has a false it effects the other, we should not think it individually separately. An android device is an android device no matter it is samsung or htc or whatever is..

Main difference of android to ios is customizability and open free characteristics. I jailbreaked my device in the past did not need to keep it jailbreaked, the extras I got with jailbreak was not useful for me besides it was turning my device to an alien it was not looking like the device i bought. I do not think creating shortcuts, changing the theme, ui is productive and at the end of the day the difference is negligible. Because even if you use it at factory settings you can still do what you need to do. If you want to browse the net you do it, if you want to listen music then you listen it, if you want to watch something then the app is on there. iOS is already coming optimized.

So customization and free development is not an advantage for me.

And also as i said before, android is tied with google, no matter how you refuse to sign up for google plus services you have to be part of it at the end to get benefits.
Not sure what your talking about, if you want to use the iPhone you have to be apart and tied into Apples services.. so your point??? You don't want to be apart of Google+ you don't have to be, so not sure what you mean there. I even keep my iPhones and our all business phones synch'd for various things through Gmail vs dealing with iCloud for all our employees iPhones, same for other phones users (BB etc) since Googles gives me the ability to monitor and sync all devices, can't synch and monitor with iCloud unless it's only for iPhones. So don't know what your beef is with Gmail which is tied to Android as it synchs and makes things very simple when using multiple devices (i.e. contacts, calenders etc). But if you don't like Gmail or Google or whatever for whatever reason then hey it's your choice, nothing wrong with that.

Android comes the same, just like you said, want to make a call you press phone just like the iPhone, want to text you press the text message just like the iPhone, want to browse you press the browser just like the iPhone, want to go into contacts you press contacts just like the iphone.... no again not sure what your talking about there? For the basics both OS are essentially the same, difference again is Androids gives you the option" if you want to" customize those settings stock. As well as keep apps hidden in the App drawer, since iOS is basically just the App drawer you have all these home screens even if their not used and icons everywhere since you can't do anything unless your jailbroken.

So you don't find customizing beneficial. Myself and others do, even on the iPhones. I have the iPhones customized b/c it makes sense, fixes things Apple did half assed or simple things they won't do even though their mantra is "keep it simple", and makes the phones more efficient for use whether business or personal. But if your fine using stock iOS then that's ok too.

You obviously have a grudge against Google, but no biggie. Heck people like me even use both OS together :D

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
When it comes to customising iPhones, I find this is often done by putting on a different case. My wife bought a few cases for her iPhone and will swap cases if she wants to change it.

When it comes to customising Android phones, people often do so via the OS and software. They download different themes, launchers, etc. They modify their home screens with different widgets and short cuts and so forth.

The biggest reason why I chose not to buy any iOS devices for myself is the lack of variety in the hardware. For me personally, a number of times when I went to buy a phone or a tablet, I ended up ranking an iOS device second best for me personally. There always seemed to be like one Android device that I liked more than an iOS device. The iOS device is second then a bunch of Android devices came in third and beyond.

The main reason for the one Android device to top the iOS device on my list is the physical, hardware aspect of the device. I wanted a physical keyboard and iOS doesn't have it. At least one Android device has this feature that pushes it to the number 1 spot. If Apple made an iOS device with a physical keyboard that I liked, I would probably have gotten that instead of the Android device.

Since I am pretty entrenched in the Android ecosystem now, it would take something really spectacular from Apple to really switch. Since I have been following mobile technology in the past 2 years, I haven't seen anything from Apple that would make me consider switching. The only other reason I would switch to iOS is if Google/Android totally screws up and make me want to leave. They haven't done anything of the sort. If anything, I think Android has improved since I got my first Android device 2 years ago.

TG1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
I have all 3 you mention on the iPhones and fail to see where their better? SBS - basically a copy of Androids toggles, you pull down notifications in both and all the main things you need are right there, though with Android you get more customization for which toggles are there depending on Rom you use. I love SBS, but fail to see how that's better???

