Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamescwarren

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2005
Isle of Man
GET A MAC NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THEY ARE MORE RELIABLE THAN WINDOWS, THEY DO NOT GET VIRUS'S, THEY LOOK NICER, AND THEY ARE BETTER FOR CREATIVE PURPOSES. GO AND GET THE MacBook Pro!!!! It's is brill and it has the brand new Intel dual core processors in it. Go and get one now

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
jamescwarren said:
GET A MAC NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THEY ARE MORE RELIABLE THAN WINDOWS, THEY DO NOT GET VIRUS'S, THEY LOOK NICER, AND THEY ARE BETTER FOR CREATIVE PURPOSES. GO AND GET THE MacBook Pro!!!! It's is brill and it has the brand new Intel dual core processors in it. Go and get one now
Well done, that should convince the guy.

Why should you get a Mac? In the back of your mind you've already made up your mind, and are stalling on acting upon that decision. People here will not be revealing anything you don't probably already know.
So, the question you should be asking is, Which Mac should I buy?

bugfaceuk

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2005
iWho? said:
Well, basicaly what the title says. I'm into graphics and audio recording, I have used windows and linux, mostly windows though, and it's perfect for me so i'm wondering what attracts people to macs and what i should explore?

thanks.

The irony for me is, I didn't know why I would want one until about 3 months after I bought it.

I convinced myself I needed a Mac Mini to "try it out", I'm now a Mac Junkie, hopeless addicted and in love with computing again for the first time since 1995.

It's vague but I would sum it up as "makes computers interesting again".

danp

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2005
Cambridge, UK
iWho? said:
Well, basicaly what the title says. I'm into graphics and audio recording, I have used windows and linux, mostly windows though, and it's perfect for me so i'm wondering what attracts people to macs and what i should explore?

The OS is perhaps the main, tangible benefit. Mac OS X includes a number of excellent built-in techologies that help you with day-to-day management of files and applications. Expose, the Dock, Spotlight and Dashboard are key examples of this, and you can read more about these at http://www.apple.com/macosx/. Windows XP simply does not offer these out of the box, whilst third party tools incur additional costs, and aren't as well integrated to the core OS.

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
Nermal said:
You don't appreciate how awful Windows is until you've used something better.
I like that. appreciate how awful Windows is...Isn't that an oxymoron? :p I totally agree though. If you want a good reason to buy a Mac, look no further than OS X. The hardware is just icing on the cake.

oo5yolo10

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2006
One word me boy...."ladies"....our machines look amazing. Chilling in the coffee shops with the backlit apple screen on an all white beauty hummin along like theres no tomorrow. These babies rock, whether laptop or desktop. I was talking to a guy at work yesterday and we are exact opposites about everything, I am the scrubby hockey-player looking jock that listens to Dave matthews more than anyone I know and he is the typical "computer nerd", but something connects people with macs that is very strange. we have our own little "cult" of mac fans. And we were saying the "once you go mac, you never go back" junk, and it is so true. it hooks you in, with all the programs, the layout, the future of the company and just how it seems like a company that cares about what they make, and they want to make the best product possible, and it shows!

Dane D.

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
ohio
It works.

oh i've used it plenty of times.the whole file system is a mess and the interface is a bit too "dumbed down" for me. It just seems too slow and clunky. I've found it gets in my way by thinking it knows what i want to do, when it really doesn't.

No, the Windows file system is a mess. Until you use a Mac everyday, you won't realize how awful Windows is. As for hardware lets just say that the cheapest bidder rules the Windows world.

AndyR

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
Just my 2 pence.

I have been a windows users in a support role for 9 years now day in day out and used to scorne at the idea of moving to a Mac. My only reason was "its a mac, its crap" not other reason behind this and I'd never even used one. My collegue at work were of the same attitude until 18 months ago I bought an iPod Mini. This impressed me no end and I really liked iTunes (was just using winamp before) so when the Mac Mini came out I thought hey, that looks nice! I waited and waited but never thought, I have to get one.

