Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cdf3

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2012
I too am thinking about buying one and I do have a iPad 3 and iPhone 4
But i'm thinking to get it for my son so he will leave my iPad alone.
That price is really insane and would do everything my son needs.

I was thinking the same thing for my son. My phone is too small for him, and I don't like carrying my iPad around in public. The 7" would be a nice size to carry around to keep him occupied when needed.

TyroneShoes2

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2011
Well, anyone who buys a Nexus 7 without at least test-driving an iPad is a fool, but anyone who buys an iPad without at least test-driving other tablets is really just saving time.

But most smart shoppers will test drive both before buying, and what happens when they do that?

Scroll on an iPad, and then scroll on an Android device. The iPad responds immediately, and the ballistics are gorgeous; highly intuitive. On an Android device, the response is slow, and the ballistics are not as elegant, to put it mildly. Apple treats the entire screen as a vector image, while Android seems to keep the info for every item on a screen as a separate entity, so a screen full of icons scrolls immediately on an iPad, while Android has to crunch and think about it. And that is just one of many aspects of the UI.

But that singular elegance of user interface alone should keep 95% of those who test drive both in the iPad camp.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
It looks like the king of 7 inch tablets. Too bad it doesn't have a rear camera.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
To be honest, I have never really understood the whole rear facing camera on an ipad. I cant imagine that too many people actually use it instead of pulling out their smartphone.

Totally agree. I've used my rear facing tablet camera maybe 3 times in over a year and that was because I didn't have my smartphone with me.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
To be honest, I have never really understood the whole rear facing camera on an ipad. I cant imagine that too many people actually use it instead of pulling out their smartphone.

Well, I think the mentality is why pull out my smartphone when i'm using the iPad? It eliminates the need for using two devices simultaneously. I know some people probably feel awkward, perhaps stupid taking pictures with a 1.5 pound tablet, i feel that way too, although you got to remember the tablet is still fairly new as a trend product. So it's not as comfortable as say, an iPhone.

Which is why I feel more at home with 7 inch tablets. I hope apple releases a 7 inch "mini" iPad. That would be terrific.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Well, anyone who buys a Nexus 7 without at least test-driving an iPad is a fool, but anyone who buys an iPad without at least test-driving other tablets is really just saving time.

But most smart shoppers will test drive both before buying, and what happens when they do that?

Scroll on an iPad, and then scroll on an Android device. The iPad responds immediately, and the ballistics are gorgeous; highly intuitive. On an Android device, the response is slow, and the ballistics are not as elegant, to put it mildly. Apple treats the entire screen as a vector image, while Android seems to keep the info for every item on a screen as a separate entity, so a screen full of icons scrolls immediately on an iPad, while Android has to crunch and think about it. And that is just one of many aspects of the UI.

But that singular elegance of user interface alone should keep 95% of those who test drive both in the iPad camp.

LOL, gotta love the FUD. I own 2 Android tablets (Kindle Fire and a Galaxy Tab 10.1) The Kindle Fire is under powered but the UI isn't too bad. My Galaxy Tab is loaded with apps and I have not once encountered anything you said. To the contrary the UI on the Galaxy Tab is very smooth even when you factor in the Samsung bloatware that's running.

The Google Nexus 7 runs on a new OS, Jelly Bean and everything i've read has indicated it's a very smooth OS. Working in tandem with Jelly Bean is "Project Butter' which is used to make sure things stay running smooth.

Also the Google Nexus will have very little, if any bloat. If I wanted a 7" Android Tablet i'd definitely get the Google Nexus 7. Sweet deal with solid specs.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
LOL, gotta love the FUD. I own 2 Android tablets (Kindle Fire and a Galaxy Tab 10.1) The Kindle Fire is under powered but the UI isn't too bad. My Galaxy Tab is loaded with apps and I have not once encountered anything you said. To the contrary the UI on the Galaxy Tab is very smooth even when you factor in the Samsung bloatware that's running.

The Google Nexus 7 runs on a new OS, Jelly Bean and everything i've read has indicated it's a very smooth OS. Working in tandem with Jelly Bean is "Project Butter' which is used to make sure things stay running smooth.

