Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MCube74

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2010
Hong Kong
Any chance for the AirPods to release in black color as well?

I have seen a couple of sites with pictures of the AirPods in black. Not sure if they are the real thing.

I will prefer getting it in black any day.

Kevsta26

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2011
USA
It's 99.9% unlikely. I'd say 100% but I mean anything is possible.

Every plastic/similar iOS device Apple accessory minus cases (chargers, cords, EarPods, etc.) are and have always been white. I wouldn't see Apple releasing a black version as white accessories are iconic to their brand.

The pictures you saw online are purely concepts and mock ups. I would love black though, I just never see it happening!

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Any chance for the AirPods to release in black color as well?

I have seen a couple of sites with pictures of the AirPods in black. Not sure if they are the real thing.

I will prefer getting it in black any day.

Eventually Apple will release a black pair of EarPods. But there has been no formal announcement as of yet. The pictures you saw were likely renditions of what to expect in the future. For now, the white Airpods are set to be released in late October.

MCube74

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2010
Hong Kong
i see. I actually saw pictures on a Chinese site of the black AirPods and they looked real.

rijc99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2015
A few months later. To get the early adopters to buy a second pair.

Similar to how they came out with a black aluminum sport watch a few months after the initial run of space grey aluminum watch.

MCube74

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2010
Hong Kong
If they will release the black one later then I will surely wait for them but then nothing is official yet.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
A few months later. To get the early adopters to buy a second pair.

Similar to how they came out with a black aluminum sport watch a few months after the initial run of space grey aluminum watch.

Wrong. Apple released a Space Gray and silver aluminum Sport Watch together when they released in April 2015. There was no 'black aluminum' Apple Watch Released months later. The only other Watch is the Space Black Stainless Steel Watch, which also released in April 2015.

C64

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
They've never released EarPods (or the earbuds before that) in black, so why would they start now. The white is iconic and instantly recognizable, which makes it valuable. Hard to see why they'd want to lose that advantage. People will buy them anyway, and the money they miss from the few who don't (and also don't buy Beats) is insignificant.

MCube74

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2010
Hong Kong
Lets see what happens. I am sure more news will be out before the AirPods go on sale or available for pre-order. I am hoping the will release a limited edition for the Jet Black phones.

rockyromero

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2015
Lets see what happens. I am sure more news will be out before the AirPods go on sale or available for pre-order. I am hoping the will release a limited edition for the Jet Black phones.
There seems to be a pent-up interest in black Airpods.

If not Apple, then someone will offer a sticky black cover.

The sales projections that I've read estimate Airpods to be more successful than Apple Music. A $12B plus market. Considering that there are over 1B EarPod users already, it's natural that many will gravitate to the Airpods.

With quantity and interest, comes color variety.

One day.

AlphaHumanus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2012
There seems to be a pent-up interest in black Airpods.

If not Apple, then someone will offer a sticky black cover.

The sales projections that I've read estimate Airpods to be more successful than Apple Music. A $12B plus market. Considering that there are over 1B EarPod users already, it's natural that many will gravitate to the Airpods.

With quantity and interest, comes color variety.

One day.

I think that's a gross overestimate. I'd look more closely at the numbers involving owners of $129+ Bluetooth headphones, not in the box equipment.

I'd buy black over white, but I'm not holding my breath. Im excited to see the new silhouette airpod commercials.

rijc99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2015
Wrong. Apple released a Space Gray and silver aluminum Sport Watch together when they released in April 2015. There was no 'black aluminum' Apple Watch Released months later. The only other Watch is the Space Black Stainless Steel Watch, which also released in April 2015.

Ok. Should've said Originally aluminum only came in Space Grey then they released it in Gold and Rose Gold.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.

Every plastic/similar apple accessory minus cases (chargers, cords, EarPods, etc.) are and have always been white. I wouldn't see Apple releasing a black version as white accessories are iconic to their brand.

The pictures you saw online are purely concepts and mock ups. I would love black though, I just never see it happening!

That's not strictly true. They have released different coloured charge docks.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
103936584-3ED1-SA-AppleMossberg-091316.600x400.jpg

Honestly, they need to be skin tone. They are just way too long.

scotio200

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2015
Cant see it happening, Apple seem to love the white plastic for all accessories for some reason. The aluminium docks are really the only exception that are not cases.

Even the black U2 iPod came with white earbuds

Wont take long for a skin place to release something id imagine, or Colorware but they will be expensive.

Id love to be proven wrong though.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Cant see it happening, Apple seem to love the white plastic for all accessories for some reason. The aluminium docks are really the only exception that are not cases.

Even the black U2 iPod came with white earbuds

Wont take long for a skin place to release something id imagine, or Colorware but they will be expensive.

Id love to be proven wrong though.
The EarPods were a secondary symbol of the iPhone for a long time. It was a style play in the early 2000s that iPod users had their EarPods in. The white was a big piece of the brand.

Reactions: The1n

Kevsta26

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2011
USA
That's not strictly true. They have released different coloured charge docks.

That's why I said plastic/similar material specifically because I know those charging docks are different colors, but they're aluminum ;)

viettanium

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
Vietnam

Every plastic/similar apple accessory minus cases (chargers, cords, EarPods, etc.) are and have always been white. I wouldn't see Apple releasing a black version as white accessories are iconic to their brand.

HDMI and Thunderbolt cables are black.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.