Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Another issue (at least mine anyway) is trust. Aside from a certain segment of the public, most people do not trust Amtrak. When Amtrak wrecks out it makes the news and it's usually pretty horrible. But, AFAIK, Amtrak is the only passenger carrying train line in America so if you want to travel coast to coast its Amtrak.

Other accidents like the train operator that was busy with their phone and took a curve at high speed does not speak well to public trust. People tend to suffer the 'dangers' of air travel because domestic flights are 6 hours or less. The public won't suffer that with trains that take much longer to get places. Add in high speeds and this is (to me) in large part why only train enthusiasts and people with a lot of time to kill take the train.
The only real problem I've had with Amtrak is the price. The most recent trip I took was in 1995 going from Philadelphia to New York City. The cost was about four times the cost of the SEPTA/New Jersey Transit trip, but the SEPTA train would always arrive 10 minutes late, so you'd have to wait for the next connector to NYC.

Back in the 1960s, we used Pennsylvania RR passenger trains for longer trips. There were many passengers at the train depot and the depot was quite nice in those days.

The only time a train accident affected me was on the line to and from work, where one of the trains derailed after I disembarked in Philadelphia.

Reactions: eyoungren

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
In the early to mid-90s I used to visit my cousins in the Bay Area (California). At some point they were forced to move because BART wanted to drop in a station and track exactly where their house was.

One of the times I was up there I took BART into SF and back (Concord, CA) just for the experience. It's not the 90s anymore though and a lot of what I hear about the BART now isn't good.
Certain BART stops are more interesting than others, but I've never even seen trouble going from Dublin to San Fran. Caltrain from San Jose to San Fran can also be interesting. When I was researching bike locks, people said not to get a certain lock because some can leave the train, break the lock, and pull the bike onto the train and leave with it at another stop.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
The only real problem I've had with Amtrak is the price. The most recent trip I took was in 1995 going from Philadelphia to New York City. The cost was about four times the cost of the SEPTA/New Jersey Transit trip, but the SEPTA train would always arrive 10 minutes late, so you'd have to wait for the next connector to NYC.

Back in the 1960s, we used Pennsylvania RR passenger trains for longer trips. There were many passengers at the train depot and the depot was quite nice in those days.

The only time a train accident affected me was on the line to and from work, where one of the trains derailed after I disembarked in Philadelphia.
My parents took a few trips on Amtrak during their retirement and suggested it as good travel to me. Unfortunately, all the routes I checked from Phoenix to California would have me end up in Los Angeles. LA is an hour and a half without traffic from my parents house. Ontario International is 45 minutes and you can get a less than one hour flight from Sky Harbor.

I mean, if I had time to kill and wasn't inconveniencing people I'd try it. But driving even beats flight because I go direct to my parents house - even though the drive is longer. I still have my car there to get around.

Reactions: bousozoku

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
My parents took a few trips on Amtrak during their retirement and suggested it as good travel to me. Unfortunately, all the routes I checked from Phoenix to California would have me end up in Los Angeles. LA is an hour and a half without traffic from my parents house. Ontario International is 45 minutes and you can get a less than one hour flight from Sky Harbor.

I mean, if I had time to kill and wasn't inconveniencing people I'd try it. But driving even beats flight because I go direct to my parents house - even though the drive is longer. I still have my car there to get around.
There is probably a Metrorail route to somewhere near Ontario but it probably takes a while. Driving around Los Angeles or Phoenix are nightmares I don't need any longer. There could have been more direct tracks but they were probably pulled when air freight became a thing. I've seen a lot of sets of tracks pulled since the 1970s.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
There is probably a Metrorail route to somewhere near Ontario but it probably takes a while. Driving around Los Angeles or Phoenix are nightmares I don't need any longer. There could have been more direct tracks but they were probably pulled when air freight became a thing. I've seen a lot of sets of tracks pulled since the 1970s.
BNSW has a spur that runs parallel to HW60 (Grand Ave). The bane of every driver whenever they have to cross Grand and a train is going through.

