Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
This new feature sounds insanely powerful, or at least it has the potential to be. I hope my most-used apps enable support at launch. However our home security is ADT and they tend to be conservative with app updates, though recently they did a big one.
If an app supports handoff it pretty much gets Siri shortcuts for free, so there will be a lot of support out of the gate.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I’m going to disagree with you. I think Apple's betting the corn field (but not the whole farm) on this. Expect the suggestion version of this to be very in your face. I think Apple will lean heavily on major consumer service companies to use it in their apps.

Seriously? Do people really create workflows for driving home from work (call my roommate, lower the thermostat, turn on the fan, map my trip home)? Doubtful. It looks to me like a solution in search of a problem.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Seriously? Do people really create workflows for driving home from work (call my roommate, lower the thermostat, turn on the fan, map my trip home)? Doubtful. It looks to me like a solution in search of a problem.

No, I’m not talking about the macro-like actions, as you describe. I’m talking about the suggested actions that will be like current Siri Suggestions, but open to all apps, and not just payments, ridesharing, etc... These have the potential to turn Siri into almost a wrapper for much of the iPhone experience. Instead of 5 or so steps to order my Starbucks' coffee, as now, I will only need to say “order my coffee” and I’m done. This obviously works best with routine, frequently repeated actions, which is why, I think, they are giving it the possibility of Workflow-style multistep workflows. But, from watching the WWDC presentations on this, the emphasis is much more on opening Siri up to the greater app-verse than it is on the multi step actions.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
No, I’m not talking about the macro-like actions, as you describe. I’m talking about the suggested actions that will be like current Siri Suggestions, but open to all apps, and not just payments, ridesharing, etc... These have the potential to turn Siri into almost a wrapper for much of the iPhone experience. Instead of 5 or so steps to order my Starbucks' coffee, as now, I will only need to say “order my coffee” and I’m done. This obviously works best with routine, frequently repeated actions, which is why, I think, they are giving it the possibility of Workflow-style multistep workflows. But, from watching the WWDC presentations on this, the emphasis is much more on opening Siri up to the greater app-verse than it is on the multi step actions.

Perhaps in that context... time will tell.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Perhaps in that context... time will tell.

Yes.

My personal feeling is both major OS'es (and Amazon) are aiming towards a future where they are the front end for much, if not all, of the user experience. Apps will become more like Alexa skills, generating or fetching the content, but Siri/Alexa/Google Assistant will be the ones requesting it and then delivering it to your digital doorstep.

There will be much resistance to this from app developers, who run the risk of being marginalized in the process. But the upside, eventually, may be not needing an app on your phone for every food chain, pharmacy, hotel chain, retailer you patronize in order to do the things people do routinely on their mobile devices.

The downside, of course, is the risk of Apple/Google/Amazon moderating your experience, which could lead to a distinct lack of innovation and, at worst, lock-ins with particular vendors who have struck deals with these companies to be preferred or exclusive suppliers to their users.

Reactions: T'hain Esh Kelch

GeekishlyGreek

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2015
Greece
I’ve just finished watching the WWDC presentation on Siri shortcuts. The best way to describe this is really as 2 distinct things: first, the simplified Workflow idea , which allows you to concatenate various commands into a macro (e.g., the sequence of things you want your phone to do when you tell it you’re heading home from work [text spouse, map route, start playlist, etc...]).
Thanks for all the great info!

This part is definitely the feature that would appeal to me the most! (Love the idea of concatenating commands into a macro! Have been wanting to do that for so dang long!) If this is finally going to be a reality, I'm so freaking there! Did they say whether this will be just for iPhone X users, or will this one be available to absolutely any device on iOS?

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Thanks for all the great info!

This part is definitely the feature that would appeal to me the most! (Love the idea of concatenating commands into a macro! Have been wanting to do that for so dang long!) If this is finally going to be a reality, I'm so freaking there! Did they say whether this will be just for iPhone X users, or will this one be available to absolutely any device on iOS?

All devices that support iOS 12, I believe.

theman510

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2009
New Jersey

I absolutely will. Get in the car, activate Siri through CarPlay and say "I'm going home" then it texts my wife I'm leaving, opens up Waze on CarPlay (can't wait for this) and starts the nav, and starts my Spotify playlist.

I will literally use this every day and can't wait

Reactions: gwhizkids

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
It will be amazing and people will start using it, once app developers complement their apps with pre built shortcuts that you can takes and assign your own voice command to!

