Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iWho?

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
Well, basicaly what the title says. I'm into graphics and audio recording, I have used windows and linux, mostly windows though, and it's perfect for me so i'm wondering what attracts people to macs and what i should explore?

thanks.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
iWho? said:
Well, basicaly what the title says. I'm into graphics and audio recording, I have used windows and linux, mostly windows though, and it's perfect for me so i'm wondering what attracts people to macs and what i should explore?

thanks.

As the old Sinatra song says:

"If they asked me, I could write a book... "

And many many many people have written books on your simple question, so to answer it seems like I should get a publisher's advance or something. ;)

Do a little homework.

iWho?

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
sorry, i wasn't specific enough.

With the OS/security etc etc aside, only talking CPUs, because of the new switch to intel, is there any reason to switch.

but i have looked at why people use macs and mostly they say that they "like how it works and stuff" :D

but apart from those people, i have heard good things about security and the interface. However, i have never had one bit of trouble in security with windows, so that's why i was asking.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
The best reason is because you want to own one. Now if you want good reasons to own one there is a ton.

If your only talking about the CPU no. there are dells that offer with the same chips. As your title states, and most people on here will tell you, most people buy an Apple computer, because of the Macintosh OS.

MacAficionado

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2002
An awesome place
It is really difficult to accurately describe what working on a Mac is like. You have to experience it for a long time to realize how good it is.
For example, sometimes I'm doing something and remember the old days when I was using Windows, and I'm just so grateful that the OS does not give me any hassles or gets in the way of what I want to do.
I still try to do some things on a PC, and it just seems so retarded, it is not funny.
Plus once you get used to the interface, Windows looks awful.

Little things like pressing ctrl+cmd+D in Safari and get the Dictionary meaning if the word the cursor is over is really cool. But like I said, it is something you have to experience.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
iWho? said:
mostly windows though, and it's perfect for me

I thought Windows was great until I started using OS X. You don't appreciate how awful Windows is until you've used something better.

iWho?

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
oh i've used it plenty of times.

the whole file system is a mess and the interface is a bit too "dumbed down" for me. It just seems too slow and clunky. I've found it gets in my way by thinking it knows what i want to do, when it really doesn't.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Nermal said:
I thought Windows was great until I started using OS X. You don't appreciate how awful Windows is until you've used something better.

Couldn't have said it better myself. The Mac was nothing more than different from Windows when I first started using it. Now that I've used it nearly exclusively for over a year and feel perfectly comfortable with OS X, using Windows really frustrates me. It's just really poorly thought out, inefficient, and ugly. You don't really realize it though until you've used something else. FWIW, I also use Linux and I know some people will not like me saying this, but it's worse than Windows. Linux is great if you want to spend 80% of your time on the computer messing around trying to solve obscure problems using the command line (I truly enjoy that sometimes), but it's near useless for getting real work done.

Blackheart

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2004
Seattle
iWho? said:

the whole file system is a mess and the interface is a bit too "dumbed down" for me. It just seems too slow and clunky. I've found it gets in my way by thinking it knows what i want to do, when it really doesn't.

Then don't get one, simple as that.

iWho?

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
Then don't get one, simple as that.

sorry, i was mostly wondering about hardware advantages.

i guess my question has been answered.

1hot5.0

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2005
iWho? said:

Are you referring to Mac OS or Windows? :confused:

Blackheart

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2004
Seattle
iWho? said:
sorry, i was mostly wondering about hardware advantages.

i guess my question has been answered.

Well let's say, for the sake of argument, that the Macintosh platform was 2x as fast as any Windows or Linux machine... if the OS doesn't work the way you want an OS to work, it doesn't matter.

Conversely, you may notice that there are a lot of Mac users that don't care about the hardware. Why? Because even if the Windows or Linux machines were 2x faster, they don't like the way the OS works.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
iWho? said:

This is the classic argument you hear from a Windows user who has used the Mac occasionally for short periods of time but isn't really familiar with it. I used to say the same thing when I had only used modern Macs a few times in the labs at school. The Mac interface is not dumbed down at all. Elegant, simple, intuitive and powerful, but not dumbed down. The file system is not a mess, I find that the Mac's file system is laid out much more logically than Windows. The use of the home folder is more strongly encouraged, which is a good thing. Also, all Applications go in the same folder by default, and it's called the "Applications" folder. Clunky and slow are words I'd use to describe Windows.

A friend (a Windows user) was over and I was helping him record a CD of himself singing using Garageband on my Power Mac. My Power Mac is a dual 1.8 GHz G5. It's fast, but not incredibly so, especially compared to many Windows machines. Anyway, I was using several different apps including Garageband, iTunes, Toast, Photoshop and a CD label design program I have. I was using Exposé and cmd-tab to switch between apps as I usually do, and using a lot of drag and drop to quickly move data and files between apps. After a few minutes my friend said, "Wow! This is way faster than Windows ever is." He isn't by any means a power user, but he knows how to use a computer. The reason he said that is because he could see that the OS X UI is much more efficient than Windows and stays out of the way to let the user get the job done, resulting in a real time advantage when doing work.

iWho?

