Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 9, 2010
I thought i'd get used to the completely exceeding poor positioning of the power button on the right side of the 12 mini. It's such an elegant phone that I don't use it with a case which is so much more satisfying to use. However it appears that it's meant to work with a case because without a case the power button is very difficult to easily press without hitting one of the volume buttons, so i end up taking a screenshots when I want to sleep the display or I sleep the display when i want to adjust the volume. It's as if Apple decided that it's ok to have this ****** design decision because it will be used in a case.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Yep, non-ideal power button placement is just one of the compromises that come with modern phones which are no longer designed primarily for one-handed use. Although the Mini is quite a bit smaller than the other iPhones, I guess Apple thought it was still too big to put the power button back on top. But how does having a case help prevent taking screen shots? Do cases make the buttons more difficult to press? (I’ve never used cases.)

I don’t think phones should be designed to require a case.
Absolutely. I recently posted this elsewhere, but I believe if you’re a company and most people feel compelled to use a case on your product, then you have failed somewhere—either in the design of the product being too prone to mishandling and/or damage, or in the communication of how the product is supposed to be used and handled. Of course it’s also possible that even if a company properly communicates how their product is supposed to be used, most of the user base may ignore it and use it improperly.

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
Yep, non-ideal power button placement is just one of the compromises that come with modern phones which are no longer designed primarily for one-handed use. Although the Mini is quite a bit smaller than the other iPhones, I guess Apple thought it was still too big to put the power button back on top. But how does having a case help prevent taking screen shots? Do cases make the buttons more difficult to press? (I’ve never used cases.)

Absolutely. I recently posted this elsewhere, but I believe if you’re a company and most people feel compelled to use a case on your product, then you have failed somewhere—either in the design of the product being too prone to mishandling and/or damage, or in the communication of how the product is supposed to be used and handled. Of course it’s also possible that even if a company properly communicates how their product is supposed to be used, most of the user base may ignore it and use it improperly.
Then I guess most categories of expensive handheld products – cameras, scientific calculators, PDAs, etc. – are failures, as they have traditionally come with cases. iPhones are more slippery than any of those, and you have to buy the case separately!

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Then I guess most categories of expensive handheld products – cameras, scientific calculators, PDAs, etc. – are failures, as they have traditionally come with cases. iPhones are more slippery than any of those, and you have to buy the case separately!
Those devices come with cases? Do you mean carrying cases? That’s different from phone cases which permanently enclose/cover up the device even while being used, which changes the designed usage experience.

Yes, Apple should include cases with phones IF they designed the phone to be used with cases, which I’m not sure they did. But whether they did or not, I think there’s some kind of failure there because of the fact that most people use cases (or at the very least a huge percentage of them).

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
Those devices come with cases? Do you mean carrying cases? That’s different from phone cases which permanently enclose/cover up the device even while being used, which changes the designed usage experience.

Yes, Apple should include cases with phones IF they designed the phone to be used with cases, which I’m not sure they did. But whether they did or not, I think there’s some kind of failure there because of the fact that most people use cases (or at the very least a huge percentage of them).
They’re super slippery items made of glass, which slide easily out of hands and off surfaces. No great mystery there.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I'm not sure why this is an issue. And I'm not sure what does this have anything to do with cases. Why do you keep pressing the volume button and the side button at the same time?
Not sure how cases affect it, but obviously the volume and power buttons being almost on exactly direct opposite sides of the phone makes them very easy to press simultaneously on accident, compared to when the power button was on top. If you’ve never pressed one or the other on accident, I’m willing to bet you are in a very small minority.

arazeleternal

macrumors member
May 17, 2016

I disagree with this sentiment. For some of us, even if we are paying these devices off in installments and have AppleCare+, they are still huge investments for us. Myself, I am on the road quite a lot for work running around town, delivering auto parts. I have to stay in contact with the shop I work for. Being without a phone for even a short time would be an issue.

More than that, I have a medical issue called Tardive Dyskinesia which is a movement disorder that is not the same as, but not at all dissimilar to Tourette’s. Among other things, it effects my arms and hands and causes me to drop things more often than the typical person. Combine that with asphalt parking lots that often times have lose asphalt bits and pea gravel, and it is just a shattered screen waiting to happen, which is why I use both a expensive case - UAG Monarch Pro - and a good screen protector - Otterbox AmplifyGlass.

Sometimes there is good reason for using the protection for the device.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
They’re super slippery items made of glass, which slide easily out of hands and off surfaces. No great mystery there.
Yup, people want that premium look and feel.
But it’s also due to the large size of phones these days, and on some phones rounded edges, that they are especially easy to drop. Back in the iPhone 4/5 days, even though they were also made of slippery material, because of the small size and flat edges, one could much more practically get away with not having a case. I’ve had only iPhone 4s/5s/SE1, always caseless, and never broke one in 11 years. But there was 3 months in there that I used an iPhone 6s Plus—big with rounded edges. I dropped that thing all the time so I quickly had to get a case. Not looking forward to using a big phone like that again, but with the direction the iPhone lineup is going, I might not have a choice if I want to stay in the Apple ecosystem.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I disagree with this sentiment. For some of us, even if we are paying these devices off in installments and have AppleCare+, they are still huge investments for us. Myself, I am on the road quite a lot for work running around town, delivering auto parts. I have to stay in contact with the shop I work for. Being without a phone for even a short time would be an issue.