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004
I have notice more people in Canada take public transit but in the US out side of say New York, Chicago, Baltimore, Philadelphia and may be San Francisco and LA proper the US is more car culture country than say Canada.

I“m thinking race, demographics are different in Canada vs the US in the 50s, 60s and 70s being more people from Europe also wealth may be part where the US has a stronger middle class than say Canada in the 50s, 60s and 70s. Also I hear Canada had higher immigration in the 40s, 50s, 60s and 70s than the US.

Also Canadian cities and suburbs are normally more dense than the US cities and suburbs. I’m thinking higher density means the city can spend more on public transit and have better service.
Step one: is the claim EVEN CORRECT?
Answer: probably not, unless you start bobbing and weaving about exactly what you mean.

The numbers are easy to find:

So look at Table 5 and Table 4.
However you try to slice it, I don't see a major difference. The ONE big difference is if you insist on comparing buses in Canada vs the US because Canada has basically zero light rail whereas the US has a pretty large fraction of light rail relative to buses.
This is old data, but I don't see anything much different in newer data, just that it's not in as convenient a format.

So why do you even believe this? I'm guessing the usual answer for most of human nonsense – the availability heuristic. You model Canada as three cities that do what you want (Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver account for 70% of Canada's public transit trips) and ignore the rest, like Edmonton. This would be like looking at NYC, SF and Boston and assuming the rest of the country is like them.

BTW, another side fact is that in both the US AND Canada a substantial fraction of real public transit is on-demand, and while present in the stats, is not present in user perceptions. In the US, for example, this sort of on-demand bussing is huge in rural areas.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
I have notice more people in Canada take public transit but in the US out side of say New York, Chicago, Baltimore, Philadelphia and may be San Francisco and LA proper the US is more car culture country than say Canada.

I“m thinking race, demographics are different in Canada vs the US in the 50s, 60s and 70s being more people from Europe also wealth may be part where the US has a stronger middle class than say Canada in the 50s, 60s and 70s. Also I hear Canada had higher immigration in the 40s, 50s, 60s and 70s than the US.

Also Canadian cities and suburbs are normally more dense than the US cities and suburbs. I’m thinking higher density means the city can spend more on public transit and have better service.
Canadians outside of the cities do drive cars like US Americans, probably because Canada is a very large country. You can see this all along the ALCAN or Alaska Highway. I don't think Canada is much different that the US in relation to city transit systems and so on.
This is Toronto alone:

That aside, the Canadian landscape is quite beautiful (great wild expanses of land), and the Northern regions quite similar to Alaska. Lots of wildlife of numerous kinds too. The people are nothing but great (friendly, helpful, and so on), but I remember that in the '80s the people in Quebec weren't very friendly toward the English language, altrhopugh it didn't bother me whatsoever. I got along great with the Canucks I met in those years :)

Last edited:

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
BNSW has a spur that runs parallel to HW60 (Grand Ave). The bane of every driver whenever they have to cross Grand and a train is going through.
I can understand that. I lived in a town with eight sets of tracks across the east side of town. They split at the edge of the town, but when you wanted to cross with a train there, you either had to go to the overpass toward the center of town or use a dangerous bridge that was later demolished.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Canadians outside of the cities do drive cars like US Americans, probably because Canada is a very large country. You can see this all along the ALCAN or Alaska Highway. I don't think Canada is much different that the US in relation to city transit systems and so on.
I wonder if anyone in Windsor, ON takes public transportation given that they've been making money in the auto factories for years. Then again, they could be like the factories in Ohio--closed.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
You can't do that in Phoenix, AZ (which last I checked is still part of America). The bus system here does not run 24/7 and you have to pay.
It is the same in NY. You have to pay for bus and Subway rides. The same for trains all the way to Canada. Even drivers have to pay road and bridge toll :)

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
This can help explain the problem:

