Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abobrek

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2012
I'll tell you, there are a lot of Apple haters here who try to disparage Apple whenever they can. Could be, many people saying they are returning never actually had it to begin with here.

Reddit, though, may have a better representation of people who actually have the VP. There was another post to an article from a guy saying he's spoken with Apple Retail leaders off the record. They apparently stated they have not seen the expected return rate. A little more than an iPhone launch. Most of the people returning are YouTubers and people who got sick using it after a day or two. Nothing like what's portrayed here.
Except that guy (from AppleInsider) ONLY polled 24 Apple stores in the east coast. That is small portion of total Apple stores, and he even excludes online returns. He also does not state exact numbers, therefore it is a viewpoint from these stores of a single employee’s experience with the returns they have personally seen.

Abobrek

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2012
There is a lot of people here are just lying and never purchased the product in the first place. This forum has always been a magnet for trolls who didn’t actually buy the product.
But that is a small percentage of customers who have purchased an AVP. This website to be real, is for Apple enthusiasts/fans. The majority of the population and Apple customers (AVP included) do not visit this website and often aren’t even familiar with it. Also, there are genuine instances of returns (not lies) of AVP purchases that are posted about on MR.

• Haha
Reactions: G5isAlive

Abobrek

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2012
The polls on this website and reddit (or the internet in general) are completely useless and nobody should use them to make/support any claims, ok? Selection bias, sampling bias, vote brigading, etc.

I trust the well-sourced reporting from The Verge and CNet more than these polls - both of those outlets ran articles citing multiple Apple Store retail employees sain the AVP return rate is average to slightly above-average.
You mean this article in which they state, “They actually DO NOT KNOW the return rate”??? 🤣🤣🤣🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Dovahkiing

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2013
My bad
You mean this article in which they state, “They actually DO NOT KNOW the return rate”??? 🤣🤣🤣🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

I don't know why you assume it was *that* particular article I was referring to. But regardless - My Bad it was this one from Bloomberg I read this AM

Still - maybe chill a bit over there pal and don't jump the gun

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
Except that guy (from AppleInsider) ONLY polled 24 Apple stores in the east coast. That is small portion of total Apple stores, and he even excludes online returns. He also does not state exact numbers, therefore it is a viewpoint from these stores of a single employee’s experience with the returns they have personally seen.

Catch up on your reading. Answered this already:

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
Let me articulate. And to be clear, I am a huge Apple fan and I own two other VR headsets, and I am still waiting for a good one from Apple, I have faith in future generations.

1. iPod: It was a pure work of art designed for the enjoyment of art. Nothing was ever wrong with this product despite limitations like no USB file transfer and FM radio. The beauty of the thing starting with the packaging cube was mind blowing, you just wanted it and you loved using it.

2. Mac: I have repeatedly had my mind blown by almost every new Mac, especially MacBooks, with the exception of the Touch Bar MBP. The most limited-capability mainstream Mac was the original MacBook Air, a device with very limited performance, but it was a full-blown usable Mac that could fit in a manila envelope. Actually carrying it around and using it sort of like an iPad today was mind blowing.

3. iPhone: Replaced plastic-screened stylus-controlled smartphones and PDAs with a scratch-resistant capacitive glass touchscreen that could be used just fine for typing on day one. The very first pocket computer that was a delight to use, synced well with your computer, and was really stable and reliable from day one. A completely purpose-built operating system and user interface that has yet to be fundamentally challenged to this day from day one. A phone, a web browser, a PDA, Google Maps albeit without GPS, a music and video player, a notepad, all in one device on day 1, and it worked 10x better than anything before. A 3.5mm headphone jack. A ring-silent switch. Slide to unlock. It was mind blowing on day one. I didn't say perfect, I said mind-blowing. People cite the lack of 3G and copy+paste as major shortcomings on this device. What use did I have for 3G and copy+paste on any other smartphone before this? None. I would know, I owned a bunch of them.

4. iPad: It is not mind blowing, but it has become useful and enjoyable to a lot of people, I'm glad it exists.

5. Apple Watch: It literally saves lives. And by being a polished mass-marketed Apple product it does this for more people than any of the competition.

