Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
Was there? And what version of Android was it running exactly?

Yep. Read his comments he is an android fan but admits this is a software related issue. He even notes that he over clocked it.

Assuming he is on jellybean because he has still been giving updates in the last few days with the same issue.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Nothing about the iphone is slow. Both phones in terms of speed are comparable. But smoothness is a different story.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=RVDMOP1pWCQ&desktop_uri=/watch?v=RVDMOP1pWCQ

havent we been thru this before. That video is not a fair comparison. Those youtube image in the ios Safari page is just an icon whereas on the Android it is actually a Flash plugin (i.e. a program running in the page). :p

I'm not sure what that video has to do with smoothness..

So what's with a little bit more of smoothness that the eye can barely notice? This smoothness adds nothing to any practical use advantage.

... not sure what mib's video has to do with "productivity" either ... :p

Are you trying to be ignorant? :lol: Quickly scroll thru a long web page (or drop down list). On the iphone it is just a tedious and slow process requiring many flips. :p

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I think this "smoothness" is way way over-rated. Speed is more important. Don't tell me Apple fans always have their eyes glue to the screen mesmerizing the "smooth" (but slow) transition when they scroll?

What is the point of smoothness when speed is slow. In terms of speed (esp. scrolling - not just browser but other UI as well) iOS is VERY SLOW. iphone is a fail for productivity compared to equivalent android. See the video below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH1GDLunomY

When my iPhone 4S (only phone I have now) hangs its very frustrating!

I notice it a lot when clicking a picture in group messages. It just sits there, and I'll scroll around, press the home button etc then it catches up and does all the missed input. Android at least freezes and blocks the input with a force close or wait box.

So I don't know what people are on about its smoothness and such. People complain "this app and that app are choppy" blame that on the app. Atomic web browser in iOS isn't as smooth as safari. Just like on my N10 Firefox isn't as smooth as chrome, and neither are as smooth as Chrome Beta.

It's like the app crashing argument I'll ask iOS users to goto diag in setting and screen shot latest crash section. They never do because it looks like this.

vaqupyqe.jpg

Usually much worse but I did a full restore at the beginning of this month.

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
Yep. Read his comments he is an android fan but admits this is a software related issue. He even notes that he over clocked it.

Assuming he is on jellybean because he has still been giving updates in the last few days with the same issue.
So basically, you don't know what version it is. Furthermore, you're talking about a "problem" that had to be filmed in slow motion at 120fps to see (and even then it isn't ostensible). That said, if you need slow-mo at 120fps to make a problem more visible, then it isn't a problem.

So what's with a little bit more of smoothness that the eye can barely notice? This smoothness adds nothing to any practical use advantage.
I don't buy the whole "smoothness" argument at all. I think that's just one of those misnomers constantly perpetuated by those looking for an iOS advantage. The video Dmaynard posted is a perfect example of this. Posting a link to a video where you don't even know what software version the guy is running, AND it had to be filmed in slow motion at 120fps just to show something that still isn't really noticeable at all (unless you look really closely and focus on it). All in all, the "smoothness" argument is a non-issue.

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
So basically, you don't know what version it is. Furthermore, you're talking about a "problem" that had to be filmed in slow motion at 120fps to see (and even then it isn't ostensible). That said, if you need slow-mo at 120fps to make a problem more visible, then it isn't a problem.

I don't buy the whole "smoothness" argument at all. I think that's just one of those misnomers constantly perpetuated by those looking for an iOS advantage. The video Dmaynard posted is a perfect example of this. Posting a link to a video where you don't even know what software version the guy is running, AND it had to be filmed in slow motion at 120fps just to show something that still isn't really noticeable at all (unless you look really closely and focus on it). All in all, the "smoothness" argument is a non-issue.

Anndd you are wrong.

http://fleetingtech.wordpress.com/2012/11/26/why-has-ios-always-been-smoother-than-android/

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
A random wordpress blog? Would you like to post a wikipedia link next? :rolleyes: I stand by my previous statements regarding "smoothness".

Google it and you will find a 100 other links why ios is smoother. Not saying faster, just smoother.

I will take your last response as you admitting defeat. Good day.

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
Google it and you will find a 100 other links why ios is smoother. Not saying faster, just smoother.

I will take your last response as you admitting defeat. Good day.

