Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
Well, anyone who buys a Nexus 7 without at least test-driving an iPad is a fool, but anyone who buys an iPad without at least test-driving other tablets is really just saving time.

But most smart shoppers will test drive both before buying, and what happens when they do that?

Scroll on an iPad, and then scroll on an Android device. The iPad responds immediately, and the ballistics are gorgeous; highly intuitive. On an Android device, the response is slow, and the ballistics are not as elegant, to put it mildly. Apple treats the entire screen as a vector image, while Android seems to keep the info for every item on a screen as a separate entity, so a screen full of icons scrolls immediately on an iPad, while Android has to crunch and think about it. And that is just one of many aspects of the UI.

But that singular elegance of user interface alone should keep 95% of those who test drive both in the iPad camp.

Negatory, you're thinking of older devices. The latest android devices are buttery smooth and responsive. That old mantra that android devices are slow and unresponsive is just not true anymore.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
Negatory, you're thinking of older devices. The latest android devices are buttery smooth and responsive. That old mantra that android devices are slow and unresponsive is just not true anymore.

yeah most new ones are pretty smooth, they still dont feel as smooth and "snappy" as my 4s though. i havent tried a sIII or htc one..

auero

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2006
Just because google releases a tablet doesn't mean the apps are going to start coming, how many years has it been since android tablets have been around and the market still suffers from lack of tablet optimized apps.

It's the price point. The Nexus 7 will sell because it's affordable. I'd love to buy an iPad but for half the price its really hard to resist. Developers have a new market to dominate and I really think they'll rush to get there before anyone else.

radicalcentrist

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2008
Portland, OR
I'm buying one for Christmas

My wife has an iPad 2 and loves it, but I eventually sold our iPad 1 because it was just too big for my uses. I already have to take a laptop when I travel, so cutting additional weight is key (and, no, I can't sub out the iPad, for a number of reasons).

I'd love a 7" tablet, and if Apple releases one this fall, it's what I'll buy (we're a completely Apple ecosystem at home and at my office). But I've waited long enough, so if Apple doesn't, I'll be buying one of these.

Certainly, my sample size is one (myself), but I don't think that it's unreasonable to think there might be a sizable population who are in the same boat, although probably not enough to dent Apple's bottom line.

Jagardn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
I used to have an iPad, but I sold it and got an 11" Macbook Air. I just needed some functionality that a tablet can't do. I was in the market for a Kindle fire though. I wanted to upgrade my current kindle, with the newer hardware of the Nexus 7, it was a no brainer, and I can still use the kindle app. I don't see it effecting iPad sales too much, but could put a hurting on the Kindle fire sales.

Matthew9559

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2007
Cleveland, OH
Yeah, I see this affecting Kindle fire sales but not so much the iPad. At 200, I know which tablet I would choose. Those specs aren't pretty damn good too.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
This is a re-run of last year when the Fire came out. I specifically remember a CNET story by Molly Wood saying that the Kindle Fire was an iPad Killer because of the price. Most reviews said, "Yes, the iPad is better, but is it worth all the extra money?" People predicted huge sales for the holidays and beyond.

Well here we are now. People are still buying iPads in droves and the Kindle Fire is starting to really tank. There was an initial holiday rush and that was about all. And that was for a $200 tablet that had a GREAT media eco system already in place--one that could arguably almost rival iTunes. Meanwhile all other Android tablets have sputtered and died.

I predict the same for the Nexus 7. There will be an initial rush of gadget geeks that buy it followed by a whole lot of nothing. I doubt that Joe Schmoe even knows about this thing, and even if they did, there are already lots of other cheap 7" tablets out there than aren't being bought, why would this one? Price? Yeah, maybe.

I still remain convinced that a majority of Android users don't care that they're using Android. They just got it along with their free/cheap phone, and recent usage numbers suggest the same. Tablets are not the same situation, because you're usually just going out and buying one outright. You're not getting roped into a contract like you are on your phone. And the general public has proved time and again that they really, in general, just want iPads.

Exio

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
Just because google releases a tablet doesn't mean the apps are going to start coming, how many years has it been since android tablets have been around and the market still suffers from lack of tablet optimized apps.

If the device is hugely successful then it will be a incentive for developers to optimize their apps for it, even then it's not coming over night. When I look at my Xoom and iPad 3 the iPad market is at least a year (closer to 2) ahead of android for tablet apps and that is what makes a tablet great, the 3rd party apps.

Don't get me wrong, I actually prefer browsing and typing on my Xoom better than the iPod, I like the customizing I can do on android over iOS, for instance I can use 3rd party keyboard apps in android making the on screen keyboard superior to the iPad. The iPad choices are big letters or tiny split keyboard with no customization, with android I can literally change anything about it, look, size, and custom buttons.

Like android better but like iOS' 3rd party market better.

Android is designed to be used on all platforms, so apps do not have to be developed for specific platforms like with iOS.

