Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
I think like others have mentioned, the premise is not exactly true. Yes the big cities will have it used more, but start moving out of the large cities and it is predominantly people in their cars and I would say those working closer to minimum wage or lower income are probably what is taking up the seats in buses and LRT's. I have used pubic transit once in my entire life living in SW Ontario, and that was with my mom when I was probably 6. Into my 40's now. The transit system is slow, had workers working for us who would take the bus across town and it was a significantly longer time then driving across. People here like their cars, their trucks, their motorcycles and they use them. There are people who use public transit, but they are the minority by a long shot.

In cities like London, Windsor, and Sarnia, that isn’t surprising to hear at all.

Orlando, FL has had SunRail for a while.

Yah. That’s heavy/commuter rail, typically running on the same gauge as railway lines and powered by a diesel-electric locomotive. They use the Bombardier passenger rolling stock designed and built originally for GO Transit in the Greater Toronto Area. It now appears in several regional commuter rail systems across the continent.

Orlando have yet to build light rail for multiple-stop intracity connections — which almost invariably rely on overhead electrical lines. These days, many of the new LRT systems are using pantographs.

Reactions: bousozoku

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Yah. That’s heavy/commuter rail, typically running on the same gauge as railway lines and powered by a diesel-electric locomotive. They use the Bombardier passenger rolling stock designed and built originally for GO Transit in the Greater Toronto Area. It now appears in several regional commuter rail systems across the continent.

Orlando have yet to build light rail for multiple-stop intracity connections — which almost invariably rely on overhead electrical lines. These days, many of the new LRT systems are using pantographs.
Having lived outside Orlando for 11 years, SunRail is a miracle. Getting people off I-4 is also a miracle, because of SunRail.

For a state that hates toll roads and thinks that everyone should drive a car, they've made some progress, mostly in Orlando. The bus system probably still makes you wait one hour for a bus when it feels like 120 degrees F.

Reactions: B S Magnet

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I will pay for the turnpike from Orlando to Miami every day and twice on Tuesday to avoid I-95.
I-95 in Miami isn't as bad as it is in Atlanta. I would have liked to take U.S. 1 instead of I-95 through Georgia.

I-95 from Philly to NYC is a gawker convention, though.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
I-95 in Miami isn't as bad as it is in Atlanta. I would have liked to take U.S. 1 instead of I-95 through Georgia.

I-95 from Philly to NYC is a gawker convention, though.

I-95 doesn't go through Atlanta, I-75 and I-85 do. But my daughter went to college in Savannah and that drive once you left Columbia on I-26 and then on to I-95 just sucked. All of that needs to be expanded to 4 lanes skipping right past 3 lanes.

And boy does traffic fly. So does I-75 from Chatanooga to Atlanta. First time I took my wife to Atlanta, I warned her that if we aren't doing 90+, we would get run over. She didn't believe me until she looked at the speedo sitting at 100 and we weren't passing anyone.

Reactions: bousozoku

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I-95 doesn't go through Atlanta, I-75 and I-85 do. But my daughter went to college in Savannah and that drive once you left Columbia on I-26 and then on to I-95 just sucked. All of that needs to be expanded to 4 lanes skipping right past 3 lanes.

And boy does traffic fly. So does I-75 from Chatanooga to Atlanta. First time I took my wife to Atlanta, I warned her that if we aren't doing 90+, we would get run over. She didn't believe me until she looked at the speedo sitting at 100 and we weren't passing anyone.
Sorry, I'd been on the road so much on I-95 and I-75 from Florida. Chattanooga must have become faster, but I ways always looking for a Bojangles and a motel, so I didn't notice.

Virginia drivers are usually going 5 or 85 mph.

Going through Atlanta was always a three hour drive. I remembered wishing several times that there was a bypass around Georgia. The art school in Savannah was always on topic in my digital art classes in Florida.

JonnyMacx86

macrumors regular
Staff member
Feb 10, 2024
Halifax, NS
Believe me when I tell you, the car culture is alive and well in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Despite having arguably adequate public transportation, the general vibe is if you're not inner city, you need a car. Because it's a big, sparsely populated municipality, there are parts of "Halifax" that only have one bus route, and they're only serviced once an hour. I got around for years on a combination of public transit and my skateboard but it is a hard city to plan around work schedules and bus routes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.