Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gcans

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Some one help me out on this, i'm trying to convince my friend that it's a good purchase. I bought one because i'm finally upgrading from the first generation iPad, so for me, i'm getting upgraded specs in a smaller form factor. He keeps going on about specs, i'm telling him it's not just about specs. If you have really good specs but a ****** UI, whats the point of buying the product. What do you think?

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
First off the biggest selling point of Apple products over any other tablet is resale value. You will get a lot more from reselling an iPad than any other tablet.

As far as your friend goes, it all depends if iOS or Android matters to him or her. If your friend doesn't care then yeah it's a hard sell convincing someone to pay $329 vs $199. ;)

I own both platforms and I wanted to buy a Mini but I can't justify the value even as a multiple iPad owner. I will probably get a Mini sometime down the road but only when the specs justify the price.

JohnnyAndre

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
California
Can't get a cellular 7 inch tablet anywhere else... But now were talking a $250 premium. Honestly, apple haters will be apple haters pretty much no matter what. They won't even try the product, just bitch about specs all day.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Some one help me out on this, i'm trying to convince my friend that it's a good purchase. I bought one because i'm finally upgrading from the first generation iPad, so for me, i'm getting upgraded specs in a smaller form factor. He keeps going on about specs, i'm telling him it's not just about specs. If you have really good specs but a ****** UI, whats the point of buying the product. What do you think?

It's all about the apps...

Peter Harrison

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2009
UK

Help you convince your friends that you made the right choice? :confused: I'd just tell him your reasons. He can agree or disagree, whatever.

It's a good choice for some, not for others. It depends what you want. I used to do a lot of productive work on my iPad, but now I only want to use it for reading and browsing since I have a very portable laptop. I find the iPad a bit heavy, but it was worth it for such a great device. Now that I don't need so much screen real estate and I won't type often, I'd rather have the smaller form factor. Some of alternative small tablets are very good. The Nexus 7 is very nice. But I prefer the idea of a slightly bigger screen on the mini and I prefer the App Store over the Play Store. I have good apps ready to go and I even have some credit to use in the store. The build quality is always superior on iPads too, so I'm assuming the iPad mini will be much the same.

If I wasn't such a big fan of the apps available on Apple devices, and I didn't mind the device being a little thicker and heavier, I'd definitely get a Nexus 7. For me, the exact specs aren't as important as how they come together to make a good user experience. I prefer using the iPad than Android tablets and I prefer the apps. That along with the size and weight of the mini makes it preferable for me. But I can see why others would prefer an alternative. Nobody is right or wrong here, we all have our reasons. If you're struggling to find a good reason to buy, then you probably shouldn't... but you did. So maybe you know exactly why you bought it, but can't find good reasons your friend will accept. Well **** him, he didn't pay for it. If he prefers higher specs on a smaller tablet he can go get a Nexus 7 with his money. Whatever.

gcans

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
First off the biggest selling point of Apple products over any other tablet is resale value. You will get a lot more from reselling an iPad than any other tablet.

As far as your friend goes, it all depends if iOS or Android matters to him or her. If your friend doesn't care then yeah it's a hard sell convincing someone to pay $329 vs $199. ;)

I own both platforms and I wanted to buy a Mini but I can't justify the value even as a multiple iPad owner. I will probably get a Mini sometime down the road but only when the specs justify the price.

Yeah he's in the middle. For me it isn't about price, it's the feel of the OS and how fluid everything is. I've never had a problem with any of Apple's products and I trust that what I am buying will be a great product as well. I just don't see why the specs are a big deal. Sure it has specs that are older, but like I said before i'm not paying for specs.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011

In my experience, the higher resale value of Apple products get, more or less, canceled out by their higher entry price. It's definitely easier to sell Apple products, though.

MisterDisney

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
Budget minded or looking for the best overall experience? It also helps if you're already invested in iTunes, iOS. If you're already in the Android ecosystem, that will probably be a big factor as well.

Apps are the single biggest selling point to someone just coming in, though. Then the design and feel of the individual devices.

Do you want hundreds of thousands of apps to choose from or thousands? And on iPad, these are native to the device and provide a far richer (again...) experience.

R1PPER

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2008
I have over 900 apps, so it makes sense staying with apple. I also dont want any more random software installed on my mac. If i was PC only or starting from scratch i would probably go Nexus 7 or Fire HD.

