Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

When do you expect an iMac redesign?

• 4rd quarter 2019

Votes: 34 4.1%
  • 1st quarter 2020

Votes: 23 2.8%
  • 2nd quarter 2020

Votes: 119 14.5%
  • 3rd quarter 2020

Votes: 131 15.9%
  • 4rd quarter 2020

Votes: 172 20.9%
  • 2021 or later

Votes: 343 41.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Shout out to OP for changing the title!

Well, the dust has finally settled. We can now finally look around and see the horizon in front of us....

First off, wow, no more 27" iMac ?. NONE of us expected that. Clearly Apple thinks consumers will be perfectly happy with the 24" iMac if they want an AIO. If you want power, get the Studio.

The Mac Studio looks awesome. Period.

I purchased a (nano) Studio Display. It won't arrive until late March/early April. I will also pick up a M1 Mini. Wish we got the M2 Mini today but I don't have time to wait for it any longer. Hope to sell my iMac locally.

Also picked up a black magic trackpad. My white one clashes with my black split keyboard.

The iMac Pro is still coming but it will be a very pricey machine is my guess. Dylandkt was wrong about the potential price and release date.

Reactions: sjjones

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
Yep so based on what Mark Gurman is saying this afternoon like others have said the future is clear...

1. The 27 inch regular iMac is dead and will not be replaced.
2. A high-end 27-30 inch iMac Pro is expected later this year but will very, very expensive with potentially a mini-LED screen and a M1 Pro or Max as the LOW end processor.

Based on this I just ordered the Apple Studio Display to pair with my existing M1 Macbook Air that I seldom use (as I prefer traveling with my iPad Pro and using my iMac at home) in a desktop setup that will replace my late 2015 27-inch iMac 4.0 i7. I actually kind of like the idea I can "upgrade" without replacing the screen moving forward either with better laptops or perhaps a Mac Mini or even a Mac Studio. I suppose Apple loves that I'm saying that since I often held on to iMacs longer than I wanted since the "display was still good."

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
At this point I think Apple should be clear and tell us if they still intend to release a new 27' iMac or they cut this product. This coming summer it will be 2 years since they introduced the first M1 Macs and since then they release all kinds of Macs except this specific model.

If they don't release a new one this summer, I'll seriously considering to come back to the PC world. I'm not interested of buying a Mac Studio or a MacBook.

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
Why do you need to know? This is clearly a better option long term so going PC is not going to do much.
What do you need that this is bad deal for you?

27" iMac might come later in form of PRO but it will be so expensive that most people won't bother.
Apple is clearly sending a message that this is the new 27" iMac and I think its the right approach. Less waste, more options in the future. Having separated screen from the computer is the best combo in most cases.

So what are you requiring that this doesn't satisfy?

At this point I think Apple should be clear and tell us if they still intend to release a new 27' iMac or they cut this product. This coming summer it will be 2 years since they introduced the first M1 Macs and since then they release all kinds of Macs except this specific model.

If they don't release a new one this summer, I'll seriously considering to come back to the PC world. I'm not interested of buying a Mac Studio or a MacBook.

Barnclos

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2015
After today’s announcement of the Studio and the disappearance of the 27” iMac, we still have rumours that a hi-spec large iMac may arrive late 2022 or maybe 2023. We also have a statement from Apple that the only Mac left to transition to ASi is the Mac Pro.
In this situation I just don’t think the hi-spec large iMac will ever happen. Sorry.
I think there’s still demand for M1 Pro/Max power at a desktop with a large screen, so two options:
- Apple promote combination of M1 Pro/Max MacBooks plus Studio Display, or
- Apple waits for the excitement (and sales) of Mac Studio to die down then adds M1 Pro/Max options to 24” iMac. The difference between a 4.5k and a 5k display isn’t huge.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
At this point I think Apple should be clear and tell us if they still intend to release a new 27' iMac or they cut this product.

If you take Johny Srouji's comments and the discontinuation of the Intel iMac 5K, you have your answer.

Me? I believe a "consumer/prosumer" 27" iMac is dead. I also believe a "true professional" 27" iMac Pro will come, but it's going to be priced above the Mac Studio + Studio Display combination (which now covers the "prosumer" 27" iMac market).

Andrea Filippini

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2020
Tuscany, Italy

I'm sincerely disappointed about the Apple Event.
I'm using Apple Machines since 2010 but this approach of everything soldered onboard, the necessity to pay Apple tax for upgrade anything combined with very ugly design (new iMac 24-inch is a colored knick-knack with horrible white bezels, new Mac Studio is basically a tower Mac Mini) it's not innovation. It's simply a decline.
Go on using Intel Macs.
Hope for better days.

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
Why do you need to know? This is clearly a better option long term so going PC is not going to do much.
What do you need that this is bad deal for you?

27" iMac might come later in form of PRO but it will be so expensive that most people won't bother.
Apple is clearly sending a message that this is the new 27" iMac and I think its the right approach. Less waste, more options in the future. Having separated screen from the computer is the best combo in most cases.

