Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

valerii

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2017
Kharkiv, Ukraine
App doesn't work to block SMS from Microsoft Outlook Calendar reminders.
Confirmed your App does not work to block Microsoft Outlook calendar SMS reminders.

Hm... It should work.
Let's try to realize why it may not work.

Firstly, let's check these notes:
1) The app works only with SMS and MMS messages from unknown senders; it doesn't work with messages from senders in a user's Contacts list or with iMessage messages from any source. Also be sure you have never replied to the sender.
2) Blocked SMS/MMS are not deleted, they are moved to "SMS Junk" tab in Messages app.

Secondly, could you provide me (here or by email to support@v-and.com) these details:
1) screenshot of WideProtect app to see what prefixes you have added;
2) screenshot of 'iPhone Settings: Message: Unknown & Spam' to see that WideProtect extension is enabled;
3) screenshot with incoming SMS details to see sender phone number.

Thank you in advance!

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Hello @valerii, I downloaded your app a few days ago and it has worked perfectly to address a Spammer that was using Neighbor spoofing for multiple calls in the morning, afternoon and evening. I thought about using a custom set of Contacts but I decided to try the Apple app store.

I found RoboKiller first but it did not address neighbor spoofing. I then tried TrueCaller but again it failed to address my specific problem. Both apps want my personal information: phone number and email address and access to my contacts.

After a number of searches of the Utilities section of the App store, I found your app. The Title and description were not quite clear in describing if your app would work for me but the good news is that your screenshots showed me that it would address neighbor spoofing.

The low one time price, no in-app purchases and no subscriptions required were also great news! I also was pleased that you did not want / need my phone number, email address and access to my contacts was optional.

I don't currently have a need to utilize your SMS/MMS features but it is good to know that your app covers Spammers that use SMS/MMS Txts.

I do have a suggestion for an update to your iTunes information. It was not clear initially what your app did based on the Title / Description (section that is displayed without selecting the more section. Adding the word Spam earlier in your app Title and description might also help potential customers find your app.

Your app Title displays as WideProtect:Block Call SMS MMS

I would suggest an update to WideProtect: Block Repeating SPAM Calls, SMS and MMS

For the initial paragraph in the description, you have: Block incoming Spam calls, SMS and MMS by defining prefixes of numbers!

I would suggest: Block repeat Spam calls, SMS, and MMS texts. Excellent tool to block Spammers using Neighbor Spoofing by defining prefixes of numbers similar to your phone number.

Note: I also posted a review to the App Store.

Dave

valerii

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2017
Kharkiv, Ukraine
Hi Dave!

Thank you very much for your detail description, I agree that right name and keywords are really important nowadays, and I will change Title and Description a little, as you recommend. Unfortunately, now the title may contain only 30 characters, so I will choose some compromise variant :)

Thanks!

Hello @valerii, I downloaded your app a few days ago and it has worked perfectly to address a Spammer that was using Neighbor spoofing for multiple calls in the morning, afternoon and evening. I thought about using a custom set of Contacts but I decided to try the Apple app store.

I found RoboKiller first but it did not address neighbor spoofing. I then tried TrueCaller but again it failed to address my specific problem. Both apps want my personal information: phone number and email address and access to my contacts.

After a number of searches of the Utilities section of the App store, I found your app. The Title and description were not quite clear in describing if your app would work for me but the good news is that your screenshots showed me that it would address neighbor spoofing.

The low one time price, no in-app purchases and no subscriptions required were also great news! I also was pleased that you did not want / need my phone number, email address and access to my contacts was optional.

I don't currently have a need to utilize your SMS/MMS features but it is good to know that your app covers Spammers that use SMS/MMS Txts.

I do have a suggestion for an update to your iTunes information. It was not clear initially what your app did based on the Title / Description (section that is displayed without selecting the more section. Adding the word Spam earlier in your app Title and description might also help potential customers find your app.

Your app Title displays as WideProtect:Block Call SMS MMS

I would suggest an update to WideProtect: Block Repeating SPAM Calls, SMS and MMS

For the initial paragraph in the description, you have: Block incoming Spam calls, SMS and MMS by defining prefixes of numbers!

I would suggest: Block repeat Spam calls, SMS, and MMS texts. Excellent tool to block Spammers using Neighbor Spoofing by defining prefixes of numbers similar to your phone number.

Note: I also posted a review to the App Store.

Dave

raab

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2010
Just installed your app, I liked that your privacy policy isn't 600 pages long so you know exactly what's up.

It's a shame you can't block numbers such as +4420* but I guess that's just the limitation in place because of Apple. Hopefully they make better improvements to Callkit so it can do live CallerID lookup as opposed to doing a database lookup of numbers.

valerii

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2017
Kharkiv, Ukraine
Just installed your app, I liked that your privacy policy isn't 600 pages long so you know exactly what's up.