MisterDisney

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
From scratch would be tougher. Probably Nexus 7. Because buying an Android device that doesn't have Nexus in the name, has never worked out well for me. I don't recommend it. It really is the the best possible Android experience. Just like saying I'd take a Galaxy Nexus, still, over an SIII.

gcans

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Just to clear things up, i'm trying to convince my friend to buy one. He's in the market for a small tablet as well.

seong

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
Honestly, it's totally up to your friend's taste.
I, for one, am an iOS user ever since 2007 iPod touch 1st gen, so iOS's look&feel and ecosystem is like second nature for me.
If your friend has an Android phone and loves it, then he would prefer an Nexus 7 or Amazon Kindle Fire. If your friend hates it, then suggest him/her to go with iPad mini (and return it in 14-days if your friend doesn't like it.)

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
Apps, bigger screen(7.9" vs. 7"), be able to use Apple TV, the iOS experience overall, already have other apple products and want to stay in the ecosystem. I'm in the same boat, thinking about upgrading from my iPad 1 to a mini.

gcans

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Honestly, it's totally up to your friend's taste.
I, for one, am an iOS user ever since 2007 iPod touch 1st gen, so iOS's look&feel and ecosystem is like second nature for me.
If your friend has an Android phone and loves it, then he would prefer an Nexus 7 or Amazon Kindle Fire. If your friend hates it, then suggest him/her to go with iPad mini (and return it in 14-days if your friend doesn't like it.)

He recently bought an iPhone, he was originally an android user but he finally broke. He thinks all other ios products are expensive pieces of ****. I'm telling him other wise. The worst part is he has never used any other product besides the iPhone and refuses to try something new.

mwulf67

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2011
He recently bought an iPhone, he was originally an android user but he finally broke. He thinks all other ios products are expensive pieces of ****. I'm telling him other wise. The worst part is he has never used any other product besides the iPhone and refuses to try something new.

I think you just need to accept the fact your friends thinks you're idiot who buys expensive pieces of ****...friends can have worse disagreements...:)

Last edited:

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
If they have an iPhone, then that's a great reason to stay with Apple. Common apps (most paid are a single purchase), common UI for easily moving between them, shared resources like iCloud (Photostream, Notes, Reminders), same service mechanism/location.

Grab an AppleTV and they can easily enjoy many these perks on a big display :)

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island

I don't get it. Am I weird in that, as a consumer, I buy things to use, not to resell.

Technology and motor vehicles, I use them until they cannot be used any more, and then they are off to the scrappy.

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
just go watch the apple keynote from oct.23 and go to around the 53 minute mark where they start comparing the same apps on an android and a mini! That was enough right there for me to get my first ipad. I just gave my son my iconia a500 and can't wait for my mini to get here....

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
- Bigger screen
- Camera
- Runs iOS

Bottom line is the iPad Mini is the cheapest tablet that runs iOS. It sounds like he already has iOS and doesn't like it, so he should buy something else. Or if I misunderstood...

- He can use Messages on his iPhone and iPad and the messages will be kept in sync
- He can tether from his iPad to iPhone via Bluetooth... not sure if you can do that with other tablets to his iPhone
- Any apps he buys on one will appear on the other automatically
- Any music he has on one can appear on the other automatically

Why anyone would want a split ecosystem is more bizarre to me than people touting price and specs on the Mini.

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
It has a very decent front and back camera, the best selection of software and accessories, and a larger screen than other small tablets.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
Help you convince your friends that you made the right choice? :confused: I'd just tell him your reasons. He can agree or disagree, whatever.

It's a good choice for some, not for others. It depends what you want. I used to do a lot of productive work on my iPad, but now I only want to use it for reading and browsing since I have a very portable laptop. I find the iPad a bit heavy, but it was worth it for such a great device. Now that I don't need so much screen real estate and I won't type often, I'd rather have the smaller form factor. Some of alternative small tablets are very good. The Nexus 7 is very nice. But I prefer the idea of a slightly bigger screen on the mini and I prefer the App Store over the Play Store. I have good apps ready to go and I even have some credit to use in the store. The build quality is always superior on iPads too, so I'm assuming the iPad mini will be much the same.

If I wasn't such a big fan of the apps available on Apple devices, and I didn't mind the device being a little thicker and heavier, I'd definitely get a Nexus 7. For me, the exact specs aren't as important as how they come together to make a good user experience. I prefer using the iPad than Android tablets and I prefer the apps. That along with the size and weight of the mini makes it preferable for me. But I can see why others would prefer an alternative. Nobody is right or wrong here, we all have our reasons. If you're struggling to find a good reason to buy, then you probably shouldn't... but you did. So maybe you know exactly why you bought it, but can't find good reasons your friend will accept. Well **** him, he didn't pay for it. If he prefers higher specs on a smaller tablet he can go get a Nexus 7 with his money. Whatever.

Excellent advice. There is no universally best device...it all depends on the individual needs.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
Your Decision

Only you can determine (it's your money) which platform will work for you. However I found some information you may find useful ;)

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Because you really do see more of the webpage which translates into less scrolling.

attachment.php

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.