So what are you requiring that this doesn't satisfy?
I live in Canada, and the base studio model + the monitor is by far way more expensive than just buying a 27' iMac.
I regret I've not bought the 2020 iMac so bad now.

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
I live in Canada too and this is by far much better deal for the future than what you are suggesting.
Also, if you want 2020 you can now probably grab it refurbished and you'll save even more.

Not sure what your needs are but today's system will outlast the iMac easily. So the cost you might save now will not be worth it in a year or two.

I live in Canada, and the base studio model + the monitor is by far way more expensive than just buying a 27' iMac.

Reactions: Tumbleweed666

Juuro

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2006
Germany
That's because the base Mac Studio is a way more capable machine than the base 5K iMac ever was. If you would have bought an entry level 27" iMac just get an M1 Mac mini or wait for the M2 Mac mini if you can. If you need more power get the base Mac Studio. And get a Studio Display for both options. Both will be way more future proof than a 2020 iMac 5K.
If you still need that Intel iMac 5K from 2020 get a refurbished one directly from Apple: https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/refurbished/mac/27-inch-imac

Reactions: sjjones

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Apple explicitly said Mac Pro is the only Mac left to transition to Apple Silicon. Why do people still think there is another big iMac, Pro or otherwise, coming? That would mean Apple was either lying or, if one wants to count an AS iMac Pro as a technically discontinued/re-introduced product rather than a transition, purposely misleading. But why would they risk upsetting customers who end up buying another product because of that statement? (Edit- not to mention possibly lose that revenue to another brand.) What would the purpose of that be?

Last edited:

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Apple explicitly said Mac Pro is the only Mac left to transition to Apple Silicon. Why do people still think there is another big iMac, Pro or otherwise, coming?

It is not beyond the realm of possibility that Johny Srouji was referring to Mac families when he said the Mac Pro is the only one left. So that would not preclude an iMac Pro.

We also have the reports of a 27" 5K ProMotion MiniLED panel that did not go into the Apple Studio Display today, so it has to go somewhere and I find it very unlikely Apple is going to release an "Apple Studio Max" at WWDC with that panel. ;)

We also have multiple sources saying an iMac Pro is still in the works, just not until 2023 now.

But I admit that the Mac Studio with Studio Display may very well be the one and only replacement for the iMac 27".

Last edited:

treehuggerpro

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2021
If you take Johny Srouji's comments and the discontinuation of the Intel iMac 5K, you have your answer.

Me? I believe a "consumer/prosumer" 27" iMac is dead. I also believe a "true professional" 27" iMac Pro will come, but it's going to be priced above the Mac Studio + Studio Display combination (which now covers the "prosumer" 27" iMac market).

@subjonas is correct. The rumors surrounding the 27" iMac/ iMac Pro have been consistently off and confusing. I assume they were sourced from production related to new displays and built on assumptions the 27" iMac lines would continue. With the scalable capacity of the Mac Studio M1 Max -> M1 Ultra, Apple's approach makes sense. Pretty clear signalling today that the 27" iMacs are history. Two sizes of XDR displays, seems what's more likely to come with the A/S Mac Pro. I guess, never say never, but the Mac Studio lineup / future display combinations will be far more flexible in a way that makes the larger iMacs redundant.

Last edited:

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
It is not beyond the realm of possibility that Johny Srouji was referring to Mac families when he said the Mac Pro is the only one left. So that would not preclude an iMac Pro.

We also have the reports of a 27" 5K ProMotion MiniLED panel that did not go into the Apple Studio Display today, so it has to go somewhere and I find it very unlikely Apple is going to release an "Apple Studio Max" at WWDC with that panel. ;) We also have multiple sources saying an iMac Pro is still in the works, just not until 2023 now.

I mean there are still people who are convinced Apple is going to pull a "Mac mini Pro" out of their hats in the next few months with an M1 Pro and M1 Max even with the launch today of Mac Studio. :)
Mac Pro has always referred to one product and not a family of products that also includes the product with that actual name. That would be incredibly confusing and misleading for Apple to suddenly use it that way. And they would be aware of that. So again it comes down to, why would Apple benefit from being misleading here?

As far as the rumor mill, some are stronger rumors than others, but I don’t put any ahead of the horse’s mouth.

Sure, anything can happen in the future, and I hope it’s true for the people who want it, but I’m all about managing expectations to avoid unnecessary disappointment and possible bad purchase decisions.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Sure, anything can happen in the future, and I hope it’s true for the people who want it, but I’m all about managing expectations to avoid unnecessary disappointment and possible bad purchase decisions.

Fair enough.

Personally, a Mac Studio will work fine for me when it comes time to replace my 2020 iMac 5K.

Hopefully Apple will have a 27-32" MiniLED Retina display cheaper than the Pro Display XDR, but if they do not, then I'll buy a Pro Display XDR to go with it.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I still fully expect an iMac Pro. Gurman tweeted today that it is still coming. MCK tweeted this week that we will see it in 2023. And Ross Young, who to date has a 100% record with Apple leaks, has been reporting on this machine since last fall. My guess is that it will be announced at WWDC or in October with an early 2023 release. I should also be clear that I have no desire in said product at this point so my opinion is not inspired with hopes of purchase.