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
I wonder if anyone in Windsor, ON takes public transportation given that they've been making money in the auto factories for years. Then again, they could be like the factories in Ohio--closed.
The reason for using public transportation in NY (I lived there in the '70s, and visited numerous times after) was for convenience. Parking in Manhattan, for example, can be quite troublesome and expensive. So the working class, at least back then, would take the Subway and busses on their way to work and then back home. A person working in Manhattan would have to pay a small fortune for parking at a private lot.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
The reason for using public transportation in NY (I lived there in the '70s, and visited numerous times after) was for convenience. Parking in Manhattan, for example, can be quite troublesome and expensive. So the working class, at least back then, would take the Subway and busses on their way to work and then back home. A person working in Manhattan would have to pay a small fortune for parking at a private lot.
I drove from Philly to Queensborough for some specialty computer enhancement back in the 1990s. It was such a difference there that I could park my car in front of the technician's house, walk to a Greek restaurant to eat, have my hair cut, and walk back to the house. It was almost like being in Philly.

I took Amtrak into Penn Station when I didn't want to drive. Someone I knew was out in Babylon, an hour LIRR ride but we met at Penn Station and I got the walking tour through Macy's and beyond. I think we walked from 34th to 79th and returned to Grand Central Station and took the downtown train to NYU/Christopher St. I was surprised at how clean it was. Philly's trains always seem to have a coating of ick, no matter how much they clean.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
... However, getting from San Francisco to Los Angeles by train requires taking a bus from Bakersfield right now, as Amtrak doesn't go the full trip.

no need to go to Bakersfield....you can catch Amtrak's Coast Starlight train in either Oakland or San Jose and take the train all the way to Los Angeles. Yes it doesn't literally go through San Francisco......just take the BART train to Oakland

Last edited:

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
I drove from Philly to Queensborough for some specialty computer enhancement back in the 1990s. It was such a difference there that I could park my car in front of the technician's house, walk to a Greek restaurant to eat, have my hair cut, and walk back to the house. It was almost like being in Philly.

I took Amtrak into Penn Station when I didn't want to drive. Someone I knew was out in Babylon, an hour LIRR ride but we met at Penn Station and I got the walking tour through Macy's and beyond. I think we walked from 34th to 79th and returned to Grand Central Station and took the downtown train to NYU/Christopher St. I was surprised at how clean it was. Philly's trains always seem to have a coating of ick, no matter how much they clean.
Back in '70s & '80s when I rode Amtrak back and forth between Canada and Penn Station, everything was kept well-maintained and clean. One of the cars was setup as a snack bar (something like that) where one could buy light foods and refreshments (?). It was cheaper and much comfortable to ride Amtrak than driving and the struggles of parking in Manhattan. I have never ridden the trains in Philly, but rode the Subway quite a lot on my way to work and back home. The Subway rides were the opposite of Amtrak: loud, unpleasantly smelly and unclean, crammed with people, and often unsafe at night.

Plus, you are getting a Buc-ee's, so 😛

Buc-ee’s®. The Wal-Mart of gas stops without any of the heart, soul, or quirk™. :rolleyes:

Such a far cry from the small gas stops where you could walk to the back of the shop, order a po’ boy, some hush puppies, or maybe some house-made barbecue, grab a drink, and pay for it at the front to eat in your car — or, just stay in the back and enjoy it at one of the two or three gingham pattern-clad formica tables as a window aircon unit, cut into a hole near the ceiling, blasts cold air down onto you.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Buc-ee’s®. The Wal-Mart of gas stops without any of the heart, soul, or quirk™. :rolleyes:

Such a far cry from the small gas stops where you could walk to the back of the shop, order a po’ boy, some hush puppies, or maybe some house-made barbecue, grab a drink, and pay for it at the front to eat in your car — or, just stay in the back and enjoy it at one of the two or three gingham pattern-clad formica tables as a window aircon unit, cut into a hole near the ceiling, blasts cold air down onto you.
Oh boy, that's a glowing recommendation if I ever visit the US. ;) I had to look them up, I did read that they are praised for the cleanliness of their bathrooms. Not sure if it makes up for the rest though.