It's a shame you can't block numbers such as +4420* but I guess that's just the limitation in place because of Apple. Hopefully they make better improvements to Callkit so it can do live CallerID lookup as opposed to doing a database lookup of numbers.

Thank you!
Yes, it's iOS restriction, to block 100 millions numbers the app has to have 50 CallKit extensions, it would be boring to enable them all and waiting for an hour while they all are being blocking.
Let's see what Apple will present for iOS 12 :)

raab

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2010
Yeah, if it had the ability to view callerID info then that'd negate the need for database lookups altogether

I guess they're choosing privacy > function at this stage

lanceuppercut47

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2013
Hm... It should work.
Let's try to realize why it may not work.

Firstly, let's check these notes:
1) The app works only with SMS and MMS messages from unknown senders; it doesn't work with messages from senders in a user's Contacts list or with iMessage messages from any source. Also be sure you have never replied to the sender.
2) Blocked SMS/MMS are not deleted, they are moved to "SMS Junk" tab in Messages app.

Secondly, could you provide me (here or by email to support@v-and.com) these details:
1) screenshot of WideProtect app to see what prefixes you have added;
2) screenshot of 'iPhone Settings: Message: Unknown & Spam' to see that WideProtect extension is enabled;
3) screenshot with incoming SMS details to see sender phone number.

Thank you in advance!
Just purchased this app.

Did a quick test by blocking my work mobile and calling, it works a treat, been getting some calls from parts of the country that I'm happy to simply blanket block those area codes as I don't know people from there.

Just wondering what happens if one of my friends accidentally uses a blocked SMS word, does it move my entire conversation with them, into the junk tab?

Will there be a way to whitelist contacts (much like how it's done with numbers) for SMS blocking so incase they sent me a blocked keyword, it won't just kill my entire conversation with them. Unless it only moves just the single message to the junk tab?

Also, any possibility of having an optional iCloud sync for blocked numbers and/or SMS keywords to sync up?

valerii

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2017
Kharkiv, Ukraine
Thank you!

Just wondering what happens if one of my friends accidentally uses a blocked SMS word, does it move my entire conversation with them, into the junk tab?
No, it does not, because SMS filtering is working for Unknown senders only. If the sender is in your Contacts, or you have conversation with him already - it will not moved to junk.

Will there be a way to whitelist contacts (much like how it's done with numbers) for SMS blocking so incase they sent me a blocked keyword, it won't just kill my entire conversation with them. Unless it only moves just the single message to the junk tab?
Like for first question - all Contacts are white-listed by default :)

Also, any possibility of having an optional iCloud sync for blocked numbers and/or SMS keywords to sync up?
Hm.. I did not think about it, because was sure that no many people have two iPhones at the same time (because that's all about Calls and SMS/MMS, not iMessages or FaceTime calls)

lanceuppercut47

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2013
No, it does not, because SMS filtering is working for Unknown senders only. If the sender is in your Contacts, or you have conversation with him already - it will not moved to junk.
Okay that's good to know, as long as it doesn't magically move an existing conversation I have (with a friend for example) because he said a keyword I had specified, that's good.

Hm.. I did not think about it, because was sure that no many people have two iPhones at the same time (because that's all about Calls and SMS/MMS, not iMessages or FaceTime calls)

The iCloud sync for numbers that I've blocked isn't essential, it would be nice to know that if I have this bunch of ranges blocked on one phone and if I have it installed on my other phone, same rules get applied.

raab

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2010
Just updated and noticed you can block 30 mil numbers now :)

Since implementing wildcard blocks using your app the daily "investment" calls from "UK" and "Canada" have stopped now, they've probably removed my number from their call list given I never answered them in the first place.

A couple of them went to voicemail and I could hear Indians talking among themselves, probably not realising they were leaving a message.

Thanks @valerii !

Last edited:

valerii

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2017
Kharkiv, Ukraine
Just updated and noticed you can block 30 mil numbers now :)

Since implementing wildcard blocks using your app the daily "investment" calls from "UK" and "Canada" have stopped now, they've probably removed my number from their call list given I never answered them in the first place.

A couple of them went to voicemail and I could hear Indians talking among themselves, probably not realising they were leaving a message.

Thanks @valerii !

Thank you!
Yes, you are right, just published version 3.6, added 5 extensions there, so now it can block up to 30 millions numbers (3 whole area codes).
Also adapted it for iOS 11.3 :)

valerii

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2017
Kharkiv, Ukraine
New version 3.7 is published.
The major change is allowing to postpone block list updating, so now you can firstly add all prefixes you need, and then tap on "Reload extensions now" button on the main screen to commit changes.

xerxers

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2008
Read these comments and all sounded terrific. I have purchased the apps. I went to settings phone blocking etc and saw that I had a whole lot of wide blocker already in there. I presume that I needed to enable each of those?
I also have another call blocker from AT&T will either of these programs stop the other from working.
I have a persistent problem with a spammer who uses numbers very similar to my phone number so it will be terrific to block those.

valerii

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2017
Kharkiv, Ukraine
Hi,

There are 15 WideProtect extensions because of iOS restriction - one extension can block up to 2 millions numbers only.
But you can enable as many extensions as you need (the app will tell you how many after you add prefixes).