Homy

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
Apple made my choice easy. I had to buy a new Mac back in Oct because of graphics problems with my iMac 21.5" 2011 but didn't want to buy a M1 so I bought the base MBP 14" with LG 27UP850. I wanted to buy a desktop too but didn't know if I should buy a new iMac 27" with M1 Pro or a new Mini with M1 Pro. Now that I have a monitor and iMac 27" is dead I can get the base Mac Studio with M1 Max for the same price as my MBP and pay $900 less for the M1 Max 24c GPU. I think I wait though until the first price cuts appear in the stores. :)

Last year I took screen shots of all iMac 27" prices here in Sweden (tax included). An iMac 27" with 10-core i9, 32GB RAM, 512GB SSD, Radeon 5700 XT 16GB VRAM, 10Gb Ethernet and keyboard and mouse costed ca $4943 with current exchange rate $1=9.93 SEK.

The base Mac Studio with 10c CPU, 32GB unified RAM, 512GB SSD, 24cGPU 32GB VRAM and 10Gb Ethernet costs today $2567. I'm sure for $2376 you can find a good monitor, keyboard, mouse, webcam and speakers AND superior CPU/GPU performance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Freida

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
I still fully expect an iMac Pro. Gurman tweeted today that it is still coming. MCK tweeted this week that we will see it in 2023. And Ross Young, who to date has a 100% record with Apple leaks, has been reporting on this machine since last fall. My guess is that it will be announced at WWDC or in October with an early 2023 release. I should also be clear that I have no desire in said product at this point so my opinion is not inspired with hopes of purchase.
Apple loves to "play" with the mind of the consumer, so that they continue to purchase. I think that statement about "the only Mac Left to upgrade..." was strategic ,so all of the ones who are holding out for a 27" iMac will instead buy the Mac Studio. Plus...keep the public guessing what is to come.

Is there a difference between iMac and Mac in Apple's eyes? I believe so...so the statement about the only Mac left to upgrade is referring to the Pro. Mac mini was upgraded and now this...so as far as the "Mac" family is concerned, only Mac Pro is left. A statement like that also makes people buy and buy again when a 27" iMac comes.

Is there a iMac and/or iMac Pro coming? Only time will tell, but from a business sense..get people to buy and then buy again...release the iMac after they see sales for the Mac Studio go down and then get the frenzy going again...the name of the game is buy, buy BUY and Apple is a master at it..

side note: Seeing Mac Studio...Mac Pro is going to be a beast of a system (and costly as well).

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
The Intel imac is dead. An apple silicon imac pro will still coming.
But Apple needs to sell as many as these studio mac+display as they can until they release the bigger imac

Last edited:

ravinder08

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2010
he Intel imac is dead. An apple silicon imac pro will still coming.
But Apple needs to sell as many as these studio mac+display as they can until they release the bigger imac
I think it’s more reliable to have the computer in a separate box. I had so many issues with with 27” iMac with dust being sucked into the machine trying to cool the internal components. At least now the Display should have this issue and the external box has big fans to keep it as it’s not sealed inside a display.

Reactions: MayaUser

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
I think it’s more reliable to have the computer in a separate box. I had so many issues with with 27” iMac with dust being sucked into the machine trying to cool the internal components. At least now the Display should have this issue and the external box has big fans to keep it as it’s not sealed inside a display.
i know exactly what are you talking about
That was a design issue for decades...but now, the internal M1 imac design solve that issue with the components and airflow into the chin and not into the back of the display
If they can make that same design i dont mind a bigger imac with m1 pro/max
But this can happen to this new Studio display since it has 2 small fans behind the display that suck air to cool it..so we will shall see how this display will perform in this regard. I still think the best design is to have the fans into the chin, away from the display like the M1 imac

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
Its funny to read all those comments all of a sudden saying in an iMac thread that a separate machine + an overpriced monitor is a better deal. It seems many people just accept all the product Apple throw at them. If its better to have a separated machine + monitor, why the same people who complained about waiting for waiting a new 27' iMac and now suddenly happy with the Studio didn't bought a Mini + monitor already? The point of the iMac is to have an all in one device. It always worked well and it reach a good number of costumer needs.

The new monitor is essentially the screen of a 27" iMac and they sell it almost the price of a basic iMac but without the computer parts and the base studio Mac is overkill for most people while the Mac mini isn't good enough for some people as well.

I really think Apple drop the ball here. Happy for those that likes it, but the real reason Apple do this is to hope 27' iMac costumers will jump into this new proposition instead and spend way much money than they should if the 27' iMac was still there.

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
Its funny to read all those comments all of a sudden saying in an iMac thread that a separate machine + an overpriced monitor is a better deal. It seems many people just accept all the product Apple throw at them
an 27" imac with m1 max would be around the same price as the studio m1 max with this 27" studio display
Apple thought about it for sure

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.