Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Apple would never have released FaceID in the first place if they didn’t think it was more than good enough to replace TouchID in its entirety - there was never any chance they’d put both in the same device.
I put the link in post #9, but apparently Federighi said that there may be situations where different biometric techniques or a combination of them could make sense. Can’t remember if it’s from the same link but he also says Face ID won’t work in all situations, so that’s likely the reasoning behind the first statement—no biometric technique is perfect for all situations.
Point being, while it’s clear Apple has bet big on Face ID, it doesn’t sound like they consider it to be the end all. And it sounds like they left open the possibility of multiple biometric techniques in the same device, which could mean both Face ID and Touch ID. That said, I don’t think it’s likely they would put them both in an iPhone now if they haven’t yet, unless it’s because they wanted to integrate Touch ID under screen but haven’t been able to yet.

Reactions: BostonQuad

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2009
Slovenia, EU
FaceID is simply better than fingerprint, but in order to be safe (as in can't use a photograph to trick it), the tech needs to be pretty advanced (this is why Androids are still using fingerprints).

+ works with gloves
+ works with sunglasses
+ works with masks
+ works with dry skin (TouchID fails in dry envoronments in winter often)
+ works with older people (some shakiness doesn't bother FaceID, but is an issue for fingerprints)
+ offers a more seamless interaction with the phone without touching (for example when mounted in car)

There are simply very, very little situations, where TouchID would be better. And there is no way they would put more than one biometric verification on a device, where volume and weight are an issue.

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
I put the link in post #9, but apparently Federighi said that there may be situations where different biometric techniques or a combination of them could make sense. Can’t remember if it’s from the same link but he also says Face ID won’t work in all situations, so that’s likely the reasoning behind the first statement—no biometric technique is perfect for all situations.
Point being, while it’s clear Apple has bet big on Face ID, it doesn’t sound like they consider it to be the end all. And it sounds like they left open the possibility of multiple biometric techniques in the same device, which could mean both Face ID and Touch ID. That said, I don’t think it’s likely they would put them both in an iPhone now if they haven’t yet, unless it’s because they wanted to integrate Touch ID under screen but haven’t been able to yet.
I wonder though whether he meant situation as in the user’s situation, or situation as in the design requirements of the device - because clearly there are situations where Apple still think touchID has a place, ie in the iPhone SE and the base level iPad. They’ve kept both touchID and FaceID around for different purposes and probably will continue to for some time (so Federighi is never going to dunk on touchID entirely) but I’m still not convinced they’d ever consider putting both in the same device.

Dust-by-Monday

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2021
Face ID is just so seamless. You pick up your phone and it seems to just magically unlock at the slightest glimpse of your face. That's just so cool to me. Unlock passwords just by opening them in settings, look at locked notes just by looking at your phone. Too cool to give up.

MapleBeercules

Cancelled
Nov 9, 2023
I appreciate Face ID, but it almost always fails outside. TouchID would be a great complement, but building it under the display is problematic.

So what's wrong with putting TouchID on the power button? It works perfectly on my iPad mini. I might even prefer it on the power button than on the screen.

Edit: I don't want Face ID replaced; I love it. I want both.
I hate face ID, you cannot 100% protect an image of your face, while faceID is suppose to be able to detect a picture vs real thing but I think its silly to use something you have no control over as your authentication method. It would be like posting copies of your fingerprints on the internet and calling touch ID secure :p

I still use passcode and probably will always use a pass code until iphone 21 pro can sample my dna and confirm im me and also not sick :p

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2009
Slovenia, EU
I hate face ID, you cannot 100% protect an image of your face, while faceID is suppose to be able to detect a picture vs real thing but I think its silly to use something you have no control over as your authentication method. It would be like posting copies of your fingerprints on the internet and calling touch ID secure :p

I still use passcode and probably will always use a pass code until iphone 21 pro can sample my dna and confirm im me and also not sick :p

You do know you leave your fingerprints on pretty much everything you touch? It's just a matter of scanning a door knob you just touched. Or an elevator button. Or...

Passcode, really? Somebody standing next to you can see the numbers you punch in.

Dust-by-Monday

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2021
You do know you leave your fingerprints on pretty much everything you touch? It's just a matter of scanning a door knob you just touched. Or an elevator button. Or...

Passcode, really? Somebody standing next to you can see the numbers you punch in.
So secure

MapleBeercules

Cancelled
Nov 9, 2023

leaving finger prints behind isnt the issue, it would take alot of effort to get a clean fingerprint from random prints. Otherwise we wouldnt need police detectives with fingerprint kits to get them.

Its not the same as putting pictures of your face online and calling your device secure.

and if you think passkeys arent secure, I hope you dont have a debt card, because Ive never had an issue with my pin getting stolen... :p

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2009
Slovenia, EU
leaving finger prints behind isnt the issue, it would take alot of effort to get a clean fingerprint from random prints. Otherwise we wouldnt need police detectives with fingerprint kits to get them.

Its not the same as putting pictures of your face online and calling your device secure.

and if you think passkeys arent secure, I hope you dont have a debt card, because Ive never had an issue with my pin getting stolen... :p

I do have a debit card. And guess what... it's FaceID protected, I never enter the passkey and the card is always in a home safe.

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
TouchID sucked, let it go. FaceID doesn’t fail outside, it’s way better

FaceID has gotten better, but I still prefer TouchID as I feel like it gives me more control. I wish they would have put Touch ID on the power button like they did for Ipad.

Why can't we have both and just give users the option?

Last edited:

Dust-by-Monday

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2021

So what if your face is online, it's just a 2D image at that point and it can't be used to unlock your iPhone.

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009

FaceID isn’t merely “supposed to be able to detect a picture”, in point of fact it can‘t detect a picture because pictures are entirely irrelevant to it, it doesn’t see pictures at all. Trying to unlock FaceID with a picture is like trying to pick a lock with a marshmallow, it’s an impossibility, no matter what quantity or quality you might have.

FaceID looks for a living, breathing, three dimensional face with (assuming you’re sensible and have this option switched on) your actual open eyes. That’s the only thing which will unlock it. It’s proven to be far more secure than TouchID, even before you get into the fact that fingerprints are far easier to copy and fake.

Reactions: 537635 and kitKAC
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.