Also the Google Nexus will have very little, if any bloat. If I wanted a 7" Android Tablet i'd definitely get the Google Nexus 7. Sweet deal with solid specs.
Gotta agree with this. I watched The Verge's video review and Topolsky specifically talked on this point for at least a minute. He said it was one of the first Android devices to actually keep up with his finger and he showed it doing so quite often.

Fruit Cake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2012
I'm gettin one, I don't see it competing with iPad, moreso the kindle fire and nook then anything. Its a content consumption device, 7inch meaning e book reader market. It's too gimped to compete with the iPad.

dba415

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011

have you even use the nexus 7, oh I already know the answer to that you have not.

basically, the nexus 7 is easily a better deal than the iPad. The apps that are tailored to tablets will come soon and will come in a hurry. I don't think I can recommend an iPad to anybody now that the Nexus 7 is out there. Even if you are in the market for a tablet and price is no obstacle.

advan031

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2008
have you even use the nexus 7, oh I already know the answer to that you have not.

basically, the nexus 7 is easily a better deal than the iPad. The apps that are tailored to tablets will come soon and will come in a hurry. I don't think I can recommend an iPad to anybody now that the Nexus 7 is out there. Even if you are in the market for a tablet and price is no obstacle.

How about if they want a screen that's larger than 7"? Lol

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia

Whether it's a better deal or not depends on what you're after. The Nexus 7 is a great device at a great price point, but it won't really offer much competition for the iPad due to its larger screen size, better battery life, and massive App Store. Honestly they've got different target markets.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
With only 8gb or 16gb capacities, forget it. Really seems like an attempt to get people on their cloud service.

After owning the $200 kindle fire I've come to realize you get what you pay for. It was an ok tablet but you definitely get a half tablet experience with it.

Android market is getting better with tablets (own a Xoom) but it's still miles away from the iPad.

you either have to pick good price or good user experience, so far you really can't have both.

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011
>Why the Nexus 7 isn't going to harm the iPad's sales.

Nexus 7 = 7" screen
iPad = ~10" screen

It's totally different market. Or do hamsters effect horse sales?

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008

Just because google releases a tablet doesn't mean the apps are going to start coming, how many years has it been since android tablets have been around and the market still suffers from lack of tablet optimized apps.

If the device is hugely successful then it will be a incentive for developers to optimize their apps for it, even then it's not coming over night. When I look at my Xoom and iPad 3 the iPad market is at least a year (closer to 2) ahead of android for tablet apps and that is what makes a tablet great, the 3rd party apps.

Don't get me wrong, I actually prefer browsing and typing on my Xoom better than the iPod, I like the customizing I can do on android over iOS, for instance I can use 3rd party keyboard apps in android making the on screen keyboard superior to the iPad. The iPad choices are big letters or tiny split keyboard with no customization, with android I can literally change anything about it, look, size, and custom buttons.

Like android better but like iOS' 3rd party market better.

Renzatic

Suspended
\Scroll on an iPad, and then scroll on an Android device. The iPad responds immediately, and the ballistics are gorgeous; highly intuitive. On an Android device, the response is slow, and the ballistics are not as elegant, to put it mildly.

Thanks to Project Butter, it looks like this one big problem with Android has finally been addressed. Every video I've seen of the Nexus 7 in action looks like it's as quick and smooth as the iPad.

Check it out for yourself

To me, it seems the people who flat out bag on this tablet only do so because they don't want to like it. The 7" screen might not be big enough for everybody, and the storage space is a little on the anaemic side. But the performance, the options, the new and improved UI, and the power you're getting at that price? I'm fairly happy with my iPad, but it's still pretty tempting.

It's totally different market. Or do hamsters effect horse sales?

A 7" tablet vs. a 9.7" one isn't a totally different market. Definitely not hamsters to horses different. More like ponies to horses.

Cuz...you know...a pony is a smaller horse.

Last edited:

ntc3freak

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
I'm certainly getting one. Will be picking up the new iPad in two weeks as well. The way I see it, both are completely different devices, simply due to their size.

