Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CapnJackGig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2011
You shouldnt buy a Mini over the others if you value a great image at a great price. Two things you'll never get from the first Mini.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Again as someone said - what is important to you rather than what is best. If you only are going to read books and never run apps - then iPad probably isn't best. If you have 900 apps (and I can't imagine having that many or using all but a small %) and apps are what is important than there really is no choice.

I don't buy anything like this on the basis of resale. I generally keep things a while and don't consider selling things like this. As someone said if you balance original cost vs. resale you still might be paying more.
Your friend needs to decide what they want in a tablet and what they want to do with one. Then pick the best for that purpose.

pasadena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
Seattle, WA
Specs are only important if you compare them to your actual needs. So : why do you want to buy an iPad mini ?

If you want an example, here is why I'm having one. I've been wanting a tablet for some time now. My primary use would be browsing, reading, emails, some apps.

Never bought the iPad because it was to big and heavy *for me*. I did buy an Android 10-incher in January. With killer specs at the time. I ended up getting a refund because for all its beauty it was not that good quality, and the display wasn't working well (for $600, gasp). Plus, Android didn't really blow me away. Ever since, I've been in a limbo. iPad still to bulky and heavy. Other tablets running Android, which didn't really impress me (I love it for phones, not so much for tablets).

7-inchers ? Too small :p and most of them are made more for low price than small footprint. They're cheap, in more ways than one. The Nexus 7 DOES feel cheap to me. I guess I just don't like plastic. The Fire ? It's not a tablet, it's a shopwindow for Amazon, and doesn't get much more cheap than thatAnd it's small, but still manages to be bulky. But most of all, they're just a bit too small.

But that's me, based on my tastes and intended use. I don't need a powerhouse in a tablet. Numbers are great but they're just that. You have to ask whether your device will actually USE it.

The Mini just fits all I wanted in a tablet. A screen size right in the middle between "too small" and "too big", an overall size and weight near perfect for ultimate portability and readability, thin and light enough so I can just forget it (like my kindle), a nice camera, and a "just works" OS that has 0 learning curve for me, and a gazillion apps to choose from.

I don't care that it doesn't have a peta-core CPU and NASA-like graphic power that it doesn't need. I'm a specs junkie for my laptop. Not for my tablet. Because I just don't need it.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Honestly, you can't convince your friend not to buy 7" android.

Because Ipad mini is the same market as Ipad. You can convince someone who want to buy Ipad to switch to Ipad mini but for those who aimed for Nexus 7 for example are into cheaper price of tablet and accessories market.

Its totally different. Especially if he or she is into reading books, the screen on 7inch has more resolution. Ipad mini screen is a joke and only good for gaming i think or you will have to pinch zoom twice to actually be able to read comments on Macrumors.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Some one help me out on this, i'm trying to convince my friend that it's a good purchase. I bought one because i'm finally upgrading from the first generation iPad, so for me, i'm getting upgraded specs in a smaller form factor. He keeps going on about specs, i'm telling him it's not just about specs. If you have really good specs but a ****** UI, whats the point of buying the product. What do you think?

Some times there is no convincing spec ghouls. They can't see past the numbers to see efficiency or ease of use.

cfs112

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012
it comes down to 2 things:

1) iPad specific apps (250,000). android marketplace doesn't have that many tablet apps, mostly phone apps that need to be stretched out on the tablet.

2) usability. I got a free Nexus 7 tablet for attending the google I/O conference this year, I played with it for a week and did not enjoy using it as much as the iPad. that pretty much solved it for me. i liked the smaller size and i knew that the iPad mini would be a great fit.

911turbo

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2011
You shouldnt buy a Mini over the others if you value a great image at a great price. Two things you'll never get from the first Mini.

Simple: Its Apple... I wont substitute good looking apple devices for some cheap Android plastic gadgets

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
Can't get a cellular 7 inch tablet anywhere else... But now were talking a $250 premium. Honestly, apple haters will be apple haters pretty much no matter what. They won't even try the product, just bitch about specs all day.

The Google Nexus 7 32GB comes in wifi + cellular for $299. Not sure what you are referring to?

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
Just to clear things up, i'm trying to convince my friend to buy one. He's in the market for a small tablet as well.

Hey, you made the effort. Whatever he ends up with is his choice. If he goes with cheaper and loves it then what's the harm? If he hates it then you can smugly say you tried to advise him,

ZivaD

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2012
Look at the devices and make a decision based on your own opinions after deciding which is best suited to your needs or which one you like the most.
Don't let others tell you which to get, too many people get swayed by the mob and end up feeling the need to justify their decisions to anyone who will listen or the internet, I have a transformer user friend that is constantly telling me about how good/cheaper it is/was compared to the iPad, it's currently away getting repaired, again.

I was impressed with a nexus (Samsung I think) 7" tablet recently of a colleague, but only by the weight and the size, I couldn't get on with the operating system, down to exposure no doubt, made me want the mini as soon as I saw it, same iPad but smaller :)

Lampmeister

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2009
Fort Worth
Some one help me out on this, i'm trying to convince my friend that it's a good purchase.
The short and sweet of it is that Apple makes quality products that will provide years of service, whereas the other manufacturers, all of them, make their stuff as inexpensive as possible, quality be damned.

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
iPad Mini for sure. You have to buy apps twice if you're in Android eco system where as most iOS apps are design for both iPad and iPhone. Pay once you get both versions.
And Apple stores are convenient if you need warranty support. Where would you go to answer about warranty and repair for Google device? Asus? Google?

pasadena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
Seattle, WA
Just to clear things up, i'm trying to convince my friend to buy one. He's in the market for a small tablet as well.

Then I'd say, it's his call. No point in him buying something he doesn't want just because you'd make a different choice.

But if I were hesitating, I'd wait until Friday to have a hands-on with both the mini and the nexus. That's what's great with apple store. You can try the heck out of their devices in store. Specs are one thing, but they're not what set them apart. It's the OS first, because they're totally different, then the look and *feel* of the device. How does it feel when you're actually holding it, and using it.

Then how fluid it is based on one's use of it.

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
No need to convince them on anything. Let them try out the devices side by side and decide. For some other tablets will be better and for others iPad Mini will be the best choice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.