Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will iOS 13 make or break your next iPhone decision?

• Yes

Votes: 32 25.6%
  • No

Votes: 83 66.4%
  • Other - Why?

Votes: 10 8.0%

• Total voters

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
It‘s more about hardware features than software. 5G is a big reason I‘m potentially holding off this year (waiting for next years iPhones).
iOS itself is the cherry on top.

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
I'm still on an iPhone X, as I skipped last year's models, so I'll be upgrading to the new iPhone this year regardless of what iOS 13 features.

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
It‘s more about hardware features than software. 5G is a big reason I‘m potentially holding off this year (waiting for next years iPhones).
iOS itself is the cherry on top.

I really don’t think we know what we are doing.

We are nowhere near solid LTE-A coverage, and we are still arguing what 5G looks like.

5G-E? What?

I will probably wait for 2020, but it has more to do with modems and less to do with 5G.

Unless somebody discovers magically a huge source of funding for more hundreds of thousands of microcells than I care to think about, some magic and providential bringing to heel of Hwawei, the successful merger of Sprint and T-Mobile, and god only knows what else....

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
I really don’t think we know what we are doing.

We are nowhere near solid LTE-A coverage, and we are still arguing what 5G looks like.

5G-E? What?

I will probably wait for 2020, but it has more to do with modems and less to do with 5G.

Unless somebody discovers magically a huge source of funding for more hundreds of thousands of microcells than I care to think about, some magic and providential bringing to heel of Hwawei, the successful merger of Sprint and T-Mobile, and god only knows what else....
It's more about having a phone that (eventually) supports 5G than buying a 1,3k+ phone that will be obsolete the second proper 5G hits (whenever that is). With phones lasting longer and longer nowadays (people holding onto them for 4-5 years at a time), it's an incredibly bad investment imho.

They have to knock it out of the park with a 4S style grand showing to convince me to buy a device day 1. Recent rumors pointing at stuff like 3d Touch removal (a feature that is essential to my every day phone usage) make it seem more and more likely that I'll skip and hold onto the Xs a little while longer.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
On the iPhone, no. On an iPad - that is a different story as it seems much handicapped by iOS than an iPhone is. But I am much more of a power user on an iPad than on an iPhone.

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Now that i have an all touch Max display. I am good. I think i am done upgrading every year. The os and phones don’t change enough for me to justify a yearly upgrade any longer.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
iOS 13 is geared for iPad.

Yeah, and with good reason. As a phone OS, iOS 12 is quite fine. Sure, new things and improvements are always welcome, but it’s very good even now.

On the iPad - well, we all expect something to allow iPads to grow into a modern computing platform they are meant to be.

Atocha

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2019
Yes.

If the upgrade does not allow me to turn off the 2 factor authentication and go back to security question control authentication when I'm out of the country them I am done.

I'll use Google products on the iPhone.

And no the icloud is not free. I have purchased extra storage. Give me the choice back or get dropped like a hot potato.

Elijen

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2012
Not iOS 13 alone, but the whole WWDC outcome. Might switch to Android/Windows if they don't catch up with the competition. Apple is behind in both software and hardware.

Reactions: HKG3

fastbagger

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2015
My Xs Max (2nd one) has connectivity issues. If iOS 13 is a dud like the Xs Max I think I am done with Apple.

chrismichael83

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2016
My Xs Max (2nd one) has connectivity issues. If iOS 13 is a dud like the Xs Max I think I am done with Apple.

Wow iOS13. You have yet to bring anything new and fresh to the iPhone. 13 years of grid icons, 13 years of no customization, still cant split screen/multitask on the larger iphones.

Reactions: Breezygirl

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
Wow iOS13. You have yet to bring anything new and fresh to the iPhone. 13 years of grid icons, 13 years of no customization, still cant split screen/multitask on the larger iphones.

Yeah, I’m wanting to get it on my device and play around with it. I want to see the Volume HUD, whether the phone will take the entire screen. Looks like we can override large app downloads over cellular. But yeah, sadly this seems to be a smaller update than expected. Dark mode and swiping keyboard. Let’s hope they just didn’t talk about some stuff.

chrismichael83

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2016
I mean nothing got redesigned, same home screen, seriously like where the hell is Jony Ive and what is he doing with the creative side of it. They need to hire these youtube creators who make samples of what they think ios13 should be.

bluewomble88

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2009

Couldn't agree more.

iOS is so utterly stale, boring, and 10 years out of date. It's 2019 and Apple are still pushing grids of squircle icons that look the same now as when Labour were in power! Dark mode? The only big difference to iOS this year is dark mode; something Android has had since forever!?

I had iPhones religiously between 2009 and 2016. By then I couldn't take the ring-fenced lack of customisation and ongoing UI issues (volume changes covering the whole screen, phone calls taking the whole screen, notifications being totally non-interactive when the phone was locked etc.) I switched to a Samsung S7 and I'm now using a Huawei P20 Pro. Better software, better camera, better battery, and it just works.

I really don't know how Apple continues to deceive so many people.

Reactions: HKG3 and Breezygirl

chrismichael83

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2016
Couldn't agree more.

iOS is so utterly stale, boring, and 10 years out of date. It's 2019 and Apple are still pushing grids of squircle icons that look the same now as when Labour were in power! Dark mode? The only big difference to iOS this year is dark mode; something Android has had since forever!?