BiteSMS -> ChompSMS on Android made by the same devs as "BiteSMS" ;) . I don't use any of them now though (like Go and handcent) as I prefer the simple and fast messaging of the stock ICS app now (though may have to do with the custom Rom I'm on).

Having used Winterboard/Barrel/Activator etc for years and still have on my iPhones, how are they better? Barrel has some of the same effects that are on GoLauncherEX but then your still missing all the other features of it along with the slick App drawer (mines set for vertical 3d scrolling). And as much as I love the theming, even using custom ones from modmyi that most don't even know of, don't see what's better there vs what can be done on Android?? Same for Activator.

Just curious... ?
I agree. I don't think the jailbreak options are better than what Android offers right out of the Play Store. :)

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
I agree. I don't think the jailbreak options are better than what Android offers right out of the Play Store. :)
I think I misunderstood your post before lol, when you had " - >" I thought you meant it as greater than, like 5 > 1. Looks like you meant it to show the Android version of X or vice versa.

my bad lol

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
I think "liking" or "hating" a mobile OS is a thing of the past. I have used both and frankly there is some things iOS excels on and some things where android takes the cake and i have an extremely hard time deciding on one OS. I simply cannot do it! UI wise, performance wise, battery wise android has had a MASSIVE jump since Froyo. At least that is how i feel. On the other hand iOS still keeps its edge on some things too.

However, i have yet to like any device android runs on apart from some HTC ones.

I would like a premium build, a screen size between 4 and 4.3 inches, stock android only, decent camera device and i would be set. Think nexus one coming out in early 2010. Great HTC build, stock Eclair, top of the line android phone of its time, and pretty much had my attention on android started by it. I LOVED it. It is a shame the next two nexi have not impressed me as much as it did and the OEM skinned phones are, well, we all know about this beaten horse.

Once WP8 comes out i will have a hard time deciding between the three as i already like a lot of things about WP7!

Most of the people who seem to hate anything other than they use probably are too attached to the bunch of 1s and 0s. If swapping phones became much more seamless i probably would be using a nexus, iPhone, and a lumia interchangeably all the time.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
I think "liking" or "hating" a mobile OS is a thing of the past. I have used both and frankly there is some things iOS excels on and some things where android takes the cake and i have an extremely hard time deciding on one OS. I simply cannot do it! UI wise, performance wise, battery wise android has had a MASSIVE jump since Froyo. At least that is how i feel. On the other hand iOS still keeps its edge on some things too.

However, i have yet to like any device android runs on apart from some HTC ones.

I would like a premium build, a screen size between 4 and 4.3 inches, stock android only, decent camera device and i would be set. Think nexus one coming out in early 2010. Great HTC build, stock Eclair, top of the line android phone of its time, and pretty much had my attention on android started by it. I LOVED it. It is a shame the next two nexi have not impressed me as much as it did and the OEM skinned phones are, well, we all know about this beaten horse.

Once WP8 comes out i will have a hard time deciding between the three as i already like a lot of things about WP7!

Most of the people who seem to hate anything other than they use probably are too attached to the bunch of 1s and 0s. If swapping phones became much more seamless i probably would be using a nexus, iPhone, and a lumia interchangeably all the time.
Yeh that's one thing I wish for, that there will still be good options around 4.3", I love the size of my GSII, not big or small. But I think were going to be SOL for those sizes.

Hopefully the next Nexus is impressive too and they don't gimp it on the Camera again. Seriously how can a "flagship" phone have a cam so far behind a GSII/4S... made no sense.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
Yeh that's one thing I wish for, that there will still be good options around 4.3", I love the size of my GSII, not big or small. But I think were going to be SOL for those sizes.

Hopefully the next Nexus is impressive too and they don't gimp it on the Camera again. Seriously how can a "flagship" phone have a cam so far behind a GSII/4S... made no sense.

Yeah hopefully not a samsung this time. Even nokia made a 4 and a 4,3 inch lumia running WP7.5. At least they get "it".

skidbubble

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2010
OK, I'll take the troll bait.

