Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

When do you expect an iMac redesign?

• 4rd quarter 2019

Votes: 34 4.1%
  • 1st quarter 2020

Votes: 23 2.8%
  • 2nd quarter 2020

Votes: 119 14.5%
  • 3rd quarter 2020

Votes: 131 15.9%
  • 4rd quarter 2020

Votes: 172 20.9%
  • 2021 or later

Votes: 343 41.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Which is ironic, because his first Tweet about claimed it was a display and then he updated it to say he was wrong and it would be an iMac. So he was wrong about being wrong. :)

I didn't think Apple was this dumb, but I guess I was wrong.

I wonder how many Apple Studio Display cancellations the Apple Store is recording this morning. :p
This will be a very strange rollout if true.

I mean let's be clear that this ProMotion display will be much more expensive than the Studio Display. Ross expects the price point to fall between the SD and XDR. If you are like me and didn't want to even pay that much for the SD you aren't going to have any buyers remorse. But if you were willing to shell out more and then this ProMotion display comes at WWDC. Well then...:mad:

MCK tweeted that we will see the iMac Pro in 2023. I'm curious if Apple will release this panel as both a display and AIO.

Reactions: CWallace

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I mean let's be clear that this ProMotion display will be much more expensive than the Studio Display.

I would not at all be surprised if Apple sets the price at $1999 to account for MiniLED and ProMotion. Add in the $400 for the tilt- and height-adjustable stand and you are very close to the $2500 rumors we were first hearing.

Juuro

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2006
Germany
I would not at all be surprised if Apple sets the price at $1999 to account for MiniLED and ProMotion. Add in the $400 for the tilt- and height-adjustable stand and you are very close to the $2500 rumors we were first hearing.
If they would do that many people would probably get mad. For someone who gets a Mac Studio + Studio Display another $400 are maybe not that much. ?

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
If they would do that many people would probably get mad. For someone who gets a Mac Studio + Studio Display another $400 are maybe not that much. ?

Oh I am sure there will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth, considering how many have expressed the opinion that the current ASD is still overpriced even if it had MiniLED and ProMotion.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I see no way it would ever be that cheap. It would make the ASD completely redundant.

The absolute lowest I could see it going for is $2,500 and that would be with a tilt stand.

Juuro

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2006
Germany
I see no way it would ever be that cheap. It would make the ASD completely redundant.

The absolute lowest I could see it going for is $2,500 and that would be with a tilt stand.
The calculation of @CWallace resulted in $2399 for the MiniLED ProMotion version including the tilt stand. So you are basically at the same price. ?
For me who would get the Vesa option I would also scratch my head if I could get MiniLED and ProMotion for only $400 more. Although I didn't even recognize ProMotion on the MacBook Pros.

Last edited:
Reactions: CWallace

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA

Well they can only charge so much more for it considering the iPad Pro 12.9" and MacBook Pro 16" only went up $100 adding Apple Silicon and ProMotion MiniLED. I mean if they add an onboard TB4 controller so it can be a ThunderBolt hub, that would justify a higher price, as well.

They could also sell it for $1999 without a stand. If you want a VESA adapter, it's $199. If you want a stand that offers height, tilt and rotation, it's $499 (half the price of the Pro Display XDR and $100 more than the height-and-tilt-only Apple Studio Display stand).

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Well they can only charge so much more for it considering the iPad Pro 12.9" and MacBook Pro 16" only went up $100 adding Apple Silicon and ProMotion MiniLED. I mean if they add an onboard TB4 controller so it can be a ThunderBolt hub, that would justify a higher price, as well.

They could also sell it for $1999 without a stand. If you want a VESA adapter, it's $199. If you want a stand that offers height, tilt and rotation, it's $499 (half the price of the Pro Display XDR and $100 more than the height-and-tilt-only Apple Studio Display stand).
It just doesn’t make sense to release a new display with the same stand by default that is so similar to the ASD 3 months later for $400 more. There is more to the story here.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
It just doesn’t make sense to release a new display with the same stand by default that is so similar to the ASD 3 months later for $400 more. There is more to the story here.

It *could* be the 32" 6K display that was reported as being developed alongside the 27" 5K display and 24" 4K display, but Ross Young says 27" and he's 100% on display rumors.

