Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kukito

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2005
HDTV

dejo said:
If only they would make them HDTV, especially when watching HDTV programs. Or at least anamorphic widescreen.

If you get TNT HD, most of the ads are in 16:9 HDTV.

jeriqo

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2005
12, 14 and 15.4 ?

So, what will we get ?

12 inch 4:3,
14 inch 16:10 (wide) and
15.4 inch 16:10 ?

I hope they won't drop the 12 inch models..

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
jeriqo said:
So, what will we get ?

I doubt the 12 inch model will be dropped. Some people find a 12 inch notebook the easiest to use and carry, for example.

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
wrldwzrd89 said:
I doubt the 12 inch model will be dropped. Some people find a 12 inch notebook the easiest to use and carry, for example.

The only way I see the 12 inch line getting dropped (in both the iBook and PowerBook series) is if Apple moves to an even more compact portable, perhaps a 10.4" or I suppose a 13.3" could also ''replace'' the 12 inch. It wouldn't be wise for Apple to have two or three seperate models of ultra-portable notebooks, to costly considering the sales for each model in that size would be cut in half relative to current 12" sales (assuming general consumer drift of 50% to new product size).

I have a 12 inch, love it and would buy one again and again. There are others who feel the same way, Apple knows it. Ultra-ports aren't going anywhere but (perhaps) smaller and more powerful in the future, don't worry.

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
jeriqo said:
1280x1024 is NOT 4:3.
When displayed on a 4:3 CRT, it doesn't produce square pixels (which is probably what you really wanted to say.) On an LCD panel, they can manufacture it to whatever dimension they want and produce square pixels from any resolution.
jeriqo said:
This 1280x1024 sh.t comes from windows.. absurd.
Microsoft didn't invent it. It was used on workstations before any PC owner could afford a video card with such a capability.

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
shamino said:
When displayed on a 4:3 CRT, it doesn't produce square pixels (which is probably what you really wanted to say.) On an LCD panel, they can manufacture it to whatever dimension they want and produce square pixels from any resolution.
Microsoft didn't invent it. It was used on workstations before any PC owner could afford a video card with such a capability.

Regardless if it is on a LCD panel manufactured to a given size, 1280 divided by 1024 yields a result of 1.25, which is 5:4, NOT 4:3 which is what jeriqo was referring to I believe.

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
I see no mentioning of widescreen version of the 12" iBook, and although a 12" (or 13") widescreen 1280x768 iBook HD would be cool, I kind of like the 4:3 ratio in such a small screen as the 12".
I really don't care about widescreen or not. I just want more pixels than 1024x768. With today's software, it's just not enough. For some apps, it doesn't even leave you enough room to display the entire menu bar!

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
efoto said:
Regardless if it is on a LCD panel manufactured to a given size, 1280 divided by 1024 yields a result of 1.25, which is 5:4, NOT 4:3 which is what jeriqo was referring to I believe.
True, but does anybody really care if a laptop's panel is 5:4 instead of 4:3? It's not like you're going to be showing TV broadcasts on it. As long as the pixels are square, nothing else should matter.

(Unless you're doing HD video work - then you need enough pixels to display it without scaling or scrolling. But nobody is going to be doing that on an iBook.)

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
shamino said:
I really don't care about widescreen or not. I just want more pixels than 1024x768. With today's software, it's just not enough. For some apps, it doesn't even leave you enough room to display the entire menu bar!

It does get really annoying when you have to start vertically stacking horizontal menu bars...pretty pathetic in some regards. Then again, you did purchase a 12 for ultra portability, some sacrifices come with it. I am willing to live them, but everyone has different limits.

Edit: 1000th post, wooty woot woot. :p

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
iPoster said:
1280x1024 on a 12" display? Hope it would come with a magnifying glass so you can read the fonts in applications, and identify the icons... ;)
At 1024 dots across (the size of current iBooks), a 12" screen (9.6" wide) is 106.67 pixels per inch. At 1280 dots across, it's 133.33 dots per inch.

Which isn't much different from what I run my desktop screens at home - 2048x1536 on a 20" display (128 dpi) and 1600x1200 on a 17" display (125 dpi).

When you consider the fact that LCD displays are much sharper than CRTs, this hypothetical 12" display should be easier to use than what I use right now.

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
shamino said:
True, but does anybody really care if a laptop's panel is 5:4 instead of 4:3? It's not like you're going to be showing TV broadcasts on it. As long as the pixels are square, nothing else should matter.

(Unless you're doing HD video work - then you need enough pixels to display it without scaling or scrolling. But nobody is going to be doing that on an iBook.)