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
This is a re-run of last year when the Fire came out. I specifically remember a CNET story by Molly Wood saying that the Kindle Fire was an iPad Killer because of the price. Most reviews said, "Yes, the iPad is better, but is it worth all the extra money?" People predicted huge sales for the holidays and beyond.

Well here we are now. People are still buying iPads in droves and the Kindle Fire is starting to really tank. There was an initial holiday rush and that was about all. And that was for a $200 tablet that had a GREAT media eco system already in place--one that could arguably almost rival iTunes. Meanwhile all other Android tablets have sputtered and died.

I predict the same for the Nexus 7. There will be an initial rush of gadget geeks that buy it followed by a whole lot of nothing. I doubt that Joe Schmoe even knows about this thing, and even if they did, there are already lots of other cheap 7" tablets out there than aren't being bought, why would this one? Price? Yeah, maybe.

I still remain convinced that a majority of Android users don't care that they're using Android. They just got it along with their free/cheap phone, and recent usage numbers suggest the same. Tablets are not the same situation, because you're usually just going out and buying one outright. You're not getting roped into a contract like you are on your phone. And the general public has proved time and again that they really, in general, just want iPads.

I have to agree with this. Apple's advantage isn't just in building great hardware or having a terrific ecosystem. No one has been able to match their marketing prowess, which creates demand, or their distribution network, which supplies the demand. There's something to be said for having a global network of your own stores that generally can provide excellent after sales support. No other manufacturer can match that at the moment.

Well, start imagining it, because it's happening. I'm seeing people all over the place using their iPads to take pictures and video. I too have been doing the same. I love having the larger view finder, and the still camera on the new iPad does a much better job than my iPhone 4. Also, if I'm already holding my iPad, why not use it? If I put it down and get my iPhone out, my kids have already stopped doing whatever cute thing it was that I wanted to capture. Also, the new iPad does much better in low light than my iPhone 4.

Yes, this is just anecdotal, but I think it's very telling that in the last week, I have seen people at the museum, at an amusement park, and at a 5K my sister ran in, taking pictures with their iPads instead of phones or standalone cameras.

Yep, agreed. I'm actually surprised it's even an issue. If I already have my iPad out, it's infinitely easier using it to take a picture or video instead of whipping out a camera or phone. And the camera on the new iPad is actually pretty decent, so what's the fuss all about? Certain people will always have a hard time accepting new things until the new things become commonplace, I suppose.

Jackintosh

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2009
Why is everyone worrying about the Nexus? It's aimed at the low-end Nook/Fire market, not the iPad market. It's Microsoft's Surface new tablet with similar screen size and pricing that's targeting Apple and iPad.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
It's the price point. The Nexus 7 will sell because it's affordable. I'd love to buy an iPad but for half the price its really hard to resist. Developers have a new market to dominate and I really think they'll rush to get there before anyone else.

Just the opposite. ICS, after 8+ months, still is only running on 10% of all Android devices. JellyBean will have the same, if not worse, adoption rates.

Developers aren't rushing to Android. Away from it is more like it and this is supported by all the industry research on the topic. The only developers making serious coin right now on mobile devices are doing so on iOS and that's where they will continue to invest their time.

Android is designed to be used on all platforms, so apps do not have to be developed for specific platforms like with iOS.

You don't understand anything about how programming works, do you?

If a developer wants to take advantage of "feature X" in hardware for the Nexus 7 or in software for JellyBean, they have to write to the correct API and/or optimize their code to exploit that fancy feature. However, most won't for the Nexus or any other Android device, choosing instead to write code optimized for the LEAST common denominator. So you get all this fancy hardware in a new Android device, but no software to really leverage it other than some demo-ware here and there.

This is what it means to be an Android developer.....QA hell or just say "screw it, don't support the new stuff, ship it."

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Just the opposite. ICS, after 8+ months, still is only running on 10% of all Android devices. JellyBean will have the same, if not worse, adoption rates.

I read that ICS had about a 14% attach rate and that was a very recent survey, still very poor. Most surprising was Gingerbread which had an attach rate into the 40%+ mark. Unsurprisingly that's what Amazon decided to use on the Kindle Fire, albeit a highly customized version.

I don't want to predict the acceptance of JB. I think that's one reason why Google decided to back one of their Tablets. We'll see if it does better than ICS? But I do agree with you that Android is HIGHLY fragmented much like Linux. If I were a developer looking for maximum return on my investment, i'd also favor iOS until the Android ecosystem stabilizes.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
i really like my iPad, i really do...but i feel like i am ready for a change since iOS 6 is simply just releasing rationed features. the iOS interface is clean, simple, but dated. i like the new layout of Windows Metro on the Surface tablet but i am extremely skeptical of leaving a well established system (iOS) for something new that has already flopped in the smartphone market.

i was looking at the Samsung Galaxy 2 7.0 tablet because it seemed like it had a nice spin on the user interface until playing around with it some more i realized it wasn't that great. doing some more research i found out that the UI on that tablet is actually just a "skin" so to speak that Samsung slapped on, on top of ICS. that's not what i am looking for...i want the actual OS to be that not some modification.

until i find something better, i guess i'll just stick with my iPad

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
i really like my iPad, i really do...but i feel like i am ready for a change since iOS 6 is simply just releasing rationed features. the iOS interface is clean, simple, but dated. i like the new layout of Windows Metro on the Surface tablet but i am extremely skeptical of leaving a well established system (iOS) for something new that has already flopped in the smartphone market.