I do a fair bit of DVD editing of home movies and used things like Pinnacle on the PC and was always getting frustrated with hangs, slow, unexpected results etc. I tried losts of programs and I always seemed to be putting loads of effort into things and could never get things how I wanted. I knew of iDVD on the Mac but never really thought of it as I was a Windows boy.

Then, one day I went shopping with the misses to Birmingham saw the Apple store so we went in to look at the new iPods but go sidetracked by the mini. I remember my g/f going "what the hell is that!!! Its well cute!". :rolleyes: Anyway, I had a look, was blown away by its size and spent 30 mins round the shop playing on OS X on the different Macs. I was TOTALLY LOST to start with and thought "this is rubbish" as I didn't know how to get to anything etc. Then one of the people in the shop (just another person not an apple guy) said "you've not used it before have ya?" I said no and he was really helpfull and just showed me a few things. Oh, Expose blew me away totally!! He then talked me through iDVD and in a few mins I was sold!

I ordered my Mini that night and despite the first week of "what the hell am I doing" it all suddenly clicks into place and the mac experience is a dream now. I only ever turn my PC on to use MS Money as there isn't an App like this on the Mac that I like, but everything else I'm a total Mac convert now.

I always prided myself on my stability of my PC as well thinking it run like a dream. Its only now after 8 months with my Mac that I realise how much time I sucked up keeping my PC running that smoothly and that I don't have to do any of that on my Mac, just leave it on overnight every so often.

Anyway, thats my 2 pence worth. I'm now a very happy Mac user and I'm happy to have some really great quality DVD's burned of all my holidays etc.

If your thinking of switching, go to an Apple store, try it for a bit and stick with it for a week. Thats when the lightbuld comes on :D

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
iWho? said:

thanks.

If you are serious about trying the Mac, see if you can use a Mac for as long as you can. (If there's an Apple Store nearby, try dropping in a few times and using one for a while). When switching from Windows to OSX (or indeed, vice versa), you can't really make a balanced judgement straight away.

If you're interested in graphics, many graphics apps are cross-platform, though Apple seems to be well ahead in integrating real-time graphics and video editing support right into the OS. You should check out app like Motion to see this in action.

I don't really know much about audio recording, I've only used GarageBand which, I'd assume, is more basic than what you'd be looking at.

Best of luck, with whatever you choose.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Why should you get a Mac? Why NOT?

A Mac user since October, I'm a recent switcher. Prior to purchasing my iMac I was hesitant about getting into a strange new operating system and all that, but I was becoming more and more frustrated with Windows, so I took the plunge. I'm more than happy that I did. As others have mentioned, and as the saying goes, "everything just...works!" I can have several programs all open at the same time on my Mac and I can be working in Aperture and Photoshop, no problem....I doubt that I could do that in a Windows machine. Usually Windows would crash on me if I attempted something outside its comfort zone. Using my Macs is just so much more productive and a heckuva lot more FUN than using my Windows machine.

This morning, in the hotel room in SF, when I fired up the PB I got the notification about new software updates. Now, if I'd been using a Windows laptop I would have said, "nope, won't install this until I'm at home just in case some glitch screws up the machine." With my PB, I just shrugged and started the update going. It finished, I rebooted and the machine works just as flawlessly as ever. The point here being that I don't worry about conflicts and configuration issues with the Mac the way I always had to with my Windows machines. I had every confidence that the update process would go smoothly and that the outcome would be as expected: an integrated, seamless operating system on a very nice piece of hardware.

Definitely spend some time playing with a Mac in the stores, but it really won't be until you have one in your own home or work environment, using it in the way you customarily use computers, that you'll really begin to appreciate the value and beauty of a Mac.

So I ask, why NOT get a Mac?

OTB
(Now off for another day at MacWorld)

iWho?

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
He first asks a question that he knows will get responses, then acts nice to them, but then throws out another question that is sure to get a negative response, ie "the whole file system is a mess and the interface is a bit too "dumbed down" for me".