I will say that the best gas stations in Europe I saw were in Italy as it had a pretty decent restaurant and a nice shop with souvenirs and a similar one in Greece. The bathrooms were ok - you had to pay to use them.

Oh boy, that's a glowing recommendation if I ever visit the US. ;) I had to look them up, I did read that they are praised for the cleanliness of their bathrooms. Not sure if it makes up for the rest though.

I went into a Buc-ee’s on a visit to Texas in 2014. Fortunately, I was there at about 3:30a on a weeknight.

The first thing I noticed was the sheer, bland brownness of everything in there. The next thing I noticed, coming in from that entrance, was a bunch of cheap wearable swag adorned with not even half-amusing quips about hunting and driving and idr what else, except… whyyy, I implored to myself. Not even local stuff. Just mass-produced garbage cheaply made and with the blandest, lowest-effort attempts at being amusing, but failing.

What I was hoping to find was anything novel one doesn’t see in convenience or grocery shops very often anymore — things like bottled sodas from the last remaining, independent drink makers, or maybe those vintage clove and blackjack (licorice) chewing gums. Or Choward’s violet mints. Or something interesting. And if none of that, then maybe some locally-made treat or snack, home-packaged or whatnot.

No on all fronts.

I walked toward the back, where they had remainder prepared food under heat lamps from probably earlier in the day, next to a wide row of slushy-icee-slurpee-styled machines with all manner of flavours. Nothing novel. I mostly remember hot dogs, nachos, and maybe withered burritos.

Then, by happenstance, the streaming music feed coming in started playing Pablo Cruise’s “Love Will Find a Way”, which was the high point of the visit. Lastly, also remembering the thing about the washrooms (which were nearby the slushy machines and prepped food area, conveniently enough), I went in to look. They were tan-brown and clean. That was about the only positive thing I could find to be true-to-form.

I left, having spent, like, 20 minutes dawdling around, with a couple of co-workers briefly taking notice of me and maybe one or two other people looking around. I think one was doing the floors with one of those self-propelled floor cleaners. I left having spent nothing (I was hoping to leave with anything worth piquing my interest or taste buds.

My take on Buc-ee’s was it was a decidedly overwrought, repressed, soul-crushing Texan vision — a very particular Texan vision, certainly not representative of other aspects of the state — lacking all manner of imagination or character. [And before folks roll up in my replies to gripe, I was born and raised in that very part of Texas, by parents who were also Texan-born from that very part of Texas, whose parents were also born in that geographic half of Texas… and so on for another three or four generations… you get the point.]

Contrast this against some of the Fiesta supermercados to open a decade or two before in the area, with incredible variety, plenty of colour, and even one location with their own hydroponic garden behind a two-storey-tall glass wall, growing and selling tomatoes whose seeds were cultivated on a Space Shuttle flight). But this Buc-ee’s was basically in the middle of (for now) nowhere, plopped along a recent U.S. highway expansion which detoured from the older route it used to follow.

Yes, Buc-ee’s isn’t a supermarket, but its footprint at most of their locations are orders bigger than most supermarkets, so the side-by-side is fair game.

I will say that the best gas stations in Europe I saw were in Italy as it had a pretty decent restaurant and a nice shop with souvenirs and a similar one in Greece. The bathrooms were ok - you had to pay to use them.

Although I’ve been to the UK and Iceland, I didn’t drive. I have yet to experience a continental rest stop, and it’s still something I’d like to experience. I really love the konbinis (convenience stores) in Japan, including the 7-Elevens and Lawson chains. Corner stores in Argentina also have some interesting offerings, snack-wise, including localized products of major international brands. Same goes for Thailand, especially with Frito-Lay potato chips.

I suppose the pay-for-washrooms thing is a way to assure both customers and staff strive to not make things an unaccountable disaster. I do appreciate a clean rest stop washroom inside which I don’t have to do “the hover”/pelvic floor squat over the bowl. 🤦‍♀️ Having worked in food service during my mid-teens, I don’t envy anyone who is tasked with hourly washroom inspections.