6. Vision Pro: Ergonomically a huge regression over other headsets available for the past several years, not purely because of weight, more about how it's mounted. This should have disqualified this design option from being shipped even as a gen 1. Mind-blowingly disappointing on this front. I can't even use it. No other Apple Product has had a flaw this fundamental yet easily fixable through better industrial design on day 1. I'm not even getting into the bugs and text input hassles or the screen/lens issues that are not really under Apple's control. With antennagate, "don't hold it that way" despite being hilarious, was an actual solution that allowed you to enjoy an otherwise incredible product. There is no "just don't hold it that way" for the Vision Pro. And don't even get me started on the way your necessary physical keyboard for "spatial computing" disappears when you dial in an environment to escape the grainy pass through.

I'm just disappointed that this is all we got, and I'm waiting for a future version. I don't hate where this thing is going at all. I'm just used to Apple meeting or exceeding my expectations. Can I just keep my standards high without being accused of being broke or a negative person?
Being an Apple fan or not is irrelevant. All the devices had issues, concerns when released including iPhone. iPhone sold just over 1 Million devices in 2007. AVP is no different, it will go through iterations. I don’t think Apple will give up on AVP, they just need to keep updating and fix the concerns. Not sure what you expect from a gen 1 device. iPhone was a glorified iPod that could make calls along with a safari on WiFi. It didn’t have 3G, couldn’t do corporate emails, didn’t have an App Store. Keyboard was a big concern with people not used to touch. I use lot of Apple devices but, I don’t expect Apple to excite me or make me happy. I will use what needs my requirement. If Apple doesn’t offer, no big deal, I just don’t get Apple has to fail for me to make me happy or disappointed.

f1vespeed

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2008
Being an Apple fan or not is irrelevant. All the devices had issues, concerns when released including iPhone. iPhone sold just over 1 Million devices in 2007. AVP is no different, it will go through iterations. I don’t think Apple will give up on AVP, they just need to keep updating and fix the concerns. Not sure what you expect from a gen 1 device. iPhone was a glorified iPod that could make calls along with a safari on WiFi. It didn’t have 3G, couldn’t do corporate emails, didn’t have an App Store. Keyboard was a big concern with people not used to touch. I use lot of Apple devices but, I don’t expect Apple to excite me or make me happy. I will use what needs my requirement. If Apple doesn’t offer, no big deal, I just don’t get Apple has to fail for me to make me happy or disappointed.
I hear you. And I included that qualifier because I want Apple to succeed. With time, I know they will.

BellSystem

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2022
Boston, MA
Apple has continued to do better and better and better as the years have gone on. The users of this forum collectively decided that the iPad, Apple Watch, etc, were a miss, only to be wrong time and time again, just like they'll be wrong on this one also.

Apple isn't a perfect hero, and that isn't a claim anyone has made.

I've been using Apple products since the 80's, but the tales of Apple's immediate demise are, as always, overblown.
Ya I’ve been using them since the 80s as well. They can’t win forever. This product is not going to be a win no matter how well it’s made. People don’t want this. It’s a gimmick that does nothing to improve life and furthers the human disconnect that has been increasing since the smartphone.

• Love
Reactions: Bustermd

sunny5

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2021
Our returning poll is like 50% returning rate.. It is a disaster for Apple, and very negative for XR industry…

Reddit poll shows about 20% returning rate…

All with about 200 votes.

Why is it so different?
Only Apples knows. Both Reddit and Macrumors dont represent all users.

Abobrek

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2012
My bad

I don't know why you assume it was *that* particular article I was referring to. But regardless - My Bad it was this one from Bloomberg I read this AM

Still - maybe chill a bit over there pal and don't jump the gun
Nice save. 🤣🤣🤣

Abobrek

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2012
Catch up on your reading. Answered this already:

Sorry, my bad. I have a life other than MR and am enjoying my weekend. Enjoy the forums while I enjoy friends and family!

• Haha
Reactions: OriginalAppleGuy

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003

and yet you trust an online poll that makes no effort to limit to actual owners in a negative community 😂

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
Our returning poll is like 50% returning rate.. It is a disaster for Apple, and very negative for XR industry…

Why is it so different?
Because such polls have no basis in reality. Duh. They are just clickbait. Take a beginning stat class...

Reactions: Dovahkiing

Richuu

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2023

Why is it so different?

