Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
So the iPhone can handle an extremely high ppi but the iPad's battery is too small? Riiight....
The 4098x3072 that you're asking for is 125% more than the current iPad Pro 12.9" and a 249% more than the iPhone Pro Max (due to how much smaller the iPhone Pro Max screen is vs the large iPad Pro) which is not as insignificant of an increase in pixels as you suggest.

Just pointing out the math mind you, I'm not against an increase in resolution as long as it doesn't come with a significant drop in battery life, particularly given how variable standby battery life can be for users depending on how their iPads are set up.

Reactions: Digitalguy

ric22

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2022
The 4098x3072 that you're asking for is 125% more than the current iPad Pro 12.9" and a 249% more than the iPhone Pro Max (due to how much smaller the iPhone Pro Max screen is vs the large iPad Pro) which is not as insignificant of an increase in pixels as you suggest.

Just pointing out the math mind you, I'm not against an increase in resolution as long as it doesn't come with a significant drop in battery life, particularly given how variable standby battery life can be for users depending on how their iPads are set up.
An OLED screen should require lower power than the various LED screens we have had since the iPad 3... 12 years ago... in which time resolution has remained the same. It should be doable, and it's not like the M3 isn't handily capable of driving it.

Luckily, the iPad Pro 12.9's battery is also almost 249% bigger than the iPhone Pro Max battery, for what that's worth, so pixel counts and battery capacity match up fairly nicely.

Edit: I also never suggested it was an insignificant increase in pixels, because it clearly isn't. You fabricated that bit.

Last edited:

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
An OLED screen should require lower power than the various LED screens we have had since the iPad 3... 12 years ago... in which time resolution has remained the same. It should be doable, and it's not like the M3 isn't handily capable of driving it.

Luckily, the iPad Pro 12.9's battery is also almost 249% bigger than the iPhone Pro Max battery, for what that's worth, so pixel counts and battery capacity match up fairly nicely.

Edit: I also never suggested it was an insignificant increase in pixels, because it clearly isn't. You fabricated that bit.
I meant to say that the affect on battery isn't insignificant. I would love to see double the pixel count of current ipad pros without a hit on battery life just as much as you would but I am not as optimistic as you are that on average the OLED displays and CPU upgrade will make up the difference between what you suggest and the current iPad Pro specs. I suppose it didn't occur to me that you are also suggesting that reduced battery life is an acceptable trade off, fair.

Reactions: ric22

ric22

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2022
I meant to say that the affect on battery isn't insignificant. I would love to see double the pixel count of current ipad pros without a hit on battery life just as much as you would but I am not as optimistic as you are that on average the OLED displays and CPU upgrade will make up the difference between what you suggest and the current iPad Pro specs. I suppose it didn't occur to me that you are also suggesting that reduced battery life is an acceptable trade off, fair.
👍🏼 I suppose it depends how heavy the hit to battery life is, once using the M3 and OLED. I'd sacrifice 10%, but I wouldn't want to sacrifice more. With the new tech they could certainly bump the resolution somewhat without a battery hit, but maybe not to 4K levels.

Reactions: muzzy996

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Except when using them in bed. Pretty similar distance then. Maybe 2 inch difference?
So Apple should care about those who use their 13" iPad pro in bed at a similar distance as their phone enough to give anyone else a significant drop in battery life compared to what it could be by keeping the resolution the same.

Past a certain PPI for a certain screen size it's diminishing returns and even placebo effect sometimes...
That's also why Apple does not make the 16" MacBook pro 4k (let alone the 14") just for a few resolutions junkies who would feel better with a 4k display. They have found a very good balance with MacBooks and iPads and that's also why competitors making high end tablets like Samsung and Microsoft have copied them instead of trying to "overtake" them with 4k resolutions or higher.

ric22

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2022
So Apple should care about those who use their 13" iPad pro in bed at a similar distance as their phone enough to give anyone else a significant drop in battery life compared to what it could be by keeping the resolution the same.

Past a certain PPI for a certain screen size it's diminishing returns and even placebo effect sometimes...
That's also why Apple does not make the 16" MacBook pro 4k (let alone the 14") just for a few resolutions junkies who would feel better with a 4k display. They have found a very good balance with MacBooks and iPads and that's also why competitors making high end tablets like Samsung and Microsoft have copied them instead of trying to "overtake" them with 4k resolutions or higher.
You sound a little bit angry about this topic. Technically the iPhones probably didn't need the PPI bump, but they did give us that and it didn't hurt the battery life as OLED batteries are so much more efficient, while the CPU and GPU has also come on leaps and bounds in efficiency.

Also, why would you think I was only talking exclusively about the iPad Pro 12.9"? I would bet good money that more iPads worldwide are regularly used for consumption in bed than are used for work purposes! If an individual has the disposable income to do it it makes sense they'd buy the best one too. Personally I still have better than 20-20 vision, despite my age, and would somewhat benefit from slightly higher PPI on devices like iPads, which aren't viewed from the same distance as a laptop.

TokyoKiller

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2023
Honestly it is so expensive. It should have at least 4k or higher specs right?

Please explain the case use for 4K resolution on an 11' or 12.9' display. It would just be an upgrade that allows them to brag about specs wise and one that would degrade the user experience from a battery life and cost perspective.

Samsung and the likes know how to throw in higher resolutions to edge out Apple yet Apple seems to always be able to outsell them with "lower specs", hint hint better specs isn't always better.

