Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you use iTunes as your primary music management program/music player

• Total voters

MC6800

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2016
I'm trying to think of how Apple could fix the "bloated app" complaint. It seems the root of the problem is syncing devices-- if iTunes were split up, those apps would all have to load when you plug in a device. A way around that would be to have a separate library manager/syncer app. I'd expect it'd be about the size of iTunes since it would be dealing with all databases, and the other apps would just be front-ends for it. In other words, not much would change.

vault

macrumors regular
May 3, 2009
The pink microphones are triggering my OCD. The rest of the artist artwork is so tiny I can't recognise bands I know very well. Totally unhelpful.

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
I miss the free radio stations that were formerly in iTunes.

What free radio stations are missing? There's always been the Internet Radio stations linked in, but they are still there. (at least in my iTunes. I'm running version 12.6.0.100)

ItWasNotMe

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2012
Example 4.

New version rigorously enforces... When a playlist contains both audio and music video, using shuffle from right-clicking the dock or from the mini-player only the audio tracks are selected for playback.

[Edit] Seems that historically, the skip when shuffle on the track was sometimes set/sometimes not - so if you want music videos to appear in shuffle list make sure that this is blank on the options tab of get info

Example 5.

To install new components for Xcode I have to quit iTunes

Last edited:

LinusR

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2011
Example 1. Album art.
When I play anything I haven't played for a couple of years, the artwork often changes:
1. Randomly (i.e. not always)
2. Sometimes to a completely different, irrelevant album - e.g. The Flock by the Flock becomes Flock of Seagulls by A Flock of Seagulls
3. It does this in a manner where Time Machine thinks the file has changed but, for example, the modification date in Finder is unchanged.

Example 2. Play
Play Next - adds track to top of playlist
Play Later - adds track to top of playlist
And the difference is ...

Example 3. Ratings
Complete confusion through the app between track ratings and album ratings. So, I never set album ratings but when I play a few tracks the unplayed tracks set assigned a rating (grey not blue). Screws up smart playlists

It's interesting to see such experiences, thanks for sharing!
That said, I haven't had a single one of these issues, and I've always used iTunes. Revamping the whole app and redesigning it from ground up sounds like a decent idea (it might get rid of those anomalies, then), but I'm not sure whether we would get a massively cut down version as in Photos, the iWork suite, etc..

EDIT: Typo (where/whether)
EDIT 2: Another typo (sound/ground)

Last edited:

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
On the Mac and iOS, I also think iTunes is "fine". Yes, it's got a bit bloated over the years, but it's still quite usable.

But when I use iTunes on Windows (on the PC used by my parents), it truly is a slow lethargic clunky less. IMHO, Apple really does need to give the Windows version a little more TLC.

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
The biggest reason I dislike iTunes is the small album artwork.

I grew up with vinyl albums. LPs… huge glossy pieces of cardboard that were often an art in themselves.

Now? A tiny little square that my ageing eyes are not very happy with.

Bring back Coverflow, at least.
Hallelujah! I totally agree. Bring back my CoverFlow. It was beautiful to see my covers flow across my iTunes interface. What idiot killed it?

sofila

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
Ramtop Mountains
Example 3. Ratings
Complete confusion through the app between track ratings and album ratings. So, I never set album ratings but when I play a few tracks the unplayed tracks set assigned a rating (grey not blue). Screws up smart playlists
This is the thing I hate most. Others...I close my eyes and keep going on . But I find this "feature" a real pain in ....
iTunes was something you wanted to show to your friends, not doing this since a long time

MSalemHawks

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2017
I miss the free radio stations that were formerly in iTunes.
It's still there, called Internet Radio. Go to the Music pull down menu, down to edit and enable Internet Radio.
[doublepost=1495223364][/doublepost]
Same. Sucks that you have to pay now. Sucks even more that the free stations stopped working on the 3rd gen Apple TV.
You don't have to pay, the free radio is still there, called Internet Radio. Go to the Music pull down menu, down to edit and enable Internet Radio.

UL2RA

Suspended
May 7, 2017
You don't have to pay, the free radio is still there, called Internet Radio. Go to the Music pull down menu, down to edit and enable Internet Radio.
Uh ... no. The only free Radio is Beats 1 (which I hate immensely). iTunes Radio is no longer available.

determined09

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
It's still there, called Internet Radio. Go to the Music pull down menu, down to edit and enable Internet Radio.
[doublepost=1495223364][/doublepost]
Thanks

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Yes but is says something about getting three months of Apple Music. I'm not going to pay for that. But thanks.

You're looking at this?:

internetradio.png

Reactions: determined09

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
I'm all in! Not only with my pre-existing music library and Apple Music, but also to manage all my movies and TV Shows. Every video I have, I tag and import in iTunes with the wonderful tool VideoDrive. It gets metadata and artwork, converts files if necessary and then adds them to iTunes. This way, I can access them from my iPad, laptop and Apple TV.

It's very convenient, but I do wish iTunes was a bit more streamlined and did less. Now it tries to be everything at once. So I'm hoping there will be a complete overhaul in iOS 11 and iTunes 13.

halledise

macrumors 68000
I haven't used iTunes for ages.
I used to a few years ago when I was doing a lot of celebrant work (weddings and funerals) as it was simple to organise specific playlists and then burn a cd for the occasion.
all my music for same came free from various sources on the 'net.
I stopped doing that work 4 years ago and thus have no need.
for movies I use MPlayerX.
for music - well I'm not that addicted to radio or massive playlists - these days I turn on a physical radio and listen to Triple J or ABC News Radio or the local ABC. or ClassicFM when I'm in the mood
(in Australia)
I hate adverts and those 4 stations are ad-free

dorsal

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2002
When you shuffle a playlist, it does not display the shuffled order of the songs. It used too. Why would you remove such a capability?

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I see a lot of people saying that iTunes is a terrible application and needs seriously revamped. I don't really understand why people feel this way. Yes iTunes on Windows is terrible but on the Mac it works pretty well, the interface is easy to use, it sorts and keeps track of music well and has all the features you could need from a music management program. So what are your reasons for disliking it?

we feel this way because it's crap. I'm a massive Apple fanboy and no ashamed of that, except for iTunes.

The UI is confusing, and it's bloated to hell - it's no longer a music player. It's a music/video/podcast store + device manager and sync/backup tool. It needs to be cut up and split into different applications.

It's less terrible on the Mac, but the Windows version is, IMHO, a disaster as far as winning windows users over. The only apple software most Windows users are exposed to is iTunes, and it is solely responsible for a massive amount irrational Apple hatred amongst all of the people I know who claim to hate Apple. Before i switched, iTunes and the Windows version of Quicktime were my only regular exposure to Apple software and both were a disaster. Happily, quicktime for Windows is no more.

That's why i hate iTunes - it's the worst software ever produced by Apple. Nobody uses it by choice that I know (including myself) - it's used only because there's no other option for iDevice management and the Apple music store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.