I do like Android because it does not require me to check in with the iTunes mother ship any time I want to do something.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

Nexus are developers phones. The S2 was still Samsungs bread and butter at that time. Don't expect amazing hardware on a Nexus, just the latest (usually best) software and awesome dev support.

Look at the N7, no rear facing camera at all, no expandable storage, no cellular option. Decent screen, fast processor and latest software. Compared to the first Android Nexus tablet the Xoom which was pretty much a bust its severely lacking because the Xoom packed in all the latest and greatest at the time but it was over kill and drove the price too high. They won't make that mistake again...

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Lets list on topic the points why we do not like or like android and discuss through.

1. Fragmented

iOS is not fragmented free.

2. On ios i know how long my device will be supported and there is an outstanding company behind it, but for android you depend on the manufacturer.

Yeah, but you wont get 100% of the update so whats the use of having a halfassed update?

3. Apple devices have longer lifetime in terms build quality and software, for example you can still install iOS6 to an old iphone 3gs but on android side you may have to upgrade your your phone at all.

Again, you arent getting the whole upgrade on the 3GS.

Well....that is actually a good thing. Who wants the same ol looking thing everytime? How many people in here have said they are tired of the same ol thing? You have choices and many of them to buy the one you think looks good.
5. I do not like android because i do not like google, since google have started pushing pressure on its users to sign up google plus stupidity to overcome Facebook i migrated from gmail to iCloud. Google is on the wrong way, it was good in the past when they were only doing search engine thing. And android is tied up with google and his cloned services from apple.

LOL...dude, you dont have to sign up for Google+. I dont use it and i think it sucks. Google does many good things so to each their own i guess.

6. I do not like android because i do not believe in customization. I think customization in a deeper sense is a waste of time, at the end of the day your output is the same you just do not need to make shortcuts, change how the home screen looks, change the theme and so on. You are wasting your time to super customize the system to make it work like you want it to but it is a never ending story since there is always more and more. When you update your device then you have got re customize it, when you buy a new device then you have got to re customize it. Plus, with every phone you hold on your hand you expect to get the same personal user experience. But, with using my device efficiently with default settings for every upgrade and every new iphone or ipad i am getting the same efficiency.

Nobody said you had to use the customization. It is there if you want to though. This is a weak statement actually.
7. Most android phones are coming in bad build plastic quality thus reducing the life time while iphone is solid, sustainable.

:rolleyes: Mant are made of polycarbonate now. Guess you dont know the difference. And why would it reduce the life of the phone anyways?
8. On android your decision mechanism is confused, because there are hundreds of variants of android os installed on hundreds of different phones and only a few of them is doing the job properly. There is only one iphone and one ipad they are super good so you know what you will get with it, with apple when i need to buy mobile device i do not need to search for reviews over internet and try demos from friends of mine to find the best one.

Sounds like YOU are confused.

9. I do not want adroid because i am into apple eco system. I have got a macbook pro running mountain lion which is best os ever, I have got an apple tv, an ipad so there are all %100 compatible.

I think iTunes sux myself. I dont have an issue with Apple OS on their computers and such and Android is compatible with them. You have to know what your doing. It isnt hard.
10. I like ios over android because from bottom to top design is consistent with the device. For example, the geometry, ratio, colors they use on ios is relevant to the design of the hardware. On android, the os and device are not looking they are designed for each other.

:confused:

To sum up,

Apple is consistent, a piece of art, durable, longer life time, stable, efficient, very easy like idiot proof, visually perfect, giving the maximum with minimum, future proof, elegant.

This post reminds me of Dr Suess.

I do not like Green Eggs and Ham, i will not eat them Sam I Am!

Thank for this worthless thread.

----------

I do like Android because it does not require me to check in with the iTunes mother ship any time I want to do something.

Amen

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA

THIS. TIMES. 1,000 x 1,000 x 1,000 x Infinity.