Back on contrasting the Buc-ee’s experience, there was a rest stop/truck stop Esso in Timmins, ON (birthplace of Shania Twain, y’all), which impressed me: it still had a full-service diner built into the place. One could sit to order a hearty breakfast or supper at any hour (I ordered a breakfast with pancakes and some of the better peameal I’ve had anywhere.)

Then I remembered how rest stops and diners were once a hand-in-hand thing pretty much wherever one travelled, especially along principal highways. Sometimes they were all-in-one stops, and other times a 24h diner was immediately next door from the fuelling station (where every dining booth would have wall telephones… yes, this was 1996), letting you walk over if you so chose.

As noted above, I value and have valued those minor highway fuelling stops with walk-up, short-order counters run by a handful of folks who have their own speciality/regional delicacy on the backlit, usually drink-branded menu board (with slots for the red and black glyphs, and bonus, an analogue clock which stopped working decades earlier).

It doesn’t take a lot of hype and superlatives to do something well. Those were places where you could find on the convenience store shelves the locally-made snacks with something unique to the area — like alder-smoked coho salmon jerky (Washington state) or some sweet-salty-spicy-umami concoction with the nut grown locally (or legume, as peanuts go).

The only thing Buc-ee’s does well is size. And blah-brown.

Real talk: Buc-ee’s is an object lesson on what happens when an entrepreneur has all the creativity, vivacity, and imagination beaten out of them by the time they reach ten years old. It’s a banal kind of tragedy, really.

Last edited:

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho
In Idaho, at least in the greater Boise area, we do have a bus system that is just OK. It's not 24/7 and you can pay daily, monthly and I think yearly. The buses themselves are clean and I used them a few times when I was going to school. But that's the ONLY "public" transit Idaho will ever have I think.

My personal, unproven, theory is that there are certain people and organizations at work that would love to keep public transit out of Idaho as much as possible. But the other factor too is that outside of Boise, Idaho just doesn't have the population to support a massive public transit system like BART. Hell, even a light-rail like in Seattle would be an improvement to what we have here but the cities in Idaho are just too far apart and to even speak of state funded public transit is heresy here.

Reactions: B S Magnet
In Idaho, at least in the greater Boise area, we do have a bus system that is just OK. It's not 24/7 and you can pay daily, monthly and I think yearly. The buses themselves are clean and I used them a few times when I was going to school. But that's the ONLY "public" transit Idaho will ever have I think.

I’ll have to re-check, but I believe there are some lines in Cœur d’Alene — or, more specifically, Kootenai County, but I’m not sure if there are any connections between it and the Spokane Transit Authority.

My personal, unproven, theory is that there are certain people and organizations at work that would love to keep public transit out of Idaho as much as possible. But the other factor too is that outside of Boise, Idaho just doesn't have the population to support a massive public transit system like BART.

On the former, the false association of public transit being congruent to “socialism” runs antithetical what some folks ascribe to the car/truck. It’s a whole thing and not worth my energy to think about it much more than that.

While Boise can support bus transit, I doubt any lines, even during peak hours, reach the rough rule of thumb around mode of conveyance in transit planning. Generally, if the most ridership per day a line receives is below 40,000 riders, the most cost-effective, practical means is either buses or trolley buses.

For some transit systems, particularly larger ones, they might also have a fleet of shorter-wheelbase transit buses for routes which see consistent use, but whose peaks never really come close to even half that 40K threshold. In all, these smaller-capacity routes might see somewhere closer to 5–10K riders a day.

A system like BART is designed for light rail lines whose capacities exceed 40,000 riders/day, on up to 100,000 riders, give or take (some transit systems might try for as high as 125,000/day, depending on the design of rolling stock used). But generally, if a line/route regularly exceeds that limit, light rail tends to give way to heavy rail, or subway/elevated train lines.