And I do not expect Apple to release a 32" 6K MiniLED ProMotion display until they have the replacement for the Pro Display XDR ready (which is rumored to be ~37" and 7K) and it does not sound like it is something Apple would have ready by WWDC when this new 27" display is said to be coming out.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Gurman says the iMac Pro is still coming. Hmmm....

And how he describes the lineup makes quite a bit of sense I think. Potential to cover all performance and price points.

M2: iMac
M2/M2 Pro: Mac mini
M2 Pro/Max: iMac Pro
M2 Max/Ultra: Mac Studio
M2 Ultra/Extreme: Mac Pro

PNG image.png

Reactions: the future

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Report to us once you see it and see how you feel. I was like you before I saw it in person. ;-)
Well I got my nano ASD. I absolutely love it. Text is clearly softer compared to a glossy display. But as you can see in this photo it's a total game changer for my setup.
Screen Shot 2022-03-21 at 11.47.50 AM.png

Reactions: rkuo and Juuro

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
Congratulations, happy that you are happy. I haven't seen the nano coating on the new display yet (as I just got the normal one) but will see. If the text is less blurred than on iMac/XDR (ie. they improved it further) than I could consider it but otherwise its a no go for me.
However, glad you are liking it, did you get the height adj. stand too?

Well I got my nano ASD. I absolutely love it. Text is clearly softer compared to a glossy display. But as you can see in this photo it's a total game changer for my setup. View attachment 1977858

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Congratulations, happy that you are happy. I haven't seen the nano coating on the new display yet (as I just got the normal one) but will see. If the text is less blurred than on iMac/XDR (ie. they improved it further) than I could consider it but otherwise its a no go for me.
However, glad you are liking it, did you get the height adj. stand too?
No I didn't. My desk by nature already raises the display 5". I find the height perfect because of that.

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
Cool, same here but was wondering what people can say about it. I have sit/stand desk so I'm worried that I might miss this in the future (as I share comp with my partner so maybe it could be an issue).

Anyway, congrats again. Glad you are happy ;-)

No I didn't. My desk by nature already raises the display 5". I find the height perfect because of that.

Reactions: blairh

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
And how he describes the lineup makes quite a bit of sense I think. Potential to cover all performance and price points.

M2: iMac
M2/M2 Pro: Mac mini
M2 Pro/Max: iMac Pro
M2 Max/Ultra: Mac Studio
M2 Ultra/Extreme: Mac Pro

View attachment 1973455
I thought the Pro crowd was especially happy with the Studio as it is not linked to a screen so why crowd that space with an iMac Pro? The ASD is too expensive for consumers. The 24 inch iMac is a much better deal.

ADGrant

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2018
Either a ~30" iMac is coming in late 2023 or Apple feels the 24" size is big enough for anyone who wants an iMac.
They think that the 24" size is big enough for anyone who wants an iMac. If you want a 27" iMac, the Studio monitor will turn any recent Mac into a 27" iMac.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I thought the Pro crowd was especially happy with the Studio as it is not linked to a screen so why crowd that space with an iMac Pro? The ASD is too expensive for consumers. The 24 inch iMac is a much better deal.

Not that it needs to have a Pro label, but a larger iMac with an M1 Pro (or equivalent M2 Pro when the time comes) would fill the lineup nicely - and not necessarily needed for Pros.

Reactions: iPadified

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I find myself in agreement with Renee's opinion: if Mac Studio sells well (and most sell with an Apple Studio Display), that would indicate to Apple there was no compelling need for an iMac Pro. If it does not (or say, sells primarily as the Ultra model and in lower volumes), then this would indicate the market still wants a Pro/Max iMac Pro.

AAPLGeek

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2009
Well I got my nano ASD. I absolutely love it. Text is clearly softer compared to a glossy display. But as you can see in this photo it's a total game changer for my setup. View attachment 1977858

The glare on the glossy panel would be much less of a problem if you didn't use dark mode with bright daylight behind you. The white text on dark background is also much worse for the eyes.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
So now that we are in 2022 and the Mac studio had arrived After using it I can say that it is not for everyone and in some cases may be overkill
It has great power and capabilities However it’s in a different category than an iMac And for that reason I do believe at some point the iMac 27” pro will appear

Reactions: fcracer

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
The glare on the glossy panel would be much less of a problem if you didn't use dark mode with bright daylight behind you. The white text on dark background is also much worse for the eyes.
I find white backgrounds to be much harder on my eyes. I always use dark mode now for everything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.