Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
Seeing how that is the biggest digital streaming service of bought movies, it made the Apple TV seem very limited by not offering it and just its own iTunes store

blu-rays today come with a Vudu digital code and MAYBE the option for an iTunes digital copy

wvuwhat

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
Seeing how that is the biggest digital streaming service of bought movies, it made the Apple TV seem very limited by not offering it and just its own iTunes store

blu-rays today come with a Vudu digital code and MAYBE the option for an iTunes digital copy

It's going to be a deal breaker if it doesn't include VUDU. I've got 50 some-odd iTunes movies/shows, but over 150 on VUDU.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
It's going to be a deal breaker if it doesn't include VUDU. I've got 50 some-odd iTunes movies/shows, but over 150 on VUDU.

same, I have around 50 iTunes movies, but stopped adding to iTunes long time ago, I have 200+ on Vudu, my brother and I share the same account

no Vudu no buy

littlepooch21

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2010
This right there. I would probably get one if it had Vudu. If Apple would just bundle iTunes Digital with movies then it wouldn't matter but I'm not going to pay $20 plus for iTunes Digital when I can get the physical movie for about the same price with the Vudu copy

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
This right there. I would probably get one if it had Vudu. If Apple would just bundle iTunes Digital with movies then it wouldn't matter but I'm not going to pay $20 plus for iTunes Digital when I can get the physical movie for about the same price with the Vudu copy

Its the movie studios who decide if they will give out iTunes digital copies with blu-rays not Apple.

If Vudu wants to be on this new ATV then they will. They already have iOS apps so a tvOS app can't be that hard.

JRobinsonJr

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2015
Arlington, Texas
I will 100% agree that Vudu is the 'killer movie app' that is currently missing, with Amazon being #2. However, I would actually prefer an alternate approach. When we purchase movies from Apple they get a cut of the profit then pass along everything else to the studios. IF Apple was to join the Ultraviolet consortium (yeah... I know... when hell freezes over) then it simply wouldn't matter. VUDU wouldn't matter because Apple would be the single point of front-end access for all my movies. On other devices Vudu would work just as well. And either way I would have access to a full library.

1. Apple would still get a cut of the sales
2. Apple would still own the user experience on Apple devices
3. Users/Customers would have an even bigger reason to purchase through Apple

Everyone wins!

RollTide1017

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2009
Montgomery, AL
I will 100% agree that Vudu is the 'killer movie app' that is currently missing, with Amazon being #2. However, I would actually prefer an alternate approach. When we purchase movies from Apple they get a cut of the profit then pass along everything else to the studios. IF Apple was to join the Ultraviolet consortium (yeah... I know... when hell freezes over) then it simply wouldn't matter. VUDU wouldn't matter because Apple would be the single point of front-end access for all my movies. On other devices Vudu would work just as well. And either way I would have access to a full library.

Everyone wins!

Does Apple, Vudu or any other digital movie retailer get a cut when you use a digital copy code? Does Ultraviolet pay a % to all retailers who sign up? Maybe this is Apple's sticking point.

JRobinsonJr

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2015
Arlington, Texas
Does Apple, Vudu or any other digital movie retailer get a cut when you use a digital copy code? Does Ultraviolet pay a % to all retailers who sign up? Maybe this is Apple's sticking point.

Fair comment, but I was looking at it from a sales perspective rather than code redemption. I don't buy disks anymore, so if Apple was linked with Ultraviolet and I made a purchase, Apple would still get a cut of the profit. How much? No idea, but other than the percentage it would be the same sales model.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012

Everyone wins!

And Apple and Google join forces to make a single cell phone

jfreak623

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2007

This is huge. I want a Apple TV but don't want to lose the capability to watch my VUDU collection. If they allow it on the iPhone, not sure why not through the TV app store.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
This is huge. I want a Apple TV but don't want to lose the capability to watch my VUDU collection. If they allow it on the iPhone, not sure why not through the TV app store.