Then some of ya'll fell into the trap of defending yourself to someone who obviously isn't worth your time. And he was set, he could then throw in the "but i was just curious about the system don't be so mean!" type statement, which invariably makes some people feel for him, and others see through the falsehood, and call him on it.

This creates a supposed rift within the community, with some people defending him and others trashing him, which then turns into the community attacking itself instead of the troll.

He can further the issue by then claiming that "Another thing i have decided from this thread is that whenever i don't with the mac community, they become hostile. The community of users is a very important thing when buying hardware, and i haven't seen that in the mac community, except in a few users!" Which is mainly silly as everyone was helpful except a few people.

He then goes nuclear with "Well done! you just scared away another person considering a mac!"

Silly silly troll using a pretty good trolling method, ask a question, take a shot, when they shoot back, you cry, when they pity your tears you fire another shot, some still pity you, others don't, embrace the ones pitying you, get them to shoot back at the ones who don't.

sorry if i seemed like a troll, but i do question points more than most people.

most of you guys have been really helpful. Thanks.

exeterbohemian

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
brooklyn
i don't want to repeat anything that has already been said, and a lot of good points have been raised here. in spite of some of the criticisms that have been launched. either way. i switched to mac less than five months ago. i had long been admiring their elegance and power, but never felt myself truly able to take the plunge. why? because for all practical purposes, i was a window's guy. i've built many powerhouse x86 machines. some of which i still use. nevertheless. my preference at present is obviously for the mac. and i can put it into one word: efficiency. whatever it is that you're doing on a computer, doing it on a mac is easier. the interface is streamlined and much less redundant/annoying than windows. case in point that annoying dog that always shows up when you go to 'find' off of the start menu. anything you can do in windows you can do on a mac. it's just easier. especially with things like photo editing or music recording/production or even video. for someone in your situation, mac would seem the way to go. if there's anything else you want to know, feel free to ask me.

jadekitty24

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
The poor section of Connecticut
I didn't read ALL of this thread...I can't. I'm just going to answer the OP's question. What attracts people to use an Apple machine? I'll give you MY answer. As a novice who doesn't know everything about computing, if one had never used a computer before, and had tried XP (or other PC-based OS"s) and had too many hair-pulling experiences, and then tried OSX (or anything Macintosh), a light would dawn on them, angels would sing, all would be good...ok, seriously, I don't know much about computing. I have just recently grasped the basics. In my opinion, to truly test how great a computer company (and any of their given computers) may be is to throw some complete computer noobs at the computers they are trying to sell. As was the case with me. Well, they didn't exactly throw me onto the whole Macintosh scene, I stumbled upon it accidently. The simplicity of it all. That is what attracts me to the Macintosh platform. I have plugged many a device into my iBook and they just worked automatically. As for getting them to work on my Dell, the computer the device was originally bought for, oh boy...perhaps not the fault of th OS but anyway, I just have found Macs to be so damn hassle free. I love no worries of spyware, which I constantly have to worry about on my Dell, as well as my parents' PC (thank God they live across the street). I love how straight-forward everything is. It's just so easy to do the simple tasks. Bottom line. EASY FOR A NOOB. I truly believe, if you have never ever been involved in computers, do go the Mac way first. To do all the wonderful things that can be done with a computer is just sooo much easier. Of course, that's just me and this post is already waaay too long...

bodeh6

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
Its the OS silly. Tiger is awesome. Much better then the 5 year old Windows XP.

derajfast

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2004
I was in the same boat as you about 2 and a half years ago. id built about 3 PCs of my own, just for fun and tinkering around. Built my dream system and what not, and it really was perfect at the time. it worked, it was fast, rarely froze or required a restart or anything of the sort. I ran mcafee all the time, had all the pop up blockers and spam protection to make sure it was running smoothly, but I always kept an eye on the apple world. I always desired their products for the look and minimalist approach to computing. And like I said, XP pro was more then suitable for me. Well I had that computer I built for about a year and a half, and I started to get kind of bored of just chatting online and (as the new intel/apple ad states) "dull little tasks." for me, comptuers are more of a hobby then anything else.