Let's over analyze one absurdly unreliable source (online polls with small sample size and skewed demographics) with another: online forums!

I'm sure it'll be plenty insightful. Coming up in next episode of insights weekly: astrology and stocks!

Reactions: arkitect

treacher

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2024
We should wait and see what happens over time; I believe the success of this product is in its early stages. I am eager to see what advancements Apple comes up with.

Last edited:

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
Ya I’ve been using them since the 80s as well. They can’t win forever. This product is not going to be a win no matter how well it’s made. People don’t want this. It’s a gimmick that does nothing to improve life and furthers the human disconnect that has been increasing since the smartphone.

Weird, I love mine. You didn't like yours?

Reactions: Disher

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
Exactly. There are in inordinate amount of posters in these forums who for whatever reason, and I suspect I know why, have been rooting for this device to fail since it was announced. All you have to do is look at the thread where you have people polling others about when, not if, they will recognize the device is DOA when we’re talking about a device that’s only been out there for two weeks that clearly is catering to a very small niche market at this point with Apple only planning on producing and trying to sell 500,000 units globally in 2024. That kind of garbage this early with the return rate nowhere near 50% despite their desire for it to be true tells you all you need to know about them.

I just finished reading Gurman’s article this week which is all about users who are taking there’s back. In it he says what most sane people have been saying. Since Apple doesn’t release the numbers we don’t know exactly what the rate of return is but it appears from his conversations with Apple retail employees to be a higher rate than device like the iPhone and iPad but nowhere near 50% of total devices sold. With some stores having days with no returns, other stores having days seeing one or two returns a day and others seeing a higher number on certain days in the stores with the highest amount of daily traffic but even on the worst days we’re talking less than 10 per day. That seems to be the general consensus that I’ve read in similar articles as well. It varies from store to store, is higher than it is for most devices which is to be expected, but nowhere near some massive failure with a 50% return rate or anything approaching those levels.

You can bet there were a number of users, particularly reviewers and content creators looking for a subject matter that’ll draw eyeballs and those users who wanted a take a look at the device so they could be one of the first to have one, who purchased the device but never seriously intended to keep it. I’ll be very interesting to see what that return rate looks like a week from now moving forward after everybody who rushed to get their hands on one as early as possible hits that two week window. I’m willing to bet the return rate drops from where it is today after those who were never likely to keep it in the first place but still wanted to be among the first to get one out of the gate are past their return window.

What is your suspicion? Mine is they are paid plants trying to move early perception as early perception is more prone to manipulation. Humans and bots on a vendetta to form public perception in the forums outward to the greater masses. What doesnt add up is Reddit is also targeted in this regard, and I thought more so as this site might be more under the radar. Then again, if you are getting competent manipulators, you know what and where to do it.

Moreover, I have seen poll manipulation in little traveled sites. Where people tor In with multiple votes to get ”their team” to “win”. Sometimes it’s just pettiness and not paid for. People just want to be petty and force an outcome to their world view and will mess with votes on basically meaningless polls to make their desired outcome appear.

Not to mention many of the polls here are completely slanted in their wording, ie, 4 options of “I hate AVP really really really a lot” down to “I just hate it,” and one option of “I’m ok with it”. The slant of the questions themselves shows the crazy bias itself.

I normally read most techy threads here and started in some of those threads, but they all were so toxic and contrary to my experience I unfollowed them. I suspect others unsubscribed or didn’t bother with those threads as well. I think people here are savvy enough to know when to pull the eject or to avoid such threads, and that ends up leaving a concentration of negative voters to foment in their own stew.

Last edited:
Reactions: Regulus67

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I'm one of them. My concern isn't about wanting Apple to fail; it's about the negative impact of such technology on real-life interactions. AVP represents a Wall-E future where we're extremely isolated by our devices.

I recognize that Apple has the capability to make this product a success. Trouble is, success here is akin to that of an opium den. I understand that this technological shift might be inevitable, I can't help but feel a sense of loss for the simplicity of experiencing the world directly, without a digital intermediary.

My take is, tech companies must always be Crossing the Chasm, and where there is technological innovation there just needs to be the marketing prowess to sell it to the masses.

Everything about AVP is simply gross, the dad looking at his children’s birthday is astonishingly dystopian. All dressed up and presented as something we should want. Apple is the greatest marketing company in history, I don’t think they’re going to lose.