Defeat? I wasn't aware we were battling.. :rolleyes: Grow up. I don't care what "reasons" you manage to come up with, the bottom line is, if you it takes such extreme measures for you to demonstrate it, then it isn't an issue. In the very video you posted, it's a split second's difference...AND THAT'S IN SLOW MOTION. In normal motion, that means the difference is even less. So what are we really talking about here? A 1/10 of a second? This is your grand point? That really all you've got. Nothing to see here. Have a nice day. :cool:

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
Defeat? I wasn't aware we were battling.. :rolleyes: Grow up. I don't care what "reasons" you manage to come up with, the bottom line is, if you it takes such extreme measures for you to demonstrate it, then it isn't an issue. In the very video you posted, it's a split second's difference...AND THAT'S IN SLOW MOTION. In normal motion, that means the difference is even less. So what are we really talking about here? A 1/10 of a second? This is your grand point? That really all you've got. Nothing to see here. Have a nice day. :cool:

Day is going good, thanks. Read my link or any of the 100 of related links found on a google search and come back. Thanks.

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
Day is going good, thanks. Read my link or any of the 100 of related links found on a google search and come back. Thanks.

In other words, you don't know how to explain what you're rambling on about. The bottom line is, the proof is in the pudding. The very video you posted makes my point for me. Again, have a nice day... run along. :)

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
In other words, you don't know how to explain what you're rambling on about. The bottom line is, the proof is in the pudding. The very video you posted makes my point for me. Again, have a nice day... run along. :)

The link says it all.

I understand the need to defend your purchase. But the evidence speaks for itself. Do you think that all these articles are just people making stuff up? Whatever helps you sleep at night...

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
The link says it all.

I understand the need to defend your purchase. But the evidence speaks for itself. Do you think that all these articles are just people making stuff up? Whatever helps you sleep at night...

Reading comprehension much? I think we're done here.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
That's just you.

Mike

I too notice a difference - while I wouldn't characterize Android as "hella choppy", the response time between the touch point and the movement on the screen is higher on Android than on iOS.....

Simply a product of each OS's refinement - Android uses all that power to run a more open (see bloated) OS, while Apple's "close-minded" (see efficient) approach allows for more deep integration of software and hardware.

Please don't take this as an attack - simply my point of view on the two. For those who prefer the open approach, the small difference in response time is negligible/unimportant and that's perfectly fine.

But its a pretty clear fact iOS is still smoother and more responsive than Android - even 4.2.2. Looking forward to KLP on my Nexus 4 to see what improvements Google makes!

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
I too notice a difference - while I wouldn't characterize Android as "hella choppy", the response time between the touch point and the movement on the screen is higher on Android than on iOS.....

Simply a product of each OS's refinement - Android uses all that power to run a more open (see bloated) OS, while Apple's "close-minded" (see efficient) approach allows for more deep integration of software and hardware.

Please don't take this as an attack - simply my point of view on the two. For those who prefer the open approach, the small difference in response time is negligible/unimportant and that's perfectly fine.

But its a pretty clear fact iOS is still smoother and more responsive than Android - even 4.2.2. Looking forward to KLP on my Nexus 4 to see what improvements Google makes!

Thank you.

knucklehead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2003
Are you trying to be ignorant? :lol:

I'm actually trying to not be ignorant ... how about you? I happen to find it funny that someone might confuse any sort of scrolling through a webpage as being productive.

When I think of bing productive, I think of doing some work in an app such as Pages. When I open a document in Pages that's a few hundred pages long, I can scroll through it in seconds. My productivity is in no way slowed down by any sort of scrolling problems -- yet you're here in the internet claiming the opposite for some reason. What do you think might prompt this strange behavior on your part?

scroll thru a long web page (or drop down list). On the iphone it is just a tedious and slow process requiring many flips. :p

I've been doing just that. Here's a nice long webpage:http://www.edge.org/responses/q2013
In PDF form, that's over 300 pages -- it's a webpage that's basically a book.

I have that page loaded on a Nexus 4, and a iPod Touch 5 right now. I can scroll through it in about 5 seconds on my iPod. How long does it take to scroll all the way through on the Nexus? ... that would be very difficult to say.

When I fast scroll for 5 seconds on the Nexus, the screen soon goes completely blank, and you sit there for several seconds looking at a white screen waiting for any text to reappear. When the text does reappear, I'm not to the end of the page. How far did I get? ... mighty tough to say without any scroll indicator in Chrome.

