Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I find the Mini 6 display to be perfectly fine for a portable device of its size. As good as my 2021 12.9? No - but I don't expect it to be and find it's great for my purposes as a complementary on-the-go tablet.
So I returned my iPad Pro 11 (still within return date) and picked up a mini 6 that was in stock locally. I do most of my news reading and researching on my MBP or iPhone. I have used an iPP 11 from 2018-2022 and really wanted to try out the mini, so finally saw one in stock locally & picked one up and .... I can't believe people are complaining about this jelly scrolling. Such a minor thing (to me). The screen is great for what it is. And since I use my iPad for 99% reading? WOW holding this in one hand is such a pleasant experience (after using an iPP 11 for quite awhile) - I've found the iPad I am going to stick with.

The iPhone 13 PM is too small to read on comfortably. The iPP 11 is just a bit too big (not 1 hand'able). The mini 6 - I did not think I'd like it as much as I am right now. The screen is amazing.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
So I returned my iPad Pro 11 (still within return date) and picked up a mini 6 that was in stock locally. I do most of my news reading and researching on my MBP or iPhone. I have used an iPP 11 from 2018-2022 and really wanted to try out the mini, so finally saw one in stock locally & picked one up and .... I can't believe people are complaining about this jelly scrolling. Such a minor thing (to me). The screen is great for what it is. And since I use my iPad for 99% reading? WOW holding this in one hand is such a pleasant experience (after using an iPP 11 for quite awhile) - I've found the iPad I am going to stick with.

The iPhone 13 PM is too small to read on comfortably. The iPP 11 is just a bit too big (not 1 hand'able). The mini 6 - I did not think I'd like it as much as I am right now. The screen is amazing.
Glad you're loving your mini 6. I also love mine. I'm just interested in where you get your news from? Is it Apple News? I have Apple One but have not really got "in to" Apple News so any tips? Any other good news sources? Thanks.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Glad you're loving your mini 6. I also love mine. I'm just interested in where you get your news from? Is it Apple News? I have Apple One but have not really got "in to" Apple News so any tips? Any other good news sources? Thanks.
I'm a bit unique I guess with my news. I'll skim Apple News but I rarely open the article unless it's super interesting. I have subs to WSJ/Economist/Ars Technica and prefer the browser version of those with adguard pro. I'll only really open Apple News once or twice a week to skim topics - cannot stand the ads. Economist is really knocking it out of the ballpark with its Ukraine coverage!

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
I'm a bit unique I guess with my news. I'll skim Apple News but I rarely open the article unless it's super interesting. I have subs to WSJ/Economist/Ars Technica and prefer the browser version of those with adguard pro. I'll only really open Apple News once or twice a week to skim topics - cannot stand the ads. Economist is really knocking it out of the ballpark with its Ukraine coverage!
As I say I have Apple News + but also subscribe to The Times (London). Will check out the Economist as used to subscribe to them also.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I have the mini 6 and love it. Love the form factor, can't see the jelly scroll and just find it a pleasure to use. I also have the 12.9 iPad Pro which now sits predominantly on my office desk. The mini is so convenient to use on the sofa or to carry around anywhere you wish to go.
I find those that required the 12.9 iPad Pro (or needed it for artist creation/visual arts) the iPad mini 6 benefited them the most, or for Mac users that didn’t have an iPad. use case you’ve mentioned it perfect.

Both myself and my wife have had new minis each since Christmas Day…and we both love them. I can easily see the mini taking over from my 11” iPad Pro for 80/90% of the time.

I don’t notice any ‘jelly Scroll’ whatsoever which is something that did concern me prior to getting the mini but now it’s totally a non issue for me which just enhances my use of it either further ?