So yeah, I’m rooting for it to fail, but I’m not delusional enough to think it actually will.

Once again, we all should fully realize that a Vpro buyer doesn't have to live in the thing 24:7 or 16:7. In fact, they can't because the battery life is only up to 2.5 hours. A Vpro is not glued to a buyers head, nor permanently affixed, etc. Owner can decide when to put it on and take it off... such as when they are needing great focus to get something done or just need some "me time" entertainment vs. when they are in a social setting where it makes complete sense to remove Vpro, take off the headphone/buds, remove the sunglasses, put away iPhone/iPad/laptop, etc. All this other tech that tends to grab our complete attention for upwards of hours each day does not necessarily intrude upon our social experiences. Why? Because there is a time to use any such tech and a time to not use it. Owners of any such tech have no trouble of knowing when it makes sense to use it. Some of us seem to imagine that this particular thing almost forces us all to eventually be in "goggles" 16:7. Even iPhone doesn't completely hold anyone's attention 16:7.

Dad shooting kids birthday party is wanting to have a re-playable record of the party. How else can he do it? The "normal" way is to position a phone or tablet between his eyes and his children (a rectangular brick/wall is better???) or the traditional way: hold a camcorder up to an eye and film from about the same positions and focus on capturing great video of the moment. Dad's eyes are just as "covered" with that phone between him and his kids (the kids can't see through the phone) or ONE of Dad's eyes is covered if he's using a camcorder... if not both if he's using the camcorder's screen instead of looking through the eyepiece.

Where's the "creepy" in using an iDevice to capture the party? Where's the outrage in using a camcorder? Or super 8 before that? or 35mm silent before that? If there is to be a long-term (video) capture of important life events, SOMEONE must be the camera-person. And that person is then focused on some tech to try to record the moment as good as they can instead of being as present in the moment with their own pure focus on the moment itself. That "Dad" or "Mom" or "other" makes a bit of a sacrifice in such moments for the benefit of being able to revisit it many times in the future.

I have gathered TONS of home video shot by relatives and myself... some captured long before I was born. There's at least 200-250 videos in this collection. I treasure them greatly, as they bring many long-since-dead loved ones as back to life as possible in ways far superior to a photograph. Family loves to watch them and talk about the "good old days" when <name> was still alive and when <name> did this or that (story). How much of that would exist if someone who was there did not position at least one of their eyes behind a bit of tech to capture it? NONE. Just about every "family video" you've ever enjoyed is able to be enjoyed because someone back then positioned some kind of technology of the day between their eyes and the event to record it. Every movie/TV show we watch & enjoy is able to be watched because LOTS of people positioned themselves behind technology to capture the "live play" on video/film. Ever sit through the credits at the end of a movie? The vast majority of those hundreds of names that scroll by were not at any of the spots where actors acting was caught on film/video. Instead, they work with tech to add/improve/fix something some other "creepy" camera-person captured who was there in person.

When we objectively read about people's take on spatial video, we typically read comments like "more real than any other kind of video I've ever seen" often accompanied with powerful words like "emotional", etc... and then "I can't wait to capture <next trip, event, etc> in spatial." If it is going to become something that can take viewers back to such moments more like being there than anything else (before someone invents a time travel device to actually go back), the value in capturing such video is only going to grow with passage of time. "We" can't see much value in it now because it is so new, but wait 10 years when there will be no coming back from 2034 to capture big moments in 2024 in this way. Baby's first steps can't be recaptured in 2024. Christmas 2024 can't be re-staged in 2034 or 2044. Thanksgiving. Easter. That time we surprised Aunt Helen with that <gift>? Child learning to ride a bicycle? First day in our new home? That big vacation to <somewhere great>? Etc. None of it can be recaptured in the future when we get over our biases about the tech medium doing the capturing.

As my own FAM and I watch videos of loved ones who were lost as early as the 1970s-1980s, we're often watching blurry/pixelated video because, in spite of it being the best that people could capture at the time, is far inferior to 2024 playback screens at 4K today. How great would it be to be able to recapture all such moments with latest/greatest tech at today's or tomorrow's quality/capability!!! It is terribly unfortunate that that is IMPOSSIBLE- whatever quality we have is all we'll ever have of such events. How lucky we are that someone chose to somewhat separate themselves from the event with some kind of tech of the day to capture video we now enjoy over and over all these years later!