I've lost interest in trying to find the scroll time on the N4 -- it's too much of a pain. When I want to try the test again in Safari, I just tap the top of the screen, and I'm instantly at the top of the page. I Chrome on the N4, you have to trudge back up through the whiteout conditions to get to the top. Perhaps someone else can try and come up with a total scroll time for this.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I did not find that my iPhone 5 was any more smoother than my Nexus 4 or SGS3, If I had, I would still have the iPhone 5. I sold it. I would not be using a device that I considered "second best".

Last edited:

knucklehead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2003

I certainly notice it too. I don't consider it a real problem, but to deny it exists is rather strange.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona

I don't agree at all. My Note 2 is as smooth as, if not smoother, than my iPhone or iPad (when they are first rebooted). Plus, my iPhone 4S and iPad 3 lag plenty of times. Not indiscernible lags: noticeable. Heck the Huffington Post app on my iPad crashes every single day (right after slowing to a crawl).

Even moving around home screens on my Note 2 is smoother than on my iPhone/iPad. This is with many more icons per screen, a 3D transition between screens, a weather widget on the main page, and live wallpaper. Super fast.

As for vertical scrolling.... Note 2 seems to go faster and I can move further in one swipe. I find myself doing less "flicking" like I do on iOS.

But really this is all silly to be debating: they are both "smooth enough" as to it not be an issue. If Android did not get to this point--and they have--there is zero chance I would be using it.

Michael

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I'm actually trying to not be ignorant ... how about you? I happen to find it funny that someone might confuse any sort of scrolling through a webpage as being productive.

When I think of bing productive, I think of doing some work in an app such as Pages. When I open a document in Pages that's a few hundred pages long, I can scroll through it in seconds. My productivity is in no way slowed down by any sort of scrolling problems -- yet you're here in the internet claiming the opposite for some reason. What do you think might prompt this strange behavior on your part?

I've been doing just that. Here's a nice long webpage:http://www.edge.org/responses/q2013
In PDF form, that's over 300 pages -- it's a webpage that's basically a book.

I have that page loaded on a Nexus 4, and a iPod Touch 5 right now. I can scroll through it in about 5 seconds on my iPod. How long does it take to scroll all the way through on the Nexus? ... that would be very difficult to say.

When I fast scroll for 5 seconds on the Nexus, the screen soon goes completely blank, and you sit there for several seconds looking at a white screen waiting for any text to reappear. When the text does reappear, I'm not to the end of the page. How far did I get? ... mighty tough to say without any scroll indicator in Chrome.

I've lost interest in trying to find the scroll time on the N4 -- it's too much of a pain. When I want to try the test again in Safari, I just tap the top of the screen, and I'm instantly at the top of the page. I Chrome on the N4, you have to trudge back up through the whiteout conditions to get to the top. Perhaps someone else can try and come up with a total scroll time for this.

I'm having a similar experience except with my 4S. Since iOS prioritizes user input it freezes the downloading and loading process when my finger is touching the screen.

If I wait for it to download it is faster at scrolling compared to my Xoom (I'm at work and don't have my N10). Not a very fair comparison due to the Xoom's age but it basically does what your describing.

At the same time it's not nearly stopping every task to give the "appearance" of smoothness like iOS.

I can do one thing at time faster then someone can do 12 things (being equal skills etc etc). Doesn't mean I'm "faster".

Normally its a none issue. The example you posted, it very unlikely I could read as fast as the page loads so its unnoticeable. However where I notice it the most is when using an app that freezes touch input instead of downloading. Tapatalk on iOS is the worst for this. If it says loading on the screen the app is totally unresponsive. In a poor signal area it's quite annoying. Whereas the unnoticeably slow Android doesn't do this, it loads, scrolls, downloads, etc while your touching the screen.

Perception is the key here IMO. It's function over form or what is more important too you. A year ago I think the difference was noticeable enough to prefer iOS's form over function approach but now with more powerful hardware its too close to care about that. IMO of course.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar

No, it has nothing to do with that

----------

Chrome has scroll indicator and that page, once loaded, doesn't go blank when scrolling with a Nexus 4.

By the way, can you show how to scroll from the beginning to the end in 5 seconds?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
No, it has nothing to do with that

----------

Chrome has scroll indicator and that page, once loaded, doesn't go blank when scrolling with a Nexus 4.

By the way, can you show how to scroll from the beginning to the end in 5 seconds?

I was gonna say something about the 5 seconds but with a bit of practice I was able to do it on my 4S.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.