Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

w_parietti22

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2005
Seattle, WA
wrldwzrd89 said:
Either they or you have it mixed up. The iBook's current graphics card supports Quartz Extreme just fine. A Mobility 9600 would support (hardware-accelerated) Core Image as well as Quartz Extreme.

This is the article shes talking about:

Macosxrumors.com said:
June 22, 2005 @ 8:48 pm (EST) — posted by Alexandros Roussos (Hardware)
Next generation iBook specifications?

One anonymous report reveals what could be the technical specs of the next generation iBook line. Although the source’s reliability cannot be verified, the information coincides with older reports and appears realistic enough to be considered.

According to the recent report, Apple is going to speed-bump the iBooks with PowerPC G4 processors running at 1.33Ghz in the entry level and 1.44Ghz in the mid and high-end. No change on the form factor was mentioned though.

As for the graphics, Apple should significally boost them with a Mobility Radeon 9600. Current iBooks use the Mobility Radeon 9200 with 32MB of VRAM. We can note that a Radeon 9600 would meet the official requirements for Quartz 2D Extreme to be enabled on Apple’s bottom line laptops.

Storage and RAM are expected to be increased as well: a 40GB hard disk for the entry level and a 60GB for the mid and high-end models. Standard RAM should be increased to 512MB across the line but older reports suggested that the entry level iBook would remain with 256MB.

The source believes the new iBook line will be released during the next three months and speculates that they could be announced during AppleExpo opening keynote which takes place in Paris in September. Pricing should remain the same for all the three models.

If you can confirm this report or if you have any additional information that could help, don’t hesitate to drop us a line.

What do they mean by offically supporting Quartz 2D Extreme? I know the iBook already supports it, but is it not official or something?

Also I think this is a fake, becuase Freescalle Doesn't currently offer a 1.44 MPC7447A processor. the closest is a 1.42 (Currently in the Mac Mini and eMac)

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
w_parietti22 said:
This is the article shes talking about:

What do they mean by offically supporting Quartz 2D Extreme? I know the iBook already supports it, but is it not official or something?

Also I think this is a fake, becuase Freescalle Doesn't currently offer a 1.44 MPC7447A processor. the closest is a 1.42 (Currently in the Mac Mini and eMac)
Quartz Extreme is not the same thing as Quartz 2D Extreme. The iBook officially supports Quartz Extreme, but does not support Quartz 2D Extreme (an enhanced version of Quartz Extreme).

w_parietti22

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2005
Seattle, WA
wrldwzrd89 said:
Quartz Extreme is not the same thing as Quartz 2D Extreme. The iBook officially supports Quartz Extreme, but does not support Quartz 2D Extreme (an enhanced version of Quartz Extreme).

Thanks for clearing that up.

MarkCollette

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2003
Toronto, Canada
wrldwzrd89 said:

Quartz Extreme is hardware acceleration of the compositor.

Quartz 2D Extreme is hardware acceleration of the actual drawing commands.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
MarkCollette said:
Quartz Extreme is hardware acceleration of the compositor.

Quartz 2D Extreme is hardware acceleration of the actual drawing commands.
Quartz 2D Extreme accelerates the compositor AND the actual drawing commands. That's why it's significantly better than Quartz Extreme. Think of Quartz 2D Extreme as "Quartz Extreme v2.0".

MarkCollette

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2003
Toronto, Canada
wrldwzrd89 said:
Quartz 2D Extreme accelerates the compositor AND the actual drawing commands. That's why it's significantly better than Quartz Extreme. Think of Quartz 2D Extreme as "Quartz Extreme v2.0".

Although we both meant the same thing, your explanation was better than mine.

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
BenRoethig said:
They can only update when better processors are available.
... or better video chips, or bigger hard drives, or faster optical drives...

Not every update is a CPU speed increase, although those are generally the only kinds that have accompanying press releases.

Tastannin

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2003
UT
For those who are saving up - at least you can save up more and then you can add more to your new iBook! :) At least thats how I see it.

JonMaker

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2004
here.
shamino said:
That may be what they're saing today, but I suspect the reason for widescreen movies is far more mundane than that...

Okay... you make it sound really mundane. Wow. Thanks for the enlightenment.

Ever thought about the non-visual benefits of a widescreen laptop?

- less torque on the hinges.
- more space for the keyboard.
- more manageable shape.
- easier to fit on the lap.
- it beats "tallscreen".