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
well, The windows file system can be a huge mess by users who don't know what they're doing. I've dealt with computers that are so loaded with crap that they bearly function. However, someone who knows a bit about PCs can keep their computer running very efficiently. I do think the OS X is obscure to begin with, but there is certainly less of a variable in how messed up macs can be. What i'm saying is, it's harder for the average user to mess up a mac. I think the cause for this is that windows is used by the majority of people, not because it's a "worse" operating system.

and it's called the "Applications" folder
applications and programs are basicaly the same thing, and windows has a "program files folder"

i think the reason mac os is faster on the average user's computer is that less programs are written to attack mac os, simply because it's the minority. An interesting point is brought up here The reason his machine is faster than others is because he know a fair amount about PCs, it's not that the OS itself is to blame, it's usually the user.

Malfoy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
iWho? said:

For you Mr. Who, software. I'm like you sortive. I own around 5 x86 machines and the mac listed in my profile. Why'd I get it? I like Final Cut Studio, Creative Suite 2, and now Aperture/Lightroom ON ONE MACHINE. The OS is good, do I think it's the holy grail that a lot of these people say it is? Nope. But I don't think Windows or Linux(any distro) is either. If your system is stable as can be (both software and hardware) and you have the apps you like available to you on that platform, you have no reason to get a mac and you should save your money.

iWho?

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
Do I smell a troll?

umm. Just because i am putting up a decent argument doesn't mean i'm a troll. If i took every word i was told seriously without exploring it i would be a very ignorant little man. I'd like to explore the mac-world before dropping 1500 bucks on a iMac that my 800 dollar opty would own ;)

moving onto some more relavent information...

If your system is stable as can be (both software and hardware) and you have the apps you like available to you on that platform, you have no reason to get a mac and you should save your money.

thank you, i was just looking around with the new options of a different OS.

Blackheart

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2004
Seattle
iWho? said:
umm. Just because i am putting up a decent argument doesn't mean i'm a troll. If i took every word i was told seriously without exploring it i would be a very ignorant little man. I'd like to explore the mac-world before dropping 1500 bucks on a iMac that my 800 dollar opty would own ;)

You've already expressed your distaste for the platform. I don't view you as "exploring [the mac]".

iWho? said:

DaveP

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2005
One thing that irks me about Mac hardware and could be a consideration is that unless you get a PowerMac your upgrading and expanding capabilities are really limited (and even somewhat limited on a PowerMac). I don't know if upgrading is your thing or not. There is something to be said with not having to hassle with drivers and BIOS settings and stuff like that, so maybe not being able to touch things is preferred for some people. Personally, I like that I can open up my Windows box and change things around.

With regards to hardware performance, with the new Intels, who really knows yet. I was of the opinion that the PowerPC stuff of the last couple years was incredibly overpriced for what you got. I have faith the new chips will put Apple near the top of the speed curve.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Maybe rephrase the question. Do you deserve a Mac? I'm just playing, Macs are great because they're stable, intuitive and predictable, among other things.

iWho?

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
You've already expressed your distaste for the platform. I don't view you as "exploring [the mac]".

well, i was obviously missing something because people seem to really like the mac os, so i was asking you guys to shed some light upon it. But, if you don't want to, then i guess that is your choice. However, other users have been very helpful and have brought up points about the OS that i had not thought about, you however, have not done that. Anyway, if i hated macintosh as much as you say i do, i probably wouldn't own an iPod or use Macs.

But thank you everyone else for helping me with my question.

hehehe and mad jew, silly silly silly, thanks for your opinion anyway.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Blackheart said:

Yeah, I agree, he's just trolling for an old hat argument.

What I saw in Jobs' presentation last night was that Apple is strategizing a warfare of excellence. And it starts with the Mac OS, which is what started the war in the first place when Windoze copied it and now can't get around its decades old limitations and security problems.

What goes around, comes around, and I think SJobs knows that his Mac OS is about to dethrone Windoze. But he's playing it like a good General should: conservative with his resources while taking first high ground.

This troll's snippy arguments just made me realize that. Thanks.

DaveP

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2005
I'd lay off the guy. I'll take him at his word that he is interested in getting a Mac and unless you you got money to burn, your budget can take a big hit. He hasn't really unfairly trashed Apple in any way, though negative comments are not always taken so well. And honestly, I will agree with his point that the number one reason Windows is slow is that users don't know what they are doing and there is tons of crap bogging it down. My Windows machine works very well, honestly maybe more stable than my Mac. But then again I am totally paranoid with my Windows machine and load tons of crap on my Mac:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.