More than that, I have a medical issue called Tardive Dyskinesia which is a movement disorder that is not the same as, but not at all dissimilar to Tourette’s. Among other things, it effects my arms and hands and causes me to drop things more often than the typical person. Combine that with asphalt parking lots that often times have lose asphalt bits and pea gravel, and it is just a shattered screen waiting to happen, which is why I use both a expensive case - UAG Monarch Pro - and a good screen protector - Otterbox AmplifyGlass.

Sometimes there is good reason for using the protection for the device.
It’s not the fault of the user that they need to use a case. As I said, it’s a flaw in the design (in my opinion).
Also it’s not to say, even if it was designed adequately so that it’s not easily dropped nor easily broken if dropped, that no one should take extra measures to protect it. There are always reasons and circumstances. But as I said, if the majority of the user base feels the need to use a case, then I have to question why the designers of the product didn’t take into account the needs of the majority of their target market.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
And, despite a popular opinion here on the MacRumors iPhone forum, I don't think Apple is designing them to require a case.

But for whatever reason, people here like to think they are.
I personally do not think Apple purposely designed the phones to be used with cases.

I think aesthetics is very important to Apple, and having people ugly their phone by adding a case is probably not the ideal scenario for Apple. Well, I guess they’re probably cool with it, if you buy the case from them.

Reactions: eyoungren

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Not sure how cases affect it, but obviously the volume and power buttons being almost on exactly direct opposite sides of the phone makes them very easy to press simultaneously on accident, compared to when the power button was on top. If you’ve never pressed one or the other on accident, I’m willing to bet you are in a very small minority.
Throughout iPhone 6 through 2022 SE, nobody seems to have that problem in such detrimental way as the OP described.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Why do you keep pressing the volume button and the side button at the same time?
I do it all the time too.

Just when I pick it up sometimes I’m not sure what and I’m picking it up from, or really I just don’t think about it. I probably press the buttons together a few times a day.

I am currently using a 13 mini. Prior to the mini, I was using an SE1, and of course, I didn’t have the issue because the lock button was on top.

But, prior to my SE1, I had a 6S plus, and I did it all the time on that phone as well, and that was far from mini.

I think it is worse with the 13 mini, though.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
It’s not the fault of the user that they need to use a case. As I said, it’s a flaw in the design (in my opinion).
I personally do not think there’s anything wrong with someone wanting to use a case, there are all sorts of reasons for one to use one, but I would put the “fault” on the user.

Since 2007, I go case-less on all my iPhones, and while I have broken a few a while back from drops, I never blame Apple for it.

On the other hand, flexgate, I think that was a design flaw, and Apple addressed it with the 6S plus.

Although, I think the designs were a lot more prone to drops back then. The rounded edges mixed with the super slippery aluminum.

At least now, there are squared off edges. I much rather have the squared off edges, when I hold the phone, I feel like I have a better grip on it.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I do it all the time too.

Just when I pick it up sometimes I’m not sure what and I’m picking it up from, or really I just don’t think about it. I probably press the buttons together a few times a day.

I am currently using a 13 mini. Prior to the mini, I was using an SE1, and of course, I didn’t have the issue because the lock button was on top.

But, prior to my SE1, I had a 6S plus, and I did it all the time on that phone as well, and that was far from mini.

I think it is worse with the 13 mini, though.
I Have the 7+ and I never actually have the issue. Probably because I rarely need to push the power button. With lift to wake, the only time I need to press the power button probably only to shut the phone down.

Maybe FaceID phone behaves differently… Although I can see the potential, the buttons are fairly firm that it will take intentional force/grasp to press both buttons at the same time. I mean I find taking screenshots using this method to be a hit n miss to the point I just create a shortcut in accessibility for taking screenshots 😅 Thus I wonder how people can press both buttons accidentally in such good timing so frequently.

kyriostrife

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2010
Apple is a publicly traded company. All Apple cares about is that they can profit off the fact that some people use cases. Not that everyone buys Apple cases. I wouldn’t say the phone is designed to be used with a case for usability purposes. Just designed so that if people want cases, Apple can profit from it.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I personally do not think there’s anything wrong with someone wanting to use a case, there are all sorts of reasons for one to use one, but I would put the “fault” on the user.

Since 2007, I go case-less on all my iPhones, and while I have broken a few a while back from drops, I never blame Apple for it.

On the other hand, flexgate, I think that was a design flaw, and Apple addressed it with the 6S plus.