As an additional bonus I used it as the screen whilst flying my Dji Mini 2 drone yesterday for the first time and it was excellent…I think this iPad mini is rapidly becoming a favourite device for me ??
Glad you and the Mrs love your iPad minis. I’m surprised the 11” iPad Pro gets less use. That said drone control on that would be a LOT more comfortable than the 11” held in your hands for 24-35mins drone battery use, and the iPad Mini 6 is much better for details shown while drone control than an iPhone.
I tried to love it, but in the end my eyesight just couldn’t handle the screen size…decided to run to the other end of the spectrum and splurge on a 12.9 M1 iPad pro
Your eyesight didn’t like the screen size or the smaller font on such a screen of the iPad mini 6, or jelly bothered you? 12.9 M1 iPad Pro is a BIG device, like really big.

DeepSix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2022

Jelly roll is a great feature on the mini 6, It really enhanced the viewing experience. Most just don’t know how to take advantage of this feature since no other device has it. I’m missing that feature on the pros. I look forward to seeing Apple carry over jelly roll to the future iPads.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Jelly roll is a great feature on the mini 6, It really enhanced the viewing experience. Most just don’t know how to take advantage of this feature since no other device has it. I’m missing that feature on the pros. I look forward to seeing Apple carry over jelly roll to the future iPads.
I gave my mini 6 to my wife because I found it just too small to read on it comfortably for long periods of time. Just me and my inferior eyes but I didn’t mind the jelly scroll - I sure missed the 120hz of the iPP11 and the size of the words on the 11’ screen. When I used the mini 6 most of what I did was in landscape mode so I didn’t notice it as much for that reason (cuz I rarely used it in portrait mode).

Me and my indecisiveness. Back to an iPP11 for me. :p My wife has been wanting a mini for awhile so we’ll see what she says (as a fellow iPP11 user) - I’m interested to see if she notices the scrolling. I’ll let you know when she sets it up. :)

DeepSix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2022
I gave my mini 6 to my wife because I found it just too small to read on it comfortably for long periods of time. Just me and my inferior eyes but I didn’t mind the jelly scroll - I sure missed the 120hz of the iPP11 and the size of the words on the 11’ screen. When I used the mini 6 most of what I did was in landscape mode so I didn’t notice it as much for that reason (cuz I rarely used it in portrait mode).

Me and my indecisiveness. Back to an iPP11 for me. :p My wife has been wanting a mini for awhile so we’ll see what she says (as a fellow iPP11 user) - I’m interested to see if she notices the scrolling. I’ll let you know when she sets it up. :)

Mini 6 was only 35% or so larger than my phone and I too found the text to be too small on some sites. I couldn’t get over the poor scaling and I wasn’t willing to wait for Apple to possibly fix it. The Pro 11 is far superior and it’s not even close. I wish I had just got the Pro 11 in the first place and not fall for all the hype on the mini 6. Wives love the mini because it’s cute and fits in their purse. iPad Pro 11 is just as portable as the mini 6 and is much easier on the eyes. I think it’s the best size for iPads too, 12.9 is just too big to bring everywhere.

MacMandy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2006
Manchester, UK
Mini 6 was only 35% or so larger than my phone and I too found the text to be too small on some sites. I couldn’t get over the poor scaling and I wasn’t willing to wait for Apple to possibly fix it. The Pro 11 is far superior and it’s not even close. I wish I had just got the Pro 11 in the first place and not fall for all the hype on the mini 6. Wives love the mini because it’s cute and fits in their purse. iPad Pro 11 is just as portable as the mini 6 and is much easier on the eyes. I think it’s the best size for iPads too, 12.9 is just too big to bring everywhere.
Wives? ?

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
Wives and me, I guess. I'm a male who has fallen head over heels for his iPad mini 6 and will never give it up until the iPad mini 7 is launched. Conversely, my wife doesn't even like iPads and much prefers her iPhone and Mac for most tasks.
I stopped using my 2020 iPad Pro and just carry around my iPad mini 6. The size makes all the difference. I wish the iPad Pro could replace my portable Mac (now an M1 MacBook Air) but that just isn't happening.