Agreed, I was simply proving jeriqo's point that 1280x1024 is not 4:3 no matter which screen you put it on....if the screen is 4:3 and stetches it perhaps, but then it really isn't 1280x1024 anymore.

I personally don't care if my screen is 4:3 or 5:4 or 16:9 or whatever, it could prove a little annoying getting custom-made wallpapers to gel nicely with new sizes (lots of re-cropping and re-downloading in some cases) because it won't look good if you take a 1024x768 wallpaper and stretch it, at least I hate how that looks....I can't stand blurry stretched wallpapers.

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
shamino said:
At 1024 dots across (the size of current iBooks), a 12" screen (9.6" wide) is 106.67 pixels per inch. At 1280 dots across, it's 133.33 dots per inch.

Which isn't much different from what I run my desktop screens at home - 2048x1536 on a 20" display (128 dpi) and 1600x1200 on a 17" display (125 dpi).

When you consider the fact that LCD displays are much sharper than CRTs, this hypothetical 12" display should be easier to use than what I use right now.

Right, but you are not running those monitors are ''native'' resolutions. A 20" LCD runs native at 1600x1200. I personally prefer to over-res too, I like things smaller and seeing more, but it isn't native on LCDs and over-resing makes images look horrid on an LCD. A CRT is a different story, but last I checked the CRT-PowerBooks were out of stock :rolleyes:

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
BlizzardBomb said:
Anyways, there's more to the widescreen format than you think. The reason is that a widescreen format is much better suited to your eye's "field of vision"
That may be what they're saing today, but I suspect the reason for widescreen movies is far more mundane than that.

A 4:3 movie (or more precisely, 1.37:1 - what 35mm film uses when there's a soundtrack present) fills the photographic negative. As such, a projector with normal lenses will project a 4:3 image on a screen.

This is no big deal for home movies or small theaters - a 4:3 screen will pretty much fill the back wall of the theater.

But with large theaters, the back wall is much wider - because there are more seats in the room. But you can't magnify a 4:3 movie to cover the entire wall, because it will end up running onto the floor and ceiling.

Widescreen ratios (whether done via wider film (like 70mm), matting, or anamorphic lenses) solve this problem. The movie can now cover the width of the back wall of the theater, making for a more pleasurable viewing experience.

Of course, when shown in smaller theaters, it isn't that great, since you now have lots of unused screen space on the top and bottom. Which is why movies are sometimes released in multiple aspects to different theaters. This was particularly easy back when everybody used a soft-matte process (where the movie is full-frame 35mm and the projector masks off the top and bottom edges.)

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
efoto said:
Right, but you are not running those monitors are ''native'' resolutions.
These monitors are CRTs. I'm talking about my desktop systems.

You're right that laptops look best at the LCD's native resolution.
efoto said:
and over-resing makes images look horrid on an LCD.
True. If the image has more pixels than the panel, stuff has to get dropped, and it looks terrible.

But going the other direction (hi-res LCD and lower-res image) isn't necessarily a problem. I've seen some displays (like Apple's and some of Dell's) where the results are great. I've seen others where it's painful.

In other words, I think it would work fine to put a high-resolution panel into a 12" laptop. Those who think the native resolution is too high can lower it. If the display is designed properly, this shouldn't cause any major problems.

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
shamino said:
These monitors are CRTs. I'm talking about my desktop systems.

You're right that laptops look best at the LCD's native resolution.
True. If the image has more pixels than the panel, stuff has to get dropped, and it looks terrible.

But going the other direction (hi-res LCD and lower-res image) isn't necessarily a problem. I've seen some displays (like Apple's and some of Dell's) where the results are great. I've seen others where it's painful.

In other words, I think it would work fine to put a high-resolution panel into a 12" laptop. Those who think the native resolution is too high can lower it. If the display is designed properly, this shouldn't cause any major problems.

I misunderstood you at first, I get your point now. We are argueing the same, I just suck at it :p
I agree that a high-res panel in the portables would be welcome because dropping down (preserving the aspect ratio) usually looks fine on LCDs that are of decent quality but going up looks aweful. As soon as you said those resolutions for those size monitors I knew you were speaking CRT, just not going to happen on LCD.
I would think a 1280x1024 (or modified for widescreen, whatever they choose) would be pretty sweet now that I think about it more.

jeriqo

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2005
shamino said:

Maybe Microsoft didn't invent it, but problem is, most users having a 17 inch 4:3 monitor under windows use 1280x1024 resolution.. which does not produce square pixels.

Even worse, I've seen 4:3 LCD panels with default resolution at 1280x1024.

And finally, 5:4 is even less "wide" than 4:3.. so who wants it anyway..

