Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Taofkebxo

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 6, 2020
Will FaceID on iPhones work if a third party tries to repair or replace the parts with non-genuine parts or any of the FaceID parts get damaged, or tampered with?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
It depends on who handles the repair. With proper equipment, yes. Without them, no.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Before attempting any kind of 3rd party repair, I'd want to know what their warranty is and I'd want them to be fairly reputable (i.e. likely to not close up shop in a month or six). Because even if Face ID works immediately after, if it fails on a future iOS update or whatever... Apple's gonna charge you a fortune to fix it.

Reactions: addamas

GoofyCyborg

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2013
Wales, UK
Before attempting any kind of 3rd party repair, I'd want to know what their warranty is and I'd want them to be fairly reputable (i.e. likely to not close up shop in a month or six). Because even if Face ID works immediately after, if it fails on a future iOS update or whatever... Apple's gonna charge you a fortune to fix it.
Apple are going to charge a fortune either way to be fair!

Reactions: Shirasaki

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
Probably less to fix it in the first place than to repair the collateral damage otherwise.
Hard to get good work done these days, but more likely to get it from someone with manufacturer support, parts, & tools.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Yeah cause they earn way more from you buying new device (and destroying planet in the process) than trying to fix the device for a fee.
I have seen enough of such instances to cast serious doubt on Apple’s claims in this area.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Per iFixit, the Face ID circuit seems to be fairly fragile.

And probably can't simply replace a Face ID circuit as there is digital signatures, communication with Secure Enclave going on, so need Apple Authorized repair person/tools to make sure the pieces are properly communicating.

Beelzbub

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2012
From personal experience, no the Face ID will not work if done from a third party. My daughter had an iPhone 11, and something happened to the screen at school and it almost shattered. Regardless of what actually caused the screen to break, I took it to a place nearby to get the screen replaced because it was recommended from a friend and the nearest Apple Store is a ways away. It cost me $200 to get it fixed. The place replaced the screen and it looked amazing, however we get it home and Face ID doesn't work. And that's not all. I could not update iOS on it because the WiFi was also messed up, it would work and not work, etc.. and then when I finally got iOS 16.3.x downloaded, it would not install because it didn't recognize the screen. We also had issues with the cellular radio as well, calls cutting in and out. I regret taking it to this place and wish I would have just drove to Apple. Anyways, I ended up upgrading my iPhone and giving her my 12 Pro, never again will I go to a third party, lesson learned.

Peter K.

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2012
Philly / SoCal / Jersey Shore
I will tell you my point of view. I have replaced the battery on several iPhones; I decided to try my luck again on my iPhone X.

I messed something up and screwed up the screen, so I ordered a new screen. However, switching out the screen on a face ID phone requires one to remove FaceID components from the old screen and install them on the new one.

Apparently, I did something wrong, as the phone’s FaceID no longer works. My two cents.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.