So I decided to buy a mac, basically on a whim and out of boredom with my PC. I had some extra money from the stock market, and threw down about 2500 on a new powerbook. I didn't need one, I wasn't fed up with PCs, I didn't need the portability, but it was just to feed my hobby. Now I can absolutely positively 100% say that computers are no longer a hobby, but so much more. iLife is amazing, and I use it almost daily. The OS is more intuitive, and when I thought everything worked fine on my XP machine, I realized that although it may have worked fine, it didn't work well enough. Now when I go on to that machine, I cannot believe how I actually used that computer. It seems so primitive and clunky. Theres no integration between apps, which is IMO one of the most underrated benefits of macs.

The learning curve really isnt all that bad either. I was rather good with PCs and I got he gist of OS X in about 4 or 5 days, picking up random tidbits and tips on how to improve it here and there. But if you know your way around windows, you can easily figure it out around OS X. Just learn the keyboard shortcuts.

Sorry if we in the mac community come off as a bit harsh and snobbish. But the truth of the matter is, we are. We know we use a superior product, and i know how naive this must sound, but it is 100% absolute truth that the people who do not use it are either misinformed, ignorant, or delusional. Have you EVER had anyone tell yuo that buying a PC has actually been a life changing experience for them? I haven't, but I have heard it numerous times with people who buy Macs. Hopefully this can help you, and I apologize for the harshness on the board, but you came off looking for a fight. Hopefully you get a mac, and we in the mac community will welcome you with open arms, and properly formed sentences and grammatically correct statements. The misspellings (or is it mizzspellinz ?) and seizure causing capitalizations of the PC world are not welcome here. The grass truly is greener on the other side.

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2004
I don't know much about computers and I am thinking about getting a mac....

I don't like this, this, and this about the mac....

I like being able to customize my computer (of course any PC noob can easily build their own computer;) )...

iWho is a textbook noob name that any good troll would use here.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, the jury has found the defendant guilty of trolling on 11 accounts."

[Golf Clap]

:p

Malus

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2005
Bottom line Macs are more reliable and safer than a PC.

Get a mac now, so you can know how bad you had it when you had your PC.

jadekitty24

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
The poor section of Connecticut
corywoolf said:
I don't know much about computers and I am thinking about getting a mac....

I don't like this, this, and this about the mac....

I like being able to customize my computer (of course any PC noob can easily build their own computer;) )...

iWho is a textbook noob name that any good troll would use here.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, the jury has found the defendant guilty of trolling on 11 accounts."

[Golf Clap]

:p
The only one instigating right now is you. The OP nicely asked a question - give your input or go bother someone else. Jeez, why do people get their panties in a bunch every time someone innocently asks for information in the Apple computers??? It's not a personal attck, just a question. Be gone with you.

iWho?

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
Is this a serious question - Why should I get a mac? - I mean come on?????

after dealing with iTunes i was reluctant. I love my iPod, iTunes...i wish i could say the same.

the iPod is what made me interested in Macs, iTunes is what made me cautious :)

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
iWho? said:

Is it the functionality of iTunes or the performance because to be fair, even the most expensive PCs struggle with iTunes, it hasn't been optimised very well. On the Mac, it is a completely different beast in terms of reliability, resource usage and speed. :)

Malfoy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
iWho? said:
after dealing with iTunes i was reluctant. I love my iPod, iTunes...i wish i could say the same.

iTunes is a plague against humanity. I still can't understand how someone could design something so bad. :(

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
Malfoy said:
iTunes is a plague against humanity. I still can't understand how someone could design something so bad. :(

What's so wrong with it? I've used it for over 2 years now and have never had a single problem with it. Winamp and WMP are terrible programs that do little to make accessing your music library simple and efficient.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.