I had iPhones religiously between 2009 and 2016. By then I couldn't take the ring-fenced lack of customisation and ongoing UI issues (volume changes covering the whole screen, phone calls taking the whole screen, notifications being totally non-interactive when the phone was locked etc.) I switched to a Samsung S7 and I'm now using a Huawei P20 Pro. Better software, better camera, better battery, and it just works.

Yep I was just watching a apple fanboy on YouTube streaming live about the event and he was like it very impressed with ios13 many new features. I’m like what freaking dark mode.

Reactions: HKG3

My Name is URL

Suspended
Nov 18, 2013
UK
Couldn't agree more.

I don’t know about iOS being stale and boring but you certainly are. God you must be a hoot at parties.

chrismichael83

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2016
I don’t know about iOS being stale and boring but you certainly are. God you must be a hoot at parties.

Oh a true believer that apple is not stale. Not sure how old you are but you do realize that not one major thing visually has changed since iOS 7. What’s the use of having so much power if we can’t use it. I mean still wasted space on the keyboard. No split screen, why does the call screen need to take over what we are doing? iOS 12 was suppose to be a refresh but got pushed to iOS 13 to do speed improvements. Now iOS 13 is among us and all we get is stupid dark mode and a few little tweaks and more meamoji crap

My Name is URL

Suspended
Nov 18, 2013
UK
Oh a true believer that apple is not stale. Not sure how old you are but you do realize that not one major thing visually has changed since iOS 7. What’s the use of having so much power if we can’t use it. I mean still wasted space on the keyboard. No split screen, why does the call screen need to take over what we are doing? iOS 12 was suppose to be a refresh but got pushed to iOS 13 to do speed improvements. Now iOS 13 is among us and all we get is stupid dark mode and a few little tweaks and more meamoji crap

Hmm, where in that quote did I say Apple isn’t stale?

Some reading comprehension needed on your end.

thei3ug

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2018
I had a checklist of feature changes I was looking for. what was promised:
1) maps collaboration
2) maps data that is accurate
3) Safari privacy updates
4) Updated location tracking app
5) Updated CarPlay
6) Updated Reminders
7) Folder sharing in Notes
8) Folder sharing in iCloud Drive
9) WiFi updates - though not in the direction I hoped
10) Changes in how settings can be changed in the drop down.

It's more than I expected. What was Missing: Change in the charging port, smart album sharing for photos through iCloud, and a headphone jack, of course. :)

My concern: Similar assurances were made in the past for maps. The web portal is still less functional that I prefer.

I have about 50 phones in the field. I have another 7-10 in for repair at any given time. I've probably bought over 300 iPhones and iPads over time. It's tough to justify the difference in price, and the proprietary cable (which people break with regularity, slowing down work). One department switched to android already due to a specific app that was required. I'm on the fence with the rest. I'm the only person who uses a mac, so integration only affects my personal taste. Already dropped iPads for surface devices because of basic things like an accessible file system. Too late on that front. But for the majority of my work on phones, productivity and industry specific apps are virtually indistinguishable Android/iPhone.

The stock apps, if they can't be changed, need to be the equivalent of the competition that charges less. Not near-equivalent. Functionally indistinguishable. For instance: I need the default maps app to be accurate and reliable. It's certainly easier to use, but it doesn't matter if it sends a 5 person work crew halfway across town at $80/hr because the street was mislabeled in the system. And yes, convincing people not to blindly trust technology is tough as well.

Will this be done? Once again, they've promised at least twice to do so already with maps alone. I've been a proponent of apple since the 80's. Adjusted for inflation, I'm not as concerned as some about price. But the difference in performance, and improvement in performance has been noticeable. Am I supposed to keep buying apple for my business on the hope they deliver?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Couldn't agree more.

Yeah, what is utterly amazing is Apple is deceiving so many people to the tune of $60B in a quarter. Thats an utterly amazing number for a deception.

Or maybe you are not in the target demographic for Apple in 2019. Enjoy your p20. Different strokes for different folks.

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
iOS 13 is geared for iPad. It’s been know for a while now. iPhone users who are expecting major improvements besides dark mode and tweaks to iMessage, Health, and Screen Time are going to be sorely disappointed.

What specific tweaks are iPads getting that iPhones aren't? I haven't found them yet.

HKG3

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2019
I mean nothing got redesigned, same home screen, seriously like where the hell is Jony Ive and what is he doing with the creative side of it. They need to hire these youtube creators who make samples of what they think ios13 should be.

Dude. Stop it.
There are bunch of kids here are happy with this same pathetic old design.

Just dont. god. 13 years.

I watched whole show just in case they might be joking about same home screen.

we've been waiting home screen-dashboard-lockscreen change on ios 12

they did not. then said we've been doing performance stuff, we said ... ok.... then....

guess what, they did not changed it on ios 13 either.

I still cant believe what apple has become, unbelieveable. un****ingbelieveable.
unacceptable on 2019.

Scott Forstall probably laughing now seeing what ios has become. same icons. god.
IOScomparison2.jpg

I swear to god, give us old skeumorph design, we will be happier, it was more benched, worked ui.
Lol.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.