Honestly, I LOVE the iPhone, and will do my best to get the new one. But even if I tell it not to, my iPhones have always forced iTunes to open every time I plug them into the computer. It's annoying, it makes my computer sluggish, and it's a waste of time, especially if all I want to do is charge the thing or unload pictures via Image Capture.

sineplex

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2010
can't stand how iOS doesn't have a useable accessible file system that all software is able to access so you're forced to jump through a million hoops.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
THIS. TIMES. 1,000 x 1,000 x 1,000 x Infinity.

Honestly, I LOVE the iPhone, and will do my best to get the new one. But even if I tell it not to, my iPhones have always forced iTunes to open every time I plug them into the computer. It's annoying, it makes my computer sluggish, and it's a waste of time, especially if all I want to do is charge the thing or unload pictures via Image Capture.
Er, what. You can disable that easily.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire

1. Fragmented

2. On ios i know how long my device will be supported and there is an outstanding company behind it, but for android you depend on the manufacturer.

3. Apple devices have longer lifetime in terms build quality and software, for example you can still install iOS6 to an old iphone 3gs but on android side you may have to upgrade your your phone at all.

5. I do not like android because i do not like google, since google have started pushing pressure on its users to sign up google plus stupidity to overcome Facebook i migrated from gmail to iCloud. Google is on the wrong way, it was good in the past when they were only doing search engine thing. And android is tied up with google and his cloned services from apple.

6. I do not like android because i do not believe in customization. I think customization in a deeper sense is a waste of time, at the end of the day your output is the same you just do not need to make shortcuts, change how the home screen looks, change the theme and so on. You are wasting your time to super customize the system to make it work like you want it to but it is a never ending story since there is always more and more. When you update your device then you have got re customize it, when you buy a new device then you have got to re customize it. Plus, with every phone you hold on your hand you expect to get the same personal user experience. But, with using my device efficiently with default settings for every upgrade and every new iphone or ipad i am getting the same efficiency.

7. Most android phones are coming in bad build plastic quality thus reducing the life time while iphone is solid, sustainable.

To sum up,

Apple is consistent, a piece of art, durable, longer life time, stable, efficient, very easy like idiot proof, visually perfect, giving the maximum with minimum, future proof, elegant.

The above post loosely translated means; "I've never had a modern Android phone"

TG1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
Another thing I LIKE. Weather widgets. I can't live without them and Android has a *blank*-storm of 'em.

UKBeast

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 21, 2010
Turkey
Another thing I LIKE. Weather widgets. I can't live without them and Android has a *blank*-storm of 'em.

I do not find widgets necessary, it basically shows what you already can see on apps installed. You can open the weather app in a few clicks, widgets does not make sense to have it on the home screen.

----------

The above post loosely translated means; "I've never had a modern Android phone"

I had it for a week, did not like it :)

UKBeast

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 21, 2010
Turkey
Why?

Your numbers 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 should have stopped you trying one in the first place. I stick with my original comment.

My friend's got a samsung s3 which i used about a week, and i have also seen other android devices.

Android is for people who likes to spend their time with customizing, changing theme, installing custom rom making it look more and more alien. I am finding it complicated and unnecessary since I do what i need to do the same with ios much faster and smoother. On android you have got to play around lots of windows and the benefits over ios is negligible. ios is dead simple and saving me time.

widgets are useless as well, why do i need to look at my facebook status or twitter status on a half shrunk screen while there is already an app on system which does the job properly full screen and i can open it in a few seconds.

I never jailbreak my idevices.

Using android is like using ubuntu.

stock ios is better than stock andoid and also apple is ecosystem is perfect so ios plays with it very well. Google's eco system is not mature.

I have got mbp, apple tv..

Prototypical

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
Nebraska

I used to feel the same way, until I realized that being able to see incorrect weather forecasts quickly, doesn't make them any less wrong. :p

</bittermidwesterner>

UKBeast

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 21, 2010
Turkey
I used to feel the same way, until I realized that being able to see incorrect weather forecasts quickly, doesn't make them any less wrong. :p

</bittermidwesterner>

exactly, widgets are only working for the appearance in fact it does not any beneficial advantage. Apps are already doing enough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.