Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ILowry82

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
They promised late October. There is an apple event scheduled for the 27th to announce MacBook updates. Seems like the perfect time to announce that airpods go on sale the following day.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
That's my thinking. The 28th is late as it can likely be in my opinion. Will be ordering a pair.

Gzalito

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2015
Im surprised that allegedly one week to the "launch" no site are naming then.. no leak... no nothing.. I think that if they were to be available the 28th all the apple sites would already had been posting the news

edlex

macrumors 68020
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
Im surprised that allegedly one week to the "launch" no site are naming then.. no leak... no nothing.. I think that if they were to be available the 28th all the apple sites would already had been posting the news

It is a little eerie how quiet things are considering how high the demand is expected to be. I wouldn't be surprised if the date slips into November to properly ramp up production. Funny how in the Apple Store app when you look at the Beats X it says Fall but the airpods just say unavailable. Only the website says "late October".

Reactions: Gzalito

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
It is a little eerie how quiet things are considering how high the demand is expected to be. I wouldn't be surprised if the date slips into November to properly ramp up production. Funny how in the Apple Store app when you look at the Beats X it says Fall but the airpods just say unavailable. Only the website says "late October".
I think that production will have ramped up already. It may not be a mainstream release but people will want these in their xmas stocking so Apple will be well prepared for big orders

edlex

macrumors 68020
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
I think that production will have ramped up already. It may not be a mainstream release but people will want these in their xmas stocking so Apple will be well prepared for big orders

My point is that they may want to delay only to assure sufficient quantities are available once they go live. Apple doesn't want another Apple Pencil debacle on their hands. A lot of people are going to buy these and not just Apple owners. The fact that Christmas is right around the corner doesn't help either.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Just hope it's available straight away

I imagine it would be as we have been waiting since iPhone keynote. Be interesting how much stock they have.
[doublepost=1477238389][/doublepost]
It is not acceptable to control the volume through Siri
Not an issue for those with an Apple Watch. I'm sure apple see these air pods for people who they view would already have an Apple Watch.

lawful

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2012
Just hope it's available straight away

I imagine it would be as we have been waiting since iPhone keynote. Be interesting how much stock they have.
[doublepost=1477238389][/doublepost]
Not an issue for those with an Apple Watch. I'm sure apple see these air pods for people who they view would already have an Apple Watch.

I have Apple Watch, but simply do not use it every day. I like to Exchange watches.

Reactions: AppleRobert

twinlight

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2016
I sure hope they will be available after the event. I am waiting for them to become available so I can order the 7 plus.

Reactions: joscejrod

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
I don't think volume control will be as simple as an update, which doesn't help early adopters.
Agreed. The only way to interact with the Airpods is by tapping, and the accelerometers then identify that tapping. There is only one way Apple can use the tapping for volume controls, especially since the controls would have to be usable while listening to just one Airpod, and it is clunky at best. I'm sure Apple could program in some kind of three, four, five tap recognition for music controls; it just doesn't seem like something they'd actually do though.

What would be neat is if in the second version they were able to design it in such a way that the bottom .25-.5" of the Airpod rotated around the central chamber, and let you adjust the volume that way. It'd be kind of like the Digital Crown for the Airpod. That, or program into the W2 chip some kind of ambient noise monitoring that would dynamically adjust the volume of the headphones to keep the loudness of the music the same no matter what environment you are in; drowning out a certain level of ambient noise. It would take some calibration of course. One can only dream!

Reactions: AlphaHumanus

Munky

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2011
Sounds like the Airpods aren't for you then. Best of luck!
[doublepost=1477268970][/doublepost]
My point is that they may want to delay only to assure sufficient quantities are available once they go live. Apple doesn't want another Apple Pencil debacle on their hands.
Oh yeah! Man, CNN was talking about that one for weeks!
[doublepost=1477269031][/doublepost]
Powerbeats3, BeatsX & AirPods all to be released on the 27th.
I would love for you to be right. I'd definitely go in the store and get some immediately. However, if it is on sale asap it will probably be Friday the 28th.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

So don't purchase them. And it might be likely you can control the volume through your iPhone for the volume as well. But don't post silly remarks about how's it "Unaccetpable." I think Apple will determine what it's acceptable, not by your standards.

Reactions: lirn8

hufflematt

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2015
UK
So don't purchase them. And it might be likely you can control the volume through your iPhone for the volume as well. But don't post silly remarks about how's it "Unaccetpable." I think Apple will determine what it's acceptable, not by your standards.

Actually, the customer decides what is and is not acceptable to them.

How disappointing that this thread has turned into one of those tedious Apple-is-perfect-and-above-criticism-dissent-will-not-be-tolerated threads.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Actually, the customer decides what is and is not acceptable to them.

How disappointing that this thread has turned into one of those tedious Apple-is-perfect-and-above-criticism-dissent-will-not-be-tolerated threads.

Don't kid yourself. The customer has options. If you don't like the product, then move onto something that suits your needs. Don't preach what's acceptable and what isn't. Especially About a product which isn't even released As of yet, in which case the iPhone can serve as an alternative for volume control. The Airpods are a first Gen product, which will evolve over time.

And threads have various opinions, some
Of which those opinions you may or may not want to hear. At least those with thin skin.

And please provide quotes on this thread where someone stated Apple is perfect and or subjected to any of this nature on this thread. I'm guessing you can't. I understand. It's not about Apple being perfect, because they are not.

Last edited:
Reactions: MLVC
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.