Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Why is it suggesting every message I wrote as a short cut? How many times will I possible send the same message again? Weird ...

And it does not seem to work for music short cuts like on Spotify? SHOCKER

First off, this is the 1st Beta release. To expect everything to be working is unrealistic
Secondly, the app has to SUPPORT Siri shortcuts. Spotify is not even updated yet to do this.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
This new feature sounds insanely powerful, or at least it has the potential to be. I hope my most-used apps enable support at launch. However our home security is ADT and they tend to be conservative with app updates, though recently they did a big one.

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
Why is it suggesting every message I wrote as a short cut? How many times will I possible send the same message again? Weird ...

And it does not seem to work for music short cuts like on Spotify? SHOCKER
And, in its current form, will never support Spotify or at least in a meaningful way. Shortcuts are inherently limited by being static queries only. You can't have "Play song XYZ on Spotify", you'd have to "hardcode" the songs name in a shortcut. So thousands of shortcuts for thousands of songs.

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
Once the app is released I’ll probably mess with them. How hard can they be to set? It’s virtually a macro.

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2014
Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
The only Siri shortcut I want to create and chances are it won’t work is for Siri to only play my downloaded music.

At the moment if you get into a Bluetooth enabled vehicle and the iPhone connects it defaults to playing my entire iCloud library of over 10K songs, rather than the 700 or so I have downloaded. Now the 700 downloaded songs are my most listened to at any given point in time and are on constant rotation through smart playlists etc.

However since the only way I can get cars to only play the downloaded stuff by default is to either disable iCloud library altogether or make a manual playlist with them all in, using Siri to accomplish this would make life a lot easier in the car. However if you ask her to play “downloaded music” she plays the download chart, if you ask for “offline music” she will play something completely random.

I mean it’s a simple bloody request that it can’t get right, so hopefully the Siri shortcuts will allow me to make this request manually.

Last edited:

theman510

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2009
New Jersey
And, in its current form, will never support Spotify or at least in a meaningful way. Shortcuts are inherently limited by being static queries only. You can't have "Play song XYZ on Spotify", you'd have to "hardcode" the songs name in a shortcut. So thousands of shortcuts for thousands of songs.

But seems like it could be useful for playing a particular playlist or radio station from Spotify. Which is something I'm thrilled about

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
So you'd rather do things manually rather than setup a macro/shortcut once? Whatever works for you I guess.

Actually yes lol that’s why I am still doing my forms in excel by scratch every morning too cuz I cannot be bothered to look up how to do it automatically. Stupid I know but HABITS

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012

sarc

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2016
I can't wait to use this. I have some Workflows set up but will be happy to replace them with Siri Shortcuts.
From my understanding, it's going to be somewhat like the workflows app. That was really easy to use.

Using this can save a lot of time. I really liked to demo that was shown. I would be using something similar when I get to try it out.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I rarely use Siri.

Siri may not be perfect but she has her uses:

• Hands free operation when driving.(Getting directions, texting, calling,etc).
  • Siri works great with Apple Music. You can say something like "Hey Siri, play some 80's" and it will load a 80's radio station or you can say "Hey Siri, play Eye of the tiger by Survivor".
  • When I get out of the shower in the morning I ask Siri the time, the weather and how long my commute to work is going to be without having to touch my phone as I'm drying up and getting dressed.

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
And so they do something to make it more useful and get kicked in the face for it. Ok.

We all know Siri is lagging behind the competition in a big way. They have to do something and they have. Time will tell if its effective or not.

Someone said „so you want Siri to be improved? Fine ... then do it yourself!“

made me laugh

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Every day when I leave work I text my wife “heading home babe” set GPS to home and play a podcast. Gonna set up “heading home” shortcut.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
I was listening to a podcast about the WWDC keynote and and when they got to Siri shortcuts they joked it was Apple saying “OK you’ve complained about how dumb Siri is. Well fine then, make it smart yourself!” That you can now get Siri to do the things you want...you just have to set it up first.

They were mostly joking but it got me wondering will many people use the Shortcuts app? Will it be simple enough that people who have never used Workflow will get it? Will people blow it off thinking too much work involved? Will Apple do a good enough job explaining how the app works and how it can be useful? Perhaps Apple will have video tutorials inside the app explaining how it works?

It depends.

From an automation standpoint, I would love something that can get everything ready for bedtime. Right now I have to put the phone on do not disturb mode, select an alarm time, decrease the backlight, decrease the volume, and turn on wi-fi.

Will Shortcuts allow me access to these native functions?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
It depends.

From an automation standpoint, I would love something that can get everything ready for bedtime. Right now I have to put the phone on do not disturb mode, select an alarm time, decrease the backlight, decrease the volume, and turn on wi-fi.

Will Shortcuts allow me access to these native functions?

When I go to settings—Siri—shortcuts—it shows: messages, safari, weather, phone, settings, clock, Amazon, Mail, FaceTime, photos, calendar

I can’t see all of the settings becuase its not actually live, but I think what you want would be doable

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
When I go to settings—Siri—shortcuts—it shows: messages, safari, weather, phone, settings, clock, Amazon, Mail, FaceTime, photos, calendar

I can’t see all of the settings becuase its not actually live, but I think what you want would be doable

That would be great.

My only pet peeve with iOS is that at night I have to swipe and click too many things to get the phone into a mode that a) will let me sleep without being disturbed and b) will let me browse my phone in bed to help me get to sleep without waking up my wife. It's why DND isn't enough on its own. I need to swipe down on the brightness and volume and turn on the wi-fi.

If you wouldn't mind updating these elements as shortcut-able as the beta releases occur that would be great.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
That would be great.

My only pet peeve with iOS is that at night I have to swipe and click too many things to get the phone into a mode that a) will let me sleep without being disturbed and b) will let me browse my phone in bed to help me get to sleep without waking up my wife. It's why DND isn't enough on its own. I need to swipe down on the brightness and volume and turn on the wi-fi.

If you wouldn't mind updating these elements as shortcut-able as the beta releases occur that would be great.

Have you tired using night shift? It makes the screen more yellow which naturally makes it less bright and is better on the eyes.

Reactions: boltjames

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
I've programmed my Harmony remote to perform multiple commands with one button. It was a pain to set up, but was worth it.

I imagine Siri Shortcuts to be similar, & since it won't be too foreign to me, I'm eager to set it up myself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.