For cities which were built solely/principally around the car, there may be millions of residents in their city limits and surrounding communities, but the density of housing remains so low — whether incidentally or deliberately — that retrofitting fixed-rail where before commuters only drove poses a long-standing design challenge for planners, which is complicated even more when politics get pulled in.

The thing is, this century is going to force a lot of folks to re-evaluate how they live. Some places will lose water access permanently. Some places will become uninhabitable due to regular tidal flooding, and the manner by which electricity gets generated and carried will also face hard questions as 20th century grids aren’t able to keep up. The demand won’t only be for EVs, but also for increased power consumption during longer summers and many more high-minimum nights. And food security issues in places largely unfamiliar with the concept will also emerge more frequently (and more inconveniently).

Cities will can still deliver on those basic needs will need to find new, better ways to accommodate what will amount to intra-regional climate refugees.

Hell, even a light-rail like in Seattle would be an improvement to what we have here but the cities in Idaho are just too far apart and to even speak of state funded public transit is heresy here.

I was in Seattle when monorail tried one last time to pass, only to hit triple-overrun on just the billion-dollar planning stage. This is how Sound Transit was able to come in with the light-rail proposal. Before then, resistance to light rail in Seattle had gone on since at least the very late 1980s (around when traffic to Bellevue and Redmond began making I-5/I-405/I-90/520 commutes a nightmare. That Sound Transit chose a CBD-to-Sea-Tac line first was a wise move, as it offered a general proof-of-concept. It went well.

But also: unlike Boise, Seattle was (and remains) one of the most road-congested cities, even as Sound Transit, King Country Metro, and suburban services have made significant strides to introduce bus-rapid transit routes (perfect for light-rail critical-mass lines — 40K riders/day+ — when there isn’t capital budget for laying in rails and buying the rolling stock), as well as reserving the “shoulder lane” of major highways for buses and also using double-decker coach-style lines.

Boise will either densify out of necessity for more efficient fresh water use from the Boise River, assuming a drying/desertification trend doesn’t worsen throughout the Intermountain West, or Boise will winnow to a shadow of itself. Barring something cataclysmic, it will probably stick around as a regional centre for at least another century.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
Step one: is the claim EVEN CORRECT?
Answer: probably not, unless you start bobbing and weaving about exactly what you mean.

The numbers are easy to find:

So look at Table 5 and Table 4.
However you try to slice it, I don't see a major difference. The ONE big difference is if you insist on comparing buses in Canada vs the US because Canada has basically zero light rail whereas the US has a pretty large fraction of light rail relative to buses.
This is old data, but I don't see anything much different in newer data, just that it's not in as convenient a format.

So why do you even believe this? I'm guessing the usual answer for most of human nonsense – the availability heuristic. You model Canada as three cities that do what you want (Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver account for 70% of Canada's public transit trips) and ignore the rest, like Edmonton. This would be like looking at NYC, SF and Boston and assuming the rest of the country is like them.

BTW, another side fact is that in both the US AND Canada a substantial fraction of real public transit is on-demand, and while present in the stats, is not present in user perceptions. In the US, for example, this sort of on-demand bussing is huge in rural areas.
Yeah it seems to be about the same between Canada and US.

Here in the capital of Canada, our public transit system is absolutely horrendous. It's unreliable and hardly ever goes anywhere you need.

And now we have an unreliable and slow street tram masquerading as 'light rail' that immediately replaced the comparatively reliable and fast "rapid transit" busses for the entire of downtown. So if you come in from the suburbs, the busses all dump everyone off at a small train station, which you have to take to continue your last few km into town. When it first came into effect, it would take me about 30-45 minutes to get 6.5km while starting and arriving at two major transit stations on the Transitway. It would only take 20 minutes to bicycle.

Of course, most people here also won't soon forget when OC Transpo went on strike in one of the coldest 7-week periods in January and Feburary about a decade ago, leaving those who relied on the system no way to get around.