F-Stop

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2011
The 'Sunny' South Coast UK
Was it difficult controlling your drone on the iPhone 13 mini?
In a word, yes! But using my iPad mini with my controller has allowed me to comfortably use the screen to see exactly what and where my drone is and it’s camera view. Don’t think I could ever go back to using a phone ever again. However, the rumoured new smart controller with built in screen looks very interesting…but, for now, it’s just a rumour lol :oops: ;)

Reactions: DeepIn2U

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
In a word, yes! But using my iPad mini with my controller has allowed me to comfortably use the screen to see exactly what and where my drone is and it’s camera view. Don’t think I could ever go back to using a phone ever again. However, the rumoured new smart controller with built in screen looks very interesting…but, for now, it’s just a rumour lol :oops: ;)
I'm of the same attitude for reading and web browsing. I think the iPhone will always be my default go anywhere do anything computer, and I love that these Max models have been about the size of one side of a paperback. But they are just NOT as fun to read or browse on as the iPad mini.

For me, the appeal of an iPad, especially the newest mini model, is having a sort of 21st century version of a hardback book. It folds up like a book, it's handled like a book, it's carried around like a book, and it's shaped like a piece of paper. The appeal of that doesn't stop at reading books or the News app. I find that it makes all tasks more engaging, even on the smallest or most basic iPad models. It's one of those intangibles I find to be present on almost all Apple devices. Doing certain things on an iPad, no matter which model you prefer, just feels........like the correct way to do them. For example, I don't think I can ever do graphic design on a Mac now that I know how to do it with an Apple Pencil. The iPad mini isn't great for that, but I'm not a pro graphic designer either. I just do very small projects here and there, and would not want to do any of them ever again with a keyboard and mouse.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I'm of the same attitude for reading and web browsing. I think the iPhone will always be my default go anywhere do anything computer, and I love that these Max models have been about the size of one side of a paperback. But they are just NOT as fun to read or browse on as the iPad mini.

For me, it's not about fun but about comfort. I used to read fine on 3.5" iPhones but my eyesight just isn't the same as it was back then.

For me, the appeal of an iPad, especially the newest mini model, is having a sort of 21st century version of a hardback book. It folds up like a book, it's handled like a book, it's carried around like a book, and it's shaped like a piece of paper.

Lol, I prefer the 10-11" iPads for reading since they're like an open book (2 column/page mode).

The appeal of that doesn't stop at reading books or the News app. I find that it makes all tasks more engaging, even on the smallest or most basic iPad models. It's one of those intangibles I find to be present on almost all Apple devices. Doing certain things on an iPad, no matter which model you prefer, just feels........like the correct way to do them. For example, I don't think I can ever do graphic design on a Mac now that I know how to do it with an Apple Pencil. The iPad mini isn't great for that, but I'm not a pro graphic designer either. I just do very small projects here and there, and would not want to do any of them ever again with a keyboard and mouse.

Agreed. For me, the iPad feels less like a computer and more like a highly functional web appliance. That simplicity is something I appreciate (at least when I'm not working).

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Agreed. For me, the iPad feels less like a computer and more like a highly functional web appliance. That simplicity is something I appreciate (at least when I'm not working).

iPads are an appliance, especialy in the way they manage power and battery. Its an always on device. I love my Surface Pro 8, but its still a PC, with all it's downsides - when its on, the battery drains quicker than an iPad does, it has a fan, etc. iPads seem to use only slightly more power when you are using it, no fan, its a true "grab and go" device. PC based tablets seem to take more work to use, though I appreciate their flexibility in being able to run almost every software package on earth.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
iPads are an appliance, especialy in the way they manage power and battery. Its an always on device. I love my Surface Pro 8, but its still a PC, with all it's downsides - when its on, the battery drains quicker than an iPad does, it has a fan, etc. iPads seem to use only slightly more power when you are using it, no fan, its a true "grab and go" device. PC based tablets seem to take more work to use, though I appreciate their flexibility in being able to run almost every software package on earth.