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
jeriqo said:
Maybe Microsoft didn't invent it, but problem is, most users having a 17 inch 4:3 monitor under windows use 1280x1024 resolution.. which does not produce square pixels.
True. Which is why I've tweaked many Linux/XFree86 configurations to generate 1360x1024, which does have square pixels.

Or if I'm on Windows, where I don't have this option, I adjust the monitor to compress the image so that the pixels are square. Everything looks a little letterboxed, but it's quite useable.
jeriqo said:
Even worse, I've seen 4:3 LCD panels with default resolution at 1280x1024.
Yeah, that's a pretty bad idea.
jeriqo said:
And finally, 5:4 is even less "wide" than 4:3.. so who wants it anyway..
A 12" laptop with a 4:3 screen has 9.6" of horizontal space. A 5:4 screen in the same kind of laptop would also have 9.6" of horizontal space. The display will be just as wide as before. It will simply be a little taller, which really isn't a problem.

More pixels in both dimensions means you can see more on-screen, regardless of the proportions.

Aaon

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2004
Macosxrumors.com is speculating about the future of the ibook, and does not mention widescreen. However, they discuss upgrading the graphics card to a Mobility 9600, in order ot suppord Quartz extreme. But if this is true, then the ibook is still lacking support for coreimage... Thoughts? I would hate to see the ibook revision still leaving the graphics card lacking.... Though 512 mb standard memory would be nice!

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
shamino said:
<snip>A 12" laptop with a 4:3 screen has 9.6" of horizontal space. A 5:4 screen in the same kind of laptop would also have 9.6" of horizontal space. The display will be just as wide as before. It will simply be a little taller, which really isn't a problem.

More pixels in both dimensions means you can see more on-screen, regardless of the proportions.

I agree however one could also argue that a ''little taller'' which you mention would be a very bad thing in portables, specifically I think the 12 inch model. Having the same width as current but adding length towards the users (effective on the keyboard/palmrest area) would make the portable look a little strange IMO. I like the current setup, and I wouldn't mind the screen to be a little taller, but I would want wider with it too. Doing both of those, the logical step is to move to a larger computer, because essentially that is what would happen if I increased both width and height dimensions.

Like I said, I enjoy my 12 and prefer it just how it is. If they want to put in a higher-res panel then great, as long as it can be but down to 1024x768 and look good, I doubt they would get any complaints from old or new users. The option for high-res would be nice, but making it standard might piss a lot of people off, not everyone prefers to squint.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Aaon said:
Macosxrumors.com is speculating about the future of the ibook, and does not mention widescreen. However, they discuss upgrading the graphics card to a Mobility 9600, in order ot suppord Quartz extreme. But if this is true, then the ibook is still lacking support for coreimage... Thoughts? I would hate to see the ibook revision still leaving the graphics card lacking.... Though 512 mb standard memory would be nice!
Either they or you have it mixed up. The iBook's current graphics card supports Quartz Extreme just fine. A Mobility 9600 would support (hardware-accelerated) Core Image as well as Quartz Extreme.

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
How does this 9600 graphics card compare to the nVidia 5200 in the current 12 inch Powerbook? is it comparable? better? i just purchased a powerbook last weekend so don't want to suddenly see the ibook getting better hardware! ;)

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
dietcokevanilla said:
How does this 9600 graphics card compare to the nVidia 5200 in the current 12 inch Powerbook? is it comparable? better?
Well, considering that the Radeon 9600 series is CoreImage compatible, and the GeForce 5200 is not, that pretty much says it all for me.
dietcokevanilla said:
i just purchased a powerbook last weekend so don't want to suddenly see the ibook getting better hardware! ;)
Sorry. New models will always be better than the old models, no matter when you decide to buy.

w_parietti22

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2005
Seattle, WA
Toe said:
Widescreen would shrink the difference between iBook and PowerBook even further. Apart from the better video card and nicer looking Aluminum, will there really be any difference?

Perhaps they'll wait for the Intel chips, and put out fast widescreen iBooks, and turbo-fast, dual-core PowerBooks?

Right now... their isn;t much of difference between the iBook and The PowerBooks and I think thats one of the main reasons that we're moving to Intel. Once we get both the iBooks and the PowerBooks onto Intel processors, we will have fast widescreen iBoooks and Turbo-fast dual core PowerBooks. (Pentium M = iBook, Pentium M Yohan= PowerBooks, Sorry PPC fans, but I cant wait! :D )

w_parietti22

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2005
Seattle, WA
jeriqo said:
So, what will we get ?

I dont think they will, its more likely for them to drop the 14" instead of the 12. The only way that I see them droping the 12 is if they come out with a same spec TabletBook. (12" Touch Screen, 30gb HD, Combo Drive, 256mbs of Ram, 1.4GHz Pentium M)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.