Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
The iPad 3 won't get iOS 8 because upon its release it was under powered--that's why the iPad 4 came out so soon after. The decision to upgrade a device is based upon whether the hardware can provide a good experience and I'm afraid the iPad 3 stutters even on iOS 6. I'm an iPad 3 owner btw.

It will definitely get iOS 7 though so its good for another year.

Underpowered? It is much more powerful then the mini and you think they won't put ios8 on that?

When the iPad 4 came out every review said it was faster in tests but real world applications, the speed difference was barely noticed.

One of the reasons I skipped the latest iPad.

I will probably upgrade to the next one but saying the 3 is so much weaker then the 4 is silly.

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
but saying the 3 is so much weaker then the 4 is silly.

It's less powerful. In tests, yes it's 2x less powerful than the 4. Once the iPad 3 comes to his end (iOS 8) you'll see how 4 is more powerful than the 3. It's like: Try see the difference between an G3 and a G5 both running Mac OS 8.:confused:

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
It's less powerful. In tests, yes it's 2x less powerful than the 4. Once the iPad 3 comes to his end (iOS 8) you'll see how 4 is more powerful than the 3. It's like: Try see the difference between an G3 and a G5 both running Mac OS 8.:confused:

No argument from me but now, the difference isn't that much.
My point if they make the next os so much slower on the 3, how is it going to work on the weaker mini?

And I'm still waiting to hear from cynic about his claim...

ipad 3's inability to play games with full effects like the iPad 2 and 4 can.

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
My point if they make the next os so much slower on the 3, how is it going to work on the weaker mini?

iPad Mini won't stay long because it has the same processor as the iPad 2. iPad 2 won't support iOS 8, but iPad Mini yes. My opinion is that they will upgrade late this year the Mini with an A6 or A6X and the new one will be more compatible. I hope the Mini will support iOS 8, but come on, the iPod Touch 5G probably will and same for the iPhone 4S. They all run A5.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
iPad Mini won't stay long because it has the same processor as the iPad 2. iPad 2 won't support iOS 8, but iPad Mini yes. My opinion is that they will upgrade late this year the Mini with an A6 or A6X and the new one will be more compatible. I hope the Mini will support iOS 8, but come on, the iPod Touch 5G probably will and same for the iPhone 4S. They all run A5.
If they are essentially pretty much the same (size and perhaps cameras aside) then it sounds like both could support iOS 8 (of course Apple might cut one out just because).

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
I was gonna say "what's the point of this question if theres a beta for the iPad 3?" Then I saw the upload date and wondered why the hell someone bumped this thread.

SakuraSuki

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2013

The A5+ basically uses same processor as A5, it just have better graphic card. The processor raw power is nearly identical. iOS 7 runs perfectly fine on iPhone 4S. I definitely think iPad 2 will get iOS 8. iPad Mini will also get iOS 8. By the time of iOS 8, iPad Mini just around 2 years. I don't think Apple will drop iPad Mini.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The A5+ basically uses same processor as A5, it just have better graphic card. The processor raw power is nearly identical. iOS 7 runs perfectly fine on iPhone 4S. I definitely think iPad 2 will get iOS 8. iPad Mini will also get iOS 8. By the time of iOS 8, iPad Mini just around 2 years. I don't think Apple will drop iPad Mini.
They dropped the first iPad pretty quickly.

SakuraSuki

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2013
They dropped the first iPad pretty quickly.

iPad 1 is exception... It has 256MB of memoery.... Currently only iPad 3 and iPad 4, iPhone 5 have 1GB of RAM... Devices at come out this year not likely get memory bump... Probably Apple will have memoery bump next year. But anyway, if Apple to drop iPad Mini, it means iPhone 4S, iPod Touch 5G will not be included in support list. Given iPhone 4S and iPod Touch will countine to in market, i think iOS 8 would have support for iPhone 4S, iPod Touch 5G and also iPad Mini. Also there is no reason for iPad 3 left out.

iOS 9 however, things will be very different. iPad Mini, iPod Touch 5G, iPhone 4S probably won't have support. iPad 3 will like iPad 2 now, with bunch of feature missing out

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here

The iPad mini is only weaker in GPU performance. The CPU is exactly the same. And for that matter, the GPU in the iPad mini and iPad 2 is more than capable of running at 1024x768. The A5X is less than adequate to drive the 2048x1536 retina display in the iPad 3. So in practice, the iPad mini and iPad 2 feel faster at some tasks than the iPad 3. It's not a deal breaker for me personally, but my iPad 3 stutters on occasions where my mini is butter smooth.

Logically, it follows that gaming performance would suffer as well. I don't know what the situation is like now, but at the launch of the iPad 3, developers had to make the decision between full resolution or full effects. Simply keeping the iPad 2 resolution wasn't going to fly, so some developers decided to run their games at about 1.6x the resolution of the iPad 2 so they could maintain the graphical effects that the iPad 2 could handle. Games that were lightweight could run at the full 2048x1536, of course.

So to overly simplify the discussion about gaming performance, we have an iPad 2 with great graphics, an iPad 4 with great graphics and retina resolution, and an iPad 3 with either great graphics or retina resolution, or some compromise of the two. The iPad 3 simply does not have the power to drive graphically intensive games at the full 2048x1536. This won't matter for most iPad 3 owners- yet. But as iOS itself becomes more resource intensive, it wouldn't surprise me to see the iPad 3 become unsupported quicker than either the iPad 2 or iPad mini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.