If spatial becomes a favorite way to revisit big moments, those who did the "creepy"/"dystopian" thing will ultimately be glad they did... so that the moments they captured can be enjoyed in decades to come in a way that goes beyond what has been possible until now. I don't know if that is "worse" then separating themselves from the scene with a little "wall" in their hands or a bigger camcorder form factor in one hand. But my advice to anyone is always the same: capture every big moment at the best possible quality you can... because there's no coming back later to capture it then. If spatial is superior to any 2D capture now, capture all such moments in spatial. You'll thank yourself a hundred times in the coming decades when what can seem like only little moments now becomes priceless treasures with passage of time.

All that shared, I too am disappointed in this tech for this purpose as I would much rather capture a 360˚ view vs. a bit of a roughly circular patch only out front. Vpro playback would then allow wearer to look all around, up & down like they are a ghost actually at the event and see whatever they want to see... like this...

If you are not familiar with this tech, when the video plays, click-hold down-drag around to look wherever you want to look at this party from "Dad's" vantage point. In Vpro, instead of click & hold, you could just look wherever you want. This requires a different kind of camera tech which sometimes looks like a sphere and captures video all around. "Dad" could potentially wear the sphere camera on top of his head or mount it on a tripod to capture the party. Future Dad & Mom and the Kids and anyone else interested in "re-visiting" that party could then look anywhere around at the party with a device like Vpro.

I'll guess that this will come in a future Vpro evolution. Else, those "Dads" who want to capture big events will buy themselves a great VR360˚ camera for shooting such events and then later enjoy them with tech like future incarnations of Vpro, Oculus, XReal, etc.

Last edited:

Tdevilsg

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2021
If you're comparing the AVP sub reddit specifically you're going to get a very niche group of vision pro fans who are passionate about the product. It's a different subset than if you are comparing the general apple reddit who have more mixed feelings on the device although a much larger group of people. I wrote a reasonable thread on the AVP sub reddit explaining what I liked and disliked about it but because it was slightly negative (with me explaining why I ultimately returned it because of the weight, comfort, convenience etc) I got downvoted.

Unfortunately the reddit format is conducive to echo chamber thinking, more specifically with the subreddits as they are fans of the device itself.

Last edited:
Reactions: ZombiePhysicist

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
I think it's safe to assume polls or no polls that the AVP has a high return rate versus other products. How that changes the way Apple develops and/or markets this product in the future remains to be seen.

Lift Bar

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2023
You underestimate Apple's ability to shape public thinking. The vast majority of consumers rationalize their decisions after the fact; they don't reason themselves into their purchases. Apple is acutely aware of this psychological nuance and leverages it to their advantage.

Apple's marketing has already convinced many here that it's good to have goggles strapped to your head at a child's birthday, selling us on bizarre features like cartoon animations on the front as "your eyes." It's absurd. People here equate this with a pager, phone, or tablet… IT'S STRAPPED TO YOUR FACE! They can't see how weird and creepy this device is to any normal person.

It's all part of the “Crossing the Chasm" concept. The MacRumors forum represents the visionaries and early adopters in the technology adoption lifecycle. Over time, as Apple refines its marketing and technology, we'll see broader adoption, moving beyond these initial groups.

Reactions: ZombiePhysicist

BellSystem

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2022
Boston, MA
You underestimate Apple's ability to shape public thinking. The vast majority of consumers rationalize their decisions after the fact; they don't reason themselves into their purchases. Apple is acutely aware of this psychological nuance and leverages it to their advantage.

Apple's marketing has already convinced many here that it's good to have goggles strapped to your head at a child's birthday, selling us on bizarre features like cartoon animations on the front as "your eyes." It's absurd. People here equate this with a pager, phone, or tablet… IT'S STRAPPED TO YOUR FACE! They can't see how weird and creepy this device is to any normal person.

It's all part of the “Crossing the Chasm" concept. The MacRumors forum represents the visionaries and early adopters in the technology adoption lifecycle. Over time, as Apple refines its marketing and technology, we'll see broader adoption, moving beyond these initial groups.
Visionaries LOL. Hardly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.