Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kevsta26

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2011
USA
HDMI and Thunderbolt cables are black.

Every plastic/similar iOS device Apple accessory then. But, to be honest, the HDMI and Thunderbolt cables aren't really relevant with AirPods as they're mainly focused as an iOS device accessory and represent the wireless EarPod design and color.

alphacen

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2016
It'll never happen. White headphones have been part of Apple marketing since the introduction of the iPod. Those ubiquitous white headphones ARE Apple. It's free advertising that screams Apple when you see them. Sometimes things become synonymous with a brand and in Apple's case, it's the white headphones.
ipod_1757255c.jpg

Last edited:

rockyromero

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2015
It'll never happen. White headphones have been part of Apple marketing since the introduction of the iPod. Those ubiquitous white headphones ARE Apple. It's free advertising that screams Apple when you see them. Sometimes things become synonymous with a brand and in Apple's case, it's the white headphones.

I think you're right.

Many are hoping you're wrong.

With Apple potentially selling an additional 15M iPhones due to Samsung's smartphone crisis, there will be more Airpods sold.

I'll get used to white & advertising for Apple.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
ipod_1757255c.jpg
White headphones are iconic for Apple.

Reactions: alphacen

yadmonkey

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2002
Western Spiral
I'd be surprised if they don't come out with black eventually. The wired headsets are utilitarian and "nickel and dime" by Apple standards. These are marketed as a sexy, genre-defining accessory (I for one quite like the look). I wouldn't be surprised to see multiple colors down the road. Black, Product RED, etc.

Also, to those who say never, I'm adding you to my imaginary list of people who incorrectly said "never" about Apple stuff over the years. I think it will happen.

rockyromero

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2015
I'd be surprised if they don't come out with black eventually. The wired headsets are utilitarian and "nickel and dime" by Apple standards. These are marketed as a sexy, genre-defining accessory (I for one quite like the look). I wouldn't be surprised to see multiple colors down the road. Black, Product RED, etc.

More than color, I'm intrigued with what else can be done with the W1 chip inside the Airpods.

Will it be a powerful computer or sound traffic director in our ears that will shift our lives?

Is this the closest that we have come to the path to brain implants?

We'll know soon enough.

alphacen

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2016

Also, to those who say never, I'm adding you to my imaginary list of people who incorrectly said "never" about Apple stuff over the years. I think it will happen.
From a pure marketing standpoint and brand identity, I can guarantee there won't be other colors of the headphones. I'm so sure of it, I'd be willing to make a wager on it. When you establish a symbol that's an iconic representation of your brand, you don't change it. Just like the BMW logo. People know it's a BMW based solely on the white and blue logo and that's not going to change. If you started making other colors it dilutes the brand identity and defeats the purpose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.