Reactions: Digitalguy

ric22

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2022
Please explain the case use for 4K resolution on an 11' or 12.9' display. It would just be an upgrade that allows them to brag about specs wise and one that would degrade the user experience from a battery life and cost perspective.

Samsung and the likes know how to throw in higher resolutions to edge out Apple yet Apple seems to always be able to outsell them with "lower specs", hint hint better specs isn't always better.
If they really raise prices by $700 as they're apparently threatening, they'll need to 'justify' it somehow... 😅

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019

fortunately Samsung is not that dumb and justs aligns with Apple, but some Windows OEMs have been stupid enough to put 4k on a 12" laptop (didn't work out well...)

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
You sound a little bit angry about this topic. Technically the iPhones probably didn't need the PPI bump, but they did give us that and it didn't hurt the battery life as OLED batteries are so much more efficient, while the CPU and GPU has also come on leaps and bounds in efficiency.

Also, why would you think I was only talking exclusively about the iPad Pro 12.9"? I would bet good money that more iPads worldwide are regularly used for consumption in bed than are used for work purposes! If an individual has the disposable income to do it it makes sense they'd buy the best one too. Personally I still have better than 20-20 vision, despite my age, and would somewhat benefit from slightly higher PPI on devices like iPads, which aren't viewed from the same distance as a laptop.
I assumed since 4k on the 11" makes even less sense...

ric22

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2022
fortunately Samsung is not that dumb and justs aligns with Apple, but some Windows OEMs have been stupid enough to put 4k on a 12" laptop (didn't work out well...)
With crappier processors and lower quality screens...

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
With crappier processors and lower quality screens...
that sounds very much fanboy talk, but are we surprised on an Apple centric forum?
Anyway that's the best processors that are available to them for now (things should be changing next years with Oryon), lower quality screen not really, often higher quality screen actually. And they also make up with value for money with things like including the stylus and often also offering the keyboard on launch. Plus storage expansion via microsd and more RAM.
But I am not here to praise Samsung when I use iPads as much as Samsung tablets.
Just to correct some biased statements.

ric22

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2022
that sounds very much fanboy talk, but are we surprised on an Apple centric forum?
Rather than dig me out, perhaps show me the tablets with better processors than the M2? Oh, wait, you can't. 🤦‍♂️ Flaming fail.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Rather than dig me out, perhaps show me the tablets with better processors than the M2? Oh, wait, you can't. 🤦‍♂️ Flaming fail.
again fanboy attitude...
where did I talk about better processors? Nowhere, I just said they use the best available to them...

ric22

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2022
again fanboy attitude...
where did I talk about better processors? Nowhere, I just said they use the best available to them...
You said I was a fanboy for my comment. I pointed out that Apple use better processors and generally better screens. I recently lived in China for a few years, and saw more low quality his-resolution screens than most people on these boards will have.

Regarding being an iPad or Apple fan- I wouldn't even buy another iPad until they sort of software out, regardless of the hardware they provide. You can also check out my posting history if you doubt I'm generally critical of Apple rather than gushing and defensive on their behalf.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
You said I was a fanboy for my comment. I pointed out that Apple use better processors and generally better screens. I recently lived in China for a few years, and saw more low quality his-resolution screens than most people on these boards will have.

Regarding being an iPad or Apple fan- I wouldn't even buy another iPad until they sort of software out, regardless of the hardware they provide. You can also check out my posting history if you doubt I'm generally critical of Apple rather than gushing and defensive on their behalf.
I don't have time for that, I am just talking about dismissing a slower (but still fast) processor as "crappier" for no reason and Samsung displays as lower quality (without any argument by the way), when in my comment I just said that Samsung uses the best processors available to them and does not "throw in higher resolutions to edge out Apple" and instead aligns with Apple, which hits a sweet spot. Your subsequent comments went in the same fanboy direction. The dismissive attidute with little or no argument instead of a constructive interaction is what I am talking about. Whether you are a fanboy in the rest of your interactions or not, I don't know and honestly have better things to do than check it.
And by the way Samsung is not Chinese.

ric22

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2022
I don't have time for that, I am just talking about dismissing a slower (but still fast) processor as "crappier" for no reason and Samsung displays as lower quality (without any argument by the way), when in my comment I just said that Samsung uses the best processors available to them and does not "throw in higher resolutions to edge out Apple" and instead aligns with Apple, which hits a sweet spot. Your subsequent comments went in the same fanboy direction. The dismissive attidute with little or no argument instead of a constructive interaction is what I am talking about. Whether you are a fanboy in the rest of your interactions or not, I don't know and honestly have better things to do than check it.
And by the way Samsung is not Chinese.
🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ I didn't bring up Samsung displays- you did. I was generalising about the industry in general. I've never even seen or held a Samsung tablet! Don't put words in people's mouths or switch around arguments to the expect it looks you you're incapable of paying any attention.

While I'll agree using "crappier" as opposed to "inferior" was a bit mean, the point remains. You're dead set starting an argument, regardless of what is said. It is embarrassing.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ I didn't bring up Samsung displays- you did. I was generalising about the industry in general. I've never even seen or held a Samsung tablet! Don't put words in people's mouths or switch around arguments to the expect it looks you you're incapable of paying any attention.

While I'll agree using "crappier" as opposed to "inferior" was a bit mean, the point remains. You're dead set starting an argument, regardless of what is said. It is embarrassing.
Putting "words in people's mouths or switch around arguments" is exactly what you did, but those interested (if any) will be able to judge based on previous messages. And your attitude continues to be the same if not worse, talk of being embarassing. I have said what I had to say in this thread

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.