Apple blocked Vudu because they want to push their own iTunes movies on Apple TV, hopefully that changes

and before Apple apologists says it's Vudu's doing, Vudu doesn't make hardware, they're on every single streaming hardware except Apple TV

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Apple blocked Vudu because they want to push their own iTunes movies on Apple TV, hopefully that changes

and before Apple apologists says it's Vudu's doing, Vudu doesn't make hardware, they're on every single streaming hardware except Apple TV

Apple doesn't make third party apps. If Vudu wants an apple tv app, they will have to make it. Apple only blocks apps that violate its TOA.

inkahauts

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
Seems to me that without a tv App Store Apple had to decide internally exactly what apps could be made for their Apple TV. I wouldn't be surprised if people had to pay to even get their apps onto the old apple tvs.

With the new one and the fact it's now going to have an actual App Store id be disappointed if Amazon and vudu didn't create an app for the new appletv.

However AirPlay gets around all this does it not anyway??? Just sayin I can watch my Amazon prime air played...

I blame Apple for not having an App Store sooner. I'll blame vudu and Amazon for not having apps before thanks giving.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
Apple doesn't make third party apps. If Vudu wants an apple tv app, they will have to make it. Apple only blocks apps that violate its TOA.

Apple has the final say on what is allowed on Apple TV, it's not as simple as just following the TOA and you're in

You can't be that naive

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Apple has the final say on what is allowed on Apple TV, it's not as simple as just following the TOA and you're in

You can't be that naive

You plainly said Apple did not want Vudu on Apple TV (even though it is on other iOS Devices) but presented no proof of that.

I for one know some companies did not want to develop for ATV 1-3 because they did not like the UI Apple wanted everyone to use. No where was it reported Apple refused Vudu/Amazon/Play Store because of competition

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
You plainly said Apple did not want Vudu on Apple TV (even though it is on other iOS Devices) but presented no proof of that.

I for one know some companies did not want to develop for ATV 1-3 because they did not like the UI Apple wanted everyone to use. No where was it reported Apple refused Vudu/Amazon/Play Store because of competition

No one has hard proof, it's a theory

They want to push iTunes movies, so you think it's coincidence that no other digital movie purchasing apps are available on Apple TV?

You think it's coincidence that there was never Spotify on Apple TV but beats got added to it after Apple bought them?

Again, not rocket science to see what Apple is doing here

RollTide1017

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2009
Montgomery, AL
I think the App Store on the new Apple TV will change all this, making it easier for Vudu, or anyone, to get their app on the device. No more closed door meetings with Apple to get your app on ATV, as long as it follows the App Store guidelines it will probably show up.

I feel pretty confident that we will get a Vudu app eventually but, it will be just like the iOS app and only allow you to view your collection. iTunes will remain the only place to directly buy movies and tv shows on the Apple TV, similar to iOS.

Kurri

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2009
I'm actually thinking about getting a roku 4 to compliment the new apple tv. I love apples eco system but have a ton of VUDU movies.

dearfriendx

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2011
San Diego, CA
When purchasing Blu-rays I don't even wanna buy movies with VUDU or Ultra Violet digital versions. That's how much I like having my library Apple only.

hakuryuu

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2007
Lomita, CA
When purchasing Blu-rays I don't even wanna buy movies with VUDU or Ultra Violet digital versions. That's how much I like having my library Apple only.

I will say it definitely plays into my decision making, but if they don't have an iTunes copy it isn't the end of the world. I have a PC with a blu-ray drive so I just rip and convert it with handbrake. This has worked fine with Home Sharing but with the Plex app for ATv4 coming soon I will be setting up that for most stuff.

Edit: I've never once used Vudu or Ultra Violet. I have no desire to do so.

Last edited:

sigftw

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2015
Crystal Palace, London, England
This was the update page notes for the iOS app. "You currently cannot purchase or rent titles via the app". Let's focus on the word "Currently". Makes me think there may possibly be no
negotiations underway.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-10-29 at 8.52.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-10-29 at 8.52.47 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 294
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.