I've yet to find a PC tablet I like. Feels like you're getting a mediocre tablet and mediocre laptop.

I'm happier using iPad plus separate laptop (ThinkPad X1 Nano for travel/portability and ThinkPad E15 Ryzen for working). Now if only I could get something like the LG gram 17 with 2560x1600 matte display, ThinkPad keyboard and USB-C charging.

Last edited:

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
For me, it's not about fun but about comfort. I used to read fine on 3.5" iPhones but my eyesight just isn't the same as it was back then.

Lol, I prefer the 10-11" iPads for reading since they're like an open book (2 column/page mode).

I hear you--I myself wear progressive lens glasses these days as my reading distance seems to deteriorate a little bit more each year. It hasn't caused me any issues yet on the mini 6, but I expect that someday it will and at that point I'll move up to the next option. For reading, I do use it sometimes like a small open book, and I ALWAYS did it that way on my bigger iPads, but it makes for a lot more page flipping because I need the font to be a little bigger than usual.

Sometimes though, it's just so nice to hold the mini in portrait for reading, depending on how/where I'm sitting. I enjoyed that on the 11" Pro too, but it feels different on the mini for some reason. I can't really explain why.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I've yet to find a PC tablet I like. Feels like you're getting a mediocre tablet and mediocre laptop.

I'm happier using iPad plus separate laptop (ThinkPad X1 Nano for travel/portability and ThinkPad E15 Ryzen for working). Now if only I could get something like the LG gram 17 with 2560x1600 matte display, ThinkPad keyboard and USB-C charging.

The SP 8 took a long stride forward. A maxed out SP8 is quad i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB drive. It has a 120hz screen and Thunderbolt 4. And they elminated the large bezels and no more throttling. Hardly mediocre anymore.

Reactions: sparksd

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
The SP 8 took a long stride forward. A maxed out SP8 is quad i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB drive. It has a 120hz screen and Thunderbolt 4. And they elminated the large bezels and no more throttling. Hardly mediocre anymore.

It's not just the raw performance but usability. Never been a fan of kickstand tablet + separate keyboard when using on the lap.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
It's not just the raw performance but usability. Never been a fan of kickstand tablet + separate keyboard when using on the lap.

I never use my Surface Pro 7 (or any laptop) on my lap but your observation is right on; the same applies to the Logitech Combo Touch I use at times with my 12.9 Pro. For that, you need a hinge with good rigidity.

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
For me the iPad mini is probably the most perfect tablet size, it’s portable, easy to carry with you wherever you go and most of all it’s not trying to be something that it isn’t (ie a laptop).

It compliments your other devices really well and overall, I am very happy with the device.

Only changes I would make is having 128gb base storage, Face ID, 120hz, higher nit brightness, and a silver colour option, but none of them are deal breakers for me, and will certainly drive up the pricing.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021

I like the Surface Pro, but it’s all glued together and not built for servicing, with a fan inside I’m not sure about that. But it’s like these handheld gaming PC’s coming out, everyone is wooing over them and great for them, however Windows on a 7” screen is laughable, the device can only literally be used for PC games and even then some of them are made for bigger screens, because the text is so small.
If you look at the Nintendo Switch it’s built as a handheld device from the off with a UI to match and games built for it and its screen size.
I guess it’s a case of making something into something it wasn’t meant to be, and a custom designed system for the same task.
that leads me back to the Surface Pro models as I’ve seen and played around with them, and thought the same that Windows looks tiny on its screen size. It wasn’t built to run on screen sizes like that, where as an iPad is custom made for the job as are all the apps. I know you can use scaling etc in Windows but does that always work?

Anyway in reference to the iPad, I’d rather have the iPad Mini over one of these handheld gaming PCs anyway, because the iPad is built for the size and job as are the apps on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.