And no, different call blockers can work together, I've never heard about any issues with that.

Thank you!

eicca

Suspended
Oct 23, 2014
Is there a way to made WideProtect block/silence everything except contacts?

David Ward

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2018
Hi,

There are 15 WideProtect extensions because of iOS restriction - one extension can block up to 2 millions numbers only.
But you can enable as many extensions as you need (the app will tell you how many after you add prefixes).

And no, different call blockers can work together, I've never heard about any issues with that.

Thank you!
Aha! So if I'm only blocking two prefixes (20,000 numbers) then the app is telling me only to enable extension WideProtect-1 only. I don't need to enable the other 14. Does it matter if I enable the other 14 or not?

valerii

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2017
Kharkiv, Ukraine
Aha! So if I'm only blocking two prefixes (20,000 numbers) then the app is telling me only to enable extension WideProtect-1 only. I don't need to enable the other 14. Does it matter if I enable the other 14 or not?

No, it does not matter, you may enable them in advance or not )

Jada34

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2017
Hi there! I have a quick question before I purchase your app: can you enter a prefix for an area code and the 1st digit? For example, I get lots of calls from my area code (we’ll just say “123”) but the rest of the number changes (some can be 123-456-7890 or 123-345-6789). Can I set a prefix for: 123-4 and 123-3 (in addition to the standard 123-456 or 123-345) and have it blocked?
[doublepost=1530839194][/doublepost]
Hi everyone!

I've been developing Call Blocking application for iPhone, and I'd like to know any thoughts about it:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wideprotect-call-blocker/id1171024059

The main idea is blocking phone numbers using prefixes, so you can block entire area code, for example, or block prefix of your own number to prevent spammers spoofing your number.
The app is using CallKit features, and there is an iOS constraint about count of numbers to block, so now maximum is 20 millions numbers.

I hope that the app will be usefull for you!

valerii

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2017
Kharkiv, Ukraine
Hi there! I have a quick question before I purchase your app: can you enter a prefix for an area code and the 1st digit? For example, I get lots of calls from my area code (we’ll just say “123”) but the rest of the number changes (some can be 123-456-7890 or 123-345-6789). Can I set a prefix for: 123-4 and 123-3 (in addition to the standard 123-456 or 123-345) and have it blocked?
[doublepost=1530839194][/doublepost]
Hi,

Yes, you can, and since "+1 123-4xx-xxxx" contains 1 million numbers, in the app you can add up to 30 prefixes like this.
Or define up to 3 prefixes with just area codes like "+1 425-xxx-xxxx".

Attachments

• scr01.png
    scr01.png
    79.8 KB · Views: 255
  • scr02.png
    scr02.png
    78.9 KB · Views: 239
  • scr03.png
    scr03.png
    104.1 KB · Views: 241
Reactions: Jada34

Jada34

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2017
Hi,

Yes, you can, and since "+1 123-4xx-xxxx" contains 1 million numbers, in the app you can add up to 30 prefixes like this.
Or define up to 3 prefixes with just area codes like "+1 425-xxx-xxxx".

One more question: how does the SMS blocking work? Does it work for both SMS and iMessage? Does the message still come through or does it just silence the notification?

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
After I installed WideProtect and entered 252, 248 and 257 under "Block numbers starting with:", I went to Settings, Phone and Call Blocking & Identification. I saw a long list:

WideProtect --3
WideProtect --8
WideProtect --1
WideProtect --15
:
:
:

What are they? Am I supposed to turn on all of these?

Jada34

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2017
After I installed WideProtect and entered 252, 248 and 257 under "Block numbers starting with:", I went to Settings, Phone and Call Blocking & Identification. I saw a long list:

WideProtect --3
WideProtect --8
WideProtect --1
WideProtect --15
:
:
:

What are they? Am I supposed to turn on all of these?

Once you start adding area codes, a pop-up will appear saying you’ll need to grant access and then at the bottom of the main screen, it will tell you which specific ones to turn on.

Attachments

• BD70B379-75F5-4101-88CD-C561376353F3.jpeg
    BD70B379-75F5-4101-88CD-C561376353F3.jpeg
    202.7 KB · Views: 276
Reactions: hajime

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
Once you start adding area codes, a pop-up will appear saying you’ll need to grant access and then at the bottom of the main screen, it will tell you which specific ones to turn on.

Thanks. So if it says "Enable extensions WideOrotect 1- WideProtect 15 (30,000,000 numbers)" I just turn on all these 15 extensions?
[doublepost=1531088109][/doublepost]Only 3 and 6 haven been turned on. The rest just has a spinning icon on the right for a long time. Even I turned off the phone and on again, they keep spinning. Is it hang? Am I supposed to wait for a long time to have all of them turned on ?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.