Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple-Fanboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
I got a iPad 3 White WiFi with 64GB of internal storage for just $499 new (there was a special deal going on in retail stores only), and I was wondering if I will be able to get iOS 7 or 7.1 on it when it comes out. Most people have said that they would be very surprised if it didn't, but I'm just wondering.

However, I have a feeling it won't be compatible with iOS 8 and up which is not bad; I mean iOS 6.0.1 is already great, and iOS 7 is probably going to be awesome, so there's no reason I should be upset actually if either of those don't come out, but it's just out of curiosity.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Yes, it will. Apple doesn't cut out devices that are only a few months old from the next iOS iteration.

iOS 8 will too I'm sure.

quietstormSD

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
Yeah, they are still selling iPad 2's and we are at iOS 6 at the moment. So iPad 2's should still see iOS 7, so I think it's save that the 3rd generation iPad will see iOS 7, and most features in iOS 8 if not all.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Yes, it will see it.

Ironically, a lot of people here said the reason for the 1st iPad didn't get iOS 6 was because Apple wasn't selling it anymore; the same stupid argument can be made to the iPad 3 (Apple isn't selling it, so it isn't supporting it).

Aside with playing Devil's Adocate, iPad 3 will get iOS 7.

clauzzz203

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2012
Tim Cook's profit margin approach will make iOS 7 the last it will ever get. Or possibly 6.x.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Should it? Yes. Will it? Who knows.

I think the only real iOS devices to get screwed with iOS updates are the first or second of each generation. Seeing as they're still selling the iPad 2, I would fully expect that to get updates until iOS 7 and likely iOS 8.

Jakimo

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2008
Colorado Springs
Apple decisions to support products aren't tech based, but time based

I've been with them since before the Mac existed, it's always been the case

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Apple decisions to support products aren't tech based, but time based

I've been with them since before the Mac existed, it's always been the case
For the most part, with iOS at least, it's mostly been based on what is still officially being sold by Apple at the time of announcement/release of a particular update. That said, a lot of times there are also additional explanations for something not being supported due to technical reasons--something not being there in iPhone 4 hardware to support Siri, not enough hardware power for the original iPad to support iOS 6 (and beyond), etc.

Jakimo

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2008
Colorado Springs
(Not exclusively time based, but many times products have not been supported not because of tech reasons - but end of support life as defined by Apple.)

For instance my Mac Pro from 2006 is not supported by Apple to run Mountan Lion. Yet I run it with zero probs (had to hack a tiny bit) and others already have Mavericks working fine on it! :)

chekz0414

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
FL
I think iOS 8 will support everything but the iPad 2 and iPhone 4. Everything else but with a bit of limited support, and everything

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Regardless of thread age. There really isn't a good reason it won't get iOS 7, I doubt Apple will burn iPad 3 owners that bad. The only hold up with the 3 isn't its inability to play games with full effects like the iPad 2 and 4 can.

The OS itself doesn't need that sort of processing power. Game devs will just continue to cripple games per device.

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Regardless of thread age. There really isn't a good reason it won't get iOS 7, I doubt Apple will burn iPad 3 owners that bad. The only hold up with the 3 isn't its inability to play games with full effects like the iPad 2 and 4 can.

The OS itself doesn't need that sort of processing power. Game devs will just continue to cripple games per device.

Wait, what? What is this game with full effects that the 2 and 4 can that the 3 can't you speak of?
First I am hearing.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
The iPad 3 won't get iOS 8 because upon its release it was under powered--that's why the iPad 4 came out so soon after. The decision to upgrade a device is based upon whether the hardware can provide a good experience and I'm afraid the iPad 3 stutters even on iOS 6. I'm an iPad 3 owner btw.

It will definitely get iOS 7 though so its good for another year.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The iPad 3 won't get iOS 8 because upon its release it was under powered--that's why the iPad 4 came out so soon after. The decision to upgrade a device is based upon whether the hardware can provide a good experience and I'm afraid the iPad 3 stutters even on iOS 6. I'm an iPad 3 owner btw.

It will definitely get iOS 7 though so its good for another year.
It's somewhat hard to say if that will be the case or not. Given that iPad 3 is still a fairly recently released iPad, you never know. I guess we'll see when iOS 8 is announced/released.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.