Although, I think the designs were a lot more prone to drops back then. The rounded edges mixed with the super slippery aluminum.

At least now, there are squared off edges. I much rather have the squared off edges, when I hold the phone, I feel like I have a better grip on it.
Just to be clear, I don’t mean it’s Apple’s fault as in they are to blame for people dropping their phones. People are responsible to know what they’re buying and to take whatever reasonable precautions they need to prevent mishap. Even if Apple made a product that’s as fragile as a soap bubble, it’s still not Apple’s responsibility if people buy it and pop it, because people should know that’s what soap bubbles do. Apple would only be at fault if they lied or strongly misled in their marketing.

What I’m really saying, at the risk of repeating myself but hopefully I’m reiterating more clearly, is that if the majority of the target market of a product feels that the product is unreasonable to use by itself, ie. that an accessory (phone case) is necessary, then the product has failed itself and its own goal, because it didn’t meet its target audience’s need. And not meeting one’s target is by definition a failure. If it was a small minority of people using cases, that would be a different story. Then the design would have mostly succeeded. But as it is (assuming most people use cases), it has mostly failed.

I think the only way these phones have mostly succeeded in their design is if Apple did intend for the majority to use a case. But I don’t think they did. Because if they did, then it should have been apparent in the marketing.

Reactions: Andeddu

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Just to be clear, I don’t mean it’s Apple’s fault as in they are to blame for people dropping their phones. People are responsible to know what they’re buying and to take whatever reasonable precautions they need to prevent mishap. Even if Apple made a product that’s as fragile as a soap bubble, it’s still not Apple’s responsibility if people buy it and pop it, because people should know that’s what soap bubbles do. Apple would only be at fault if they lied or strongly misled in their marketing.

What I’m really saying, at the risk of repeating myself but hopefully I’m reiterating more clearly, is that if the majority of the target market of a product feels that the product is unreasonable to use by itself, ie. that an accessory (phone case) is necessary, then the product has failed itself and its own goal, because it didn’t meet its target audience’s need. And not meeting one’s target is by definition a failure. If it was a small minority of people using cases, that would be a different story. Then the design would have mostly succeeded. But as it is (assuming most people use cases), it has mostly failed.

I think the only way these phones have mostly succeeded in their design is if Apple did intend for the majority to use a case. But I don’t think they did. Because if they did, then it should have been apparent in the marketing.
I see what you’re saying however if Apple produced a phone that’s not as slippery or easy to crack and damage as current iPhones, they’d look completely different and lack the current aesthetic. The reason iPhones look so stylish is because of the materials from which they are made.

We wouldn’t have glass backs, for instance, if phones were not intended for use without a case.

I have used all different kinds of iPhones since the 5/5S/SE design and I can say they are all considerably more difficult to hold without dropping. All larger phones are prone to being dropped which is why I personally swear by cases and screen protectors. This is true for Apple or any other manufacturer.

Companies such as Oppo and ASUS, etc… provide clear cases out of the box with their phones.

All phones larger than an iPhone SE are designed to be used with a case. Those who refuse to use cases have to be exceedingly careful and conscious of what they are doing when handling their devices.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Absolutely. I recently posted this elsewhere, but I believe if you’re a company and most people feel compelled to use a case on your product, then you have failed somewhere—either in the design of the product being too prone to mishandling and/or damage, or in the communication of how the product is supposed to be used and handled.

Do you ever put your caseless iPhone flat on the table with the cameras down? Tricky for any recent iPhone.

Reactions: Andeddu

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Do you ever put your caseless iPhone flat on the table with the cameras down? Tricky for any recent iPhone.
Good spot. The camera modules are not designed for naked phones to be laid down from the back as they are not flush. I never really noticed because I use a case which keeps the rear of the phone flush so it can be placed on a flat surface without causing any scratches.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
True, this was one of my biggest complaints about my old 6s Plus, but the 13 Mini doesn’t bother me as much when sitting on a table.

It sits flat, angled slightly towards me if in portrait, and due to the giant camera bump relative to the small size of the phone, it sits still when using unless pressing the upper left side of the display.

Still not as good as my SE1, but an improvement over larger iPhones since the iPhone 6.

Bento.Box

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2022
The problem is that the volume buttons are placed opposite to the power button. For some reason, apple also consistently places them backwards (left vor volume up, right for volume down - the rest of the world does the opposite, but then again apple does the touchpad scrolling backwards by default as well).

With or without case, I often take screenshots when I activate/deactivate my phone. It's a minor ergonomics fail.

I had cases with a cover at first, but they didn't prevent the screen from getting scratches. So I fitted a transparent screen protector and choose an open case with air-filled edges.

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
The problem is that the volume buttons are placed opposite to the power button. For some reason, apple also consistently places them backwards (left vor volume up, right for volume down - the rest of the world does the opposite, but then again apple does the touchpad scrolling backwards by default as well).

IDGI… “up” is volume up, “down” is volume down. Like every phone…(?)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.