Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sc4rf4c3

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
Interesting that an Anroid device considerably less powerful than the N4 would perform better. The Galaxy Nexus is actually a closer hardware comparison to my iPad Touch than the N4.

I just ran the same test using Firefox on the N4, and still the slower scrolling and blanking out screen. The scroll indicator, while still tiny, is at least in the realm of visible.

This isn't just a issue exclusive to Chrome on the N4.

----------

Wow! Less than 5 seconds! Almost sounds too good to be true.

I'm gonna download Dolphin right now.

Edit:It's downloaded. Scrolls fast when the txtl is far, far too tiny to read. Readable text is much slower with blanking out and breaking up glitchiness.

Try the gestures.

knucklehead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2003
Try the gestures.

I'll have to dig thru the instructions. I assume there's a scroll to bottom of page gesture. Any way to quickly get to somewhere in the middle?

Edit: Not feeling instant love for the gestures, but Dolphin does seem to be the best so far at dealing with the scrolling speed problem. You can quickly alternate between the tiny text for rapid scrolling to a recognizable point, and regular text size for reading. Although -- dare I say it -- it's not nearly as smooth or fluid as iOS once you get to the normal reading mode.

It looks like, just like iOS, you're relying more on getting the proper apps to do what you need, and the OS is less important.

Does anyone know of a good word processor I should check out in Android?

Last edited:

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Interesting that an Anroid device considerably less powerful than the N4 would perform better. The Galaxy Nexus is actually a closer hardware comparison to my iPad Touch than the N4.

I just ran the same test using Firefox on the N4, and still the slower scrolling and blanking out screen. The scroll indicator, while still tiny, is at least in the realm of visible.

This isn't just a issue exclusive to Chrome on the N4.

----------

Wow! Less than 5 seconds! Almost sounds too good to be true.

I'm gonna download Dolphin right now.

Edit:It's downloaded. Scrolls fast when the txtl is far, far too tiny to read. Readable text is much slower with blanking out and breaking up glitchiness.

with opera mini I can scroll to bottom in under 3 seconds. one long flip and tap the scroll button and I am at the bottom of that long page.

knucklehead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2003
with opera mini I can scroll to bottom in under 3 seconds. one long flip and tap the scroll button and I am at the bottom of that long page.

... which doesn't help at all navigating to points in the middle of the page.

I've tried Opera several times over the last decade, but never stuck with it. On Android, it's just another app that thinks it has the right to monitor who I'm talking to on the phone. I just delete those apps unless they _really_ are useful to me. Opera deleted. ... plus it was fairly sticky and choppy scrolling as you do during normal reading.

Dolphin has taken care of Androids scrolling weakness on long webpages pretty well, now I'm looking for how to deal with it in actual productivity apps.

One more time -- Does anyone have an Android word processor to recommend that scrolls through a long document well? The ones I have are terrible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.