Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raythompsontn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2023
The M1 MacBook Air will be remembered as one of the best computers Apple ever made.
Opinions are good and yours is valid. But having owned both devices I tend to think the M2 Air 13" is one of the better portable computers that Apple has made. The size is great for traveling and using on an airplane or train. It fits well on the tray table. The screen is bigger on the M2. I like the full size function keys. The performance has been excellent for my needs.

After using the Air I attempted to use the new MacBook Pro. I found it heavy and too thick compared to my M2. The difference in screen brightness was not an issue. Speakers, who cares? I use headphones. Speed makes no difference for my use.

For me trading in the M1 Air for the M2 Air was a good decision. I cannot speak for others as to each their own preference.

And I am off-topic. Apologies.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
Opinions are good and yours is valid. But having owned both devices I tend to think the M2 Air 13" is one of the better portable computers that Apple has made. The size is great for traveling and using on an airplane or train. It fits well on the tray table. The screen is bigger on the M2. I like the full size function keys. The performance has been excellent for my needs.

After using the Air I attempted to use the new MacBook Pro. I found it heavy and too thick compared to my M2. The difference in screen brightness was not an issue. Speakers, who cares? I use headphones. Speed makes no difference for my use.

For me trading in the M1 Air for the M2 Air was a good decision. I cannot speak for others as to each their own preference.

And I am off-topic. Apologies.
The M2 air is the better overall laptop but it received a lot of backlash because of the price increase and many just tried to right it off. M1 air was also a major upgrade compared to its predecessor so the m2 not being as big of a leap was apparently not welcomed either, even though that was a very unrealistic expectation to have lol.

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
The M2 air is the better overall laptop but it received a lot of backlash because of the price increase and many just tried to right it off. M1 air was also a major upgrade compared to its predecessor so the m2 not being as big of a leap was apparently not welcomed either, even though that was a very unrealistic expectation to have lol.
It depends if you talking about the design or the CPU, compared to old Intel CPU the M1 was a big jump, but still the M1 MBA used 10 year old design, while M2 MBA having new and fresh design that is much better, but power wise it's not that big of a jump between M1 & M2.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
It depends if you talking about the design or the CPU, compared to old Intel CPU the M1 was a big jump, but still the M1 MBA used 10 year old design, while M2 MBA having new and fresh design that is much better, but power wise it's not that big of a jump between M1 & M2.
For me it was the design that sold me. I was definitely tempted to try Mac when the m2 came out but when I went to see it in person, it just looked dated, especially the big bezels on the screen. I very much prefer the m2 design and still appreciate the snappy speed of it for my day to day usage. Overall I think it was a great upgrade over the m1, its a shame a lot of people got so hung up on the price

Reactions: Macbookey and geta

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
Since you will be writing emails, and especially work in Numbers, I would definitely recommend the MacBook Air. You are just too limited with the iPad for serious work in these cases. The rest the iPad handles very well.

Going to beg to differ here with you, if you get the keyboard with the iPad (yeah I know expensive keyboard) and pair it with a BT mouse you have lying around, it's just as easy to reply to email as a MBA, and I would say just as good for numbers as long as the spreadsheet isn't too big. He did say simple. Sure you can give the nod to the MBA, but it's like 49:51, not like 10:90 which is how I interpret 'definitely recommend.' And yes, I own and use both. And which I use for email is really more a matter of which I have with me at the time, I definitely would not put down my iPad to go get my MBA for that.

What I do put down the iPad for is when I need MS Word, or Photoshop, or even Excel, but thats more about MS than the devices lol

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
If you can only afford two devices, I would recommend an iPhone plus MBA. The iPad is a great third auxiliary device.

By the time you upgrade an iPad Air or Pro to 256GB and add the MK, the cost is essentially the same as an M2 MBA. There are terrific sales on the M1 and M2 MBA. If you shop around, you can get a new M2 MBA for $899 and M1 for $750. In addition, the bulk and weight of the iPad plus MK is close to the same as an MBA.

At this time, you might not have a lot of need for productivity apps, but over the next 4 or 5 years you might find yourself doing a significant amount of writing or spreadsheets. You will not regret buying a new MBA.

richmlow

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
I'm really unsure. Have had several macbooks and ipads over the years. Now I have sold all my devices and will buy a new one.
Should I go for the ipad or macbook again?
I am not a photo/video editor, nor do I do any coding and Apple pencil will not be used.
Need a small and light machine, for surfing the net, social media (scrolling through Instagram, TikTok etc), netflix, youtube, e-mail and being able to do simpler jobs in numbers.
I can't afford both, so I have to choose.
I have initially considered the Ipad mini 6, Ipad pro 11 or Macbook M1 (due to price) or M2.

Any good advice?
Hello Pepsi123,

I would recommend a Macbook M2.

Good luck on your decision.

richmlow

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Ok, so I have changed my mind :rolleyes:
I'm sending back til Ipad Pro M2. To be honest it's way to overkill for my use. I can't defend spending so much money on a tablet just for scrolling social media.

I will get the M1 MBA (M2 is way to expensive in Norway at this point) and an Ipad Mini 6 in stead. A bit skeptical about buying the M1 considering future updates on Mac OS, but it's a chance I'll take.
I don't think the Mini 7 will be that revolutionary compared to the Mini 6, so that should be fine.
That's my setup — and M1 MBA and an iPad Mini 6 — and it has worked out wonderfully. Both devices are a pleasure to use.

h.gilbert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2022
Bordeaux
Emails and numbers - if you don't have the magic keyboard you'll soon get tired of typing on the iPad. Even with the keyboard the iPad feels clumsier and less stable if you want to work on anything other than a table. The laptop form factor is so popular for a reason. I'd only consider an iPad if I wanted to start digital art.

XboxEvolved

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2004
I would wait until March or whenever it is to get the iPad Air with the M2 if I were you. Screw the Magic Keyboard get like a $20 keyboard and you'll be fine. Anyone paying for the Magic Keyboard is a sucker.

Reactions: Pepsi123
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.