Reactions: gwhizkids

GeekishlyGreek

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2015
Greece
All devices that support iOS 12, I believe.
I'm so glad you said that! (while I can't see any technological reason why it wouldn't have been on all devices that share the same iOS version, I know what Apple' can be like sometimes!) They have been known in the past to lock certain features down to only people with newer models, to make you buy the phone. (Even daft little tings like the shortcuts for emoji keyboards don't work on older ones, but do on iPhones past a certain date) There have been a bunch more stuff like that, which only iPhone X got that 6's and 7's didn't etc (So I wouldn't have put it past them) :D

But I'm so glad that this one's coming to all of them for this one! Pretty sure all of mine will support iOS 12

What do you think about all the new VR emoji things they're bringing out?

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
Apple acquired the Workflow app last year I think (it's Free now). It appears they may be using the tech in that app for the new Siri Shortcuts feature. I for one am ready to use it. Here are 2 use cases for me (if it's possible).

"Hey Siri, I'm going to work"

- Disable WiFi
- Open Maps, get directions to work
- Launch Podcasts

"Hey Siri, I'm leaving work"

- Turn on Wifi
- send a text to wife "I'm leaving the office"
- Open maps, get directions home
- load podcasts.

I use Stringify and IFTTT to do many of these things now. Even better than telling Siri that I’m leaving work, my flows and applets know I have left work. In my office suite, I have several lamps, a television, and one of those smell good warmers. When I leave the office those all turn off. I get a text message that gives me the shortest route for my commute. It texts my daughter with an expected time that I will pick her up. It sets my home thermostat to start cooling.

What I’d like Apple shortcuts to do is allow me to integrate these things but instead of a text message, open maps with the route, and start a podcast. I use Carplay so this would be excellent integration.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I’ve been playing around with shortcuts extenively with my own apps. Pretty nice. Two points:

1) the beta is very buggy re: shortcut features. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t work for days at a time.
2) an app can’t receive parameters into its siri shortcuts. In other words, say you have an app that can display chapters from a book. You can’t create a short cut like “show me chapter ___.” Siri won’t pass the chapter number to the app. Instead you must create shortcuts like “show me chapter one” and “show me chapter two.” And for each one, the user has to record the voice trigger separately.

Maybe that’ll be resolved in iOS13.

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
I’ve been playing around with shortcuts extenively with my own apps. Pretty nice. Two points:

1) the beta is very buggy re: shortcut features. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t work for days at a time.
2) an app can’t receive parameters into its siri shortcuts. In other words, say you have an app that can display chapters from a book. You can’t create a short cut like “show me chapter ___.” Siri won’t pass the chapter number to the app. Instead you must create shortcuts like “show me chapter one” and “show me chapter two.” And for each one, the user has to record the voice trigger separately.

Maybe that’ll be resolved in iOS13.

This is true. Using Siri you can’t input data into the shortcut. You can however do this in the shortcuts app (same as workflow today).

Toonartist

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2017
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Looking forward to this. Already use Siri to control lighting, Central Heating, Individual thermostats, Air Quality /temperature sensors, Harmony remote and switching on appliances.

I can ask what the what the temperature is in each of the rooms or outside, turn up the temperature of the nest, ask for movie lighting, switch on Apple TV via harmony, turn on Christmas lights or air conditioning etc via a smart socket.

Alexa may be able to do a lot more than Siri (I also have Alexa, but don't use it now) but what it does do it does it well. You just need to invest a little time to get it set up the way you want it. So, I'm really looking forward to the new Shortcuts app. Alexa had a habit of just starting up on it's own, not understanding what was being said etc. Never had those problems with Siri.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Thought starter: will Siri Shortcuts obviate the need for the Home app?

Personally, I don't think so. For one, Home app does more than toggle/change device state. You add devices there, configure them, configure notifications etc. Second, sometimes I just don't want to talk to my device, I'd rather use a UI regardless of task. Generally, this is situational. Lastly, more generally, doesn't Siri shortcut need somewhere in an app to actually create shortcuts to?

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Personally, I don't think so. For one, Home app does more than toggle/change device state. You add devices there, configure them, configure notifications etc. Second, sometimes I just don't want to talk to my device, I'd rather use a UI regardless of task. Generally, this is situational. Lastly, more generally, doesn't Siri shortcut need somewhere in an app to actually create shortcuts to?

