Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2011
Why is health data backup 2 GB and when I look at storage it is only 300MB?

Thanks

chrizzz09

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2013
Germany
I have the same problem, health backup data takes up so much space on iCloud backup but only couple MB on internal space

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Why is health data backup 2 GB and when I look at storage it is only 300MB?

Thanks

There is a bug with iCloud backup. Every time when you backup to iCloud it re-backs up your entire health data instead of only the changes. Effectively doubling the size with every backup. Delete your iCloud backup and create a new one.

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2011
There is a bug with iCloud backup. Every time when you backup to iCloud it re-backs up your entire health data instead of only the changes. Effectively doubling the size with every backup. Delete your iCloud backup and create a new one.
Thanks that works! But is this something we need to do Periodically? Hope not

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2011
I mean if we were to restore from icloud would it even work???

I think its just the labeling and allocation in icloud not the actual data that is there.

b.c.

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2008
I just noticed this problem too - my health data backup grew to over 1.3 GB after I upgraded to iOS 10 and then restored to a new iPhone last week. For now I've just turned off the health data backup

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I just noticed this problem too - my health data backup grew to over 1.3 GB after I upgraded to iOS 10 and then restored to a new iPhone last week. For now I've just turned off the health data backup

But if you turn it off and your phone breaks, you won't be able to restore that data, unless you are also doing encrypted iTunes backups.

b.c.

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2008
But if you turn it off and your phone breaks, you won't be able to restore that data, unless you are also doing encrypted iTunes backups.
Yeah, actually I periodically also do an encrypted backup to iTunes manually, but automatically backup to iCloud daily.

Earlier in the week I restored to the new iPhone from an iTunes backup. I didn't notice the bloated iCloud health backup until after a few days of normal usage w/ daily iCloud automatic backups. So the earlier mentioned bug re-backing up the entire health data not just the changes makes sense. I hope they fix the bug soon, and hopefully we'll hear about it in this thread

InAustralia

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Did you read somewhere that it is a bug? I agree that it must be a bug (my Health data was taking up 5.6GB in my iCloud backup), but wanted to know if it's a known bug.

I guess if it's been reported somewhere, Apple know about it.

Thanks!

Ivanovitchk

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2010
Paris, FR
I have the same bug. Deleting the backup and making a fresh one reduces the size but it grows again fast.

Local health data is ~300 MB
iCloud health data is ~3 GB
Total iCloud backup is ~2 GB

May it be that the culprit is a 3rd party app ?
Does any of you happen to be using Withings Health Mate ?
Or a bluetooth HRM chest band ? They seem to bloat the Heart database with 10+ readings per second...

InAustralia

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia
I am not using any of those apps that you mentioned. I think it's just a bug.

I've deleted the health data from my iCloud backup for the time being. I'm still backing up to my Mac though.

Reactions: Mlrollin91

psidnell

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2010
I've had this for months, the only reason I know is that it keeps pushing me over my free iCloud account quota.

FWIW, my solution is to go to:

Settings/iCloud/Storage/Manage Storage/my phone

Disable health data from being backed up, force a backup then re-enable health data and backup again.

So your phone is always backed up, it's only the health data briefly isn't.

This drops my health data iCloud usage from a 1.5Gb down to 832Mb but even that's not correct,
If I go to:

General/Storage & iCloud Storage/Manage Storage/Storage (top one, for the device)

It says my health data is only 213Mb.

It's deeply confused.

Last edited:

Rorosbutt

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2013
Same. It's been like that since iOS 10. I tired deleting the whole iCloud back up and doing a fresh backup... it goes back to 2.2 GB.

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2015
This bug is still in the system. Are they planning to fix stuff or is it all about shinning new iPhones and volumes..

This is sad. 254mb Health data on my device and in iCloud backup it's now grown over 1.5GB. I mean this is really sad if you think about it. My iPhone 5c only holds 8GB storage and the iCloud backup of this thing is bigger than 2,4GB.

Maybe it's just Apple's way of making us buy that 1,- a month iCloud upgrade package. I only use iCloud for the simple stuff not my main files and I hope I still have enough with my free 5GB storage.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
This bug is still in the system. Are they planning to fix stuff or is it all about shinning new iPhones and volumes..

This is sad. 254mb Health data on my device and in iCloud backup it's now grown over 1.5GB. I mean this is really sad if you think about it. My iPhone 5c only holds 8GB storage and the iCloud backup of this thing is bigger than 2,4GB.

Maybe it's just Apple's way of making us buy that 1,- a month iCloud upgrade package. I only use iCloud for the simple stuff not my main files and I hope I still have enough with my free 5GB storage.

Are you on 10.3? Maybe its fixed with the new file system.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
My health data is only 35MB reported in iCloud backup.

But my iOS 10.3 reports a phantom backup taking 5GB even though I have deleted it days ago and never attempt to backup (my broadband/office network has incredibly low speed to iCloud backup server, up to 20KB/s).

Not sure if there is any coincidence with bloated health data issue.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
My health data is only 35MB reported in iCloud backup.

But my iOS 10.3 reports a phantom backup taking 5GB even though I have deleted it days ago and never attempt to backup (my broadband/office network has incredibly low speed to iCloud backup server, up to 20KB/s).

Not sure if there is any coincidence with bloated health data issue.

No, unfortunately phantom backups are bugs of iOS betas. You can call Apple and they can remove the phantom backup. It is the only way to remove it. I had this problem a few times in iOS 8/9 years.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
No, unfortunately phantom backups are bugs of iOS betas. You can call Apple and they can remove the phantom backup. It is the only way to remove it. I had this problem a few times in iOS 8/9 years.
Okay. Then I just let it be until space is "occupied" too much.

Rorosbutt

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2013
I've had this issue for some time. 6s running 10.2.1. Never had betas. No fix I know of beside purging all iCloud back ups and doing a fresh one BUT the backup size will balloon again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.