TrenchMouth

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2002
Tastannin said:
For those who are saving up - at least you can save up more and then you can add more to your new iBook! :) At least thats how I see it.

glad someone sees it this way...i see it as having to spend another week with a 4 year old computer that gives me spinning beachballs when i scroll through my itunes catalague...:rolleyes:

is alright, i will be totally ready for the upgrade when it comes.

Tastannin

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2003
UT
I figure that if I am saving up for an iBook, and by the time I'm ready or the new ones come out, I probably could afford a 12" Powerbook! LOL. :eek:

amin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
wdlove said:
An upgrade to the iBook is needed. Entry level buyers to a laptop should also be able to enjoy a wide screen.

I agree very much. My wife bought a Dell 700m a few weeks ago for about $1100, and the main factor to her was the sharp widescreen display.

As for me, I couldn't wait any longer for MacTel... broke down and bought a new 15" Powerbook today. The only disappointment is the Wifi range, which is no better than the range on my Rev A 12" PB. The aluminum must be the problem, because the range is pretty awful. Otherwise this is one sweet laptop! I'll probably still upgrade in a year to a Rev B dual core joint, but until then I'm confident this will serve me well!

taytho

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2005
KC, MO
ibook update?

when can i expect this ibook update. i am a college student and would love it if i could get an updated ibook and a coupon for the ipod mini.... that would be great. is that going to be possible? i would really like to get this book before classes resume in mid august. this will be the big switch for me from pc to mac and i would like to do it soon and get accustomed to everything so i can convert more at school. let me know if you know anything..... i have been holding my breath at all possible release dates for weeks.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
This brings up a funny little oddity. With all the different screen sizes it makes having backgrounds (desktop pictures) more difficult. Which do you save them in? Pick one, waste memory or look chunky monkey.

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
Adding a widescreen may increase the cost of an iBook by a noticeable amount.

I hope that the cost of displays has dropped enough as to where widescreens can be applied to the iBook lineup without increasing the cost too much. Optimistically, the price won't change at all.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
SiliconAddict said:
When was the last time you walked into a Best Buy, Circuit City, etc?

I don't consider it a trend when most TV shows now are in widescreen. Star Trek, West Wing, CSI, Battlestar Galactica, Stargate, etc. Hell a lot of TV commercials are in widescreen as well. Next time you see a commercial on TV check for borders on your 4:3 TV.

Its happening.

So going for 2 feet in yer mouth, eh (foot #1 was 'bout movies always being widescreen)? ;)

Most TV shows are not in widescreen. In fact, very few TV shows are in widescreen. There's thousands of hours of original TV programing and very little of it is not 4:3. And there's even less if you only count "true" 16x9 (i.e. producing content in 4:3 and then lettering boxing it doesn't count as true 16x9)

The transition is happening but it's going at a snail's pace. Honest to God few people, relatively speaking, really care enough to pay it. In spite of all the hype and buzzwords there is an under-whelming demand for HDTV and widescreen.

Lethal

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
LethalWolfe said:
Most TV shows are not in widescreen. In fact, very few TV shows are in widescreen. There's thousands of hours of original TV programing and very little of it is not 4:3. And there's even less if you only count "true" 16x9 (i.e. producing content in 4:3 and then lettering boxing it doesn't count as true 16x9)

The transition is happening but it's going at a snail's pace. Honest to God few people, relatively speaking, really care enough to pay it. In spite of all the hype and buzzwords there is an under-whelming demand for HDTV and widescreen.
I would say it's growing faster than that. But maybe not much faster.

Since I got my widescreen TV, I've started paying attention to widescreen programming. I've noticed that a lot of NBC's shows are now formatted that way (like ER and Conan O'Brien's show). Of course, they're letterboxed when broadcast, so people with 4:3 TV's won't see distortion, (meaning there's less resolution than a 4:3 program), but people that tune in to the HD broadcast (if you have an HD tuner or digital cable) see it as true wide-screen.

But you're right that, aside from a few signature programs, the broadcast networks are not moving all that quickly. Some of the cable channels are moving faster, but most of them don't have HD broadcasts, which makes you wonder what the point is. (At least they're proper widescreen shows when the DVDs come out :) )

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
Tastannin said:
That's what I did, somehow, i had enough money the day of the update... it is currently "preparing shipment"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.