Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I don’t know if it’s worth it for the screen size. It’s already “retina” so theoretically your eyes shouldn’t be able to tell the difference if it had more pixels (unless you put your face up to it). It will only eat up more batteries unnecessarily and as AutomaticApple mentioned, it will probably drive up the price.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I highly doubt you would be able to tell the difference between the current resolution and 4K from a normal viewing distance.

Depends what normal viewing distance is.

Something text heavy, I find the lines are just a tiny bit cleaner on the 326 ppi iPad mini. Granted, I tend to hold all iPads at the same 1-1.5 ft distance.

With the iPad on a desk at 2-4 ft viewing distance, I can't tell the difference between 264 ppi and 326 ppi.

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
Depends what normal viewing distance is.

Something text heavy, I find the lines are just a tiny bit cleaner on the 326 ppi iPad mini. Granted, I tend to hold all iPads at the same 1-1.5 ft distance.

With the iPad on a desk at 2-4 ft viewing distance, I can't tell the difference between 264 ppi and 326 ppi.
Ooooh that’s a fair point, I did always notice and love the iPad mini’s extra 60 ppi. Maybe it’s just everything after that wouldn’t be noticeable! :p

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
There has honestly never been a time when I had complaints or thought the screen on my 2018 12.9 didn’t look amazing. I can only imagine how good the miniLED display will now look. I’m not saying 4K isn’t worth it, but at a certain point, there’s just such diminishing returns just to say a product has a certain feature (ahem…Android).

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Ooooh that’s a fair point, I did always notice and love the iPad mini’s extra 60 ppi. Maybe it’s just everything after that wouldn’t be noticeable! :p

Yeah. I'd like 326 ppi, as well.

With that said, I primarily use my iPads with just the onscreen keyboard. I would hate it if Apple switched to 16:9 4K. That would make both the display area and keyboard more cramped when the OSK is visible.

muimui

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2021
And yet 400+ ppi is just common for iPhones?

Pro max ppi is 458, it makes sense that Apple considers this ppi is great with reading distance from phone or tablet, then ipad pro should match this ppi. Would ipad pro becomes 4k or higher with 458 ppi?

acorntoy

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2010
Pro max ppi is 458, it makes sense that Apple considers this ppi is great with reading distance from phone or tablet, then ipad pro should match this ppi. Would ipad pro becomes 4k or higher with 458 ppi?
Apple considers it fine for a phone, but as Apple explained when the original retina iPad came out you hold tablets farther from your face so it needs less ppi to become retina. Apple doesn’t add 4K to the tablet because most people hold it far away the current resolution is beyond acceptable and it would degrade the battery life.

Are you seeing pixels? If not an upgrade to 4K wouldn’t be helpful to you.

Reactions: BlindBandit

acorntoy

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2010
Is there a 4k tv that is smaller than 39”?
There actually is (one)

In this case however you wouldn’t buy it because it’s 4K but because it’s the only 32’ to display a wide color gamut for HDR.

Last edited:

muimui

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2021
Apple considers it fine for a phone, but as Apple explained when the original retina iPad came out you hold tablets farther from your face so it needs less ppi to become retina. Apple doesn’t add 4K to the tablet because most people hold it far away the current resolution is beyond acceptable and it would degrade the battery life.

Are you seeing pixels? If not an upgrade to 4K wouldn’t be helpful to you.

I always see people hold phone or tablet with around same distance. Apple just wants to earn more and not put an even better screen for ipad pro because there is just no competition.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.