The Surface will be different because it's a full fledged OS running on a touch device that was BUILT around a touch device. Plus you'll get MS programs like Microsoft Office and other programs in the Wintel family.

I have NO hesitation buying a Surface Pro. In fact I can't wait till they start taking preorders.

nishishei

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2005
Yes, this is just anecdotal, but I think it's very telling that in the last week, I have seen people at the museum, at an amusement park, and at a 5K my sister ran in, taking pictures with their iPads instead of phones or standalone cameras.

Why does one bring an iPad to the amusement park?

I have a 4S and the camera regardless of the hype can't a hold a candle next to a 7 year old Nikon SLR with less megapixels (d70s). But sometimes it's better to get a candid shot than no shot at all, and that's why I like my 4S camera. But iPad? Really? You might as well pull out your laptop and turn on the webcam.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
The Surface will be different because it's a full fledged OS running on a touch device that was BUILT around a touch device. Plus you'll get MS programs like Microsoft Office and other programs in the Wintel family.

I have NO hesitation buying a Surface Pro. In fact I can't wait till they start taking preorders.

that's true, i was talking about the RT mainly.

i do like the Surface Pro...i see something like that replacing my Acer TimelineX running Windows 7

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

But we haven't yet seen the tablet-optimized version of Office, have we? I already know that desktop versions of Office and other Wintel programs will be horrible on a multitouch screen. And I'm not convinced that the Metro version of Office will be as full-featured as the desktop version. We could well end up with a feature-limited multitouch environment like the iOS version of iWorks, and in order to use the full desktop environment, we need to use the keyboard. At that point, what you have is essentially a netbook. And netbooks were pretty much killed off by the iPad. As a netbook, I don't see the Surface as having any more features than previous netbooks, and as a multitouch tablet, it's an unproven platform. So I have LOTS of reservations regarding the Surface, and I certainly won't be preordering it.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008

Yeah but the Amazon Kindle Fire is proof that price point isn't going to necessarily make the item a hot seller.

Even at about 60% cheaper than the lowest capacity iPad the Fire didn't dig into the market share very much. What does the Google Nexus have to offer over the Fire outside of a full featured android operating system (which can be done on the Fire as well) and the Tegra 3 processor?

I don't think the Nexus tablet is much different than the Kindle Fire. It lacks external capacity support, the operating system sits at ~1.5GB meaning the 8GB model would only have ~5.5GB of space useable.

I think the tablet could be so much more but I don't think trying to undercut the iPad is the answer, as said the Fire didn't move the iPad much and as far as I know the sales have slumped considerably since other larger, more full featured tablets get cheaper. I got my Motorola Xoom 32GB for $100 more than the Kindle fire, 3x the capacity, camera and external storage support.

Once I got some 3rd party app customization for the android keyboard (thumb keyboard) and an external keyboard for the iPad the Kindle has collected dust. Though I will say 7" is a great on-the-go size and makes typing with the on-screen keyboard a breeze without having to try to stretch your thumb to reach certain keys.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008

With hundreds of different hardware that android runs on, developers have to optimize interface based on size <x>. As such, many apps are designed for smart phones and since they are designed for 3" - 5" screens they poorly utilize the extra size the tablets offer. The apps designed for smaller screens are very obviously seen as such because the graphics are very pixelated and stretched.

This is what fragmentation brings, developers have to try to optimize for a certain screen size so obviously the smart phone market is much larger than the android tablet market so it would make more sense for them to tweak the interface to fit the smaller screens rather than just optimize it for tablets.

Obviously this happens with iOS too but Apple handles it by shrinking the interface to match the phone size on the tablet so it doesn't look like crap while also giving you the option to stretch it to fit full screen.

Bwa

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007
Boston & San Jose
I have 5 iPads in my house (2 people).

I ordered a Nexus 7 16 gb. Android is getting interesting on tablets, though I am skeptical about battery life based on my experience with a Samsung Android phone that I bought for areas where AT&T doesn't work. I ended up canning the phone because it was always dead when I needed it (I travel a lot).

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I have 5 iPads in my house (2 people).

I ordered a Nexus 7 16 gb. Android is getting interesting on tablets, though I am skeptical about battery life based on my experience with a Samsung Android phone that I bought for areas where AT&T doesn't work. I ended up canning the phone because it was always dead when I needed it (I travel a lot).

There's a review posted on Engadget and they claim the Nexus 7 pushes close to 10 hours. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.