Agree with your points. Regarding your last sentence, my understanding is that is how Siri Shortcuts works: an app "donates" an intent (an action) to Shortcuts. So basically, you get exposure to the actions an app can take, such as "Turn off the entertainment center" or "open the garage door". Right now, I have a Chamberlain garage door MyQ, which lets me turn my dumb garage doors (really, really dumb...) into connected devices and open and close them using the MyQ app. To get HomeKit functionality I need to get a MyQ bridge. I don't really want to buy a bridge for every strain of home automation I buy, so I'd rather just use the Shortcut app to let me use Siri to open and close the doors without HomeKit.

Reactions: Feenician

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Agree with your points. Regarding your last sentence, my understanding is that is how Siri Shortcuts works: an app "donates" an intent (an action) to Shortcuts. So basically, you get exposure to the actions an app can take, such as "Turn off the entertainment center" or "open the garage door". Right now, I have a Chamberlain garage door MyQ, which lets me turn my dumb garage doors (really, really dumb...) into connected devices and open and close them using the MyQ app. To get HomeKit functionality I need to get a MyQ bridge. I don't really want to buy a bridge for every strain of home automation I buy, so I'd rather just use the Shortcut app to let me use Siri to open and close the doors without HomeKit.

Now I get you and that's a really interesting use case that hadn't occurred to me. When you put it that way it's almost less about, "do we need the Home app?" and more "do we need Homekit at all?" or at the very least, "do I need to be as concerned integrating non-Homekit devices" in this particular case if I understand you correctly?

I suppose the answer to both questions really boil down to how much inter-app orchestration and, most importantly, how much active feedback you can get from these heterogenous apps. In the case where you just want to actively trigger something, you're 100% correct; if you can "slice into" the app for that device Home and Homekit almost don't matter. Where I see the value in Home (and Homekit) is in orchestration. Using Siri shortcuts can we find out when someone else opens our Garage door and act on it?

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Now I get you and that's a really interesting use case that hadn't occurred to me. When you put it that way it's almost less about, "do we need the Home app?" and more "do we need Homekit at all?" or at the very least, "do I need to be as concerned integrating non-Homekit devices" in this particular case if I understand you correctly?

I suppose the answer to both questions really boil down to how much inter-app orchestration and, most importantly, how much active feedback you can get from these heterogenous apps. In the case where you just want to actively trigger something, you're 100% correct; if you can "slice into" the app for that device Home and Homekit almost don't matter. Where I see the value in Home (and Homekit) is in orchestration. Using Siri shortcuts can we find out when someone else opens our Garage door and act on it?
Exactly! I'm sure Apple has given (a lot of) thought to whether ShortCuts would replace / supplement HomeKit. You're right about orchestration, especially things tied to moving events, like sunrise and sunset. But I could see a "bed time" shortcut: turn off the lights + shut the garage door, etc...

Reactions: Feenician

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Exactly! I'm sure Apple has given (a lot of) thought to whether ShortCuts would replace / supplement HomeKit. You're right about orchestration, especially things tied to moving events, like sunrise and sunset. But I could see a "bed time" shortcut: turn off the lights + shut the garage door, etc...

It's a really interesting question you raise. Like I said, I hadn't even thought about that use case at all and I'm just starting to process it and think about the possibilities. Even if it doesn't replace Homekit/Home I'm now quite excited by the possibilities it presents for integrating other home automation frameworks. I can certainly imagine how shortcuts could tie together actions for Homekit and Alexa compatible devices seamlessly for example simply by having an Alexa app that exposes its own possibilities as intents.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
It's a really interesting question you raise. Like I said, I hadn't even thought about that use case at all and I'm just starting to process it and think about the possibilities. Even if it doesn't replace Homekit/Home I'm now quite excited by the possibilities it presents for integrating other home automation frameworks. I can certainly imagine how shortcuts could tie together actions for Homekit and Alexa compatible devices seamlessly for example simply by having an Alexa app that exposes its own possibilities as intents.
yes, this is the stuff that really excites me about the app. It may not be an overstatement to say that this may potentially be the most important development since the app store was created. Or, without support from developers, it could be a bust....

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
I think it’s more a gimmick than an actual useful feature. A Siri shortcut for a web page? Just add the page to your favorites or add it on the home screen.

For apps, for what I tried I didn’t save time that much either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.