Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mavis

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I've had my iPhone X for a couple of weeks now and I'm loving it so far, except for one thing: not being able to see when headphones are connected, or when DND is active, is REALLY annoying. I'm wondering why Apple didn't make the 'ears' capable of displaying two lines of text/icons? I mean, there's plenty of room ...
more_info.png

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I would argue botch is a bad compromise to the so called edge to edge display, unless they figure out a way to put camera and sensor under the screen and make them work. Notch is not the answer.
But, regarding the “wasted space”, if you zoom out a bit, what would happen? All of your icons will be too difficult to see. This is even worse than before.

pixel_junkie

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2015
I've had my iPhone X for a couple of weeks now and I'm loving it so far, except for one thing: not being able to see when headphones are connected, or when DND is active, is REALLY annoying. I'm wondering why Apple didn't make the 'ears' capable of displaying two lines of text/icons? I mean, there's plenty of room ... View attachment 741604
Because Apple is and always has been about minimal design and form before function. You will never see that type of cramped design.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
I've had my iPhone X for a couple of weeks now and I'm loving it so far, except for one thing: not being able to see when headphones are connected, or when DND is active, is REALLY annoying. I'm wondering why Apple didn't make the 'ears' capable of displaying two lines of text/icons? I mean, there's plenty of room ... View attachment 741604
Thanks for the picture.

I've been saying this for a while myself. There's room for those icons to make the Home-screen much more 'informative'. You've managed to insert 3 icons on the top row, which is one more than I imagined. The more, the merrier.

Hopefully Apple do something similar to what you've done there.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
This is a good idea, you should submit a feedback ticket. you never know what might happen.

Actually, I would email Craig Federighi personally, which would not necessarily guarantee a response, but at least would be reviewed by someone on his support team or himself.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
I don't see it as too cramped. Not unlike having the entire traditional Status Bar filled with just about all available icons. The benefits outweigh that imo.

But Apple won't touch it, as it blocks the ears & takes away the edge to edge effect/illusion they were going for with the 10, which I also disagree with - you can still see the background & it shouldn't take away from the in-App experience.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
This is a good idea, you should submit a feedback ticket. you never know what might happen.
You don’t think the 200k+ a year developers thought about this? Common....
[doublepost=1513077790][/doublepost]
They wanted the icons to line up with the bottom of the notch. This is way too cluttered and busy.
They could add something more to the left side imo. Right side you can add a small icon or two above and keep placement of other icons where they are

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
You don’t think the 200k+ a year developers thought about this? Common....
[doublepost=1513077790][/doublepost]
They wanted the icons to line up with the bottom of the notch. This is way too cluttered and busy.
They could add something more to the left side imo. Right side you can add a small icon or two above and keep placement of other icons where they are
Yeah my original thoughts were 2 icons max on the top row, on each side, above what the current X displays. That, plus the battery percentage inside the battery icon.

jetlagged

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2012
The improvements will come with iOS 12 and iPhone X-2 will be more refined. I’m holding out for the iPhone x2, but Im still on the fence for iPhone X, lol I just can’t decide

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Of all things, they couldn't fit the alarm symbol on the bunny ears without a CC pull down?

Or battery % instead of the graphic?

At least they didn't waste one on the carrier name. I'm sure that was met with tons of internal debate and followup meetings at Cupertino :p

Ipadfever

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2012
We all know exactly what will happen... nothing! The wifi toggle in control Center is a complete joke too, it doesn’t turn off wifi but rather disconnects it..... REALLY APPLE??!!

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
We all know exactly what will happen... nothing! The wifi toggle in control Center is a complete joke too, it doesn’t turn off wifi but rather disconnects it..... REALLY APPLE??!!

Nice side perk of it auto connecting to random public wifi networks in passing, at best just bringing data to a screeching halt. At worst, a serious security concern

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
don't like how that looks...far too cramped.

Reactions: DaveOP
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.