Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pepsi123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2023
I'm really unsure. Have had several macbooks and ipads over the years. Now I have sold all my devices and will buy a new one.
Should I go for the ipad or macbook again?
I am not a photo/video editor, nor do I do any coding and Apple pencil will not be used.
Need a small and light machine, for surfing the net, social media (scrolling through Instagram, TikTok etc), netflix, youtube, e-mail and being able to do simpler jobs in numbers.
I can't afford both, so I have to choose.
I have initially considered the Ipad mini 6, Ipad pro 11 or Macbook M1 (due to price) or M2.

Any good advice?

Elusi

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2023
All those everyday things are of course doable on both platforms. Personally I'd be hesitant about not having a personal traditional computer first and foremost (ie Macbook) before going iPad.

My reasoning is that even if your everyday can get done on iPad, once you do get sent that file which can only be opened with that specific program, you'll be asking someone else for help or to borrow a computer or what-not.

I love the iPad but in the hierarchy of tech I view it as the third device to get, after phone and laptop. The Macbook is just more versatile.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
All those everyday things are of course doable on both platforms. Personally I'd be hesitant about not having a personal traditional computer first and foremost (ie Macbook) before going iPad.

My reasoning is that even if your everyday can get done on iPad, once you do get sent that file which can only be opened with that specific program, you'll be asking someone else for help or to borrow a computer or what-not.

I love the iPad but in the hierarchy of tech I view it as the third device to get, after phone and laptop. The Macbook is just more versatile.
Second this. Some web-based forms/tests also didn't display properly when using iPad (Safari, Chrome, etc - the engine are all the same) - had this experience when I have job interview/selection.

If you have already had several iPads and Macbooks previously, it should be easy to determine which of them is most effective & reliable for your use case.

Euroamerican

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2010
Boise
If you don't need a portable MacOS device, then how's about a Mac Mini at home for sit-down work and iPad super duper for everything else.....

There are a few articles on the web where people tried to go cold turkey on the MacOS and live JUST on their iPad Pro. Might be worth bit of study.

Pepsi123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2023
by the time you add a keypad to the iPad, it costs more and weighs more then an M1 Macbook Air.

How much input/typing will you be doing?
Will not be typing very often. I guess 90% will be social media and reading newspapers.
Once in a while do some work in numbers.

sparkhill

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2010
A simple rule: are you mostly consuming content or creating content?

iPad shines for consumption.
MacBook shines for creation.

Obviously, you can consume and create on both devices. Grab an Amazon basic Bluetooth keyboard and the iPad works well for email.

Pepsi123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2023
A simple rule: are you mostly consuming content or creating content?

iPad shines for consumption.
MacBook shines for creation.

Obviously, you can consume and create on both devices. Grab an Amazon basic Bluetooth keyboard and the iPad works well for email.
I'm mostly consuming, so I guess the Ipad will be my "go to" device 99/100.
I can absolutely see the advantages of a Macbook, but I prefer having my device in my hands while relaxing on the couch, so the ipad is probably the best.

It's a shame that the Ipad pro 11 costs more than an M1 Macbook Air o_O

Reactions: G5isAlive

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
I'm mostly consuming, so I guess the Ipad will be my "go to" device 99/100.
I can absolutely see the advantages of a Macbook, but I prefer having my device in my hands while relaxing on the couch, so the ipad is probably the best.

It's a shame that the Ipad pro 11 costs more than an M1 Macbook Air o_O
For media consumption and other daily usage you dont need iPad Pro 11, iPad Air 5 or even Mini 6 will fit your needs and they cost less.

And the money you’ll save you can put aside towards M1/M2 MBA…

Reactions: G5isAlive

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
I own both an 11" iPad Pro and an M2 air, I mainly use both for context consumption and I grab the MacBook 99% of the time as I do love to browse and comment on forums which is far nicer on the Mac when sitting on the couch.

Pepsi123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2023
Ok, so I have changed my mind :rolleyes:
I'm sending back til Ipad Pro M2. To be honest it's way to overkill for my use. I can't defend spending so much money on a tablet just for scrolling social media.

I will get the M1 MBA (M2 is way to expensive in Norway at this point) and an Ipad Mini 6 in stead. A bit skeptical about buying the M1 considering future updates on Mac OS, but it's a chance I'll take.
I don't think the Mini 7 will be that revolutionary compared to the Mini 6, so that should be fine.

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
Ok, so I have changed my mind :rolleyes:
I'm sending back til Ipad Pro M2. To be honest it's way to overkill for my use. I can't defend spending so much money on a tablet just for scrolling social media.

I will get the M1 MBA (M2 is way to expensive in Norway at this point) and an Ipad Mini 6 in stead. A bit skeptical about buying the M1 considering future updates on Mac OS, but it's a chance I'll take.
I don't think the Mini 7 will be that revolutionary compared to the Mini 6, so that should be fine.
For your needs, M1 MBA plus iPad Mini 6 is the better choice, congrats.

Don’t sweat about M1 and OS updates, you’ll be fine for the next years. As for Mini 6 vs 7, probably the only difference will be extra RAM…

eicca

Suspended
Oct 23, 2014
No you will not. I have an M1 iPad Pro 12.9 after having to give up my M1 Air because laptops aggravate my carpal tunnel. I miss that laptop every day. Insanely fast, incredible battery, almost zero heat, macOS versatility.

The M1 MacBook Air will be remembered as one of the best computers Apple ever made.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.