Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 16, 2015
Almost every year, there are hundreds of threads (big And small ones) discussing launch day iPhone purchase, from availability, to sharing experience, tracking, to walk-in purchase or local store pickup.

During the iPhone early years, I can get it on why people pile up for the latest and greatest because of major leap every year. But nowadays especially in last 3 years, iPhone has been in incremental update with few if any “wow” factors.

This gets me wondering: why so many people still try to get their iPhone on launch day with any means necessary? Is the launch day iPhone super special compared to non-launch day one? I am both curious and puzzled. 🤔

Edit: based on criticism, I updated the title.

Last edited:

Gsxr750

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2022
Almost every year, there are hundreds of threads (big And small ones) discussing launch day iPhone purchase, from availability, to sharing experience, tracking, to walk-in purchase or local store pickup.

During the iPhone early years, I can get it on why people pile up for the latest and greatest because of major leap every year. But nowadays especially in last 3 years, iPhone has been in incremental update with few if any “wow” factors.

This gets me wondering: why so many people still try to get their iPhone on launch day with any means necessary? Is the launch day iPhone super special compared to non-launch day one? I am both curious and puzzled. 🤔
Because we want to.

ShadowGuardian87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2020
Virginia
It’s just something people enjoy. My iPhone history is

iPhone 3G ( 2008)
iPhone 4 ( 2010)
iPhone 5 (2012)
iPhone 6 ( 2014)
iPhone 7 Plus ( 2016)
iPhone XS ( 2018)
iPhone 11 Pro Max (2019)
iPhone 14 Pro Max ( 2022)

Out of all of those, it’s only 4 that I got on launch day ( the 4, XS, 11 pro max, and 14 pro max). I also rarely upgrade yearly. I just got for launch day phones for the thrill and fun. It’s not the end of the world if I don’t get it on launch day.

iScone

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Is the launch day iPhone super special compared to non-launch day one?

Yes, it is. No other day of the year has the same anticipation and hype, where those of us who're choosing to upgrade can get excited together, compare colour choices and discuss cases, etc.

On top of that, buying at launch means enjoying the phone for the longest time possible.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
I think a lot of it stems from the pure enjoyment of new tech. Even though the iPhone updates annually with more incremental upgrades, to nerds like me, I love the updates. I love having a new device with the latest small design changes, the latest hardware upgrades. I tell my wife, iPhone and tech in general are a guilty pleasure. Add to that, my iPhone and Watch Ultra are the two pieces of tech I interact with more than any other tech by a long shot, so why not indulge in frequent updates.

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
In addition to the reasons already stated above: if you're gonna get a new iPhone outright without any sales, doing it sooner means you get to benefit from it more, while paying the same amount you'd be paying if you got it later. Of course it's not a huge deal to get it a few weeks after launch, but getting it a few months later is more of a bummer.

Last edited:

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2009
iPhone day is just a special day for me..I know it’s silly. And very fan boyish, but it is a mac forum.. 1. It’s a streak that I’ve had every year. Day 1 from day 1! I’ve had the pleasure to camp out in Jersey, Orlando, NYC, Memphis, Dallas, Vegas… I honestly just miss the days of camping out, getting mad at mall security. The free chick fil a from Apple. Even the, I’m in line but I have no idea what ima get cuz we have no idea what color and storage may be available.. Ive personally grown up with the iPhone from the age of 15… From the first white back, to the first white front, to the rose Gold, the jet black, the iPhone X, the xs Max, touch id, Siri.. the list goes on and on. Yes, it’s not like that anymore. It’s just a special day. And that’s all I can say. I know the iPhone 15 pro isn’t that great of an upgrade over the 14 pro.. but neither was several others.

Johnny Steps

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
It’s not all that complicated. People just want things regardless of whether it’s logical or not. Also I’m not sure why people mention people having cash lol. You’d be surprised how many people can’t afford what they’re buying and just finance it. Credit cards let you get whatever you want if you have the credit limit for it. Now whether or not they’re making a financially sensible decision is another question.

Reactions: Shirasaki

sjperformance

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
My iPhone history started with the 4S. Have upgraded every year since. It’s tradition for me. One day I won’t do it anymore but who knows. I look forward to it. My kids know it. My wife knows it. Friends and family. They know I always get the newest iPhone every year.

Reactions: fatTribble

thecautioners

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2022
It’s just fun. It makes the good brain chemicals do the good things for me.

In my 20s I would camp out for concerts from sometimes before 8am onwards just to be up front on the barrier. Same excitement vibe for me.

I’ll be honest, I’m 37, and from about age 4 on I was severely depressed. I found joy in very little. At 35 I started ketamine therapy (Spravato) and my depression has been in complete remission since then. Let me tell you, I find SO MUCH JOY in things now. I get so excited. I love it. And I love new shiny toys, which is what this phone is, so I dove right in and haven’t looked back. I can enjoy life now, for the first time, so I’m going to do it however I can. And I’m here to share that excitement with others who also find joy in it.

I’ve had iPhones since literally day 2 of the 2g and I get so excited about new releases. My phone is my life because it lets me capture moments with my kids who are getting older every day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.