Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will22

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
Don't kid yourself. The customer has options. If you don't like the product, then move onto something that suits your needs. Don't preach what's acceptable and what isn't. Especially About a product which isn't even released As of yet, in which case the iPhone can serve as an alternative for volume control. The Airpods are a first Gen product, which will evolve over time.

And threads have various opinions, some
Of which those opinions you may or may not want to hear. At least those with thin skin.

And please provide quotes on this thread where someone stated Apple is perfect and or subjected to any of this nature on this thread. I'm guessing you can't. I understand. It's not about Apple being perfect, because they are not.

Love Apple much?:eek:

Munky

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2011
How disappointing that this thread has turned into one of those tedious Apple-is-perfect-and-above-criticism-dissent-will-not-be-tolerated threads.
Big difference in "While I believe controls on the headphones are important, let's wait and see how users react to it when they possibly go on sale later this week", and "Oh holy **** there aren't any controls on the headphones? HOW WILL YOU SWITCH SONGS?! I"M SWITCHING TO ANDROID HEADPHONES! APPLE IS DOOMED, THIS COMPANY CAN"T INNOVATE. COURAGE. STEVE JOBS GRAVE!"

This is what people complain about.

Reactions: 44267547 and MLVC

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
Get a watch
Inconvenient, as the remote app is not always running in the foreground. I do own an AppleWatch, but still prefer the inline controls of the earbud cable for ease of use and faster response.

Agreed. The only way to interact with the Airpods is by tapping, and the accelerometers then identify that tapping. There is only one way Apple can use the tapping for volume controls,
Interestingly enough, calling Siri is done by a double tap. So the single tap is still "available" for other functionality. I see no reason to leave out the single tap, unless it is targeted at a different functionality.

Thus they could use a single tap to skip (right AirPod = next track, left AirPod = prev track) and leaving your finger on the Pod to control volume (right AirPod = Volume up, left AirPod = volume down). Play/pause is realized by removing a Pod.

Sounds a bit clumsy, but imho still far less intrusive than having to "discuss" with Siri in public places. On the other hand - with some of the design decisions by the Apple of late, I would not be surprised if Siri would indeed be the only direct interaction option for 1st gen AirPods. :confused:

especially since the controls would have to be usable while listening to just one Airpod
Why? Standard scenario would be both AirPods present.

If one AirPod would get lost, there would still be sufficient backup options (Siri, AppleWatch, iPhone) to bridge the gap until a replacement is available. Ongoing usage of only one Airpod would not be the default scenario.

MDePew24

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2008
Ballwin, MO
Inconvenient, as the remote app is not always running in the foreground. I do own an AppleWatch, but still prefer the inline controls of the earbud cable for ease of use and faster response.

Interestingly enough, calling Siri is done by a double tap. So the single tap is still "available" for other functionality. I see no reason to leave out the single tap, unless it is targeted at a different functionality.

Thus they could use a single tap to skip (right AirPod = next track, left AirPod = prev track) and leaving your finger on the Pod to control volume (right AirPod = Volume up, left AirPod = volume down). Play/pause is realized by removing a Pod.

Sounds a bit clumsy, but imho still far less intrusive than having to "discuss" with Siri in public places. On the other hand - with some of the design decisions by the Apple of late, I would not be surprised if Siri would indeed be the only direct interaction option for 1st gen AirPods. :confused:

If one AirPod would get lost, there would still be sufficient backup options (Siri, AppleWatch, iPhone) to bridge the gap until a replacement is available. Ongoing usage of only one Airpod would not be the default scenario.

The control per airpod is an option but not a good one. What if you only have one airpod in?

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013

I am just guessing here, but it feels like they wouldn't use one tap because a single tap can be registered on accident multiple times throughout the day. Even just taking one Airpod out to pause the music could inadvertently be registered as a single tap and result in a skipped song. As far as I understand it, the volume control cannot be done by leaving your finger on the Airpod as the Airpod uses an accelerometer for the input method. Having a motionless finger on it would not indicate any sort of input to the accelerometer and result in nothing, thereby leaving volume controls available only to increasing numbers of taps. I feel it is just as you described: Apple wants people to use Siri for lots of stuff, and the Airpods are kind of the ultimate Siri machines.

It is understandable that both Airpods need to be present to use the multiple taps feature for volume and whatnot, but Apple advertises using one at a time, and it would not make much sense to exclude controls when using just one, especially since both Airpods have the capability to invoke Siri. It would confuse people as to why they have to use the right one to do this functionality and the left for the other, when separated both can be used to talk to Siri. Although, you can't really invoke Siri when on a call to change the volume anyway...

vikingjunior

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2011
I was going to get the AirPods mainly for work driving, I would just use one Airpod. Although messing around with the watch while driving to raise and lower volume sounds cumbersome and dangerous. At least with a control I can just use volume by feel and don't have to take my eyes off the road.

Reactions: lawful
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.