I plan to use the Nexus 7 as my e-reader as well as magazines for toilet sessions. iPad is just too valuable to use in the toilet :p not to mention for those times on bed when holding an iPad in the air would be far more straining and less enjoyable than a light, small tablet. That's where the Nexus 7 comes in.

I'm really excited by the Nexus 7 to be honest. All the reviews have been tremendously positive. It IS a good tablet, not just because it's cheap. It's a good tablet, period. The price of course makes it super attractive.

People complain that it doesn't have enough storage. While that is true, I don't see that being a problem for my usage intentions for the Nexus 7. And I'm fairly certain this tablet will appeal to those who already have an iPad. There are quite a few already on this thread. If anything, it's the perfect tablet for kids.

gladoscc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011

4.1 is much more responsive, feels like iOS now.

ntc3freak

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Have to concur with people saying that Jelly Bean is now closer to iOS in terms of smoothness than Android has ever been.

Try looking at a few videos on Youtube, it simply flies through everything. Not to mention it is running on a relatively ancient Galaxy Nexus with mediocre hardware in today's world. Jelly Bean has absolutely transformed that phone! It's just super super quick with nice animations. But above all, it's smoooooooooth :D

IMO it is a much much tougher task to make Android smooth compared to iOS. Whereas iOS only has to render grids of icons, Android has to render grids of icons AND all the widgets you may have on your homescreen. Finally Android will feel as smooth as it should have always been.

Nevertheless, I prefer iOS on a large tablet. Simply because a tablet is used for doing things. iOS is great in that sense because you unlock the device and head straight into a particular app. That's it. I prefer Android on phones when I need widgets for my weather and calendar and other things. Great to have the choice!

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
With only 8gb or 16gb capacities, forget it. Really seems like an attempt to get people on their cloud service.

After owning the $200 kindle fire I've come to realize you get what you pay for. It was an ok tablet but you definitely get a half tablet experience with it.

Android market is getting better with tablets (own a Xoom) but it's still miles away from the iPad.

you either have to pick good price or good user experience, so far you really can't have both.

From what i've read you can sync the tablet to your PC so maybe you can backup files, apps and such to a PC without using the Cloud service.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Gotta agree with this. I watched The Verge's video review and Topolsky specifically talked on this point for at least a minute. He said it was one of the first Android devices to actually keep up with his finger and he showed it doing so quite often.

The Verge review rated the Nexus 7 pretty high. It looks like a great device. I really like the 7" screen and am waiting until later this year to see if Apple introduces one and what sort of update Amazon does to the Fire before buying one.

Zebis

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2012
Education

The place where the Nexus 7 may make a dent on the iPad is in education.

Granted that the app selection is still poor compared to the iPad, but the cost benefit is huge.

I plan to purchase ~128 touch devices next year, we already have iPad's on trial and they are good (the apple ID, bulk purchase of apps, sharing the iPad amongst many users is an issue).

But size isn't an issue, not for students. Content is, as well as the ability to "multi-user" the device. Unfortunately we can't stretch to a 1:1 device roll-out.

Ill buy the Nexus 7, and when Surface is available, and trial run all the devices in the classroom.

iDave

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2003
I've been considering an iPad since they first came out. Nexus 7 has convinced me that iPad would be a waste of money. I ordered a 16GB Nexus today. So, um, I guess it will hurt iPad sales, a little.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010

Well, start imagining it, because it's happening. I'm seeing people all over the place using their iPads to take pictures and video. I too have been doing the same. I love having the larger view finder, and the still camera on the new iPad does a much better job than my iPhone 4. Also, if I'm already holding my iPad, why not use it? If I put it down and get my iPhone out, my kids have already stopped doing whatever cute thing it was that I wanted to capture. Also, the new iPad does much better in low light than my iPhone 4.

Yes, this is just anecdotal, but I think it's very telling that in the last week, I have seen people at the museum, at an amusement park, and at a 5K my sister ran in, taking pictures with their iPads instead of phones or standalone cameras.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.