Yeah it seems to be about the same between Canada and US.

The two largest cities — Montréal and Toronto — have had multiple subway lines in place for more than a half-century. Toronto has also had streetcar lines for well over a century, and whose first streetcars were pulled by livestock in the 1800s — making it one of the longest, continuously operated streetcar systems on the continent (though, yes, many of those lines were privatized before the 1920 consolidation into a public transit service).

Three major western cities — Edmonton (LRT), Calgary (CTrain), and Vancouver (SkyTrain) — have had light-rail transit for nearly a half-century.

Hamilton is slated for light rail. Mississauga and Brampton are nearing completion of their first light rail line. Kitchener-Waterloo have theirs running.

As you noted, OCTranspo (or, more snarkily, OCTransno) have long been a mess and have had numerous problems with the roll-out of the O-Train’s Constitution line. That whole thing has been an object lesson in calamity and gaffes, but I hope they can figure it out.

This covers eight of the ten of the most populous CMAs in Canada, serving about half of the national population. Winnipeg is so, so close, but they appear to be trialling three BRT lines for now. BRT is not a bad start. The next tier, like Surrey, Québec, and Halifax, are, well… they’re struggling with green-lighting light rail.

(The Greater Golden Horseshoe, from Oshawa to Hamilton and out to Kitchener-Waterloo, Milton, and Barrie, is also served by GO Transit commuter rail. The Montréal Metropolitan Community is served by RTM commuter rail.)

U.S. cities, meanwhile, have made laudable strides in adding light rail and even streetcars since 2000, including MetroTransit in the Twin Cities, Sound Transit in the Puget Sound, the South Lake Union Trolley in Seattle, TRAX in Salt Lake City, and DART in Dallas. They joined Portland, Miami, and Buffalo, which had been running light rail since the ’80s. Many, many more have brought light rail online in just this last decade, but most of these are still in the inceptive stage, as single-line systems.

And yet, several major cities still lacking light rail include Orlando; Rochester, NY; Nashville; San Antonio; Tampa-St. Petersburg; Raleigh-Durham; Oklahoma City; Memphis; Richmond, VA; Louisville; Indianapolis; and Columbus, OH. Omaha appears to be leaving this list soon. (Las Vegas’s monorail is sort of a grey area here, much like Seattle’s monorail before it.)

I guess the point here is a sizeable share of major Canadian cities have had rail transit in place (or with Montréal, tires) continuously for quite a long while, while commitments to several of the new projects coming online are being designed to interconnect with existing commuter heavy rail transit.

Here in the capital of Canada, our public transit system is absolutely horrendous. It's unreliable and hardly ever goes anywhere you need.

And now we have an unreliable and slow street tram masquerading as 'light rail' that immediately replaced the comparatively reliable and fast "rapid transit" busses for the entire of downtown. So if you come in from the suburbs, the busses all dump everyone off at a small train station, which you have to take to continue your last few km into town. When it first came into effect, it would take me about 30-45 minutes to get 6.5km while starting and arriving at two major transit stations on the Transitway. It would only take 20 minutes to bicycle.

It’s a calamitous mess and I empathize with you. OCTranspo has long been a headache, to put it mildly.

Of course, most people here also won't soon forget when OC Transpo went on strike in one of the coldest 7-week periods in January and Feburary about a decade ago, leaving those who relied on the system no way to get around.

Or the double-decker bus struck at the railway crossing.

Last edited:

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2021
I think like others have mentioned, the premise is not exactly true. Yes the big cities will have it used more, but start moving out of the large cities and it is predominantly people in their cars and I would say those working closer to minimum wage or lower income are probably what is taking up the seats in buses and LRT's. I have used pubic transit once in my entire life living in SW Ontario, and that was with my mom when I was probably 6. Into my 40's now. The transit system is slow, had workers working for us who would take the bus across town and it was a significantly longer time then driving across. People here like their cars, their trucks, their motorcycles and they use them. There are people who use public transit, but they are the minority by a long shot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.